Sign in to follow this  
MD Jet

Fantasy Etiquette Question

Keeper Etiquette  

37 members have voted

1. 1. If someone in your league asks you to review his roster and tell him who are his good keepers, do you help?

• Yes
    • No

So, this happened in my league. What do you think. If someone in your league asks you to look over his roster and tell him who you think are his good keepers, what do you do?

So, this happened in my league. What do you think. If someone in your league asks you to look over his roster and tell him who you think are his good keepers, what do you do?

Most likely no. If you dont want to feel like you are being dishonest, just ask him who he is thinking first and then agree. I am never going to flat out lie to anyone though. Before a draft i dont talk much about what i think of players, but afterward i like to chat all day.

I am in a league with 23 other folks. We keep 3 or 4- your choice. All keepers count as your early picks. You Must keep 3 which would be your first 3 rounds. There is not a lot of money on this and we are all friends so to speak. If someone asks then I tell them what I think and remind them that it is only my opinion. You get what you pay for.

He's probably gonna pick the best 4 anyways.

I'd help, but not too much. If you give him too much information and things dont work out, he could blame you for giving him bad advice (which you dont want either)

on any team, there is almost always one or two obvious keepers that nobody will dispute. Might as well list them as for sure keepers.

the ones who arent obvious or if there are 2 or 3 he could choose as keepers when there's only 1 spot left, I'd just tell him the good and bad about each player and let him make his own call. Just politely explain that you cant make this call for him because the decision to keep one or the other likely comes down to personal preference.

you arent lying or giving misinformation, you're calling it as you see it.

nothing wrong with that.

I think this goes under the "Do onto others...". Everyone is different and while I'll never ask any of my league mates opinions on my roster or potential moves, other people need reassurance. It's a personality thing.

For me, I rather they think I'm a D**K for not commenting or saying no and hopefully they'll never ask again.But, if you are the type of person that would do the same, by all means help away.

The fact that you're asking the question tells me that you wouldn't ask for yourself, but you don't want to come off as a D**K. Would you let your friend ride around on a bike with training wheels?

I'm an open book. I play for fun and minimal money. I usually know most trades before they go through because people will ask me my opinion before they accept. Often times both sides are texting me at the same time and I tell them about the other person also asking for advice. I answer all the questions honestly as if I were in their shoes.

OK, so here's what actually happened. We are allowed two keepers in our league. Guy calls me and another guy up and asks what we think about John Brown as a keeper - he'd have to give up a 9th round pick. I tell him I think Brown is a decent keeper - probably would go 8th in our league, so giving up a 9th is reasonable. He then asks us if we can look at the rest of his roster and tell him if there's anyone else we think would be a good keeper. He's got Lamar Miller on his roster, for whom he'd have to give up a 5th - clear keeper. Neither me nor the other guy say anything. We don't say, "No, there's no one else." We just say nothing. Keeper deadline passes yesterday and now he's pissed we didn't tell him to keep Miller.

My feeling has been if someone asks me a pointed question about a particular guy - like he did with Brown - I'll be honest. If he had done that with Miller, I'd have done the same. But to tell me to review his whole roster and tell him who his good keepers are? Is that my job? It would have taken less than 30 seconds to look at any fantasy rankings or ADP on any website to see Miller is probably a 3rd rounder (maybe earlier in a keeper league).

Am I wrong? Honestly, tell me if I am. Because he's pitching a fit.

OK, so here's what actually happened. We are allowed two keepers in our league. Guy calls me and another guy up and asks what we think about John Brown as a keeper - he'd have to give up a 9th round pick. I tell him I think Brown is a decent keeper - probably would go 8th in our league, so giving up a 9th is reasonable. He then asks us if we can look at the rest of his roster and tell him if there's anyone else we think would be a good keeper. He's got Lamar Miller on his roster, for whom he'd have to give up a 5th - clear keeper. Neither me nor the other guy say anything. We don't say, "No, there's no one else." We just say nothing. Keeper deadline passes yesterday and now he's pissed we didn't tell him to keep Miller.

