Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Mount Everest

Anyone seen this picture of people waiting to get to the top of Everest.   Guy says it normally takes 2.5 hours to get to the summit, says it took 8 hours on that day.   These nuts are literally standing in line, dying.   

Rich a-holes. Or their children. 

As many people I’ve seen that have died on that mountain and their bodies aren’t able to be recovered there’s no way in hell I’d climb it 

My 21 yo nephew climbed to Base Camp 1 of Everest last year. 8 days to climb up and said it was miserable... very cold and hard work. 

He saw lots of fat tourists at the base who didn't look like they had a chance of going far with hired Sherpas toting most of their stuff. Also saw a lot of tourists being carried back down.

He said his permit only cost $20 or so, but a permit to climb to the peak is $12,000. 

I had a long fascination with stories of people climbing it.... sadly it is just another thing ruined 

5 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

My 21 yo nephew climbed to Base Camp 1 of Everest last year. 8 days to climb up and said it was miserable... very cold and hard work. 

He saw lots of fat tourists at the base who didn't look like they had a chance of going far with hired Sherpas toting most of their stuff. Also saw a lot of tourists being carried back down.

He said his permit only cost $20 or so, but a permit to climb to the peak is $12,000. 

12K to die. Seems excessive.

1 minute ago, bandrus1 said:

I had a long fascination with stories of people climbing it.... sadly it is just another thing ruined 

As do I and agree it's ruined.

Just looking at that picture should make people realize climbing that mountain, especially with the amount of assistance that most folks that can afford it require, is really nothing extraordinary. Akin to the trophy hunters who pay astronomical fees for the privilege of killing a wild animal they didn't track/hunt or someone bragging about how hot the prostitute/gold digger they're banging is.

Paying money for an achievement is a hollow victory. 

21 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

A few people have died because they ran out of oxygen with the wait and the crowd. 

Yeah, I really want to hang around some place where there a chance of running out of O2

8 minutes ago, GobbleDog said:

Did he say how high did he say base camp 1 was? 

3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Yeah, I really want to hang around some place where there a chance of running out of O2

...and is now largely as peaceful as a Black Friday at Walmart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

its just about 18000

29 minutes ago, lod001 said:

12K to die. Seems excessive.

If they are so hell-bent on dying, I'll do it for half as much, maybe even offer a group rate.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Bandrus is spot on...

• Base Camp. 5400 m / 17700 ft. ...
  • Icefall. 5500 m - 6100 m / 18000 ft - 20000 ft. ...
  • Camp 1, Valley of Silence. 6100 m - 6400 m / 20000 - 21000 ft. ...
  • Camp 2. 6400 m / 21000 ft. ...
  • Camp 3, Lhotse wall. 6800m - 8000 m / 22300 ft - 26300 ft. ...
  • Camp 4, the Deathzone. 8000 m / 26000 ft. ...
  • The summit. 8850 m / 29035 ft. ...

2 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Bandrus is spot on...

• Base Camp. 5400 m / 17700 ft. ...
  • Icefall. 5500 m - 6100 m / 18000 ft - 20000 ft. ...
  • Camp 1, Valley of Silence. 6100 m - 6400 m / 20000 - 21000 ft. ...
  • Camp 2. 6400 m / 21000 ft. ...
  • Camp 3, Lhotse wall. 6800m - 8000 m / 22300 ft - 26300 ft. ...
  • Camp 4, the Deathzone. 8000 m / 26000 ft. ...
  • The summit. 8850 m / 29035 ft. ...

Maybe going to one of those closer to the bottom wouldn’t be so bad. But I’m not going up to the top. Hell nah 

5 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

Maybe going to one of those closer to the bottom wouldn’t be so bad. But I’m not going up to the top. Hell nah 

But don't you have a Yeti cooler? 

I saw that picture a few days ago and was amazed. If you haven't seen it I recommend the recent movie Everest.

Imagine being really into hiking and climbing. You want to climb the highest peak in the world. You spend years working on your craft and saving enough to finally do it. Only to be met with a huge as line like this. I feel sorry for some, but man what a sh1t show. Reality is often disappointing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Hand said:

I saw that picture a few days ago and was amazed. If you haven't seen it I recommend the recent movie Everest.

