Sign in to follow this  
oldtimer

Will the NFL keep losing fans?

Personally, I think the NFL is as good as it's ever been in terms of competitiveness. I do have some thoughts on why there was a drop in ratings. They are going overboard with the rules and protection of players, these guys know what they are signing up for when they take the bonus money. Most of us diehard fans prefer a little more defense and hard hits anyway.

I think the league changed the rules to generate more offense, not protect the players. They are trying to attract the casual and non-fans. This is a foolish pursuit and is only going to alienate us, the hardcore fan. Which is a contributing factor to the decline.

My girlfriend, drop dead gorgeous love her to death, but she wouldn't watch a second of football. And she sometimes bitches when I watch all day. I don't care how much more offense there is or how much they throw the ball all over the place. She didn't give a damn before and cares even less now. I don't think there is anything that could get her into football. I do know the violence towards women turns her off even more though.

So why go out of your way to try and market to this person? You will never reach them and you will only alienate a hardcore like myself. And if you truly want to get women to watch the games why allow guys like Ray Rice and Greg Hardy continue to play? Bad idea from the get go but I don't think this is the main reason for the decline.

I think the biggest problem is the cost and cable TV. The biggest declines are in the younger people. They are all cutting the cord. You'd have a hard time finding someone under 35 paying for a full cable package and Sunday Ticket. It's just not going to happen. And going to the game is over the top expensive, so forget about that. So they are left with whatever local broadcasting has to offer. If it is not their team or the game is not competitive and interesting (like Dallas vs Washington), no ones going to tune in.

BTW, the Dallas/Washington game crushed last years numbers. Topped the World Series and NBA finals from last year as well I believe. So schedule good games, find a less expensive way to get people the games they want, quit changing rules to favor offense, and your problem is solved. JMTC

My girlfriend, drop dead gorgeous love her to death,

Your 1st post?....you're going to fit right in around here.

Your 1st post?....you're going to fit right in around here.

Haha.....he didn't mention his Ferrari. Missed opportunity.

You absolutely cannot say the NFL is going overboard with player safety and be right. They are trying to adjust the game to reduce injuries, especially brain injuries. It's a shame someone plays a sport and then cannot lead a quality life after they retire. The game also needs to be attractive enough for parents to allow their children to play. If the NFL says just deal with it, but they lose almost all youth participation, well then the sport is definitely dead. I want the sport to live, though I don't think there is a technology that will stop the brain injuries on hits.

Haha.....he didn't mention his Ferrari. Missed opportunity.

Also forgot to include can size...

If it wasn't for fantasy football they would already be out of business. Funny thing is they are just now figuring that out in the last three years or so. My biggest complaint is so many commercials I cant watch it. Also, going to running qbs instead of qbs who can throw ruins the game for me. Im a Brady, Manning type of person, if you want to run hand it to the guy that is getting paid to run. Running back by committee has damaged fantasy football fans as well. It is hard to predict fantasy now days, I always thought it was mostly luck but now I believe it is 95% luck. All about injuries and draft position.

You absolutely cannot say the NFL is going overboard with player safety and be right. They are trying to adjust the game to reduce injuries, especially brain injuries. It's a shame someone plays a sport and then cannot lead a quality life after they retire. The game also needs to be attractive enough for parents to allow their children to play. If the NFL says just deal with it, but they lose almost all youth participation, well then the sport is definitely dead. I want the sport to live, though I don't think there is a technology that will stop the brain injuries on hits.

Very valid points I just don't think the NFL truly has player safety in mind when they make these decisions. I don't think they really care at all about their players. They are making rule changes and saying it is about player safety for PR. It's a good thing if players are safer because of the changes I just don't believe Goodell really cares about people. As many have said, if player safety were truly the reason for the changes, there would be no Thursday night games, no games out of the country, etc.

In addition, the league has known about the quality of life after football forever. Never chose to even discuss it until it became a sh!t storm for them. Once again, PR is the only reason. Same thing with the wife beaters and general POS people that the league allows to continue employment.

Look, football is what it is, a nasty game played by nasty dudes. These guys know what they are signing up for when they take the bonus money. There have always been wife beaters, dog fighter, thugs, degenerates, etc involved in the game. As a fan I accept that fact and still enjoy. And I understand it's not for everyone. I just wish the league would stop penalizing teams for playing defense. And I wish the league would stop pi$$ing down my back and telling me its raining.

