Sign in to follow this  
mmmmm...beer

Anyone had a new house built?

We're thinking about upgrading to a bigger lot/house. We really haven't found anything this season that we couldn't live without. It's now winter and one of my buddies just asked, why don't you just build?

I was all :huh: Cause thats what rich folks do? Heck I dunno.

We want to stay in the same area but maybe out a little?

Definately not in a cookie cutter division. Maybe something a little out of town we can build on?

Anyone done it? Can you offer some advice?

We did it, I used to be a builder after I got off active duty.

One thing I will say as being on both sides, you'd do your builder a great service if you keep the mrs off the job site. Even my wife would go to the place after work and criticize the work or something didn't look right. The house is a work in progress, no need to harp on the guy. Chances are they'll catch everything and if it's bad, you have your walkthroughs to deal with it.

Also pre wire for surround sound, I was always amazed as to how many people didn't. It's very cheap when you just have studs up.

• Like 1

We did it, I used to be a builder after I got off active duty.

One thing I will say as being on both sides, you'd do your builder a great service if you keep the mrs off the job site. Even my wife would go to the place after work and criticize the work or something didn't look right. The house is a work in progress, no need to harp on the guy. Chances are they'll catch everything and if it's bad, you have your walkthroughs to deal with it.

Also pre wire for surround sound, I was always amazed as to how many people didn't. It's very cheap when you just have studs up.

I love the surround sound in the house. It really makes a difference when it's incorporated into it

Yeah we did, just a couple years ago. It is in a cookie cutter development. It's harder to get a loan for something you just have built on your own on an empty lot somewhere. Banks want some assurance that if you default on the loan they will be able to sell the house at decent value.

Make sure you find a good builder. One that has been in business for a while and is there to stay. Some of these operations just build houses for a while then fold up shop in the middle of the night. Good luck getting any help out of them on your warranty or any other issues. Then they pop up somewhere else under a different name building houses again. It's a way for them to avoid liability for shoddy work.

Generally don't go overboard on upgrades - you will never get it back in value added. Just get whatever you need to live in the house for however long you're going to be there. Exceptions are structural components like a fireplace or AC, where it will be less expensive and easier to have that done during the building process and probably will add some value.

Price out any upgrades you do get. It can be cheaper, even a LOT cheaper, to just have it done after the fact. Also you aren't paying interest on it over the course of a 30 year mortgage. On the other hand you need to have the $ available to pay it out of pocket.

Remember there are a lot of costs with a new home. You probably won't have a yard or at least not a backyard, so you'll have to do that. You might not have rain gutters. You won't have window "treatments" (I.e., blinds). That's on top of the usual added costs of new furniture, etc.

On the other hand you shouldn't have to worry about substantial maintenance costs for some time. Insurance will probably be cheaper.

Any other questions? I'm happy to help as we just recently went through the whole damn process. Would probably do it again but the added costs do get you. That's why it's "for rich people" even though the cost of the house isn't really all that much more than an existing home (especially an existing home that was newly renovated)

We have twice...definitely not rich folks. our first little starter was one we had built.

Not sure if Id do it again...or if so only when I could afford to really go custom and get it exactly like I want down to almost every detail.

Agree on wiring...get as much wired in as you can while its just studs. Security systems, surround sound if you want...plenty of network drops (for streaming if you need it and hookups for like XBox live and what not). I wish we had done that then... Getting a drop or outlet is pretty damn cheap and easy at that point in time.

Also depending on builder...know you will spend a good amount of money after on establishing whatever lawn you have. Even when they sod it...my experience with both houses has been builders suck as landscapers. They buy what they can find cheap (both with grass and bushes and stuff) not necessarily what works best for the area. They leave a ton of gravel and rock in the yard and the grass and sod rarely makes it that long without a ton of work.

