Big Guy

Dallas Cowboys 2018 & Beyond

11 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

What's the deal with the FFT mock draft listing Dallas as getting Mayer the TE from Notre Dam? Is that a major need? 

Some people think so because Shultz left and Mayer is projected to go at the end of the first. Not me, I'm high on Ferguson. Get one with the compensatory in the 5th.  

13 hours ago, Horseman said:

Some people think so because Shultz left and Mayer is projected to go at the end of the first. Not me, I'm high on Ferguson. Get one with the compensatory in the 5th.  

Thank you. I forget who, but some major NFL player said he was following Peyton Hendershot's progress, thinking he has big potential. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2023 at 9:34 PM, MDC said:

Bijan would be the most Cowboys pick ever.

Luckily NY picks right in front of us - he’ll never get past them. 😂

On 4/13/2023 at 9:41 AM, BiPolarBear said:

What's the deal with the FFT mock draft listing Dallas as getting Mayer the TE from Notre Dam? Is that a major need? 

I’m continually reminded of just how stupid the ultra homer base is here….. The amount of people wanting Bijan or a TE in the first is just mind blowing. :doh:

3 hours ago, Cruzer said:

I’m continually reminded of just how stupid the ultra homer base is here….. The amount of people wanting Bijan or a TE in the first is just mind blowing. :doh:

Bijan won't come close to making it that far.

O or D?

Torrence/Alvia

Bresee/Kancey/Smith

Well if I'm going by the 30 visits is going to be a WR.  They had 5 out of the top 6 visit.  2nd best bet would be LB as the top two visited. They'll target a RB in the 3rd and TE in the 5th.

Top100# Pos# Player Round 
18 1 WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Ohio State 1
35 5 CB Emmanuel Forbes, Mississippi State  1.5
28 1 LB Drew Sanders, Arkansas 1.5
38 2 LB Trenton Simpson, Clemson 1.5
24 3 OT Darnell Wright, Tennessee 1.5
30 4 TE Darnell Washington, Georgia 1.5
31 3 WR Jalin Hyatt, Tennessee 1.5
34 5 WR Quentin Johnston, TCU 1.5
32 4 WR Zay Flowers, Boston College 1.5
46 8 EDGE Will McDonald IV, Iowa State 2
40 3 OG Steve Avila, TCU  2
41 6 WR Josh Downs, UNC 2
69 11 CB Tyrique Stevenson, Miami  2.5
86 12 WR Jonathan Mingo, Ole Miss  3
  8 LB DeMarvion Overshown, Texas 3.5
100 7 S Marte Mapu, Sacramento State 3.5
  8 RB Kendre Miller, TCU 3.5
  10 RB Zach Evans, Ole Miss 3.5
  16 WR Xavier Gipson, Stephen F. Austin 3.5
  15 DT Jaquelin Roy, LSU 5
  12 TE Cameron Latu, Alabama 5
  27 EDGE Tyler Lacy, Oklahoma State 5.5
  15 TE Brayden Willis, Oklahoma 6
  16 OG Atonio Mafi, UCLA  6.5
  34 EDGE B.J. Thompson, Stephen F. Austin 7
  24 OG Ilm Manning, Hawaii PFA
  43 EDGE Durrell Johnson, Liberty  PFA
  29 S Tanner McCallister, Oklahoma State PFA

They continue to ignore the DT position.  Only one S visit worth mentioning, but, Mapu is the one I'd target.  Biggest safety in the draft, hopefully the just take him outright with the number 2 pick.  Like the OG-Avila visit, but, it doesn't look like they're going OG with the first pick and he won't be there late in the second.  Looks like they've resigned to pick up OG beef late in the draft.

I tried to see where Bijan might go based on his 30 visits and the first page of articles google returned were "Cowboy's Visits Where's Bijan?" :lol:

1 hour ago, RogerDodger said:

tried to see where Bijan might go based on his 30 visits and the first page of articles google returned were "Cowboy's Visits Where's Bijan?" :lol:

I didn't think so before but now I think Bijan goes to the Eagles at 10. 