In 2014, there was a report that the NFL would begin losing fans because of the concussion issues. The league is losing viewers, but more likely over all the flags being thrown and the lack of talent and coaching being shown by some teams each week. That said, per ESPN, the viewership of games by people under 25 has dropped for the fourth consecutive season. The number of kids playing high school and middle school football is also dropping. Do you think this trend will continue? Mark Cuban once said the NFL had ten years left, then it would implode over the concussion issue. I think it could implode, but not simply because of the concussions.

This is the first season I have seen many of my friends stop playing fantasy football. I have even cut back on the number of teams I own. It doesn't seem as fun anymore. For me, it's more the product on the field isn't what it once was.

Do you think the NFL needs to be worried about the future? Some say yes, some say no. I'd love to read your thoughts as we have some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum.

Bill Simmons and Malcolm Gladwell share your thoughts, as it turns out. They've written a compelling article on the subject, which is a rather lengthy read - but so well worth it. A small excerpt:

Simmons: Anyway, I believe the NFL is juggling more “second conversations” right now than any league in the history of professional sports. In no particular order …

1. Concussions

2. An undeniable change in the way the game is being played

3. An undeniable decline in the quality of play in September and October

4. The commissioner’s serial abuse of his power

5. Conflicting policies regarding painkillers, HGH, steroids, and marijuana

6. A looming free fall in youth football participation numbers

7. A lack of under-30 superstars who resonate with fans

8. National anthem protests (and whether it affects certain fan bases)

9. Billionaire owners repeatedly extorting their fans to pay for new stadiums

10. Millennials and cord-cutters gravitating more to the NBA and soccer

11. An oversaturation of TV games because of shameless greed

12. That pre-election decline in ratings, and whether it should be considered an aberration or something more

That’s TWELVE second conversations that have nothing to do with things like “Who’s winning the Super Bowl?,” “Who are you gambling on this week?” and “Should announcers mention multiple times during Chiefs games that Tyreek Hill punched his pregnant girlfriend in the stomach and tried to strangle her back when they were in college, or is once a game good?”

https://theringer.com/bill-simmons-malcolm-gladwell-future-of-the-nfl-b6e14a14124#.u97guec1z

Why can't Simmons keep a job?

He doesn't like working for the Man. *shrugs* He got pretty pi$$ed when ESPN dismantled Grantland (rest in peace, O godly site), and then basically walked...to re-form his own crew and start The Ringer.

Check it out: https://theringer.com/

He doesn't like working for the Man. *shrugs* He got pretty pi$$ed when ESPN dismantled Grantland (rest in peace, O godly site), and then basically walked...to re-form his own crew and start The Ringer.

Check it out: https://theringer.com/

Didn't his HBO show just get canned after one season. Sounds like he needs to start looking in the mirror.

So, I've got three teenage sons, including twin high school freshmen boys, young for their grade, but big kids. Both have a built-in linebacker mentality. Both have already had concussions in middle school and are done playing football. As I get older, I find myself less and less interested in the sport. If it weren't for fantasy football I probably would barely watch it. Aside from the concussion issue, the biggest issue to me is the hypocrisy of the sport. College kids can't profit one nickle from the sport, but it's making the universities wealthy beyond belief. Kids get kicked off the team for taking $20 from a booster but schools will sweep any other crime under the rug and pretend it never happened. Hell, in the school district my sons attend the highest paid people in the district are the high school head coaches. When Mack Brown was the head coach of the University of Texas, he was the highest paid employee of the state, by far. Same with Saban. They can offer these coaches $5 million + per year, but the kids who leave their blood, sweat and tears out there get nothing? Then those that make it to the pro's get unimaginable salaries while the league tries to squeeze every penny from the fanbase? Contract and labor disputes boils down to hundreds of millionaires bickering with handfuls of billionaires? ! I'm budgeting for Christmas presents and these guys are customizing their golf carts with gold plating and figuring out which of their 9 cars they want to drive today. I can reasonably afford to take my kids to a game if I wanted to and these asshats are wearing a new pair of customized cleats to practice before the game that they can't use in the game anyway?! FU Football is nearly where I'm at.

• Like 1

Football is the greatest sport ever created. College football is so exciting and amazing BECAUSE college players don't get paid. I pray that never changes.

Pro football was still very entertaining during my lifetime because, although the players were paid, they were (are) the best of the best among college players......and weren't so grossly overpaid, as to become panzies and divas.

I have not altered my stance: Pro football should be played rough and tumble without the duplicity of game-killing penalties, just like it once was. That is what made it great. Gladiators pounding it out on the gridiron to gain that extra yard.

I also understand that some men won't desire to subject themselves to such a dangerous career with potential life-lasting implications. However, knowing the dangers, and getting paid like kings.....if they choose that career, let em play football.

