Big Blue 06

Books you are reading

I remember when I was in houston, I volunteered for a charity when I would read books to the deaf.

Really was rewarding. You could tell they're thoroughly engaged. Cuz they just looked at me with such dumbfounded interest.

It's good to give back.

On 4/26/2022 at 2:29 PM, jerryskids said:

I'm currently reading The Lions of Al-Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay, one of my favorite authors.  He is the master of a spinoff of historical fiction where he uses actual places to create fictional worlds.  This is one of his earliest endeavors which I've been meaning to read for years -- based on the geography of Spain and with three religions which correlate to Christianity, Islam, and Judaism.  Like all of his books it isn't a shoot-em-up adventure, more based on people and relationships, although there is plenty of action.  I personally enjoyed a few of his later books better but I highly endorse him as an author.  :thumbsup:

Clive cusslers books are similar...loved em

26 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

Clive cusslers books are similar...loved em

Interesting thanks, I've never really considered Cussler, not sure why.  Kay adds an element of fantasy to his BTW.

Al-Rassan was good but not great; I've enjoyed others of Kay more, including Tigana and The Last Light of the Sun, off the top of my head.

I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, high fantasy.  I'm a little over 1/2 way through and quite enjoying it; my only concern is that I believe it is set up to be a trilogy and only two of the books are out at this point.  I'll decide at the end if I want to keep investing or wait until the 3rd book is imminent before getting #2.

11 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Interesting thanks, I've never really considered Cussler, not sure why.  Kay adds an element of fantasy to his BTW.

Al-Rassan was good but not great; I've enjoyed others of Kay more, including Tigana and The Last Light of the Sun, off the top of my head.

I'm currently reading The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, high fantasy.  I'm a little over 1/2 way through and quite enjoying it; my only concern is that I believe it is set up to be a trilogy and only two of the books are out at this point.  I'll decide at the end if I want to keep investing or wait until the 3rd book is imminent before getting #2.

Tigana was epic...the feelings were palpable as I read it.

Have u read Elantris by Brandon Sanderson?

Really good...reminded me of Tigana.

I really have been into the YA dystopian type books recently...

On 7/1/2023 at 12:59 PM, posty said:

I really have been into the YA dystopian type books recently...

Like what? 

There was one I read titled Sythe (I think) that wasn't bad.  

On 8/20/2023 at 4:22 PM, BuckSwope said:

Like what? 

There was one I read titled Sythe (I think) that wasn't bad.  

Sorry, I forgot to answer this...

I read Neal Shusterman "Art of the Scythe" series and enjoyed it...  He has some other books that are pretty good IMO as well...  The "Skinjacker" trilogy, "The Unwind dystology" series and some of his standalone novels are nice reads...

I also read Michael Grant "Gone" series and the "Monster" trilogy...  I first read his "BZRK" series and that got me hooked on him...

There have been others, but this is about 20 books at least...

The Art of the Deal by Donald J Trump 

I have read so many amazing books this year.

You are the Placebo by Dr Joe Dispenza should required reading for everyone

Instant Divine Assistance by Benjamin Bernstein

Reality Transurfing by Vadim Zeeland

Marcus Aurelius - Meditations

48 minutes ago, TommyGavin said:

Reading “The subtle art of not giving a F@ck”

I read that. It's a good book and it's mostly spot on imo

6 hours ago, posty said:

Reading the "Silo Trilogy" when I can...

I have read most of this. It's good. Not as epic as some people claim, but definitely worth the read.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2023 at 10:43 AM, posty said:

I read Neal Shusterman "Art of the Scythe" series and enjoyed it...  He has some other books that are pretty good IMO as well... 

I read those, they were entertaining.  I'm finishing up "Gleanings," which is a bunch of short stories set in the Scythe world, some of which give the back story on characters from the trilogy.

8 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

World Without End by Ken Follett. First sequel to Pillars of the Earth and really good. 

Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books of all time; one of the few I've read more than once.  We have World Without End and I THINK I read it, but I'm not sure.  We also have his Century trilogy which my wife read but I haven't; it's set in the early 1900s I believe.  

