sderk

Top Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani killed by air strikes in Baghdad

From Trump's Twitter:

These Media Posts will serve as notification to the United States Congress that should Iran strike any U.S. person or target, the United States will quickly & fully strike back, & perhaps in a disproportionate manner. Such legal notice is not required, but is given nevertheless!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

I just read the US requested peace meetings between Iran and SA and Iraq agreed to host them and that is why he was in Iraq

:lol:

That would be awesome if it were true. 

:lol:

2 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I fully support bombing and eliminating the ME, shouldve done it September 12th, 2001

I think America should focus her energy and resources on this side of the planet. 

1 minute ago, fandandy said:

I think America should focus her energy and resources on this side of the planet. 

They'll just become a problem again 10/20/30 years down the road

Just now, iam90sbaby said:

They'll just become a problem again 10/20/30 years down the road

We are half a world away.  None of those nitwits would even bother us if we weren't constantly over there meddling in their litter box.  Let that neighborhood deal with that nonsense.  Israel and Europe are right there and they have militaries.  We have wasted trillions of dollars and countless lives and there is not one success story that you can point to where we've made anything better.    

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jerryskids said:

I'd bet money he has that post pasted into a doc so he can quickly access it and re-post it, again and again.  :thumbsup:

And you would lose that bet.. You probably should not gamble. And for the rest of your garbage., get over it. Or go away. I've had it with that douche.  Go start your own thread on the topic instead.

4 minutes ago, fandandy said:

We are half a world away.  None of those nitwits would even bother us if we weren't constantly over there meddling in their litter box.  Let that neighborhood deal with that nonsense.  Israel and Europe are right there and they have militaries.  We have wasted trillions of dollars and countless lives and there is not one success story that you can point to where we've made anything better.    

Yeah, probably should have stayed out of Europe when Hitler was rampaging across it. We should have just went after Japan and called it a day..

2 minutes ago, sderk said:

Yeah, probably should have stayed out of Europe when Hitler was rampaging across it. We should have just went after Japan and called it a day..

There is not one European alive that I would send my child off to fight and die to protect.  Fock em.

Just now, fandandy said:

There is not one European alive that I would send my child off to fight and die to protect.  Fock em.

Hahaah. I'll give you that.

Same here. 1942? Sure. Today? No way. You’re on your own  Pierre and Sven

10 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Short sighted. Both hind and forward. 

Those cavemen will always have a problem with us and our way of living. Ignoring them will only allow them to eventually bring their fight to us. 

We dropped the bomb on Japan and the world got over it. Turn the ME to glass. The world will eventually get over that as well when they realize we put an end to islamic terrorism. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Same here. 1942? Sure. Today? No way. You’re on your own  Pierre and Sven

Why even in 1942 though?  Can you imagine how many brave American men we lost who never had a chance to have a family and raise their own American children, and for what?  So Europe could raise theirs?  Screw that.  

1 minute ago, 5-Points said:

Short sighted. Both hind and forward. 

Those cavemen will always have a problem with us and our way of living. Ignoring them will only allow them to eventually bring their fight to us. 

We dropped the bomb on Japan and the world got over it. Turn the ME to glass. The world will eventually get over that as well when they realize we put an end to islamic terrorism. 

The world would condemn us but secretly let out a big exhale in relief. 

I can't believe the outrage at taking out a bad guy that has killed 100s if not 1000s. Including his own people. It's typical TDS all over the place. Screw the ME, I say the US has every right to toy with those assh0les all they want. 

But then again, people protested the death penalty of John Wayne Gacy. What can you do?

Why even in 1942 though?  Can you imagine how many brave American men we lost who never had a chance to have a family and raise their own American children, and for what?  So Europe could raise theirs?  Screw that.  

So let's say Hitler was successful in his campaign. And soon after he got nukes. What would have happened next?

5 minutes ago, fandandy said:

Well, Germany did declare war on us. 

1 minute ago, sderk said:

So let's say Hitler was successful in his campaign. And soon after he got nukes. What would have happened next?

Israel has them, Pakistan, North Korea, India.  Should we take all those countries out?

23 minutes ago, fandandy said:

You're right.  We should leave and never go back but let them know if they ever even think about bothering us again they won't exist anymore + never let another one into our country again + ban islam.

