Sign in to follow this  
gardenstatepkwy

Devin Singletary

Even when hes back and healthy is he going to have any standalone value?  I feel like I may be holding him just because of the preseason hype at this point and even if he does come back he may only be in line for 4-8 carries a game.  

Gore is old for a rb at 55, but it's a young 55. He will get his carries every week, but Singletary could have his own value. There aren't many other rbs out there for cheap that have his upside. 

ohhh you mean the rookie with the bad hamstring on a weakish offense? yeah im holding him too but only in leagues with deep benches and barren wires.

As I saw someone else once post, never underestimate the ability of NFL coaches to mis-use talent.  However, I don't see how they can keep him off the field.  In the first two games he was electric, producing chunk yardage every time he touched the ball.  An absurd 12 ypc that wasn't inflated by one ridiculously long run.  23 and 20 were his longest runs in each game - throw those two out and he was still averaging over 10 ypc.  Granted a small sample size, but nothing that would suggest it would be a bad idea to give him more touches. 

He as little stand alone value.  

Going to be based on game situations. 

He probly has as much or more upside as any other RB you can acquire at his price right now, so if you have a deep enough bench to hold him for the 2nd half of the season, it's not a bad investment.

3 hours ago, gardenstatepkwy said:

Even when hes back and healthy is he going to have any standalone value?  I feel like I may be holding him just because of the preseason hype at this point and even if he does come back he may only be in line for 4-8 carries a game.  

Why would you think he would only get 4-8 carries?  Singletary is clearly the better back and the future.  He is being developed, so the logical thing to think is he would be getting more and more carries as the season progresses.

Once Singletary comes back the plan will continue, he will become more and more involved and Gore will be phased out.  Seems pretty clear to me.  If you can't wait it out ditch him for some short term help.

Mm I don’t think Gore will be phased out.  

I think he will continue to be used as offten as Singletary. 

I hope they wait until he is fully healthy before they bring him back. This guy is the real deal. I have him under contract for 4 years and think he will be a special RB in the league.

12 minutes ago, sderk said:

I hope they wait until he is fully healthy before they bring him back. This guy is the real deal. I have him under contract for 4 years and think he will be a special RB in the league.

Conflict of interest much?

5 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Conflict of interest much?

Nope. I drafted him because I thought that. And that is why I put him on a long term contract. That's kind of how I work my drafts. I don't draft random then start liking the players that I have. 

23 minutes ago, sderk said:

Nope. I drafted him because I thought that. And that is why I put him on a long term contract. That's kind of how I work my drafts. I don't draft random then start liking the players that I have. 

That's exactly the conflict of interest I was talking about--you are invested in the player you're touting.

7 minutes ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Would you trade Darrel Williams for Singletary?

Yes.

12 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

That's exactly the conflict of interest I was talking about--you are invested in the player you're touting.

Well, should a person who drafted someone and thinks highly of that player not give their opinion on that player? I once drafted artis-payne and later said no bueno on that guy. I'm still objective on my players. This year, I thought highly of Carson, and he is so-so. If Singletary doesn't become injury prone at the pro level, he is electric and a nice guy to have on the roster. I've had a ton of rookie wins for cheap long term contracts in the past in Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas, David Johnson, etc. But I have definitely had my misses.

1 hour ago, RedzoneMonster said:

Would you trade Darrel Williams for Singletary?

Quickly 

1 hour ago, sderk said:

Well, should a person who drafted someone and thinks highly of that player not give their opinion on that player? I once drafted artis-payne and later said no bueno on that guy. I'm still objective on my players. This year, I thought highly of Carson, and he is so-so. If Singletary doesn't become injury prone at the pro level, he is electric and a nice guy to have on the roster. I've had a ton of rookie wins for cheap long term contracts in the past in Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown, Michael Thomas, David Johnson, etc. But I have definitely had my misses.

Everyone's allowed to give their opinions, and I'm not saying you're right or wrong about Singletary.  I just find it amusing when people talk about how some kid is going to be the Next Big Thing, and, of course, they have him on their dynasty team.  Of course it's possible for people to remain objective when there is a conflict of interest, but it should be noted when there is one.

I don't know if I'd say Carson is "so-so" though; he's the RB14 in PPR scoring and is averaging 14.1 fantasy points per week, despite the stinky 4.0 Week 3 game.  When guys like Ekeler and Aaron Jones come back to Earth--and Carson has a few more weeks to average out that dismal day--I'd expect him to finish among the top 10 PPR RBs.

23 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Everyone's allowed to give their opinions, and I'm not saying you're right or wrong about Singletary.  I just find it amusing when people talk about how some kid is going to be the Next Big Thing, and, of course, they have him on their dynasty team.  Of course it's possible for people to remain objective when there is a conflict of interest, but it should be noted when there is one.

I don't know if I'd say Carson is "so-so" though; he's the RB14 in PPR scoring and is averaging 14.1 fantasy points per week, despite the stinky 4.0 Week 3 game.  When guys like Ekeler and Aaron Jones come back to Earth--and Carson has a few more weeks to average out that dismal day--I'd expect him to finish among the top 10 PPR RBs.

I don't understand what a conflict of interest is in fantasy football. But anyway, I thought higher of Singletary than anyone else in my draft since I outbid them all and got him for less than 8% of cap. Doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about him. In his rookie year I got Michael Thomas for 5%. So sometimes these things work out. As for Carson, I'm not really down on him, just hoping he stops fumbling. Good game this past week. 26 touches and no fumbles. :thumbsup:

Just made a deal where I send Kupp and Singletary for Kamara and Hunt. I was deep at receiver and a little shallow at rb with Henry, Gore and Mccoy as my only healthy backs. 

