Sign in to follow this  
IMMensaMind

++ UPDATE: 4-Game Suspension Upheld - 11 of 12 footballs NE used were deflated 2psi!

Lol. Dean Blandino - NFL VP OFFICIATING - SuperBowl press conference = "leaked media report from anonymous source". :first:

I stopped paying attention to the links you clowns bring once Drobs started linking to some Buttstonian blogger named tammyfayesomethingorother. :overhead:

Get back to me when the NFL investigation clears the Cheatriots, Mmmmmkay?

And?............

dumba$$ Pole.

Congrats to the Pats and their Infamy. :first: *

That is a clear case of cheating but that's neither here nor there. He was punished for it and the case was resolved

I stopped paying attention to the links you clowns bring once Drobs started linking to some Buttstonian blogger named tammyfayesomethingorother. :overhead:

Get back to me when the NFL investigation clears the Cheatriots, Mmmmmkay?

Maybe you should stop commenting too then so you don't come off sounding like an ignorant jackass. :dunno:

Maybe you should stop commenting too then so you don't come off sounding like an ignorant jackass. :dunno:

That title has been locked up by all the Cheatriot lemmings the second you clowns started blaming the weather. :overhead:

you mean by the cowboys, browns and others pointed out in the article, yeah you hacks never address them.

The Cowboys and Redskins who lost cap money as a punishment i believe?

Did anyone really defend that?

No.

Pathetic attempts at deflection...and you think winning 10 years ago is why some hate the pats?

Its the arrogant, whiny, entitled attitude of their dickbag fans.

• Like 1

That title has been locked up by all the Cheatriot lemmings the second you clowns started blaming the weather. :overhead:

You're right, the laws of physics magically get suspended on the football field. :thumbsup:

You're right, the laws of physics magically get suspended on the football field. :thumbsup:

19 degrees when the Cowboys played Green Bay. If your "laws of physics" worked they would have been playing with footballs shaped like frisbees.

• Like 1

19 degrees when the Cowboys played Green Bay. If your "laws of physics" worked they would have been playing with footballs shaped like frisbees.

:first:

Nicely done Hank

I have said that before too, what about lower temp games like the one championship game between Giants and GB a few years back which was even colder.

Then you would start having balls split the damn shoelaces when sitting in Florida's sun with the ball surface probably sitting at over 110°F in August and September.

Basically what the Columbia physicists said when the NFL asked them to do some research. They didn't even waste their time with the request.

Plus, as has been pointed out....50 degrees isn't that cold if you're from Green Bay or Chicago or KC. Half the season is played in temps colder than that....sometimes 50-60 degrees colder. If you lose 1-2 psi from a ~20 degree temp drop, how can you even throw a football in a ~70 temp drop?

Guess Foxboro has a special set of laws it abides by.....even in the physical universe.

You had some great posts in this thread before you took offense to some of the vitriol being thrown around.

The above post runs counter to everything that I can see the NFL wanting to do. They've gone on an advertising blitz to show how they care about preventing concussions (they don't), and they have worked hard to distance/better themselves with regard to domestic abuse and 'criminal elements' in the player ranks. The last thing they want is another controversy - especially one involving previously proven cheating Patriots skirting rules again.

What's weird to me is that Goodell would set up a sting operation in the first place. Obviously Goody has it in for Bill. And Bob is in a bad place.

Bill jilted Goodell on Spygate. Bill was fined $500,000 personally by the NFL for his part in Spygate, and - as part of the punishment - Bill was supposed to make a specific public statement, which he intentionally neglected to do.

Goodell was very angry with Bill for the slight, and I'm sure that Goodell remembers.

Bill jilted Goodell on Spygate. Bill was fined $500,000 personally by the NFL for his part in Spygate, and - as part of the punishment - Bill was supposed to make a specific public statement, which he intentionally neglected to do.

Goodell was very angry with Bill for the slight, and I'm sure that Goodell remembers.