4 hours ago, RogerDodger said:

They continue to ignore the DT position.  

Jep, have been since Russell Maryland.

This team has talent, but it's soft. Two years in a row SF has out muscled them in the postseason. Until Jerry and Co wake up and finally figure it out - things won't change. 

As far as the draft, we need to work from the ball back. To continually count on T. Smith to be healthy and start most games is utterly stupid - if not flat out irresponsible. Drafting where we do, it will be hard to target any one player........ But if there's an OL with a 1st rd grade or a DT with the same - I go there first. I also look at DE, S, CB and WR. 

Whatever we do, I'll be pissed if Jerry pulls the trigger on a TE or RB in the 1st. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 9:50 PM, Cruzer said:

This team has talent, but it's soft.

I remember back a few years when Charles Haley visited. He told the team they were soft, and nobody was scared of them. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BiPolarBear said:

I remember back a few years when Charles Haley visited. He told the team they were soft, and nobody was scared of them. 

yep, it's changed since then

• Thanks 1

looking forward to the draft, and hope Dallas chooses wisely

no projects, just great football players with a motor and passion for the game

On 4/17/2023 at 10:50 PM, Cruzer said:

Whatever we do, I'll be pissed if Jerry pulls the trigger on a TE or RB in the 1st. 

What about a WR?

9 hours ago, BufordT said:

What about a WR?

If there's a T. Hill or AJ Brown type there, be totally fine burning a 1st on them. 

10 hours ago, BiPolarBear said:

Not much has changed, still soft, still nobody on this team anyone fears from a sense of straight up nasty and tough. 

No Mark Tuinei, no Erik Williams, no Charles Haley - we need some of those guys desperately. 

• Like 1

Jerrah was humble & funny...

PICK 1 - 26 = DALLAS COWBOYS / DT ~ Mazi Smith 

Is this the most exciting offseason for the Cowboys in years?  A year ago, they clobbered the defending AFC Champion Bengals, swept the playoff Giants, beat the NFC Champion Eagles, won their first road playoff game in years over Tom Brady's Bucs, ending his career, and hung tough against a powerful 49er team in a playoff loss.   They need the #1 seed.

Just now, JustinCharge said:

Is this the most exciting offseason for the Cowboys in years?  A year ago, they clobbered the defending AFC Champion Bengals, swept the playoff Giants, beat the NFC Champion Eagles, won their first road playoff game in years over Tom Brady's Bucs, ending his career, and hung tough against a powerful 49er team in a playoff loss.   They need the #1 seed.

Team of the Decade. :thumbsup: 

3 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

That's hilarious 😆

Jimmy finally going into the Ring of Honor and @Big Guy isn't around to see it.  :(

:Mr-T:

Maybe the cowboys can bring back Jimmy? He looked pretty spry the other day when he was yelling on the tv at halftime. If  a guy that shitts his pants can be president, why not? 

35 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Maybe the cowboys can bring back Jimmy? He looked pretty spry the other day when he was yelling on the tv at halftime. If  a guy that shitts his pants can be president, why not? 

I think Jerruh needs to give coaching a shot. put his money where his mouf is

Just now, edjr said:

I think Jerruh needs to give coaching a shot. put his money where his mouf is

He likes putting his Bourbon where his mouth is more. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

He likes putting his Bourbon where his mouth is more. 

That explains the piranha teeth

Vrabel and Derek Henry to the Cowboys. 

I actually don't quite know where to begin with a team as overall talented as Dallas. Is Jerry a big part of the problem? absolutely. At the same time, it's hard to fault an owner who cares about winning when my own team has an owner who has always been obsessed with the back page and PSLs. I feel like we have even seen Jerry take a step back, as GM,  when it comes to draft picks he wants to make versus the right pick and listening to the team around him. 

As crazy as it sounds, one of the things that really held them back this year was not finding a way to bring Zeke back. He filled in pretty nicely on a bad patriots team, especially in the short passing game, while Tony Pollard looked cooked all season. Not that it had to be Zeke... he's just an easy example but I'm sure they didn't expect their 26 year old, new lead back to just get to 1,000 yards on a 4.0 average with 6 total TDs. 

