Sign in to follow this  
fandandy

Simple Recipe Ideas

I just made this and it turned out pretty well so I thought I'd share. I made it up with what I had on hand.

Share some ideas if you have them.

2 lbs hamburger and McCormick Meat loaf dry mix. Follow instructions for meatloaf minus ketchup and mix with burger. I put in a ziplock bag and it sat in the fridge overnight. Make it into meatballs and cook on stove top and drain and then mix in can of cream of mushroom soup and sour cream and a little milk. Simmer. I added some italian seasoning and would have added chopped onions but I didn't have any. I cooked up some whole grain No Yolks noodles, drained and added real butter and then mixed it all together with the meatballs and sauce and let it simmer some more.

Not to toot my own horn but it was easy and pretty tasty.

Whatcha got?

this is my standard meatball recipe. i adjust based on influence. if you want something asian, use thai basil, cilantro, ginger, garlic, and crushed peanuts. if doing bbq, i use some shredded gouda or cheddar and some minced bacon.

1/2 lb ground beef

1/2 lb italian sausage

1/4 - 1/2 c grated pecorino or parm

1 egg

1/4 c bread crumbs

1 tsp garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp basil

1 1/2 tsp parsley

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

1/3 c bread crumbs

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the pork, ground round, cheese, egg, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes, and bread crumbs. Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.

you can either pan sear the meatballs, then bake until done or...

Place the 1/3 cup of bread crumbs into a small bowl. Roll out 1.5 oz meatballs. Shape the meatballs into rounds, roll in the bread crumbs and place the meatballs on a sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. makes about 30 meatballs.

Thanks Beir. That's a great idea with the parmesan. I would have never thought to add to the the meat. I'll try that next time.

there are many times i make very neutral meatball. i'll add parm or pecorino when i go italian.

Sautee mushrooms and onions

Cook down a bag of leaf spinach

Add rinsed black beans

Meld the flavors remove from pan

Tortilla - add shredded mozzarella to one side - add cooked veggies - more mozzarella and fold over.

Cooked evenly on both sides. Until tortilla brown and cheese melted.

My go to quesadilla!

this is my standard meatball recipe. i adjust based on influence. if you want something asian, use thai basil, cilantro, ginger, garlic, and crushed peanuts. if doing bbq, i use some shredded gouda or cheddar and some minced bacon.

1/2 lb ground beef

1/2 lb italian sausage

1 egg

1/4 c bread crumbs

1 tsp garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp basil

1 1/2 tsp parsley

1 tsp kosher salt

1/3 c bread crumbs

In a large bowl combine the pork, ground round, cheese, egg, basil, parsley, garlic powder, salt, red pepper flakes, and bread crumbs. Mix all ingredients until well incorporated.

Place the 1/3 cup of bread crumbs into a small bowl. Roll out 1.5 oz meatballs. Shape the meatballs into rounds, roll in the bread crumbs and place the meatballs on a sheet pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. makes about 30 meatballs.

No disrespect but my wife makes the best meatballs. I'll post her recipie for ya soon. ;)

1/2 lb ground beef

1/2 lb italian sausage

1 egg

1/4 c bread crumbs

1 tsp garlic powder

1 1/2 tsp basil

1 1/2 tsp parsley

1 tsp kosher salt

1/3 c bread crumbs

Another curiosity, why no black pepper? Will it make it bad some how or....

this is my standard meatball recipe.

you are one of my favorite posters! Will try this one.

you are one of my favorite posters! Will try this one.

Spin off thread idea: What to do with leftover meatballs. Share with someone who needs a meatball or throw away?

• Like 2

I use salt and pepper. Usually freeze extra.

Spin off thread idea: What to do with leftover meatballs. Share with someone who needs a meatball or throw away?

Meatball Parm sandwiches. Duh.

:lol:

Meatball Parm sandwiches. Duh.

Yup...and depending on the size of your balls...my kids love meatball sliders on the kings hawaiian rolls.