So you agree that this is all based on bullsh!t vendettas against Belichick and the Pats :first:

So you agree that this is all based on bullsh!t vendettas against Belichick and the Pats :first:

You should focus more on putting facts in your head rather than words in other's mouths.

Basically what the Columbia physicists said when the NFL asked them to do some research. They didn't even waste their time with the request.

Plus, as has been pointed out....50 degrees isn't that cold if you're from Green Bay or Chicago or KC. Half the season is played in temps colder than that....sometimes 50-60 degrees colder. If you lose 1-2 psi from a ~20 degree temp drop, how can you even throw a football in a ~70 temp drop?

Guess Foxboro has a special set of laws it abides by.....even in the physical universe.

I don't know about Columbia physicists, but other have taken up the research and said it's completely feasible. Here is a link to a paper from HeadSmart labs out of Pittsburgh.

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/HeadSmart%20Labs%20DeflateGate%20Lab%20Report.pdf

These findings support the fact that due to the rainy conditions

and a 25°F decrease in the footballs’ temperatures, it is

expected that the footballs would experience a pressure

decrease of about 1.82 psi.

As I understand it, the rough equation is 1lb per 20 degrees, disregarding other variables like moisture and ball contraction. So a 70 degree drop would translate to around 3.5lbs. So if you started at 13lbs, you'd be looking a 9.5lbs psi. People act like this would be a sponge, but a regulation basketball has 7.5-8.5 lbs psi.

Part of the misunderstanding comes from not understanding absolute pressure vs gauge pressure IMO. Gauge pressure is a DIFFERENCE between the internal pressure of the ball, or absolute pressure, and external atmospheric pressure - 14.7lbs at sea level. So a ball that GAUGES to 12.5lbs, has an actual internal pressure of 27.2 psi, so 3.5 lbs isn't the change people think it is, and 1-2 lbs absolutely (see what I did there?) isn't the change people think it is.

I don't know about Columbia physicists, but other have taken up the research and said it's completely feasible. Here is a link to a paper from HeadSmart labs out of Pittsburgh. file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/HeadSmart%20Labs%20DeflateGate%20Lab%20Report.pdf As I understand it, the rough equation is 1lb per 20 degrees, disregarding other variables like moisture and ball contraction. So a 70 degree drop would translate to around 3.5lbs. So if you started at 13lbs, you'd be looking a 9.5lbs psi. People act like this would be a sponge, but a regulation basketball has 7.5-8.5 lbs psi. Part of the misunderstanding comes from not understanding absolute pressure vs gauge pressure IMO. Gauge pressure is a DIFFERENCE between the internal pressure of the ball, or absolute pressure, and external atmospheric pressure - 14.7lbs at sea level. So a ball that GAUGES to 12.5lbs, has an actual internal pressure of 27.2 psi, so 3.5 lbs isn't the change people think it is, and 1-2 lbs absolutely (see what I did there?) isn't the change people think it is.

All these reports are fine, but a major variable that I'm not hearing discussed is the beginning temperature of the air put in the balls. That has as much a bearing as any atmospheric factor.

And it also does not address that Indy's footballs didn't appear to suffer the same fate.

I'll also point out something else: since Green Bay plays in the coldest market in the US (other than this year's Vikings team, which had to play outdoors), it is entirely logical that Aaron Rodgers preferred overinflated balls because of this exact factor: in Green Bay, the ball would naturally lose much more pressure than in warmer stadiums.

All these reports are fine, but a major variable that I'm not hearing discussed is the beginning temperature of the air put in the balls. That has as much a bearing as any atmospheric factor.

And it also does not address that Indy's footballs didn't appear to suffer the same fate.

I'll also point out something else: since Green Bay plays in the coldest market in the US (other than this year's Vikings team, which had to play outdoors), it is entirely logical that Aaron Rodgers preferred overinflated balls because of this exact factor: in Green Bay, the ball would naturally lose much more pressure than in warmer stadiums.