23 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Just made a deal where I send Kupp and Singletary for Kamara and Hunt. I was deep at receiver and a little shallow at rb with Henry, Gore and Mccoy as my only healthy backs. 

Wow, I don't know if I would have dealt a top 5 WR when I already had Henry, McCoy and the Buffalo backfield, but I hope it works out for you.

29 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Wow, I don't know if I would have dealt a top 5 WR when I already had Henry, McCoy and the Buffalo backfield, but I hope it works out for you.

I think it will. Other receivers are

Sutton, Hill, Chark, Arob, Hardman. 

28 minutes ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I think it will. Other receivers are

Sutton, Hill, Chark, Arob, Hardman. 

Yeah, that's kind of my point--you don't really have any other WR1s at the moment, let alone one in the top 5.

31 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yeah, that's kind of my point--you don't really have any other WR1s at the moment, let alone one in the top 5.

Chark and Sutton will be. Arob just needs some tds to get close, and once Hill gets back he will be a top 5. 

2 hours ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

Chark and Sutton will be. Arob just needs some tds to get close, and once Hill gets back he will be a top 5. 

Opinions vary.  I really wouldn't want to be in the position of counting on Chark, Sutton OR Robinson to be my WR1 at any point this season though.

Hill MIGHT be top 5 when he returns (top 10 anyway), but he's still probably a couple of weeks from returning, and I said "at the moment."

33 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

2nd half of season lotto ticket, hold onto him.

I had a few of these. Singletary, Damien Harris and Jaylen Samuels all in one league. It's a league where we are limited to 10 moves, so it's not as easy to just flip players from the ww. Plus bot being patient has bit me in the past multiple times. I'm at 2-2 so I am trying to be patient with these guys to see if one of them pops. 

If Devin can stay healthy he really has a shot at taking controlling of the Buffalo backfield and could perform at top 10 level.  He can run and catch so especially valuable in PPR.  At worst a flex play.

1 hour ago, Frozenbeernuts said:

I had a few of these. Singletary, Damien Harris and Jaylen Samuels all in one league. It's a league where we are limited to 10 moves, so it's not as easy to just flip players from the ww. Plus bot being patient has bit me in the past multiple times. I'm at 2-2 so I am trying to be patient with these guys to see if one of them pops. 

Off topic, but for the life of me I don't understand the point of rules like that. Playing the WW is one of the best parts of fantasy, and also a good way to ensure skill wins out over luck.

11 minutes ago, zftcg said:

Off topic, but for the life of me I don't understand the point of rules like that. Playing the WW is one of the best parts of fantasy, and also a good way to ensure skill wins out over luck.

i'm not advocating this as i've historically been someone who makes among the most moves.  however, being devil's advocate, the best reasoning i have heard is it levels the playing field a bit for those that can't be at their computer and/or on their phone with internet access all the time and be able to react to every tiny nugget of info

23 minutes ago, zftcg said:

7 minutes ago, cavern said:

i'm not advocating this as i've historically been someone who makes among the most moves.  however, being devil's advocate, the best reasoning i have heard is it levels the playing field a bit for those that can't be at their computer and/or on their phone with internet access all the time and be able to react to every tiny nugget of info

10 moves is a little strict, but another reason leagues limit moves is to prevent "churning"--where sometimes someone will pick up and then release all the free TEs or QBs or Ks or Ds or whatever to lock them all into waivers and keep an opponent from picking up a legitimate bye week replacement or something.

I have one league where a team has made 53 moves already, and others with teams that have made 41 and 36.  There's even one 16-team league where 5 of the teams have made over 30 moves already.  Can people really hate the teams they drafted so badly?

2 hours ago, zftcg said:

I personally don't like it at all. The majority would probably be in favor of going to unlimited, but there are two owners who have pretty much threatened to quit the league over it. It's a home town league and it's not the easiest to find people who are reliable. So we just said fock it and kept the rule. 

We charge $5 for every trade/waiver move. It doesn't completely eliminate the occasional add/drop of an opponents possible needs, but it does seem to curtail some of the shenanigans. All these fees go toward paying high score each week.

Regarding Singletary- I had not seen much of him, so I went back and watched some highlights. He does seem to have that "it" factor, and it would surprise me if the kid doesn't get his chance to carry a much bigger load soon. Buffalo is relevant again, and they're going to need both he and Gore healthy, so resting the older Gore going forward would seem rational.

HAHA here's a question for you-my RBs are Barkley (hurt), Chubb, Kerryon Johnson (bye), and Singletary. To field 2 RBs, do I drop Singletary (probably not gonna play this week) and pick up Darrel Williams, Mile Sanders.....................? Or drop Kerryon? Trades? HAHA our league (especially when you're in a jam) doesn't trade very much.

Singletary was "close" to playing last week, after practicing on a limited basis Thursday and Friday.  I think I would just start him this week, rather than dropping him for another part-timer, and hope for the best.

15 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Singletary was "close" to playing last week, after practicing on a limited basis Thursday and Friday.  I think I would just start him this week, rather than dropping him for another part-timer, and hope for the best.

Thanks, that's kinda what I'm waiting for, to see if he's going to be playing. If he does I will play him, I sure don't want to drop him for a "maybe" player in DW or Sanders. Have a good one Elf, thanks again.