Hey beir, you got a good recipie for chicken curry? Yellow curry preferably.

what type of curry? thai, indian, japanese, or chinese?

while my wife and daughter like spaghetti with meatballs, i prefer meatball sandwiches.

i make them more neutral so i can do different things with the leftovers:

swedish

bbq

teriyaki

spanish

italain wedding soup

etc

what type of curry? thai, indian, japanese, or chinese?

Indian. There is a place near me that has a dish they call Malaysian curry that I would love to learn to make. It's Indian style though.

1c diced onion, 1/8 x 1/8 divided in halves

1 tbs butter

2 egg yolks

1/2 tsp black pepper

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp allspice

1/4 tsp nutmeg

3/4 lb ground beef

3/4 lb ground pork

1c sliced mushrooms

1-2 tbs butter

1/4c ap flour

2 tbs butter

3c beef stock

1/4c heavy cream

sweat 1/2 c diced onions. let cool. in large bowl add meat, oinions, spices. mix evenly. form 1oz meatballs. pan sear all sides and place in 350 oven to finish.

melt 2 tbs butter, saute 1/2 c onions and mushrooms. add 2 more tbs butter and add flour.... (you are creating a blonde roux). gradually whisk in the stock until thickened. add cream and season to taste. whisk until it reaches desired thickness.

i serve this with egg noodles

Indian. There is a place near me that has a dish they call Malaysian curry that I would love to learn to make. It's Indian style though.

i did not make a lot of indian, but i think i have something somewhere. i will come back to this later tonight.

edit: do you like coconut milk? certain veggies you like or avoid (ie: i believe i used potatoes and carrots with yellow curry)? do you like peppers in there?

i used to do more thai influenced curries

i did not make a lot of indian, but i think i have something somewhere. i will come back to this later tonight.

edit: do you like coconut milk? certain veggies you like or avoid (ie: i believe i used potatoes and carrots with yellow curry)? do you like peppers in there?

i used to do more thai influenced curries

Honestly, I'm game to try whatever. We're trying to cook at home more, as the girl really wants to learn to cook, and it saves money.

I bought a phillipino cookbook and a Chinese cookbook to bring back for her, as Asian ingredients are obviously the most easily available to us.

But all we have is one burner. No oven, so much of my cooking knowledge is moot.

I think the dish we usually order has potatoes, peppers, and I think cloves of garlic in it. I'm mainly interested in how to make the sauce or broth, and I can fiddle with the veggies and whatnot from there.

• Like 1

Tater Tot Casserole:

Large bag tater tots

1lb hamburger

1 large can Cream of Chicken soup

1 large can Cream of Mushroom soup

1 soup can Milk

1 can Corn

1 can Green Beans, french cut

Italian bread crumbs

Shredded cheese

Seasonings (to taste)

Onion powder

Worcestershire sauce

Salt

Pepper

Optional- whatever you like. I usually add French Fry seasoning to the tater tots.

2 9 x 13 baking pans

Brown hamburger, cook tater tots as instructed. Mix soups, milk, hamburger, and veggies. Heat and season to taste. Line baking pans with tater tots, cover with soup mixture, and top with shredded cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 350 for 20-25 min.

Usually add more salt and pepper when I have it. Personally, I add hot sauce to mine as well. Cheap, easy, and tasty.

I pack pierogies

3 chicken breasts cooked and cubed

Can of cream of chicken soup

Sour cream

Mixed veggies

Boil pierogies and line bottom of pan

Mix everything else in bowl

Spread over pierogies

Bake for 30 mins at 350. I usually put something crunchie on the top like box stuffing or ritz crackers

Kids love it

Most of these recipes sound anything but "simple". Here's simple:

Tuna Fish: empty can of tuna fish into small bowl, mix with mayonaise, your favorite cheese, salt and pepper....done.

My favorite ground beef recipe: form 1/2 pound ground beef into a hamburger patty, cook on skillet till done, slap it on a bun, add cheese and your favorite condiments....done

Soup: buy Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup at the market, heat in microwave, add a couple of Ritz crackers after every mouthful....done

Grilled Cheese: heavily butter both sides of bread, 2 slices of cheese in the middle, cook on skillet till golden brown on each side.

These are simple and very delicious.