Football is the greatest sport ever created. College football is so exciting and amazing BECAUSE college players don't get paid. I pray that never changes.

Pro football was still very entertaining during my lifetime because, although the players were paid, they were (are) the best of the best among college players......and weren't so grossly overpaid, as to become panzies and divas.

I have not altered my stance: Pro football should be played rough and tumble without the duplicity of game-killing penalties, just like it once was. That is what made it great. Gladiators pounding it out on the gridiron to gain that extra yard.

I also understand that some men won't desire to subject themselves to such a dangerous career with potential life-lasting implications. However, knowing the dangers, and getting paid like kings.....if they choose that career, let em play football.

interesting

though I wouldn't agree that they get "paid like kings" as you say. In fact, far from it when you consider how much basketball and baseball players are making these days.

interesting

though I wouldn't agree that they get "paid like kings" as you say. In fact, far from it when you consider how much basketball and baseball players are making these days.

Yes. but compared to what the average Joe six-pack gets paid, often exposing their bodies to life-long wear and tear and the corresponding and unavoidable degradation that accompanies it.....they do get paid like kings.

Yes. but compared to what the average Joe six-pack gets paid, often exposing their bodies to life-long wear and tear and the corresponding and unavoidable degradation that accompanies it.....they do get paid like kings.

well the average Joe Six packs don't deserve to get paid like pro athletes. 50-75k people are not paying $100 a ticket to watch average Joe Six packs do their job, nor have corporations pay billions of dollars for broadcasting/sponsorship rights.

moving on from that and into just athlete to athlete comparison, when you consider how much more wear and tear football players put on their bodies and how much shorter their careers are, it's really laughable how much smaller their contracts are. Von Miller and Timofey Mozgov both signed new contracts this summer, and Mozgov only got $6 million less in guaranteed money while Miller's contract is the largest ever given to a defensive player.

that's crazy.

interesting

I agree, they should get a larger piece of the NFL revenue than they currently are. I think the salary cap is a good idea but the need a bigger cut. Baseball owners lose money on their teams and players get paid very well. Not saying the NFL need go to that extreme but the players certainly deserve more.

On Player safety issues, if the league were truly concerned here they would

1. abandon the Thursday night games, except for and only Thanksgiving Dallas and Detroit.

2. abandon playing games, especially regular season, over seas.

3. revisit the collective bargaining and expand training camp for Oline and QB. MLB is correct in having Pitchers and Catchers report a week early.

4. Reduce the average weight of the players. Especially those on the Oline.

5. helmets need to both protect the player and inflict a bit of pain to the wearer. A good size jolt should do if one impacts with the helmet in the Friar Tuck region of the helmet.

6. Increase the size of the rosters and training squads. Both for development and depth.

7. simplify some of the rules. Some are just too damn convoluted to be effective to the game.

I agree, they should get a larger piece of the NFL revenue than they currently are. I think the salary cap is a good idea but the need a bigger cut. Baseball owners lose money on their teams and players get paid very well. Not saying the NFL need go to that extreme but the players certainly deserve more.

I think the NFL has done one thing correctly the other leagues have not. Not guaranteeing the overall contract is truly the best thing for the game.

Bonus is a good way to give a guarantee, but there needs to be a balance here too. I mean, NBA is obscene with its pay rolls at the moment. That league needs to setup a true minor league system. They have the money to afford this.

Guaranteed contracts often over weight the balance towards the player over the team. It has an anti-competitive balance connotations. Sometimes it is best for all involved to simply have a way out.

Anyone wonder if the new turf is actually unhealthy for the players? Or is it a lack of conditioning why we are seeing things we are today. I know some have theorized it is consequence of children focusing on only one sport growing up. Or targeted training.

I bring this up as I see many teams hitting the hard NFL ceiling in attempting to respond to injuries on their rosters. During the season, this ceiling has become a bit anti competitive. Given NFL has both a cap and floor system, it can lead to a team having to throw in the towel at the beginning of the season. This isn't good.

BTW, the reason the MLB is not profitable is the affect of YES networks. Unlike the other leagues, Teams control their own television rights and contracts. Though that said, the NFL has the best televised experiences. NBA is most over compensated. NHL has the worst situation (camera angles suck and no post season radio even of the home clubs still in it.)

realize this jumps a lot, but so be it.

I going to go down a few rabbit holes here.

1) Trump effect. Trumps effect on the USFL and overpaying to get players to that league has resulted in the pay we have today.

2) In most leagues, a few of the top talent, the top stars are paid like kings. That is fine, imo, given the media contracts, etc.