Agreed. That's one of the mysteries I'm still curious to hear more about. It's possible the Colts balls weren't as wet because they weren't used very much. :)

You should focus more on putting facts in your head rather than words in other's mouths.

Your words buddy. And apparently brilliant words at that since you're such a focking genius :lol: :first:

Agreed. That's one of the mysteries I'm still curious to hear more about. It's possible the Colts balls weren't as wet because they weren't used very much. :)

We don't know that the Colts' balls didn't lose any PSI. We have no before and after basis of comparison, with either the Colts OR the Pats.

So any statement that the Colts' balls weren't affected is pure speculation.

I thought your position was we couldn't come to any conclusions from reports.....we had to wait for the official NFL investigation.

Now you are coming to conclusions off of what an anonymous poster on a lightly trafficked message board posts.

Seems inconsistent to me.

We don't know that the Colts' balls didn't lose any PSI. We have no before and after basis of comparison, with either the Colts OR the Pats.

I know, that's why I termed it a mystery. :dunno:

this is absolutely 100% correct.

What was the psi of the colts balls 2 hours before the game and what were they at half time.

How did science not affect their balls ?

If you do not know the before and the after, all you are doing is making assumptions.

Problem is we also don't know if everyone else footballs were deflating in the cold weather either. No one has done a study on it or inspected the footballs for the psi during or after the game. That type of inspection probably become moot after the first inspection if a psi check was even done. So a lot of other teams could have played with under inflated balls but we don't know.

Obviously a change will be needed by the nfl. Have the psi checked before the game and at half time. If any are found to be lacking then just put some more air in it. Also, someone affiliated with the nfl, not the teams, needs to be in charge of the game balls. This will clear any suspicion of one team trying to gain an advantage (although there could always be the old "he paid the guy to manipulate the balls" excuse but that's a bridge we will cross when we get there)

Careful grasping at straws; you might break a nail.

Has the NFL ever recorded those readings in other games? I'm guessing the answer to that is no or that it's normal not to record those readings. With that being said, of course there's no point of reference.

So it's clear that the entire league lets air out of the balls because we have no data to prove otherwise. :doh: X infinity.

I thought your position was we couldn't come to any conclusions from reports.....we had to wait for the official NFL investigation.

Now you are coming to conclusions off of what an anonymous poster on a lightly trafficked message board posts.

Seems inconsistent to me.

I suspect a lot of things don't make sense to you :first:

I suspect a lot of things don't make sense to you :first:

Where did I say it didn't make sense? You are a Hoodie nutswinger, so your inconsistency is predictable.

Makes perfect sense, Sport. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Careful grasping at straws; you might break a nail.

Has the NFL ever recorded those readings in other games? I'm guessing the answer to that is no or that it's normal not to record those readings. With that being said, of course there's no point of reference.

So it's clear that the entire league lets air out of the balls because we have no data to prove otherwise. :doh: X infinity.

Your last paragraph makes no sense.

As for the rest, it appears that the refs may not always, or perhaps even rarely, gauge the actual PSI of the balls and never log this information. Under those circumstances it is simply impossible to say that tampering occurred unless you have some real hard evidence, like video or a photo or an admission.

That's just the reality of the situation. Sorry you don't like it but it sure as sh!t isn't "grasping at straws" :dunno:

As for the rest, it appears that the refs may not always, or perhaps even rarely, gauge the actual PSI of the balls and never log this information. Under those circumstances it is simply impossible to say that tampering occurred unless you have some real hard evidence, like video or a photo or an admission.

That's just the reality of the situation. Sorry you don't like it but it sure as sh!t isn't "grasping at straws" :dunno:

More assumptions based on reports.