Id almost see if you can get them to cut the price and leave it just graded out and bring in a real guy or lay the sod yourself right after. Though, with that you also need to realize the topsoil they use (depending on your area) will suck. Which in the south means its full of rock and red clay. Downside to that is it is a decent cost right after moving and like worms said, window treatments and all those little things do end up nickel and diming you in the end too. And some who move may not have the extra cash laying around.

First house we used almost everything just to get into the house.

2nd we were much more prepared.

I had two built in new developments. I would disagree is some cases with Worms on upgrades. If you are like most people, you will never pay for them, or at least much of them. Upgrades are just part of the cost of the house. We were out in eight years. If the Upstairs Jacuzzi or cabinets to the ceiling cost me anything, I never felt it.

If I were you, I would be more worried about the build cost outside of a development where they are not building a hundred (or so) more houses. There is no large subcontracts to spread cost around and no large quantities of materials being purchased to drive down the cost.

Items that were big pluses to me on over buying a preexisting home were getting insulation and wiring that were up to current code where no one had messed anything up. It is also nice to have new pipes and sinks and tubs without the previous owners filth.

Yes.

Back in the mid-2000's when house prices had completely disconnected from reality and any sense of actual market value.

Took some time and when you build it yourself the advantage of being able to essentially customize it results in just hundreds and hundreds of decisions, near the end I was a little done with decisions, lol.

If you have patience, it can be very advantageous, during the housing fraud it was immensely advantageous.

If you had a reputable modular builder in your immediate area I would take a look. They can be highly customized, you'll control costs and you'll shorten your build time to a couple months.

Grab some land and slap a trailer on it. Then say hello to your new neighbor, Sux, for all of us Geeks :wave:

I had two built in new developments. I would disagree is some cases with Worms on upgrades. If you are like most people, you will never pay for them, or at least much of them. Upgrades are just part of the cost of the house. We were out in eight years. If the Upstairs Jacuzzi or cabinets to the ceiling cost me anything, I never felt it.

If I were you, I would be more worried about the build cost outside of a development where they are not building a hundred (or so) more houses. There is no large subcontracts to spread cost around and no large quantities of materials being purchased to drive down the cost.

Items that were big pluses to me on over buying a preexisting home were getting insulation and wiring that were up to current code where no one had messed anything up. It is also nice to have new pipes and sinks and tubs without the previous owners filth.

I can understand going through the hassle if you're planning on living in the home indefinitely, for your "dream home." But why build it if you're planning to move in the future?

I was a concrete contractor in Montana for most of my twenties. I would strongly recommend against foundation work in the wintertime. Even with perfect prep work you can end up with a foundation that is not as strong as one poured in the summertime, and with imperfect preparation you can end up with a house that will quickly have foundation problems.

I can understand going through the hassle if you're planning on living in the home indefinitely, for your "dream home." But why build it if you're planning to move in the future?

It will have more value than an older house all things equal.

The wifey and I have been meeting with builders just in the last week and are strongly considering building. We are going to pass, I think, because it will cost 20+% more than the house will be worth thanks to the myriad of fees, top dollar costs of everything, builder percentage, etc. We'd love to do it, but will pay almost $360 a square foot (including lot), and it would probably appraise in the end for $300.

The wifey and I have been meeting with builders just in the last week and are strongly considering building. We are going to pass, I think, because it will cost 20+% more than the house will be worth thanks to the myriad of fees, top dollar costs of everything, builder percentage, etc. We'd love to do it, but will pay almost $360 a square foot (including lot), and it would probably appraise in the end for $300.

You likely would not be able to obtain a mortgage loan if that were true. At least not without a substantial down payment

Wow, that is high. You are in the east valley, right? What area is that, a Circle G development?

What are they charging psf without the land cost?

We're thinking about upgrading to a bigger lot/house. We really haven't found anything this season that we couldn't live without. It's now winter and one of my buddies just asked, why don't you just build?

I was all :huh: Cause thats what rich folks do? Heck I dunno.

We want to stay in the same area but maybe out a little?

Definately not in a cookie cutter division. Maybe something a little out of town we can build on?

