Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

NFL Free Agency

Again, you missed the point. They need to pay him $16m if they cut him. That is real money. Forget the cap space, the owner has to cut a check for $16m.

As I said, it was a good move, but there is some downside. Now, if they are smart, they figure out how to convert half of that $16m to a bonus to spread out the impact from a cap standpoint and make his contract more palatable to deal him. You may see a team willing to nibble for a $8m QB, but a $16m QB is less attractive.

You are missing the point here. He has to pay that 16 million to someone. The Browns are not a playoff contender this year so it doesn't matter who they signed for $16 mil, that one player would not change their 2017 fortunes. It's a short term contract as far as guaranteed money. Plus, the owner has to spend that money. He absolutely has to cut a check for $16 million to someone anyway, so why not get a valuable pick that can contribute to the long term health of the team?

Cleveland is a shlt spot for free agents to go, which makes it difficult to get guys without over paying them. They need to get the team turned around via the draft before players actually start to change their perception of Cleveland. The $16 is worth a 2nd round pick in this instance. Not all instances, but this one it makes sense.

You are missing the point here. He has to pay that 16 million to someone. The Browns are not a playoff contender this year so it doesn't matter who they signed for $16 mil, that one player would not change their 2017 fortunes. It's a short term contract as far as guaranteed money. Plus, the owner has to spend that money. He absolutely has to cut a check for $16 million to someone anyway, so why not get a valuable pick that can contribute to the long term health of the team?

Cleveland is a shlt spot for free agents to go, which makes it difficult to get guys without over paying them. They need to get the team turned around via the draft before players actually start to change their perception of Cleveland. The $16 is worth a 2nd round pick in this instance. Not all instances, but this one it makes sense.

He does not have to spend to the cap and you can carry over cap space from year to year (with limits).

At the start of free agency the Browns had something like $100m in cap space. Paying Brock costs them nothing but $ and nets them a 2nd rounder in a deep draft. I commend their ownership for being willing to buy that pick. There is no downside at all.

Plus, aren't they basically just swapping monies owed - instead of the millions that were going to go to RG3, now it's directed at Osi? With a 2nd rounder tossed in to boot.. I'd rather pay Osi $16m with a 2nd rounder than RG3 $8m or whatever to sit on his ass.

Again, you missed the point. They need to pay him $16m if they cut him. That is real money. Forget the cap space, the owner has to cut a check for $16m.

As I said, it was a good move, but there is some downside. Now, if they are smart, they figure out how to convert half of that $16m to a bonus to spread out the impact from a cap standpoint and make his contract more palatable to deal him. You may see a team willing to nibble for a $8m QB, but a $16m QB is less attractive.

I said they "bought" a better draft pick, meaning they paid for it. The owner has to pay Brock but there is no risk from a football persoective: they get the 2nd and another pick just for paying Brock's salary. Cleveland has tons of cap space. This movie was genius.

Giants sign DJ Fluker. It's something. Productive off season so far for the G-Men. More work to be done.

Some here are excited that Dallas signed Nolan Carroll... Meh, he's CB body I guess, and he does have size.. But I'm not certain I'd celebrate getting anybody out of that Philly secondary.

Some here are excited that Dallas signed Nolan Carroll... Meh, he's CB body I guess, and he does have size.. But I'm not certain I'd celebrate getting anybody out of that Philly secondary.

nothing excites me so far

nothing excites me so far

We're pretty strapped against the Cap - that has certainly limited our options.. I was kind of hoping Perry or JPP would have signed here, but I'm okay trying to rebuild this thing thru the draft... We have Tapper coming back, and will basically be a rookie still - and hopefully Jaylon Smith can get on the field... I can tell you this - no way in hell do I trust Sean Lee making it thru 2 seasons in a row injury free - we need big time help at LB.

• Like 1

By the looks of things, someone is going to get AP or Lacy real cheap.

We're pretty strapped against the Cap - that has certainly limited our options.. I was kind of hoping Perry or JPP would have signed here, but I'm okay trying to rebuild this thing thru the draft... We have Tapper coming back, and will basically be a rookie still - and hopefully Jaylon Smith can get on the field... I can tell you this - no way in hell do I trust Sean Lee making it thru 2 seasons in a row injury free - we need big time help at LB.

I fully agree once again

Not the end of the world but that kid has to wake up. He's a huge star with a target on his back.

• Like 1

He's the definition of a JAG.

Now this is slightly exciting....

FF to about 45 seconds in

There is a ton of defensive talent this year, so as long as Dallas doesn't screw up like passing on Ramsey last year, this should be a nice crop to help the team.

I don't understand the Bears signing Marcus Wheaton to a 2 year $11 million dollar deal. I wanted them to sign one of the top two corners. I would have rather they over paid one of them using Marcus Wheatons money, than over pay Marcus freaking Wheaton. Or idk, maybe sign a free agent receiver with some potential, like Andre Holmes, for probably even cheaper!

There is a ton of defensive talent this year, so as long as Dallas doesn't screw up like passing on Ramsey last year, this should be a nice crop to help the team.

I'm still in the ostracized minority on this around here:

Jay Ajayi was sitting there in the 5th Round (2015), we desperately needed a RB, was convinced we'd take him................................we passed.

Jay Ajayi had 62 less carries than Zeke this year, still finished as the league's 5th leading rusher - running behind the freaking Dolphins offensive line with Tanneshiits as his QB.

Zeke is a special talent......But give me Jay Ajayi AND Jalen Ramsey over just Zeke any day.

I was hoping TP to NYG before They signed BM. TP to Washington sucks for the rest of NFC East.

What did you do with all that extra time you saved by using initials?