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, Germany did declare war on us. 

And if attacked over here obviously we should have responded.  

I'd fight with my brothers in Europe long before I'd ever put my life on the line for anyone on the west coast who are technically Americans.  I wouldn't do either, but I would do that before I'd do the latter.

5 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

I'd fight with my brothers in Europe long before I'd ever put my life on the line for anyone on the west coast who are technically Americans.  I wouldn't do either, but I would do that before I'd do the latter.

And he has no weapons but brags to you about his free health care and 30 hour work week...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fandandy said:

FD - I hear you and I share a lot of the same concerns.    I read something today from a guy named Robert Nicholson and I thought it was really well said and thought out and deals with these issues head-on.    I know it's long but I am going to copy/paste it here.    It's worth the read

Robert Nicholson @rwnicholson

Watching today's angsty reactions to the Soleimani hit reminded me once again why Americans keep failing in the Middle East. Let me explain:

1. One common response I see: "Soleimani was bad but taking him out requires a comprehensive strategy. Cycles of violence will solve nothing. We need a path to peace. We must address the causes of terrorism. We need a plan to win this war and achieve a state of lasting justice."

2. To think the US can come up with (and impose) a comprehensive strategy to stop a multifaceted regional war is the height of ignorance and hubris. The Middle East will be plagued by conflict for the foreseeable future regardless of our well-laid plans. That's for starters.

3. It's possible -- now hang on folks -- there will be no peace in the Middle East for awhile. Americans eager for a grand settlement that puts every man at ease beneath his own vine and fig tree need to manage their expectations. We want justice, but it's not really up to us.

4. There is no strategy for peace, only tactics of power. "Cycle of violence" is just the way things work. Groups compete in low-intensity, tit-for-tat skirmishes rather than large conventional wars. You kill my guy, I kill yours. Stronger side wins, other side settles.

5. Americans like me want to break the cycle but, again, that's not really an option. Rather than try to break the cycle we should master it, but in the context of our own values. This means balance of power politics. It means building alliances. It means ground game.

6. Addressing root causes is attractive but it kind of requires curbing human nature and "West-splaining" to Muslims why we understand Islam better than they do. Invest (way) more in education. Give religious leaders a role. But know that it won't solve problems in the near term.

7. Of course we could decide to withdraw from this mess altogether. But that's an ethical decision too. Conflict will occur whether we're engaged or not. Is it better to wield our power toward better (if imperfect) outcomes, or let nature take its course? Hard question.

8. Between withdrawal and invasion is the preferred path of limited engagement: neither leave the Middle East to its own devices nor try to shape it in our image. Deploy power against power to restrain the worst actors, mitigate outbreak of total war, and protect our allies.

9. Absent shared values, power prevails. Competing narratives cannot reason from common principles. You can try to change the other's narrative but good luck. Better to obey the logic of limits: strike a balance, define boundaries, and enjoy the silence that stalemate brings.

10. It may seem counterintuitive that smarter use of power is the best path to peace but I can say from experience on the ground that somehow it works. I could make the Christian argument for why but maybe another day. Basically power equilibrium breeds stability and pluralism.

11. Ultimately this requires the occasional use of overwhelming violence. Wise statesman will be careful when and where they use it, but even the wisest cannot predict how the other side will react or when the cycle will end. Their wisdom lies in knowing the rules of the game.

12. We pride ourselves on grand strategy but fail at basic tactics. In the chaotic and unpredictable Middle East, mastery of "cycle of violence" tactics is unfortunately the starting point for any successful strategy.

It's also weirdly the best way to break the cycle.

(end)

• Thanks 1

Perfectly stated, above, captures some of the nuances involved

3 hours ago, bandrus1 said:

I just read the US requested peace meetings between Iran and SA and Iraq agreed to host them and that is why he was in Iraq

I read that as soon as the peace treaty was signed, he would develop a cure for cancer, provide food for needy orphans, and  help Greta Thunberg solve climate change funded by selling the Brooklyn Bridge to the billionaire that owns the website that printed what you read.

• Like 1

Economic experts told us Trump's tariffs and economic policies would drive us into another recession/depression. Exactly the opposite happened. Did they retract their opinion? Nope.