3) League that is overpaying is the NBA. Those players are beyond out of touch with its fans.

Top talent in the NFL are paid well.

The average player is compensated fine.

Remember, the advertised contract is the gross amount. Deduct the income tax and their agents cut.

Also, NFL players a not guaranteed.

But the cost to see a game in person is beyond what an average joe 6 pack can afford. NFL contracts are based on the media deals and not the gate.

I know the media and teams hate it when the rivalry games have a large rivalry turn out, but is only way for sane person to afford the season ticket and the seat license. Is the expense of maximizing the gate revenue for the teams.

Oh well things will correct for themselves. Kiddies these days are more into someone playing mindcraft on youtube.

Very valid points I just don't think the NFL truly has player safety in mind when they make these decisions. I don't think they really care at all about their players. They are making rule changes and saying it is about player safety for PR. It's a good thing if players are safer because of the changes I just don't believe Goodell really cares about people. As many have said, if player safety were truly the reason for the changes, there would be no Thursday night games, no games out of the country, etc.

In addition, the league has known about the quality of life after football forever. Never chose to even discuss it until it became a sh!t storm for them. Once again, PR is the only reason. Same thing with the wife beaters and general POS people that the league allows to continue employment.

Look, football is what it is, a nasty game played by nasty dudes. These guys know what they are signing up for when they take the bonus money. There have always been wife beaters, dog fighter, thugs, degenerates, etc involved in the game. As a fan I accept that fact and still enjoy. And I understand it's not for everyone. I just wish the league would stop penalizing teams for playing defense. And I wish the league would stop pi$$ing down my back and telling me its raining.

The NFL doesnt care about player safety.

They care about money. and dont wanna get sued.

Therefore, to cut down on liability, they bring in rule changes in the name of player safety. But believe me, I don't think they give a rats noodle about player safety.

The NFL doesnt care about player safety.

They care about money. and dont wanna get sued.

Therefore, to cut down on liability, they bring in rule changes in the name of player safety. But believe me, I don't think they give a rats noodle about player safety.

:thumbsup:

I used to love to watch Marvin Harrison. Not only was he a great WR, but after a huge play he would just amble over to the bench and chill by himself with his arms crossed and legs kicked out in front of him, waiting for the offense to get back on the field again. . Classic stuff.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/16/b4/e4/16b4e41266e1265ebed036d6e4b718d2.jpg

And some players decide to respond another way. What's it to any of us to dictate HOW a player should respond. I like the celebrations...and they've been a part of the game a long time. If you want vanilla players with no personality then there is always Nascar to watch.

The fact someone celebrates a certain way in NO WAY is why the game may be in trouble. The 1970s probably were a time of some of the most diverse self-expression in NFL history and the sport reached heights of popularity never before seen.

This is the first time I think I've logged in all season. Moreso because I know fantasy playoffs are coming and it's a bit of a habit than anything else. Of course I used to absolutely love this site and not just for football, but for some of the posters. I wonder if everyone is still around, maybe a few are but I suspect a few others dropped out like me.

There are quite a few problems.

First too many games. Many of us complained about Thursday games. That was a dumb idea all around and created havoc for fantasy. In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to removing Monday night games too, they were a pain and the games usually suck and have sucked for years. I'd rather use Monday to process results and figure out waiver moves, which I'd prefer to get in on Monday and have fire off on Tuesday. That gives more time during the week to make other moves.

Second too many penalties.

Third, waaaaay too many commercials. And the commercials are usually very irritating.

Fourth I got really sick of the pink every year for an entire month. Especially since I know that money doesn't even get donated to anything productive, and most of it goes to the NFL or lines the pocket of drug companies. Even if it didn't, most of us aren't rolling in money and we resent being told someone else deserves our hard earned money more than we do. I mean you, I've never gotten a handout and even if I needed one it was never offered. I was told just to suffer and deal with it. This one is on society as a whole, you can't have that attitude both ways.

Fifth, the social issues and pandering, for a variety of issues. This isn't a platform where I want to hear about nor care about what issues someone things is important or their diversity goals. I just wanted football, and I wanted it delivered smoothly and efficiently with the minimum of extra annoyance. The NFL failed miserably on that, and has been failing even more in recent years.

Sixth, it's almost 2017, how are you not providing high quality official streams? Who the wants to watch something on cable? Nobody uses a regular TV anymore. Get your dumb broadcast partners to start streaming things, with better tools, and without requiring logins or other nonsense. If your goal is to make money off of advertisements, this is a no-brainer anyway.

