Sign in to follow this  
Maulers1973

Hyde

I did a brief search and no thread about him. Is he poised for a rebound year? He's had a great camp, and appears to be the clear starting running back in a Shanahan coached offense. What is their offensive line like, hot garbage? Am I crazy for considering him as a RB2?

He has had a great camp.

It looked like he was on the outs with the team. They drafted a potential replacement for him and things looked grim.

But Hyde took off weight in the offseason, and came into camp in great shape and has impressed the new management.

I think he will do better, but RB's on losing teams dont do well as a general rule. The RB Stats generally reflect what is happening with the team as a whole.

in this case, I do not expect San Fran will have a winning team this year and Hyde will not get the garbage time carries that would turn him into a top 10 back.

I'd draft him as a low end to middling RB2. he has some upside in dynasty leagues, but in a redraft his top end is likely as a top end RB2 or low end RB1. (assuming a 12 team league)

so if you get him as a mid range RB2 he will probably serve you well.

• Like 2

Funny stuff surrounding Hyde this offseason.

Even his own team can't make up their minds if they want him or not.

If he's the rb1 for the Niners I see a rb3.

Don't trust them to like him has the season goes on.

Funny stuff surrounding Hyde this offseason.

Even his own team can't make up their minds if they want him or not.

If he's the rb1 for the Niners I see a rb3.

Don't trust them to like him has the season goes on.

Media does not = team view.

maybe so, but that makes it tough on you and me to decide what value to place on this guy.

I may be crazy, but I love Hyde this year. I thought he showed excellent ability last year even on a terrible 49ers team. Has everyone forgotten that he finished RB11 in points per game? He ran really well in most games and even added a receiving dimension (which seems to have held up, given his 3/45/TD line the other night).

#10 in percentage of yards after contact, #11 in yards per carry last season. Here's a guy who had two new backs and a coveted rookie to compete with at the start of camp, with rumors of him being in the doghouse swirling. He quickly surged ahead of them.

There are valid questions out of how well he'll run if most snaps come under center in Shanahan's offense. He's been much better on shotgun snaps. Still, I really like his game and think the situation is pretty good. With so many questions about this year's backs, I don't think there are more than 10 I would absolutely take over Hyde.

• Like 1

I would agree, I like Hyde also but he's a tough one to rank.

His own team can't decide if they want him or if he fits into their new system.

I think he will be on a short lease and one bad move he could be on the bench.

He went towards top of the fourth round, 33 overall, in my draft saturday. not to me. personally, i like him this year. not a ton of competition for carries, shannahan should be a plus. they do have horrible schedule, but think he's gonna be a high volume guy. 9 tds in 13 games last year. more than doubled his career high in catches. still only 26 years old. rbs on bad teams aren't the total kiss of death...if they were, jordan howard and melvin gordon wouldn't be top 15 picks. hell, mccoy is like the consensus 3rd or 4th overall rb now and the bills prob gonna suck. i just think he easily falls into the category of...could outplay his ADP and become a 2nd round rb next year.

There are valid questions out of how well he'll run if most snaps come under center in Shanahan's offense. He's been much better on shotgun snaps.

This statement gave me a brilliant idea. (Okay, maybe just an idea.)

The Niners and Eagles should make a trade. Philly sends Blount and a draft pick to SF for Hyde. Both backs would do better in the other team's system. Hyde would be a lot more exciting fantasy prospect on the Eagles.

this will be a great follow through the first 6 weeks of the year. i have him as a keeper this year.

Who's his backup?

I don't think there's anybody to be looked at as an attractive handcuff. Matt Breida will probably win the backup job, but I think they'd go RBBC if Hyde went down so I don't think his upside is huge.

Supposed darling Joe Williams fumbled again last night after dealing with those issues throughout camp, so he's certainly in the doghouse.

Hightower may not even make the team.

I'd avoid their backup situation entirely, unless you're in the deepest of leagues.

I would agree, I like Hyde also but he's a tough one to rank.

His own team can't decide if they want him or if he fits into their new system.

I think he will be on a short lease and one bad move he could be on the bench.

I highly doubt that's the case.

Volume, volume, volume.

I think Hyde is being underranked for this reason alone.

If he's actually good then he's being SERIOUSLY underranked

Last Saturday I had a draft and was looking at Hyde or Cook. I went with Cook. On Sunday I watched the Vikings vs 49ers and I got the feeling that I had made the wrong choice. It wasn't just the final numbers that made me think that. The 9ers actively tried to get the ball into Hyde's hands, and Cook looked like just another piece in an inept Vikings offense. Hyde's catch and route on his td grab, sure made it seem like he fits the system just fine. I may have to start factoring Shanahan into a RB's success more than I currently am.

Hyde seems to be entrenched as the guy with no clear b/u to vulture carries. My problem with him is that I just don't trust him to stay healthy.

• Like 1

Hyde seems to be entrenched as the guy with no clear b/u to vulture carries. My problem with him is that I just don't trust him to stay healthy.

for sure on the health thing.

I remember 2 years back I had him and after that huge week one game on MNF people were ready to label him the next big thing, and I flipped him a few days later for Megatron because I too was worried about his health.

was nervous for a few weeks, but lo and behold he got hurt again and I laughed my way to the bank all year on that deal.

for sure on the health thing.

I remember 2 years back I had him and after that huge week one game on MNF people were ready to label him the next big thing, and I flipped him a few days later for Megatron because I too was worried about his health.

was nervous for a few weeks, but lo and behold he got hurt again and I laughed my way to the bank all year on that deal.

That year, AP was highly drafted and had a dud week 1. Guy who had Hyde said he wouldn't trade straight up for AP. He ended up fizzling out and AP ran wild. Watch for week 1 overreaction guys, it's like the tide, guaranteed.

That year, AP was highly drafted and had a dud week 1. Guy who had Hyde said he wouldn't trade straight up for AP. He ended up fizzling out and AP ran wild. Watch for week 1 overreaction guys, it's like the tide, guaranteed.

I think every league has at least one guy that will pay top dollar for the previous weeks stats.

Last Saturday I had a draft and was looking at Hyde or Cook. I went with Cook. On Sunday I watched the Vikings vs 49ers and I got the feeling that I had made the wrong choice. It wasn't just the final numbers that made me think that. The 9ers actively tried to get the ball into Hyde's hands, and Cook looked like just another piece in an inept Vikings offense. Hyde's catch and route on his td grab, sure made it seem like he fits the system just fine. I may have to start factoring Shanahan into a RB's success more than I currently am.

You chose Dalvin Cook over Hyde? Wow

It's a keeper league, so that played a role, but I don't think it's that crazy.

Ok that make a little more sense. I think Cook is very overrated and isn't as versatile as everyone thinks. I mean, the Vikings had arguably a better overall athlete that's close in size in Jerrick McKinnon. Drafting Cook was insanely stupid on the Vikings part

Him staying healthy is a big reason not to trust him.

But how can you trust the staff of the Niners.

Not long ago he was done and didn't fit into the system.

I don't trust for the Niners to be all in on him being rb1.

If they are he should receive a lot of touches and his a good rb2 in ppr.

I'm going low rb3 just don't trust the Niner staff to do the right thing the whole season.

Him staying healthy is a big reason not to trust him.

But how can you trust the staff of the Niners.

Not long ago he was done and didn't fit into the system.

I don't trust for the Niners to be all in on him being rb1.

If they are he should receive a lot of touches and his a good rb2 in ppr.

I'm going low rb3 just don't trust the Niner staff to do the right thing the whole season.

Team view was that he didn't fit into the new system.

Team view was that he didn't fit into the new system.

Well i think a lot of that is media driven but we shall see what happens.

Well i think a lot of that is media driven but we shall see what happens.

Some people have a hard time differentiating roto blurbs from team officials and beat writers. They read a beat writers blurb about a guy being on the outs and think that counts as anything official.

Breida passed Williams on the chart before Williams got hurt. I think Hyde is going to get his touches. The one player that gives me pause is Kirk Jusych might get the goal line vultures

Ok that make a little more sense. I think Cook is very overrated and isn't as versatile as everyone thinks. I mean, the Vikings had arguably a better overall athlete that's close in size in Jerrick McKinnon. Drafting Cook was insanely stupid on the Vikings part

Did you watch the senior bowl?? How much have you seen of Cook to make you think again that you know more than everyone else?? What is your argument that McKinnon is a better running back than Cook??