My feeling has been if someone asks me a pointed question about a particular guy - like he did with Brown - I'll be honest. If he had done that with Miller, I'd have done the same. But to tell me to review his whole roster and tell him who his good keepers are? Is that my job? It would have taken less than 30 seconds to look at any fantasy rankings or ADP on any website to see Miller is probably a 3rd rounder (maybe earlier in a keeper league).

Tell him you charge by the minute for FF advice. If this league is for money tell him to do his own homework and unless he plans to split the money with you when he wins to go have sexual relations with himself. I wouldn't give him bad information, but I wouldn't help him either. If it's not for money then maybe I would have helped if I had the interest and the time.

Tell him you charge by the minute for FF advice. If this league is for money tell him to do his own homework and unless he plans to split the money with you when he wins to go have sexual relations with himself. I wouldn't give him bad information, but I wouldn't help him either. If it's not for money then maybe I would have helped if I had the interest and the time.

It is for money. The part about doing his own homework or splitting the winnings is exactly what the other guy who was asked told him.

He is pitching a fit? Tell him to go eat a fat babies dlck. Tell him its not your job to babysit someone who doesnt know how to play the game. If hes new, tell him you had to learn this stuff on your own too. Its part of learning how to play the game. I would have no tolerance for someone who blamed me for them making a bad decision.

It is for money. The part about doing his own homework or splitting the winnings is exactly what the other guy who was asked told him.

I don't see a reason to feel guilty then. He knows it's a competition so he shouldn't expect help from anyone who is competing with him. He should only be mad at himself. If you were on the same team working towards the same goal then it would be different.

I only play in leagues with friends so I would have helped him. However, I don't believe he has any right to be upset.

I only play in leagues with friends so I would have helped him. However, I don't believe he has any right to be upset.

You need that killer instinct if you want to win!

He's actually my best friend. But again, I don't think he should rely on someone else in a money league to tell him who to keep. If he asked me a direct question about Miller, I would have honestly answered that I thought he was a good keeper. You have to at least do enough homework to know who you should be considering.

This here. I'm in 3 leagues this year (2 are 20+ yrs old). Every time I bump into one of my league mates/friends we start talking about the league and league mates and player rankings...etc. Most of the time we're just blowing smoke up each others a$$. It's the game within the game and makes for a few laughs during the draft.

If I didn't know everyone in the league, I would probably keep my mouth shut. I don't play in leagues where I don't know anyone, though.

As for the OP. He's your best friend help the douche bag out for pete's sake. Buy him a 30 pack.

I'm an open book. I play for fun and minimal money. I usually know most trades before they go through because people will ask me my opinion before they accept. Often times both sides are texting me at the same time and I tell them about the other person also asking for advice. I answer all the questions honestly as if I were in their shoes.

Me too on most of this.

Not that I can't see the other side, its certainly not a responsibility as a good league mate or anything like that.....more of a personal philosophy which has little to do with FF.

I will say this though......... over the years beyond having made some friends in leagues in part due to this attitude, I have developed a bit of a network. As these advice askers "grow up" you are bound to find that they have useful info on their home team and other areas as well.

There are some leagues I am in where everybody is more along the lines of every man for himself, but having several leagues where I have several guys within each league with whom I would describe as more co-opetition than competition has helped me be more knowledgeable and boosted my performance overall IMO. I think you can share information freely with competition and still be strongly competitive within a single league, but the real key is that you can multiply that effect and gain overall advantage.

So anyway........ if you want to justify being kind............ you can do so by considering that in the end it might be the most selfish thing you can do.

Wow, this has started to wax really philosophical. This isn't an online league with strangers where we don't know each other. This is a league of old college buddies. But every year he asks me who he should keep. And then makes fun of those of us who do prepare for the draft.