• Like 3

I'm still in the ostracized minority on this around here:

Jay Ajayi was sitting there in the 5th Round (2015), we desperately needed a RB, was convinced we'd take him................................we passed.

Jay Ajayi had 62 less carries than Zeke this year, still finished as the league's 5th leading rusher - running behind the freaking Dolphins offensive line with Tanneshiits as his QB.

Zeke is a special talent......But give me Jay Ajayi AND Jalen Ramsey over just Zeke any day.

I actually think the Dolphins line is pretty underrated. When that unit was healthy, Ajayi was able to gain good yardage. They just weren't healthy all year. Personally I would have found a different rb since I do think Ajayi is limited and had that time bomb they call a knee, still I agree that the overall philosophy is better. How about Jordan Howard on the Cowboys? I am happy the Bears got him, but Ramsey + Jordan Howard >>>>>>>> Zeke.

I actually think the Dolphins line is pretty underrated. When that unit was healthy, Ajayi was able to gain good yardage. They just weren't healthy all year. Personally I would have found a different rb since I do think Ajayi is limited and had that time bomb they call a knee, still I agree that the overall philosophy is better. How about Jordan Howard on the Cowboys? I am happy the Bears got him, but Ramsey + Jordan Howard >>>>>>>> Zeke.

He'd be good too....... And true about Ajayi's knee.. But the 2015 draft was a deep RB class. Tevin Coleman was sitting there in the 3rd - we passed on him too. He'd damn sure look good behind this line.

Eddie lacy to the seahawks....interesting

meh fock him and that focking team.

Not sure where the Packers go at RB. I'd really like to see Ty turn into a very good 3rd down back. He has the tools. He is like 6 foot 215. Former WR. Stanford education. Pretty much perfect makeup to translate to a pass catching, heady, 3rd down back.

But I would also like to pair him with a downhill runner who is quick through the hole. I really like how Christine Michael runs but apparently he is stupid and doesn't know what he is doing. But I like his style of running. I just really hope we don't draft a RB in the 1st 3 rounds. Grab a vet for early down duties and maybe a 4th or 5th rounder for depth.

meh fock him and that focking team.

Not sure where the Packers go at RB. I'd really like to see Ty turn into a very good 3rd down back. He has the tools. He is like 6 foot 215. Former WR. Stanford education. Pretty much perfect makeup to translate to a pass catching, heady, 3rd down back.

But I would also like to pair him with a downhill runner who is quick through the hole. I really like how Christine Michael runs but apparently he is stupid and doesn't know what he is doing. But I like his style of running. I just really hope we don't draft a RB in the 1st 3 rounds. Grab a vet for early down duties and maybe a 4th or 5th rounder for depth.

Give Ty a chance to prove himself as the lead back going into the season and draft a RB in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round.

How about Alfred Morris? GB could offer a low round pick to Dallas, maybe a 5th or 6th? Morris is 28, singed thru 2017 - and is only about $2m on the cap books... Red doesn't seem to like him much - never uses him when Zeke clearly doesn't need to be in the game... I think he's solid - a great locker room guy too.

How about Alfred Morris? GB could offer a low round pick to Dallas, maybe a 5th or 6th? Morris is 28, singed thru 2017 - and is only about $2m on the cap books... Red doesn't seem to like him much - never uses him when Zeke clearly doesn't need to be in the game... I think he's solid - a great locker room guy too.

Then why don't you want him?

Just don't see Ted Thompson trading away a draft pick for a 28 year old RB.

Then why don't you want him?

Just don't see Ted Thompson trading away a draft pick for a 28 year old RB.

I do - I was just throwing it out there as a possible for your RB situation... Like I said, Morris is a really good back, that comes cheap - and Red refuses to utilize him.

Fock, I'd rather have Alfred Morris than Jason Garrett - that's for damn sure.

The longer AP is out there, the more tempted Jerruh will get. Here's hoping.

Why is a Giants fan hoping for that?

Unless he can rush the passer or cover on the outside - senseless move, stupid use of cap space.

Give Ty a chance to prove himself as the lead back going into the season and draft a RB in the 3rd, 4th or 5th round.

Could, but I think a combo would prove much more effective. Ty isn't L. Bell or David Johnson. The league pretty much calls for 2 backs unless you have an elite RB talent.

We had Lacy, Starks, and Ty out last year. We need more than 2 backs. I'd rather not going into a season with a converted WR and a mid round rookie to be the guys to hold down the backfield.

Unless you want Ripkowski in there some more after he fumbled in the playoffs.

same reason that I, as an Eagles fan, am. So that my team doesn't make the mistake.

Could, but I think a combo would prove much more effective. Ty isn't L. Bell or David Johnson. The league pretty much calls for 2 backs unless you have an elite RB talent.

We had Lacy, Starks, and Ty out last year. We need more than 2 backs. I'd rather not going into a season with a converted WR and a mid round rookie to be the guys to hold down the backfield.

Unless you want Ripkowski in there some more after he fumbled in the playoffs.

This class has a lot of nice talent at rb imo. Some quality mid round guys.

Because it has disaster written all over it? There's only 1 ball.

This class has a lot of nice talent at rb imo. Some quality mid round guys.

It does, I just don't like the idea of having a rookie mid rounder coming from perhaps Wyoming (Hill) be a big contributor in his first season. We have Rodgers and want to win now. It isn't about finding a talented back for the future. It is about who can we get and rely on in spots as we make a run right this second. I'd rather not have Rodgers back there worrying about a rookie lining up wrong and missing blocks in crunch time. As our 3rd RB when we have our yearly run of injuries? Sure. But I'd rather have a vet in there going into the year.

Still some good backs out there that could be depended on.

Blount, Rashad Jennings. Wouldn't mind James STarks back either.