+1 :thumbsup:

The movie North Face was pretty good also..... Into Thin Air was a better book than Everest is as a movie

High Crimes is a great book about what really happens at Everest. About 10 years old now but it looks like it has gotten worse, and it was pretty bad back then. It's mostly rich diks doing this. 

I saw somewhere that the bodies and human waste have become an environmental concern. 

Climbers now have to pack their poo off the mountain.  

Everest is the new Darwin litmus test. You can die up there through no fault or cause of your own. The body just shuts down and can’t function sometimes due to the air and conditions. You are a complete moron if you even attempt it.

When I was younger it always seemed like a big deal when someone was able to climb Mount Everest. Now it’s just meh, big deal whatever. Looks like a line at an amusement park. I think I could do it pretty easily 

34 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

🤣

What’s so hard about it? Guys like 65 years old do it and I can guarantee you I’m in better shape than they are physically. There’s a line at the top of that looks like an amusement park. Seems like this is something old wealthy people do so they can post it on their Facebook. Not to mention the equipment most of them use that assist them on the climb. 40-50 years ago I imagine it was a much harder thing to do. 

27 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

What’s so hard about it? Guys like 65 years old do it and I can guarantee you I’m in better shape than they are physically. There’s a line at the top of that looks like an amusement park. Seems like this is something old wealthy people do so they can post it on their Facebook. Not to mention the equipment most of them use that assist them on the climb. 40-50 years ago I imagine it was a much harder thing to do. 

Nah dude

7 minutes ago, bandrus1 said:

Nah dude

I think it’s a little easier of an accomplishment than you think 

2 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

C'mon, man.  You can't be serious.  I like your posts but this seems ridiculous.

There’s a line at the top longer than the one at Magic Kingdom right now. I think any coordinated person that’s in shape that prepared for it could do it. I feel like it would be more time consuming than anything else. 

3 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

There’s a line at the top longer than the one at Magic Kingdom right now. I think any coordinated person that’s in shape that prepared for it could do it. I feel like it would be more time consuming than anything else. 

Well, I haven't done any digging but I can't believe anyone would call a climb to the top of Mount Everest "pretty easy".  I'm sure you're in shape like you say you are, but even the best climbers struggle with Everest.

Bunny would walk right up that mountain while sucking down some Marlboros and then fawk one of them big boned Sherpas. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Come on GC, let’s pull the money together for 90’s to go!

From Quora, looks like it cost is the hardest part of climbing Everest, $45,000.  Lots of info there, some interesting nuggets, but from reading it...yeah, I think 90's probably could do it.

23 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Well, I haven't done any digging but I can't believe anyone would call a climb to the top of Mount Everest "pretty easy".  I'm sure you're in shape like you say you are, but even the best climbers struggle with Everest.

It's not that the climb is hard. It's the altitude. Lack of air effects all of us differently so even a fit person can struggle.

Says it takes 2 months to climb Everest. Including acclimating to the climate and altitude and trek to basecamps etc. You could randomly die based on how your body reacts to the death zone, the areas where the altitude does nasty things to you. Again, this is a Darwin litmus test.

5 hours ago, Cdub100 said:

Reality is often disappointing.

Agreed. Some of his posts are ok though. :dunno:

• Like 1

Dohring, who scaled the mountain's popular south slope on Nepal's side with a small group of other climbers and a veteran Sherpa guide, said that he passed the bodies of several dead climbers. Among them, was a woman who appeared to have just died and was still clipped to the safety line.

So I guess you unhook her and toss her off the side of the mountain based on that picture. Get outta the way you dead old bag.

Dohring said he also encountered crowds on the descent, and it was difficult to safely maneuver around people going in the opposite direction on a route with a several-thousand foot drop.

"It was literally going around one [person] at a time," he said, "attaching the safety line in front of them, behind them. Take the one off that’s in front of them, so you could move two steps. Let them move up two steps. And then repeat."

Insane.