Maybe I'll put World Without End in my queue.  :cheers: 

This Thing Between Us by Gus Moreno. 

It may or may not be about a haunting? So weird. I’m nearly done and have no idea wtf is going on but I think I like it.

31 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Pillars of the Earth is one of my favorite books of all time; one of the few I've read more than once.  We have World Without End and I THINK I read it, but I'm not sure.  We also have his Century trilogy which my wife read but I haven't; it's set in the early 1900s I believe.  

Maybe I'll put World Without End in my queue.  :cheers: 

Fall of Giants is really good too. But World Without End rivals Pillars for me. 

Have you tried A Dangerous Fortune? About a bank in the 19th century. That’s my favorite of all his novels. 

5 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I read those, they were entertaining.  I'm finishing up "Gleanings," which is a bunch of short stories set in the Scythe world, some of which give the back story on characters from the trilogy.

I enjoyed all the books of the Scythe series...  The backstories were interesting for sure...

• Like 1

On 12/31/2023 at 10:19 AM, The Real timschochet said:

Fall of Giants is really good too. But World Without End rivals Pillars for me. 

Have you tried A Dangerous Fortune? About a bank in the 19th century. That’s my favorite of all his novels. 

Interesting, thanks for the rec.

Also, when I looked it up on Amazon, I got a lot of recommendations for Colin Falconer novels.  Anyone read any of his books? I may give "Silk Road" a try.

On 12/31/2023 at 11:58 AM, MDC said:

This Thing Between Us by Gus Moreno. 

It may or may not be about a haunting? So weird. I’m nearly done and have no idea wtf is going on but I think I like it.

Was it about a lover wanna-be who was ronery?

7 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Was it about a lover wanna-be who was ronery?

I’ve had a few stalkers over the years but you take the cake Mrs. Insufferable! 🎂 :( 

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

I’ve had a few stalkers over the years but you take the cake Mrs. Insufferable! 🎂 :( 

9:00 am. :(

Ring any bells Corky? :lol:

Phil Tucker is becoming one of my favorite writers

Immortal Great Souls is a fantasy progression series. The third book just came out and it is one of the best fantasy progression books I have read.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Phil Tucker is becoming one of my favorite writers

Immortal Great Souls is a fantasy progression series. The third book just came out and it is one of the best fantasy progression books I have read.

Serious question. What is fantasy "progression"? Would that be similar or descriptive of the Thomas Covenant series by Donaldson which goes way back?

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

Serious question. What is fantasy "progression"? Would that be similar or descriptive of the Thomas Covenant series by Donaldson which goes way back?

I absolutely loved the Thomas Covenant books back in middle school.  :pointstosky:

9 minutes ago, DonS said:

I absolutely loved the Thomas Covenant books back in middle school.  :pointstosky:

White gold wielder. I may have to pick those up again. Been a long while. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seafoam1 said:

It's a fantasy series where the characters get level up in a sense. Usually they have distinct leveling goals and benchmarks to become stronger

3 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

It's a fantasy series where the characters get level up in a sense. Usually they have distinct leveling goals and benchmarks to become stronger

Got it. Makes sense. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

So it’s like reading a fantasy RPG?

2 hours ago, MLCKAA said:

So it’s like reading a fantasy RPG?

Very similar. Literary rpg typically has a very detailed system with numbers so that people can follow exactly how strong a character is. Progression fantasy is less detailed and more generalized when it comes to their leveling systems.

I think I'm going to go back to fiction now.  Another Jack Reacher or maybe the one about the Chicago Wizard Detective series(can't remember the name).  Both of those are really enjoyable. 

15 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Very similar. Literary rpg typically has a very detailed system with numbers so that people can follow exactly how strong a character is. Progression fantasy is less detailed and more generalized when it comes to their leveling systems.

Interesting, I haven't heard of this.  Maybe I'll give it a try. :cheers:

Also I loved Thomas Covenant as a kid.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

I think I'm going to go back to fiction now.  Another Jack Reacher or maybe the one about the Chicago Wizard Detective series (can't remember the name).  Both of those are really enjoyable. 

Harry Dresden books by Jim Butcher. :thumbsup:

Edit: series is called The Dresden Files

• Thanks 1