Seventh, restricting games with archaic blackout rules is idiotic. Again, almost 2017, with all our entertainment options, who is going to bother with that nonsense?

Eight, stop taking your audience for granted. Yes maybe it was possible to brainwash people, especially young men, into thinking they NEEDED to watch sports, but if that still exists it's certainly not going to be just the NFL. People have choices, but most people also aren't going to be subject to that anymore. Nobody wants to hang out with the annoying nerds that babble stuff about being a man means you need to watch sports, drink beer, fart and act like a thirsty loser ever time a woman is on screen. Stop insulting everyone and pretending that is how men think and act, especially if you expect a strong male viewerbase.

Ninth, stop trying to expand the game worldwide. Congratulations, all those foreign games everyone hated and told you they hated has caught up to you. Now your core audience is alienated, hates your guts, and if anything I'm more interested in the foreign sports now, like soccer, which amazingly doesn't have many of the problems the NFL has. The second that becomes popular in the US the NFL is done for, it's just a better sport all around when the NFL is busy shooting itself in the foot all the time.

Tenth, and this connects to some of the other stuff, the NFL lying about safety was a bad look. Everyone knows about concussions and brain damage, and how most of the penalties and fines are complete bullshit when the NFL doesn't even try to protect players a lot of the time and denies what injured them.

And finally, Roger Goodell is a . There is only so long anyone can tolerate that imbecile. He was going to run the sport into the ground, and while it takes awhile to run such a big ship in the ground, hey it looks like he managed to steer it towards shore. It was obvious but the NFL made money in spite of him, rather than getting rid of him they rewarded him more. Dumb.

I don't know that I watched more than parts of a couple of games at most this year. I don't know when I'd watch again. The only people I know that still watch are either hardcore fans and/or people with drinking and gambling problems.

• Like 1

Rugby is more enjoyable. They should honestly make it Rugby except allow forward passes.

I dislike the stoppages in play and that the players are not likeable.

What is the point of the Thursday night game. Get more prime time play.

But really, most fans, NFL fans have been trained over decades to pay attention to Sunday. Your team will play on Sunday.

Worst thing to happen that first happened was ESPN getting a game first on Sunday night and then on Monday night

Sorry to say this, but MNF should go away. reality is when NBC got this and moved it to Sunday night. The Monday game was no more.

But the larger point is this. All NFL games are televised. All have potential to be viewed nationally/regionally.

Sure the TNF guaranteed all teams will play a prime time national game. But we have seen this isn't entertaining.

SNF with Flex is the best response to that. Even the flex from early to late afternoon is fine.

NFL needs to abandon the primetime game.

Whereas the NBA, and NHL need to get more of their product on.

Am I wrong in thinking the best time of day for sports. The true profit in televising sports is during the afternoon. I don't care what the ad buy rate is at prime time. It matters more when the fan will be there than the prime time b.s.

What makes you think that?

The league has not been exhibiting any particular tendencies in that direction.

If the NFL was truly interested in players' safety, they would not be forced to participate in Thursday night games - or in health-threatening venues such as Mexico City.

Actually the best way to protect the players is to simply fold the league and then everyone will be safe. Its a rough game. Cant protect them without ruining the integirty of the game and how its played. Doesnt work.

The NFL has several problems now with no end in sight. Lets review:

1) The on-field product is watered down and worse than its ever been. NE and Dallas are the two best teams right now and they have .500 talent at best. Thats because the league is soooooo talent-deprived that .500 teams can be made to look like 11-3 teams.

2) Play stoppages are at an all time high. Games take longer, there are more breaks in the action, the reviews, penalties, stupid extra point, etc just add to much time and kill the flow of most games.

3) The TV games and regional coverage are mostly just awful. The focking Rams vs Giants last week and Bills vs Browns for the North East region this week? REALLY? Rather shove my balls into a wood chipper than watch that garbage. Just put the best games on, period. Wasnt the Thursday game some joke this week too? It usually is. Just make it stop.

4) So many bad teams that are completely hopeless. The Jets, The Jags, The Browns, The Rams, and others should just be shut down forever. The talent pool is too thin as it is. Seriously.

5) The rules are impossible to figure and extremely stupid. Cant hit people....sort of. Cant touch the QB.... sort of. Is it a catch or not? WTF?

Whatever. The game I grew up with in the 80's and 90's is LOOOOOOOOONG gone and wont ever return. We are forever burdened with this garbage we have now. A bunch of talent-starved, .500 teams duking it out for who can suck less. Stupid rules changes, terrible TV Games and too many teams that just eternally suck. Good job, Roger Goodell. Effing loser.

• Like 1