Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Let's talk sockeye salmon

Recommended Posts

If/when this thread gets pennied...............ok to assume the salmon crisis averted? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, peenie said:

🤷🏿‍♀️

Kinda confused...what does that mean?

There was a thread about how Miley Cyrus declared she wouldn't reproduce because she didn't want to bring a child into a world without fish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alias Detective said:

 I care to hear what you can share.

It is not that it is high risk, the chance of a disaster is fairly low risk, however the mine will need to be treated in perpetuity. The mining spoils will exist, 100, 200 years in the future. What happens when these company's no longer exist. 

In addition if there was an accident, the consequences would be disastrous. The holding area for toxic water will be behind the worlds largest dam. If there was an accident it would essentially end the commercial fishing for that area.

 

However, it would not kill the fish forever. I have fished many "toxic" waters over the years. The best of the toxic waters were around Butte and Virginia City in Montana. I also fished in coal mine ponds as a kid with my dad being a mining engineer we could get special access and they saw no pressure ever, being only fished a few times a year by the employees. Many of these offered superb fishing.

 

When I lived in Bozeman, my brother lived in Butte. I would drive over there quite often to fish with him. Butte itself was built around a toxic open pit mine as per the link below. Surprisingly, the fishing did not suffer in the area, and in fact we fished the settling ponds that treated the water coming out of the pit and they contained a good population of large trout.

https://www.bigskyfishing.com/lakes/southwest-montana-lakes/anaconda-settling-ponds/

Quote from article: Overall, for any angler in search of truly large trout (trout here average 2.5 pounds but frequently exceed 10 pounds).

 

TL:DR: Low chance of issues, however any issue would be devastating to the commercial fishing industry. Catch and release would not be as effected based on my experience.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DonS said:

There was a thread about how Miley Cyrus declared she wouldn't reproduce because she didn't want to bring a child into a world without fish. 

I thought it was because she couldn't swim upstream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, DonS said:

There was a thread about how Miley Cyrus declared she wouldn't reproduce because she didn't want to bring a child into a world without fish. 

She and Liam broke up-again. She is really weird.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

TL:DR: Low chance of issues, however any issue would be devastating to the commercial fishing industry. Catch and release would not be as effected based on my experience.

Thank you for your contribution. (what does tl:dr mean? Googled it: too long, didn't read)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, peenie said:

I love to post videos and yet haven't posted one here because just as jerryskids noted, these people who gather up the salmon aren't the most sympathetic people. They come off as sort of eccentric compared to the miners.

My point actually was that the laborers at such mines are not Rhodes scholars by and large, from my small sample.  If they manage to pass the drug test and get hired, they likely start smoking again later that day.  So IMO the odds of an accident are higher than average.

I didn't say anything about people who gather salmon so... :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Either salmon has changed or I have. I used to love Salmon. Now? Not really.

Depends what you’re getting. What changed is now they sell a shiot-ton of farmed stuff, most of which is pretty shiotty. Also Atlantic salmon is far more common in restaurants and such now, and sucks ass compared to pacific wild caught  salmon. Annnnnd even if you get wild caught pacific salmon these days it might be that re-branded “kita” salmon previously known by the less marketable monikers of dog or chum salmon. 

If you stick with pacific wild caught sockeye or king salmon you should be fine. Some people also like coho but not I 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, peenie said:

I love to post videos and yet haven't posted one here because just as jerryskids noted, these people who gather up the salmon aren't the most sympathetic people. They come off as sort of eccentric compared to the miners.

I know lots of salmon fishermen who are great people. Sure there’s nuts but that’s true of anything. They’re just more authentic 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I smoked a salmon filet yesterday and it was awesome. I'll be dead in 30 years, maybe sooner, and I'm sure there will be salmon in my supermarket from now until the day I expire. After I'm gone I don't care if salmon go extinct. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, peenie said:

Thank you for your contribution. (what does tl:dr mean? Googled it: too long, didn't read)

Well, had you read it, it means too long, didn't read.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Depends what you’re getting. What changed is now they sell a shiot-ton of farmed stuff, most of which is pretty shiotty. Also Atlantic salmon is far more common in restaurants and such now, and sucks ass compared to pacific wild caught  salmon. Annnnnd even if you get wild caught pacific salmon these days it might be that re-branded “kita” salmon previously known by the less marketable monikers of dog or chum salmon. 

If you stick with pacific wild caught sockeye or king salmon you should be fine. Some people also like coho but not I 

Every weekend I have smoked salmon benedict at a nearby diner. No idea what type of salmon it is, but damn is it awesome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I smoked a salmon filet yesterday and it was awesome. I'll be dead in 30 years, maybe sooner, and I'm sure there will be salmon in my supermarket from now until the day I expire. After I'm gone I don't care if salmon go extinct. 

 

Using that same argument why would you care if there is cheap copper after you die?

This is 15 years from producing and even further away from producing at a large scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

 

Using that same argument why would you care if there is cheap copper after you die?

This is 15 years from producing and even further away from producing at a large scale.

I don't care about the copper either. If it is 15 years away from happening then let them do whatever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DonS said:

Every weekend I have smoked salmon benedict at a nearby diner. No idea what type of salmon it is, but damn is it awesome. 

Well if it’s smoked that can be different. Same deal with lox or if it’s just one ingredient in a larger dish like, say, chowder.

I’m talking about just a simple filet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IGotWorms said:

Well if it’s smoked that can be different. Same deal with lox or if it’s just one ingredient in a larger dish like, say, chowder.

I’m talking about just a simple filet. 

Yeah, knew you were discussing filet.  Just made me realize that I have no idea the type of salmon that is being used for my regular smoked salmon bfast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate salmon. I prefer cod as a cheap fish but normally will buy Tuna steaks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I didn't say anything about people who gather salmon so... :dunno:

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I was trying to simply say that the people there who gather the fish are an interesting bunch that maybe some people might find a little left of center.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, posty said:

Is blackened salmon considered racist? 

 

I think you are just trying to troll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taco breath said:

i blame trump.

Well that’s silly of course. But also, he certainly ain’t helping 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

 

I think you are just trying to troll.

We aren't allowed to talk about blackened salmon?

:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, posty said:

We aren't allowed to talk about blackened salmon?

:dunno:

No, but if you're an optimist, maybe McCarthy-esque PC cult will implode in the next few years and we'll have first amendment rights restored. If you do want to talk about blackened salmon, you still can, but you'd have to self identify as a transgender Muslim lesbian in the mean time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I now understand why Sarah Palin named her daughter Bristol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, sderk said:

Salmon is very cheap as far as fresh fish goes. Therefore, no threat.

Halibut is more expensive but that’s about it unless you’re getting into some super rare sh1t :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Voltaire said:

I now understand why Sarah Palin named her daughter Bristol.

Because she gets fertilized regularly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IGotWorms said:

Because she gets fertilized regularly?

Maybe she can see Bristol Bay from her house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Halibut is more expensive but that’s about it unless you’re getting into some super rare sh1t :dunno:

Tuna? Wanna me to bring up more? Sea Bass? Want more?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sderk said:

Tuna? Wanna me to bring up more? Sea Bass? Want more?

Sea bass is a garbage fish, expensive only with douches who don’t know better.

I can buy a can of tuna fish at the store for 99 cents. People feed it to their cats.

Got anything else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Sea bass is a garbage fish, expensive only with douches who don’t know better.

I can buy a can of tuna fish at the store for 99 cents. People feed it to their cats.

Got anything else?

So you compare tuna steak with canned chicken of the sea. I see there is no need to continue with you. 

And yet, a red sardine is your fish of choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×