Sign in to follow this  
Scary Gary

Apple slows down old iPhones so you'll buy a new one.

I don't use iPhones...but what a crock of sh1t. Samsung probably does it too.

"Owners of older iPhones, when they update their phone, assume its for the better....but in actuality, they are downloading an update designed to slow the phone down, to push you towards buying a new one"

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/21/technology/apple-slows-down-old-iphones/index.html

If I had an iPhone, that would be enough to make me boycott the whole focking shibang---even though my phones are always fairly new models anyway.

Fact.

if you have a cell phone that is more than 2 phones back (if you have a 5 and the 8 is newest) and you update it to the newest update/iOS you are retarded.

Fact.

if you have a cell phone that is more than 2 phones back (if you have a 5 and the 8 is newest) and you update it to the newest update/iOS you are retarded.

Learned that the hard way. I never do it anymore.

Learned that the hard way. I never do it anymore.

It's pathetic the lengths these focks will go to, to make a buck.

not everyone can afford to replace a phone that works perfectly fine.

Who is responsible for the phone updates? Is it Apple, or is the network on which the device operates?

I think they're both responsible. This happens to Android phones as well. I have a Note 3, and it's getting worse and worse as time goes on.

That should be illegal. Once you buy it the company should not be able to do something to adversely effect the performance. Can you imagine buying a car and after 5 years of getting 30 mpg you start getting 10 mpg because the car company modified code in the car to keep it from its regular amount.

I see nothing wrong with this. It will encourage other companies to offer better phones, at a cheaper price. Just like it will with the internet, after repealing NN. :dunno:

That should be illegal. Once you buy it the company should not be able to do something to adversely effect the performance. Can you imagine buying a car and after 5 years of getting 30 mpg you start getting 10 mpg because the car company modified code in the car to keep it from its regular amount.

I appreciate why you're saying that, but I'm not in favor of allowing Government to have a say in this sort of thing; it only expands the power of Government over you instead of the power of a private corporation over you.

Instead, the solution is what we're doing here: becoming aware of it, and allowing a competitor to base their competition on this.

I see nothing wrong with this. It will encourage other companies to offer better phones, at a cheaper price. Just like it will with the internet, after repealing NN. :dunno:

You're trolling frequency has picked up since your boy MDC's beat down. Quality over quantity. He never understood that.

• Like 1

Fake news!

The old phones cannot handle the speed the new software requires. If things werent slowed down they would not work at all. HTH

You're trolling frequency has picked up since your boy MDC's beat down. Quality over quantity. He never understood that.

So, in the last two hours? Dont think I can keep this pace up, so I hope youre enjoying it, while it lasts.

Fake news!

The old phones cannot handle the speed the new software requires. If things werent slowed down they would not work at all. HTH

I agree most of the time. In this particular case, Apple did say they purposely slowed it down to avoid another problem.

But you're absolutely right, it's usually the new OS/Apps that come out that have all the great features. The more crap your phone can do, the more power it takes to do it. These are just like computers, the more you put on it, the more it has to do. Your computer at work starts running like ass after a couple years also.

I'm in the telecom industry. Middle rung, as far as wholesalers, retail, end users.

I've spoke to guys in the industry, who would....well....

Lets say they (Carrier) were selling telecom routes to Cuba,India, etc...and sold a contracted rate of .015 per minute or whatever to a wholesaler. Then, after a few months, the carrier determines that they aren't making money at .015 -- but they are locked into a contract at .015. The wholesale company is selling it at .02 to the end users, and the end users are using the sh1t out of it, thus creating a .015 bill for the carrier.

In the instance I'm referring to, the carrier purposely degraded the call quality to that country...so that the end users would quit using it and use another product. Thus, limiting the carriers liability.

Its a bunch of sh1t...and back in the day....it was one of the few things in which the price and the quality could be manipulated AFTER the end user had bought it,

With technology now, I'm sure it happens that way with lots of things.

The car thing and gas mileage was something someone mentioned....that makes a guy really think.

They should have the focking sh1t sued out of them. Consumer protection act claims.

Watch it though, there will be a class action lawsuit and youll get a focking gift certificate to Arbys (if you claim it). All liability extinguished and some sh1t law firm in Texas gets a huge kickback. Focking g0ddamn bullsh1t

I think its more a function of the fact that the older phones have neither the processor power nor the battery size to deal with the newer apps.

But yeah. If its purely or mostly a plan to force new purchases, nail em to the wall.

I think its more a function of the fact that the older phones have neither the processor power nor the battery size to deal with the newer apps.

But yeah. If its purely or mostly a plan to force new purchases, nail em to the wall.

Right. And when an app launches or updates, they can often only be run on the latest version of the software. So, if you want the app, you have to update to the latest IOS version.

This happened to me with one of my online banking apps.

They should have the focking sh1t sued out of them. Consumer protection act claims.

Watch it though, there will be a class action lawsuit and youll get a focking gift certificate to Arbys (if you claim it). All liability extinguished and some sh1t law firm in Texas gets a huge kickback. Focking g0ddamn bullsh1t

Or in like three years you'll get a check for a nickel.

Nobody likes a nickel back.

If you live in Cleveland or Chicago, you'll never get a quarter back.

If you live in Cleveland or Chicago, you'll never get a quarter back.

I see what you did there!

Well played!