Immigration experts told us Trump's immigration policies would hurt the economy, cost thousands of lives of peaceful immigrants, cause Muslims to attack us, etc...Crime in those areas where the walls have gone up has gone down and sanctuary cities living conditions have gotten worse. Did they retract their positions?

Foreign policy experts told us Trump's foreign policy approach would anger allies, start wars, cause more terrorist attacks, destabilize regions, etc. Exactly the opposite happened. 

When are you all going to stop listening to 'the experts' whose only goal is to maintain a status quo?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Masshole said:

1. One common response I see: "Soleimani was bad but taking him out requires a comprehensive strategy. Cycles of violence will solve nothing. We need a path to peace. We must address the causes of terrorism. We need a plan to win this war and achieve a state of lasting justice."

Yeah, that's the plan. Sing to Soleimani a soothing song and he and his cohorts will throw down their weapons and want to embrace the West. China and Russia will break down in tears and want a group hug. :lol:

There will always be people who want to rule others at all costs. Look at history throughout the globe. Either force controlled peace or chaos through superiority has been the common theme for many civilizations. Yes, even for those oh so innocent "native" Americans. They killed the fvck out of each other.

Trump has been doing almost everything right and the left hates it. Why doesn't the left start with fixing that hatred first before they start talking about world peace. 

Huge crowds in Iran for commander's funeral, daughter warns U.S. of 'dark day'

DUBAI/WASHINGTON, Jan 6 (Reuters) - Hundreds of thousands of Iranians thronged Tehran's streets on Monday for the funeral of military commander Qassem Soleimani, killed by a U.S. drone strike last week, and his daughter said his death would bring a "dark day" for the United States.

"Crazy Trump, don't think that everything is over with my father's martyrdom," Zeinab Soleimani said in an address broadcast on state television.

The size of the crowds in Tehran, shown on television and which state media said numbered in the millions, mirrored the masses that gathered in 1989 for the funeral of the Islamic Republic's founder, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

Soleimani was a national hero to many Iranians, even those who did not consider themselves devoted supporters of Iran's clerical rulers.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/huge-crowds-in-iran-for-commanders-funeral-daughter-warns-us-of-dark-day/ar-BBYEzEo?

11 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

I fully support bombing and eliminating the ME, shouldve done it September 12th, 2001

Yeah, but by the 12th, the liberals were feeling sorry for the terrorists.  

12 hours ago, fandandy said:

This. There’s no winning over there. All any military action in the ME does is shift the balance of power from one player to another. 

33 minutes ago, MDC said:

This. There’s no winning over there. All any military action in the ME does is shift the balance of power from one player to another. 

This is where I get confused.  Just a month or so ago there was this wide spread lamenting of Trump moving a tiny amount of troops around in Syria, but now all the sudden we need to be "out"....it does not make sense eh?

I am ALL IN on removing troops, as well as dropping drone bombs on murderous thugs....

11 hours ago, Voltaire said:

I read that as soon as the peace treaty was signed, he would develop a cure for cancer, provide food for needy orphans, and  help Greta Thunberg solve climate change funded by selling the Brooklyn Bridge to the billionaire that owns the website that printed what you read.

I don't mean in general I mean it says specifically the US requested him to come to Iraq to carry out this operation out

12 minutes ago, RLLD said:

This is where I get confused.  Just a month or so ago there was this wide spread lamenting of Trump moving a tiny amoutn of troops around in Syria, but now all the sudden we need to be "out"....it does not make sense eh?

I am ALL IN on removing troops, as well as dropping drone bombs on murderous thugs....

I was on board with pulling out of Syria too.

:thumbsup: 

3 minutes ago, sderk said:

Perfect time for the next strike. Take em all out. I'm sure there are a few on this site alone that wish they were there joining in on the chant.

I guarantee there are some on here who's hearts are bleeding for their allies lost in the US drone strike.

19 minutes ago, MDC said:

I was on board with pulling out of Syria too.

:thumbsup: 

Common ground is a good thing....   :wub:

16 minutes ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Come on - you remember all those conservatives and republicans chanting exactly the same thing when Obama got us into the Libyan mess, right???