Wow, this has started to wax really philosophical. This isn't an online league with strangers where we don't know each other. This is a league of old college buddies. But every year he asks me who he should keep. And then makes fun of those of us who do prepare for the draft.

I personally wasn't trying to get philosophical or even tell you what I think you should do.

Live and let live, everybody is different.

I was answering the question and relating my own point of view.

It sounds like he is an a** if he makes fun of how serious you take the competitive aspect after asking for your help.

People should be informed and responsible for making their own choices. No one forced them to join the league right? But if you feel bad chances are not saying anything in response to his question was likely the wrong thing to do. When I am asked such things I give my honest answer. My logic? Someday I might have a question and maybe this guy has the answer. Much of FF is luck anyway. Do you really think not mentioning Lamar Miller gave you that big an advantage?

Yes I would help them. But to a certain extent. I'd ask them who they thought about keeping first. Then I'd probably agree with them but if there was a sleeper on their team that they weren't keeping I wouldn't tell them. They just need to keep the best people regardless

Ultimately, I think you gave him what he wanted. It seems he wanted to shift the responsibility of who he should or should not keep onto someone else. Since you nor the other guy helped him, he can now blame either of you for a decision he should have made himself. If he got mad at you for not helping him, then he likely would have gotten mad at you if you told him to keep somebody he shouldn't or vice versa. When I originally posted I didn't realize it was your friend so you may have wanted to help him for reasons outside of ff. But overall it's a minor thing, as long as your not bangin' his girl or something you guys should be alright.

• Like 1

I always feel I draft the best, so I warn people they better take somebody who plays for there favorite team. Part of the fun for me is everyone enjoys playing as much as me. With that said I warned a Rams fan to take Trent Green 1 year. He got hurt and I was able to figure out through a magazine who was number 2 QB and didn't tell him. That year I picked up Kurt Warner and its fantasy football memories I will always look back on.

If it's a small money league, or just for fun, then definitely.

well, it seems pretty obvious that Miller would be a clear keeper. if he doesnt recognize that, he probably shouldnt be playing fantasy football.

that being said, like I said in my post above, If there was an obvious keeper, I'd say so.

especially if the guy is your friend.

either way, he has likely learned at least one good lesson here: do your homework and dont count on others to do it for you.

I ask questions of friends within the same league when I'm sitting on the fence or just if I wanted another take on a situation, but I dont usually ask them if they can possibly benefit from my choice. I also take their advice with a grain of salt. Usually when I ask a question, I have my own answer in the back of my mind, but want to hear someone elses take before making a final call. if their logic process seems better than mine, I change my mind. If I dont like their logic behind their explanation, I stick to my guns (which is what usually happens)

anyhow, I hope it all works out for you and your friend.

It can only end badly; your case in point. Either way you end up being the douche, either you advised him wrong or you didn't help him enough. He is pissed now but what if John Brown blows up this year? Will he remember who steered him right? Probably not...

For me it comes down to trying to gather up as much good will between me and the other owners as possible... so I would absolutely give them advice... with hopes that I'll trade-rape them later in the season.

depends on how cute she is, and whether or not she's a threat to win the title.

otherwise, no. we're in a competition, where people compete because they're competitive.

It takes 10 seconds of internet searching to find an ADP list, then maybe another minute or two comparing your roster from last year to see who might be high picks. If someone can't figure that part out on their own in a money league then I won't help them, even if they are my friend. I might tell them to go search the internet, but I wouldn't give them names.

But if a friend asks me for my opinion on a tough decision and they've obviously done the basic research (for example, "I can only pick one, TY Hilton or Brandin Cooks?"), then I'll probably talk through the pros and cons with them.

All the leagues I am in are live drafts and I known most of them the others owners for a long time so yes I will them , if it's a big money league or not I would still help them out .

I probably would have given him advice, but once he started pitching a fit? Tell him to be a grown ass man.

Ask him why he couldn't do research on Miller a few days earlier to make that decision.