Anyone done it? Can you offer some advice?

When I got married, my fiancee owned a small starter home. When we had our first kid, the house was too small so we bought another. Both homes were new builds, but they were developments, not custom. The pricing here in Phoenix at the time was such that building a new home in a development cost the same as buying an existing home; you could get all of the features/options you wanted, so there were a lot of advantages to it. Fast forward a few kids and we outgrew that home; we looked extensively at new and existing and ended up buying an existing home in a custom area which gave us the opportunity to add on and upgrade. My advice for each scenario would be different, but it sounds like you are considering a new custom build, which we've never done.

That all being said... we had family events which drove us to move. It doesn't seem like you have that; rather it seems like you have "my wife wants to upscale". If that is the case, my advice is to stand pat. I have friends who have done custom new builds and it is a major time commitment (read: pain in the ass). If you want that final dream home, then go for it. If not, pass. :cheers:

When I got married, my fiancee owned a small starter home. When we had our first kid, the house was too small so we bought another. Both homes were new builds, but they were developments, not custom. The pricing here in Phoenix at the time was such that building a new home in a development cost the same as buying an existing home; you could get all of the features/options you wanted, so there were a lot of advantages to it. Fast forward a few kids and we outgrew that home; we looked extensively at new and existing and ended up buying an existing home in a custom area which gave us the opportunity to add on and upgrade. My advice for each scenario would be different, but it sounds like you are considering a new custom build, which we've never done.

That all being said... we had family events which drove us to move. It doesn't seem like you have that; rather it seems like you have "my wife wants to upscale". If that is the case, my advice is to stand pat. I have friends who have done custom new builds and it is a major time commitment (read: pain in the ass). If you want that final dream home, then go for it. If not, pass. :cheers:

Good advice Jerry...

Goodn advice all. Looking into it.

Who planned?

Also, I knew local legislation was restricting building due to water issues. This meant there was more demand than existing housing. I made enough profit to write a check for the house I am in now.

Who planned?

Also, I knew local legislation was restricting building due to water issues. This meant there was more demand than existing housing. I made enough profit to write a check for the house I am in now.

I've just heard too many contractor horror stories. To some extent, they're unavoidable. But a new home seems to amplify the hassle.

And isn't like a new car, where the new home smell fades as soon as you move in?

I've just heard too many contractor horror stories. To some extent, they're unavoidable. But a new home seems to amplify the hassle.

And isn't like a new car, where the new home smell fades as soon as you move in?

Not really and no.

The trick is to pick a good builder. If you do the only real "hassle" is picking all the finishes and whatnot, but that's the exact reason people typically want a new home in the first place. You've got the hassle of financing, signing contracts, selling your existing home, etc. but that is all true of an existing home purchase too.

Probably different for a truly custom build though like mmmbeer seems to be envisioning. Then you're bringing in an architect and you have to build access to the home and figure out water, sewer, connecting to the grid, etc.

As for new home feel wearing off, I'm not sure it ever does. You don't have to worry about anything else anyone ever did to the home except the contractor. No real questions like what's behind the walls, is my electric hopelessly out of date, is my plumbing a ticking time bomb, what's that focking gross spot on the carpet in the basement, etc. Not really a huge deal but it's still something.

Built our new home in a development with a regional company 21 months ago. If I did it again, I would do the following: focus on structural not cosmetic. We could have extended our basement height by 1 foot which makes a big difference for $5500. Didn't do it and regret it due to duct work being low. Instead we did hardwood floors that are getting chewed up by the kids and dog. Be critical with the walk through at the start and one year. It's brand new and should look that way. Some builders will make you think that you are crazy for bringing up even the smallest detail. If it's in a development or not, find houses that the builder has built and ask to see finished models. It

Can be frustrating and rewarding. Take your time and try to make the best decision for you and your new home. Good luck