Warm the oven up, get it ready for lots of humble pie http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/30/sports/football/deflation-experiments-show-patriots-may-have-science-on-their-side-after-all.html?_r=1&referrer=

a Point After All

By JAMES GLANZ

JANUARY 29, 2015

Thomas Healy does not have tickets to the Super Bowl, but he plans to fly to Phoenix with something that is even harder to come by than seats at Sundays game: the first detailed, experimental data on how atmospheric conditions might have reduced the air pressure in footballs used by the New England Patriots in their victory over the Indianapolis Colts nearly two weeks ago.

Those footballs, which the N.F.L. has said were deflated to pressures below league standards, have created a national meta-bowl whose outcome is seemingly as important as who wins on Sunday. The question driving the public dialogue is whether the Patriots tampered with the balls to make them easier to handle, or whether simply moving them from the warmth of a locker room to the chill and dampness of the field could account for the deflation.

The Patriots have absorbed a beating in that larger contest, with many scientists concluding that only the surreptitious hiss of air being released from the balls could explain the difference. But now the Patriots have started to rally, and in a big way. Healy, who provided The New York Times with an advance copy of his technical paper on the experiments, concluded that most or all of the deflation could be explained by those environmental effects.

This analysis looks solid to me, said Max Tegmark, a professor of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology who reviewed the paper at The Timess request. To me, their measurements mean that theres no evidence of foul play.

We know the Colts balls were legal before the game and know they were fine at halftime.

We know the Colts balls were legal before the game and know they were fine at halftime.

did they change ?

So basically...without a video or photo...no matter what the NFL says...you will cling to the Pats being innocent of everything and it was all just the weather?

Ooof.

did they change ?

Don't know...they have not released such information.

We know they were legal and the Pats weren't.

You all contend it was all just the weather...despite numerous cold and colder games having been played without having such investigations.

Its ok to admit you are hoping and grasping at anything you can...its obvious to everyone.

• Like 1

I can't help with your reading comprehension.

It's been stated by Chris Mortensen, Jason LaCanfora, etc that only the Patriot balls were found to be under inflated hence the investigation. You point to the lack of recorded data that is never recorded as being proof that no one knows if the Indy balls weren't affected too. Pointing at something that can't exist (they don't record that data) as proof is the grasping at straws.

Don't they inflate the balls at the start of the game? If not, the balls found to be under or over inflated at the start of the game when measuring the psi, they would just adjust the pressure in the substandard balls. :doh: Not a hard concept to understand.

One other thing to keep in mind too; the Ravens were concerned about the Pats using deflated balls during their kickoffs/punts as well. This wasn't an isolated incident and the Pats shouldn't even have made it past divisional weekend. :thumbsdown:

I can't help with your reading comprehension.

It's been stated by Chris Mortensen, Jason LaCanfora, etc that only the Patriot balls were found to be under inflated hence the investigation. You point to the lack of recorded data that is never recorded as being proof that no one knows if the Indy balls weren't affected too. Pointing at something that can't exist (they don't record that data) as proof is the grasping at straws.

Don't they inflate the balls at the start of the game? If not, the balls found to be under or over inflated at the start of the game when measuring the psi, they would just adjust the pressure in the substandard balls. :doh: Not a hard concept to understand.

One other thing to keep in mind too; the Ravens were concerned about the Pats using deflated balls during their kickoffs/punts as well. This wasn't an isolated incident and the Pats shouldn't even have made it past divisional weekend. :thumbsdown:

well the ravens shouldn't have choked away 2 - 14 point leads. If they're bum coach was more worried about game planning and in game adjustments than the mystery cheating boogie man, maybe they wouldn't have failed so miserably.

well the ravens shouldn't have choked away 2 - 14 point leads. If they're bum coach was more worried about game planning and in game adjustments than the mystery cheating boogie man, maybe they wouldn't have failed so miserably.

doesn't get it.

So cheating by using deflated footballs is acceptable and it's on the opponent's coach to overcome the Pats' cheating?

Stay classy New England. :rolleyes: