Sign in to follow this  
bandrus1

week 1 streaming def

The Steelers against the Browns is a popular one.

I think you can get 4 good weeks out of Pitt actually.

Cle in Week 1, but then MN, Chi and Balt. Jax in Week 5 too; not sure if I'd consider that good or bad depending on potential for garbage time.

Who ever is playing the Jets every week if you can get them. If you can't, another option might be whoever is playing the Bears. No vertical passing WR threat.

In the 2 games last year that Buffalo played the Jets, they lost 37-31 and 30-10.

In the first game their defense scored 8 pts, but 6 of that was on a return TD.

In the 2nd game, they scored 1 pt.

Being as how defensive TDs can't be accounted for randomly like this, I would cautious you guys against presuming that the Jets will be a lay up from a fantasy standpoint.

• Like 1

Who ever is playing the Jets every week if you can get them. If you can't, another option might be whoever is playing the Bears. No vertical passing WR threat.

I wouldn't go that far with the Bears just yet but you could be right. I still have faith they may be able to pull it off.

was able to get the Bills off WW vs jets

what you got

I think you could reverse that and go Jets vs Bills as well. While the Jets have looked like preseason garbage, McCown hasn't played in pre-season. He's not the worst QB in the league by any stretch and a better passer than Taylor.

Also that game is the lowest over/under total in week 1 (tied with jags texans).

Debating between the Bills and Falcons for Week 1.

I love the idea of starting anyone against the Jets but like Oriole stated, the Jets killed the Bills twice last season. Also the Bills appear to be in tank mode as much as the Jets are. The Falcons could be playing ahead all game against the Bears and have some playmakers on D.

In the 2 games last year that Buffalo played the Jets, they lost 37-31 and 30-10.

In the first game their defense scored 8 pts, but 6 of that was on a return TD.

In the 2nd game, they scored 1 pt.

Being as how defensive TDs can't be accounted for randomly like this, I would cautious you guys against presuming that the Jets will be a lay up from a fantasy standpoint.

Last year they had Decker, Marshal and Fitzpatrick. He'll, even Enunwa. This year they have.....who do they have? Ryan anderson? Live in the now.

Last year they had Decker, Marshal and Fitzpatrick. He'll, even Enunwa. This year they have.....who do they have? Ryan anderson? Live in the now.

they still have Powell and Forte, and McCown is prob on par with Fitzpatrick last year.

but you can give up alot of points like the Bills did in those games, and offset that from a fantasy spot by getting sacks and TOs, but Buff didn't do those either.

I'm not trying to say that the Jets are going to be good; everybody knows they will suck.

But suck doesn't always equate to being a slam dunk fantasy target because suck can often times involve alot of three and outs and minimum amount of possessions. That's all I'm trying to point out, as I thought people were far too easy to pile on the Bills/Jets bandwagon on this thread.

they still have Powell and Forte, and McCown is prob on par with Fitzpatrick last year.

but you can give up alot of points like the Bills did in those games, and offset that from a fantasy spot by getting sacks and TOs, but Buff didn't do those either.

I'm not trying to say that the Jets are going to be good; everybody knows they will suck.

But suck doesn't always equate to being a slam dunk fantasy target because suck can often times involve alot of three and outs and minimum amount of possessions. That's all I'm trying to point out, as I thought people were far too easy to pile on the Bills/Jets bandwagon on this thread.

But I think you're giving bad advice. Sometimes it is what it is. Bills week one D should be piled on and there is nothing wrong with the logic. The Jets have lost their QB and top THREE pass catchers. That offense is going to be awful.

But I think you're giving bad advice. Sometimes it is what it is. Bills week one D should be piled on and there is nothing wrong with the logic. The Jets have lost their QB and top THREE pass catchers. That offense is going to be awful.

OK, fair enough.

But McCown can get the ball out quick and Powell is very very good at swing passes, so sacks will be hard to come by.

Also, I don't think the Bills get up early big, which would trigger the Jets to just start airing out. That means it will be harder to force TOs as the Jets won't have to try and force plays.

The Jets were just this bad last year in the 2nd game against BUF, and BUF still got just one point for fantasy defense. The Bills haven't made any big defensive acquisitions either, so they're not going to be exponentially better either.

I personally don't think you're scrutinizing hard enough. You just see bad team and presume that it's going to be a cakewalk, but the best thing to aim for in picking a defense is sacks and TOs, and I'm not sure that there will be that many.

OK, fair enough.

But McCown can get the ball out quick and Powell is very very good at swing passes, so sacks will be hard to come by.

Also, I don't think the Bills get up early big, which would trigger the Jets to just start airing out. That means it will be harder to force TOs as the Jets won't have to try and force plays.

The Jets were just this bad last year in the 2nd game against BUF, and BUF still got just one point for fantasy defense. The Bills haven't made any big defensive acquisitions either, so they're not going to be exponentially better either.

I personally don't think you're scrutinizing hard enough. You just see bad team and presume that it's going to be a cakewalk, but the best thing to aim for in picking a defense is sacks and TOs, and I'm not sure that there will be that many.

That's some very good insight. Now, if you'll excuse me I've got some DFS lineups to adjust.

Steelers

Texans

Panthers.

Bills. I drafted them late in my draft specifically for this matchup. I don't care what they did against the Jets last year. They can pressure the QB and create turnovers. And the Jets will likely be a trainwreck. No one on that offense scares me.

McCown may show flashes of decency, but he's also prone to throwing ducks, turning the ball over, and being on his back (and getting knocked out of games). If anyone is avoiding Bills D week 1 bc of McCown...well, good luck finding a matchup that meets your standards.

I also like Steelers, Panthers, and Chargers.

Steelers. I like them early. They can't be your all-season team because they have Pats in week 15, but the Saints have the Jets that week and that's a pickup that you can make in week 8 if not later since no one is wanting that defense right now or basically ever.

Bills. I drafted them late in my draft specifically for this matchup. I don't care what they did against the Jets last year. They can pressure the QB and create turnovers. And the Jets will likely be a trainwreck. No one on that offense scares me.

McCown may show flashes of decency, but he's also prone to throwing ducks, turning the ball over, and being on his back (and getting knocked out of games). If anyone is avoiding Bills D week 1 bc of McCown...well, good luck finding a matchup that meets your standards.

I also like Steelers, Panthers, and Chargers.

all I'm saying is I don't think the upside is there. I think you're most likely staring at 3-5 points, and if you're picking them banking on double digits I think you'll be disappointed.

I think you're very much overrating the Bills ability to pressure the QB and create turnovers.

all I'm saying is I don't think the upside is there. I think you're most likely staring at 3-5 points, and if you're picking them banking on double digits I think you'll be disappointed.

I think you're very much overrating the Bills ability to pressure the QB and create turnovers.

Yeah. The Bill's defense is going to need to score a TD in order to put up a big number. I'm sure they'll get a turnover or two but I bet they give up a good amount of yards and some points. The Bills offense is not going to be good so I think opposing teams are going to be getting plenty of opportunities to put up yards and points. If they don't force turnovers and score TDs then they won't be giving you many points.

Jacksonville has this the first four weeks: @HOU, TEN, BAL, @NYJ. You'll need to find a streamer for Week 2 but thats about as good a start to the season as you can get....if you can trust the Jags D

I think you're confusing ceiling with floor. The upside is very much there. They had an 8 pt game against the Jets last year, and the Jets lost a lot of offensive talent in the offseason. The Bills' ceiling is very much in the double digit range. They might have a low floor, but I would put it higher than the 1 pt game against the Jets last year. I'd say a 4-15 pt range for week 1 is reasonable.

And fwiw, the Bills were 8th in the NFL in sacks and 18th in INTs last year. Not too shabby.

I think you're confusing ceiling with floor. The upside is very much there. They had an 8 pt game against the Jets last year, and the Jets lost a lot of offensive talent in the offseason. The Bills' ceiling is very much in the double digit range. They might have a low floor, but I would put it higher than the 1 pt game against the Jets last year. I'd say a 4-15 pt range for week 1 is reasonable.

And fwiw, the Bills were 8th in the NFL in sacks and 18th in INTs last year. Not too shabby.

I know exactly what I'm saying, don't try to put words in my mouth.

they had an 8 pt game because of a TD. I'd have more respect for an 8 pt game if it was 4 sacks and 2 TOs though, at least then that tells you something.

TDs cannot be counted on so you're misinterpreting the data. what that means is they really had 2 pts for the game, and your fantasy team got bailed out because they luckily converted that one TO into a TD. They also only had 1 sack in that game, zero INTs.

It wasn't a good game, and if you mistake yourself into thinking it was then that's on you. Don't go chasing TDs in defensive streaming.

And again, I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad call, I just don't think the upside is there. Could they hit double digit points? Sure, any team at any point could. That's not the point though, and if you try chasing big plays in defense you'll lose more times than not.

You admitting that they could have a double

digit game by definition means they have upside...that's all I'm getting at. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was just explaining what I thought "upside" meant. I also wouldn't say any team has upside (or likelihood to get double digits) any given week either. The worst D in football vs NE or GB doesn't have upside. Could they get ridiculously lucky? Sure. But that's an outlier and not realistic upside.

You're right, the 8 point game wasn't pretty, but you can't just completely discount TDs either. The Jets are a terrible offense, and I'm banking on the fact that they were the best D/ST matchup last year, lost a bunch of playmakers, and are starting a new, average QB as indicators that Bills D will be a good play. You can't extrapolate on last season's matchups when there have been so many changes since then.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, that most times I will gladly start a mediocre D against a crap offense than a great D against a great offense.

You admitting that they could have a double

digit game by definition means they have upside...that's all I'm getting at. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. I was just explaining what I thought "upside" meant. I also wouldn't say any team has upside (or likelihood to get double digits) any given week either. The worst D in football vs NE or GB doesn't have upside. Could they get ridiculously lucky? Sure. But that's an outlier and not realistic upside.

You're right, the 8 point game wasn't pretty, but you can't just completely discount TDs either. The Jets are a terrible offense, and I'm banking on the fact that they were the best D/ST matchup last year, lost a bunch of playmakers, and are starting a new, average QB as indicators that Bills D will be a good play. You can't extrapolate on last season's matchups when there have been so many changes since then.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, that most times I will gladly start a mediocre D against a crap offense than a great D against a great offense.

just look at the stat line for Week 17 when they played the 2nd game, when Buf got 1 fantasy pt.

The Jets were without Forte, Marshall, and Decker, so can't say that the team is worse because those guys are gone, or less relevant in Forte's case.

Ryan Fitzpatrick started, and he is comparable to McCown. You cannot discount McCown without equally discounting Fitz, who got TD passes to Powell (still with the team) and Jalin Marshall (trash.)

Powell rushed for 122 yards on 22 rushes. He'll be playing this game.

Robby Anderson had already come on at that point, and he'll be playing this game.

And just looking over Buff's defensive stats, and I don't see any significant injury misses. That means they defense they were throwing out at that game is very much the core that they will be throwing out this week, and that's not even factoring in the losses of Gilmore and Darby in the secondary.

I think that game is very much comparable; a game that had Buf get zero sacks, zero INTs, zero fumble recoveries. That happens just as much when you try a mediocre defense against a mediocre offense because the defense isn't necessarily good enough to maximize the opportunities. They can still win the game by forcing alot of 3 and outs, or drives that eventually end in punts, and there's no fantasy points for those. That's what I fear with this type of game.

just look at the stat line for Week 17 when they played the 2nd game, when Buf got 1 fantasy pt.

The Jets were without Forte, Marshall, and Decker, so can't say that the team is worse because those guys are gone, or less relevant in Forte's case.

Ryan Fitzpatrick started, and he is comparable to McCown. You cannot discount McCown without equally discounting Fitz, who got TD passes to Powell (still with the team) and Jalin Marshall (trash.)

Powell rushed for 122 yards on 22 rushes. He'll be playing this game.

Robby Anderson had already come on at that point, and he'll be playing this game.

And just looking over Buff's defensive stats, and I don't see any significant injury misses. That means they defense they were throwing out at that game is very much the core that they will be throwing out this week, and that's not even factoring in the losses of Gilmore and Darby in the secondary.

I think that game is very much comparable; a game that had Buf get zero sacks, zero INTs, zero fumble recoveries. That happens just as much when you try a mediocre defense against a mediocre offense because the defense isn't necessarily good enough to maximize the opportunities. They can still win the game by forcing alot of 3 and outs, or drives that eventually end in punts, and there's no fantasy points for those. That's what I fear with this type of game.

Im not going to read into anything from a pretty much meaningless Week 17 game the week after the Bills coach got fired.

Maybe we should just agree to disagree. I can accept your mistrust of the matchup if you can accept my hopefulness toward it.

Pittsburgh acquiring Haden makes them even more valuable the first month of the season.

Not so sure. He has declined hard the past few seasons.

He has but that could have a lot to do with being on a bad defensive team that can't produce a decent pass rush. A good pass rush can be a DB's best friend.

He has but that could have a lot to do with being on a bad defensive team that can't produce a decent pass rush. A good pass rush can be a DB's best friend.

That could very well be true too. I'd still be concerned about him staying healthy at this point too though. He missed 3 games last year and 11 in 2015.

rolling panthers@sf. even though their def coord left for the bills HC job, i like what they brought in with peppers and munnerlyn to supplement a unit that already had a lot of playmakers. 2nd in sacks last yr, top 5 in int and fumbles. pretty easy schedule overall and hopefully this yr the offense keeps the defense rested more.

as for this week, i dont think shanahan is going to have this offense turned around instantly. remember his first season in atlanta? panthers should feast here.

His addition helps as he's better than what they had & Pittsburgh opens the season with CLE, MIN, CHI, BAL, JAX.

I agree. Haden had a string of injuries and isn't nearly the athlete he used to be. Even when healthy he was getting burned. As a Browns fan, I'm glad the Steelers signed him!!

No one on board with the Falcons week 1 vs CHI?

I am. HC is defensive genius, they can pressure the QB and I see Glennon getting pressured early and often.

I also love the Rams at home this week against a Luckless Colts.

Two week special: Bengals.

They open at home vs the Ravens and their unsettled run game, and either: a gimpy, rusty Flacco who threw 15 ints last year , along with just 20 tds, or Ryan Mallet, who is Ryan Mallet.

Week 2 the Bengals get the Texans and their untested qb play. Again at home. AND, on a Thursday night.

A team led by Tom Savage, on the road, in a Thursday night game, is a team I will confidently play my DST against.