Built our new home in a development with a regional company 21 months ago. If I did it again, I would do the following: focus on structural not cosmetic. We could have extended our basement height by 1 foot which makes a big difference for $5500. Didn't do it and regret it due to duct work being low. Instead we did hardwood floors that are getting chewed up by the kids and dog. Be critical with the walk through at the start and one year. It's brand new and should look that way. Some builders will make you think that you are crazy for bringing up even the smallest detail. If it's in a development or not, find houses that the builder has built and ask to see finished models. It

Can be frustrating and rewarding. Take your time and try to make the best decision for you and your new home. Good luck

Maybe. I got a call at work and they offered to raise my basement by 2ft, so I said do it,

I had preferred a straight walk out to a patio, had to go with a deck, and add some steps in the garage to enter the house. Not a huge deal, but then during the finishing of the basement I had to bring in 10ft drywall due to the 112 inch walls down there, which was more expensive, and locating a place that sold it proved rather hard too, oddly.

Pain at the time, but having a really tall basement now is cool, and I got it for far less than people were selling for at the time, even less than it would sell for now too. Not sure I would build it now, but at the time, managed to avoid being gouged on the purchase.

Not really and no.

The trick is to pick a good builder. If you do the only real "hassle" is picking all the finishes and whatnot, but that's the exact reason people typically want a new home in the first place. You've got the hassle of financing, signing contracts, selling your existing home, etc. but that is all true of an existing home purchase too.

Probably different for a truly custom build though like mmmbeer seems to be envisioning. Then you're bringing in an architect and you have to build access to the home and figure out water, sewer, connecting to the grid, etc.

As for new home feel wearing off, I'm not sure it ever does. You don't have to worry about anything else anyone ever did to the home except the contractor. No real questions like what's behind the walls, is my electric hopelessly out of date, is my plumbing a ticking time bomb, what's that focking gross spot on the carpet in the basement, etc. Not really a huge deal but it's still something.

Fair enough. Probably a bit different on island, as less competition and more incompetence.

Who am I kidding, I can't afford to build a new home here anyway. The housing prices are higher than the pre-recession real estate bubble now.

Fair enough. Probably a bit different on island, as less competition and more incompetence.

Who am I kidding, I can't afford to build a new home here anyway. The housing prices are higher than the pre-recession real estate bubble now.

It's like that in Seattle now too. People getting in bidding wars over some dilapidated house that needs an extensive reno right off the bat.

It's like that in Seattle now too. People getting in bidding wars over some dilapidated house that needs an extensive reno right off the bat.

It's insane in the Boston suburbs as well. It's all tear downs. My town has had 120 in the past year. All the people trying to get in at median house price and under is competing with builders that will immediately tear down nice well kept houses

Maybe. I got a call at work and they offered to raise my basement by 2ft, so I said do it,

I had preferred a straight walk out to a patio, had to go with a deck, and add some steps in the garage to enter the house. Not a huge deal, but then during the finishing of the basement I had to bring in 10ft drywall due to the 112 inch walls down there, which was more expensive, and locating a place that sold it proved rather hard too, oddly.

Pain at the time, but having a really tall basement now is cool, and I got it for far less than people were selling for at the time, even less than it would sell for now too. Not sure I would build it now, but at the time, managed to avoid being gouged on the purchase.

A good drywaller wouldn't need special order board. Tall basement is fantastic, great move. If it's legitimate space mentally buyers will including it even though it's not part of s.f

It's insane in the Boston suburbs as well. It's all tear downs. My town has had 120 in the past year. All the people trying to get in at median house price and under is competing with builders that will immediately tear down nice well kept houses

Wow. That ain't right, tearing down a perfectly fine house :thumbsdown:

A good drywaller wouldn't need special order board. Tall basement is fantastic, great move. If it's legitimate space mentally buyers will including it even though it's not part of s.f

Not going to suggest this is not true. However, per the Gypsum standards organization, when the wall is taller than 8ft you either use a "ripper" or you hang vertical. If you hand vertical there is 30% less finishing required vs using that ripper. I decided to not use the ripper.