• Like 1

Most of these recipes sound anything but "simple". Here's simple:

Tuna Fish: empty can of tuna fish into small bowl, mix with mayonaise, your favorite cheese, salt and pepper....done.

My favorite ground beef recipe: form 1/2 pound ground beef into a hamburger patty, cook on skillet till done, slap it on a bun, add cheese and your favorite condiments....done

Soup: buy Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup at the market, heat in microwave, add a couple of Ritz crackers after every mouthful....done

Grilled Cheese: heavily butter both sides of bread, 2 slices of cheese in the middle, cook on skillet till golden brown on each side.

These are simple and very delicious.

Tried the chicken soup one, definitely NOT recommended. There was a bunch of sparks, and now my microwave isn't working.

Tried the chicken soup one, definitely NOT recommended. There was a bunch of sparks, and now my microwave isn't working.

At least you didn't burn down your kitchen like the catfucker in CA

I box of Kraft or Velvetta Mac N Cheese

1 can of tuna

1 cup diced onion

1 small can of sliced mushrooms

1/4 large bag of Sour Cream and Cheddar Chips

Make mac-n-cheese then put in a casserole dish,add in drained tuna,onion and mushrooms and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes,then crunch up chips and cover top of casserole and bake for another 5-10 minutes.

canned tuna AND velveeta ......... i just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

I prefer the Kraft when making that casserole but yeah it's not for everyone.

• Like 1

Cut blackfin or yellowfin tuna into 1/4 inch strips

Put into jars

Add 1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt

1 inch olive oil

1/4 of a jalapeno diced

1-2 cloves crushed garlic - crushed

a little onion

Pressure cook at 10 lbs for 2 hours

The only reason you think canned tuna is bad is because it is made with albacore tuna, try some made with yellowfin or blackfin. :thumbsup:

i have no food allergies, but a few aversions:

canned tuna

hard boiled eggs

store bought mayo

american cheese

edit: my first year as an apprentice, one role i had was running a market for our restaurant. i occasionally had to make the tuna salad. boiled tuna in basil oil, ultimately had to combine it with some mayo. the poached tuna was good. mixed with the mayo....gag reaction. smell of canned tuna gets me every time.

I do this thing with Rice Krispies and marshmallow fluff, you guys would not believe it.

And, if you're looking for a quick and easy appetizer, just add lump crab and you have instant crab cakes.

One loaf Wonder Bread

1 Jar high quality peanut butter

1 Jar high quality raspberry preserves. (substitute strawberry if needed)

1 Butter Knife

1 spoon

1 Roll high quality paper towels

Remove twist tie from bread package, set aside

Remove 1 sheet from the roll of paper towels, set aside

Take 2 slices of wonder bread from the package and place them on the paper towel

Open Jar of Peanut Butter, set aside

Open jar of preserves, set aside

Use butter knife to spread 2 tbsp peanut butter onto one piece of the wonder bread, set aside

Use spoon to spread 1 tbsp preserves on the second piece of wonder bread.

Place bread with jelly side down on top of bread with peanut butter side up

Serve with an ice cold glass of milk

• Like 1

One loaf Wonder Bread

1 Jar high quality peanut butter

1 Jar high quality raspberry preserves. (substitute strawberry if needed)

1 Butter Knife

1 spoon

1 Roll high quality paper towels

Remove twist tie from bread package, set aside

Remove 1 sheet from the roll of paper towels, set aside

Take 2 slices of wonder bread from the package and place them on the paper towel

Open Jar of Peanut Butter, set aside

Open jar of preserves, set aside

Use butter knife to spread 2 tbsp peanut butter onto one piece of the wonder bread, set aside

Use spoon to spread 1 tbsp preserves on the second piece of wonder bread.

Place bread with jelly side down on top of bread with peanut butter side up

Serve with an ice cold glass of milk

Replace the bread with toasted waffles and I'm all in :wub:

Get in car. Drive to restaurant. Done.

Crock pot, add a family pack of boneless chicken breasts, add a jar of your favorite salsa, maybe a can of corn, some sliced jalapeños, whatever else you want. set on low for 6 hours