Dan Quinn's defense got gashed against the Packers.... but games happen. He led a top 5 defense for most of the season. It's hard to not have an occasional bad game, the way the NFL is skewed toward offense these days. 

Between MM and Dak, as much as I love Dak, it may just be time to finally admit he is a regular season, Romo-esque QB. Give MM all the flak you want but solid head coaches are hard to come by. How many college coaches have we seen fail to transition? How many highly coveted coordinators have failed as HCs, only to go back to being good coordinators? Look at Brian Daboll. Everytime I watch the guy coach, and everything I hear about him and read about him tells me he is likely one of those guys who should be an O-coordinator, not a HC. 

Talented QB's don't grow on trees either, but they also get paid a hell of a lot more. 

I picked Dallas in a big playoff pool (already had futures bets on San Fran and Baltimore from a while back)... but really it wasn't hard to see this coming as soon as they drew Green Bay. 

yes...  TLDR

1 hour ago, WhiteWonder said:

I actually don't quite know where to begin with a team as overall talented as Dallas. Is Jerry a big part of the problem? absolutely. At the same time, it's hard to fault an owner who cares about winning when my own team has an owner who has always been obsessed with the back page and PSLs. I feel like we have even seen Jerry take a step back, as GM,  when it comes to draft picks he wants to make versus the right pick and listening to the team around him. 

As crazy as it sounds, one of the things that really held them back this year was not finding a way to bring Zeke back. He filled in pretty nicely on a bad patriots team, especially in the short passing game, while Tony Pollard looked cooked all season. Not that it had to be Zeke... he's just an easy example but I'm sure they didn't expect their 26 year old, new lead back to just get to 1,000 yards on a 4.0 average with 6 total TDs. 

Dan Quinn's defense got gashed against the Packers.... but games happen. He led a top 5 defense for most of the season. It's hard to not have an occasional bad game, the way the NFL is skewed toward offense these days. 

Between MM and Dak, as much as I love Dak, it may just be time to finally admit he is a regular season, Romo-esque QB. Give MM all the flak you want but solid head coaches are hard to come by. How many college coaches have we seen fail to transition? How many highly coveted coordinators have failed as HCs, only to go back to being good coordinators? Look at Brian Daboll. Everytime I watch the guy coach, and everything I hear about him and read about him tells me he is likely one of those guys who should be an O-coordinator, not a HC. 

Talented QB's don't grow on trees either, but they also get paid a hell of a lot more. 

I picked Dallas in a big playoff pool (already had futures bets on San Fran and Baltimore from a while back)... but really it wasn't hard to see this coming as soon as they drew Green Bay. 

yes...  TLDR

I thought you were a jets fan?

2 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

yes...  TLDR

Lol zeke!  

Avg 3.5 a carry.  

What are you and the other guy smoking?  My God.

14 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lol zeke!  

Avg 3.5 a carry.  

Tony Pollard averaged 4.0 yards per rush attempt this season.

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lol zeke!  

Avg 3.5 a carry.  

You need  to look at things further. The Pats o line was not as good as Dallas. once cut, he was cheaper for the Pats… 4 mil guaranteed vs. the 10 mil franchise tag on pollard. and he did good work in the pass game. 

The bigger point was that making Pollard a workhorse didn’t pan out 

3 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

Need to look at things further. The Pats o line was not as good as Dallas, once cut, he was cheaper for the Pats, and he did good work in the pass game. 

The bigger point was that making Pollard a workhorse didn’t pan out 

I can agree with the latter.  I myself and basically anyone said Pollard was really good.  Not sure whay happened there.  

I doubt keeping zeke moves any needle tho.  That role could be filled by 10s of cheap backs.   Hell Bills just released Leo Fournette.  Ty Johnson and Lat Murray were good enough to backup Cook.  

Moral of the story is, backs grow on trees.  Especially ones you just need fot a part time role.  

Zeke stinks.