Who should of the Vikings drafted over Cook?

Bounceback year? Hyde was solid last year averaging 15.1 ppg in ppr with over 1000 total yards and 9 tds. You will probably see around the same, with the possibility of more receptions.

Did you watch the senior bowl?? How much have you seen of Cook to make you think again that you know more than everyone else?? What is your argument that McKinnon is a better running back than Cook??

Who should of the Vikings drafted over Cook?

One game does not form my entire opinion. Cook had really poor agility measurements and nothing special for his size as far as straight line speed. He also seems to have average hands in the pass game. A back who can catch a screen pass, but not one who is a weapon to be used as a WR also.

At Florida State I saw a lot of wide open holes where he didn't have to do much but run straight. He is college fast for sure.

As far as who should they have drafted, I don't remember specifically who went around him, but he was taken before the mid second round. There's tons of talent available that play much more important positions than running back. It was absolutely one of the worst picks of the draft. Plus, they had just signed Murray and had McKinnon, who always looked pretty good to me. It's hard to fully evaluate offensive talent on that team when, they have a horrific offensive line, their qb is a scrub, and their head coach is one of the absolute worst in the league. He buried that team after their defense started rolling through teams.

Plus, they had just signed Murray and had McKinnon, who always looked pretty good to me.

FWIW, McKinnon has never played up to his measurables. He is a freak athlete, size, speed, etc. But if you can't outproduce Matt Asiata, you're lacking something. Career backup.

FWIW, McKinnon has never played up to his measurables. He is a freak athlete, size, speed, etc. But if you can't outproduce Matt Asiata, you're lacking something. Career backup.

Their numbers aren't that far off. I would argue at least McKinnon averaged over 5 ypc two years ago. The offense is the opposite of dynamic, so it's hard to evaluate talent in it. I definitely wouldn't say Asiata out played him. Just because the coach who doesn't know a thing about offense pits Asiata in, I don't think it means he is better.

At best, Cook will be as affective as McKinnon was. Also, McKinnon never really got a fair shake imo

Their numbers aren't that far off. I would argue at least McKinnon averaged over 5 ypc two years ago. The offense is the opposite of dynamic, so it's hard to evaluate talent in it. I definitely wouldn't say Asiata out played him. Just because the coach who doesn't know a thing about offense pits Asiata in, I don't think it means he is better.

At best, Cook will be as affective as McKinnon was. Also, McKinnon never really got a fair shake imo

Part of what I meant is that McKinnon has never passed the eye test. When AD was gone and McK first hit the scene, I was excited about him, grabbing him as a flyer, and watched the next couple of games (and a lot since). No vision. Does not break tackles. Doesn't break long runs. He's meh. A different kind of meh than Asiata, but also in a way more likely to remain a backup, because he's starting with a much better physical package than Asiata. Says to me it's all mental for him.

Part of what I meant is that McKinnon has never passed the eye test. When AD was gone and McK first hit the scene, I was excited about him, grabbing him as a flyer, and watched the next couple of games (and a lot since). No vision. Does not break tackles. Doesn't break long runs. He's meh. A different kind of meh than Asiata, but also in a way more likely to remain a backup, because he's starting with a much better physical package than Asiata. Says to me it's all mental for him.

I get it. He hasn't popped. I think if anyone expects Cook to be any better they will be diappointed

Boy I hope he does well this year because I just drafted him yesterday and Powell is my other starter so I need both to be above average or one to be a top 12 guy. This is my first time ever owning Hyde in a league but I just couldn't pass him up for the price I got him for,

This must be coming from a cheesehead...or possibly you have never watched Cook play college ball, he is extremely versatile & explosive...McKinnon is speedy but lacks the balance, footwork & version of Cook.....By mid-season you will see you made best choice selecting Cook over Hyde, key is Vikes O-Line week one, they will adjust to Cook who can hit a narrow seam and accelerate with his balance and footwork, in college he had a lot of yardage after contact.....only opinion 980 yards rushing 6TD's...375 yards rec. 3TD's......

I get it. He hasn't popped. I think if anyone expects Cook to be any better they will be diappointed

Here's to hoping you're wrong, my keeper team needs a good year and he's currently my #2 back. Although Hunt might really be my #2 (he just wasn't drafted that way).