The Observer

Terrible song by a great band

1 minute ago, Strike said:

This is blasphemy in some of my circles but "Don't come around here no more" from TP and the Heartbreakers.  I focking hate that song.  If they wanted to do a cover of "Sweet Dreams" they just should have.  And they put it on a "theme" album about their southern roots.  God that could have been such a great album if TP hadn't been so loaded up on drugs and met Dave Stewart. 

That's the one with the Alice In Wonderland video, right? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Strike said:

Wanted Dead or Alive is a great song.

ok....I'll give you that

45 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

We built this city

True.....though that song is catchy as hell!

Just now, Big Guy said:

Sure is. You can catch the gay by listening to it. 

4 minutes ago, DonS said:

That's the one with the Alice In Wonderland video, right? 

Yeah.  The video is cool.  TP made some of the coolest videos.  But the song sucks.

43 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Fock all that Doo Wap Sh!t!

agreed, Billy's great but can't stand it

44 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Fock all that Doo Wap Sh!t!

Uptown Girl is a much bigger travesty. 

20 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Angel as a Centerfold.

Or just "Centerfold"

Yeah that song is in the same category as the kid who's father was blind and died and he begged the coach to put him in the game so his father could see him play.

Cats in the Cradle is one i hate. Love Harry Chapin's stuff people never heard of like, "A better place to be." But Cats just is awful.

5 minutes ago, Big Guy said:

I always thought Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now from Mannequin was catchy too.   I didn't hate Starship.  If you consider them a totally separate band from Jefferson Airplane. They had some great songs with Mickey Thomas on vocals.  Find Your Way Back, Jane,  No Way Out,  Stanger, Winds of Change

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

almost, when I hear the 2 I mentioned I at least listen to them

The live version of Bad is awesome 

8 minutes ago, The Elevator Killer said:

Yeah that song is in the same category as the kid who's father was blind and died and he begged the coach to put him in the game so his father could see him play.

Cats in the Cradle is one i hate. Love Harry Chapin's stuff people never heard of like, "A better place to be." But Cats just is awful.

So you never heard the version of "Cats in the Cradle" (title changed from Chapin's version) by Ugly Kid Joe?

Just now, posty said:

So you never heard the version of "Cat's in the Cradle" by Ugly Kid Joe?

No, can't say I have. Is it an improvement? Am I going have a good time then? I'm I really gonna have a good time then? 

1 minute ago, The Elevator Killer said:

No, can't say I have. Is it an improvement? Am I going have a good time then? I'm I really gonna have a good time then? 

Probably not since you already dislike the original...  UKJ's version is a little heavier so it doesn't seem "folksie"...

Just now, posty said:

Probably not since you already dislike the original...  UKJ's version is a little heavier so it doesn't seem "folksie"...

I might check it out. To me it's just such a whiny song. 

I can't believe no one has said Yellow Submarine yet!

That Smell. I think I boycotted Skynyrd for a few weeks after hearing this

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

I can't believe no one has said Yellow Submarine yet!

Eleanor Rigby trumps Yellow Submarine in my opinion. 

45 minutes ago, Strike said:

Wanted Dead or Alive is a great song.

That and Blaze of Glory are my two favorites from him.  Little Runaway is not on my radar.  :dunno:

I was always a huge Kansas fan (Leftoverture is on my top 10 all-time albums list) but they had an MTV hit in the early 80's called (Fight)Fire with Fire.  All synthesizered up.  Sounded nothing like Kansas. Definitely their worst hit.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I always thought Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now from Mannequin was catchy too.   I didn't hate Starship.  If you consider them a totally separate band from Jefferson Airplane. They had some great songs with Mickey Thomas on vocals.  Find Your Way Back, Jane,  No Way Out,  Stanger, Winds of Change

Mickey was great.......love "Find Your Way Back"

15 minutes ago, BufordT said:

That Smell. I think I boycotted Skynyrd for a few weeks after hearing this

Agreed......they took rednekkedness to a whole new level with that song

21 hours ago, The Observer said:

I was always a huge Kansas fan (Leftoverture is on my top 10 all-time albums list) but they had an MTV hit in the early 80's called (Fight)Fire with Fire.  All synthesizered up.  Sounded nothing like Kansas. Definitely their worst hit.

Just bringing this up as you might find it interesting being a huge fan but Steve Walsh grew up here(only member from Missouri),in fact at one time he was married to my best friend's Aunt.I'm assuming as a huge fan you're also familiar with his solo work the first being a smash called Schemer Dreamer? Anyhow the song Every Step Of The Way about their struggles making it includes the line, " And from hand to mouth I was livin' playing every bar in town" is in reference to one of the bars just across the state line called The Breezeway that was 18 and older and we used to frequent when young.

1 minute ago, nzoner said:

Just bringing this up as you might find it interesting being a huge fan but Steve Walsh grew up here(only member from Missouri),in fact at one time he was married to my best friend's Aunt.I'm assuming as a huge fan you're also familiar with his solo work the first being a smash called Schemer Dreamer? Anyhow the song Every Step Of The Way about their struggles making it includes the line, " And from hand to mouth I was livin' playing every bar in town" is in reference to one of the bars just across the state line called The Breezeway that was 18 and older and we used to frequent when young.

No way.  That's awesome.  Yes, I have that album. Or did.  It was on vinyl. I never did replace it with a CD.   For a while back in the late 70's, Walsh had one of the best voices in rock. He was awesome. Did you ever meet him?

2 minutes ago, The Observer said:

No way.  That's awesome.  Yes, I have that album. Or did.  It was on vinyl. I never did replace it with a CD.   For a while back in the late 70's, Walsh had one of the best voices in rock. He was awesome. Did you ever meet him?

Last I checked that album is worth a mint,unfortunately I lost mine in a fire.Yes,I met him after his first departure from the band when he was with his band Streets and for a rock star he was very down to earth and cordial.

1 minute ago, nzoner said:

Last I checked that album is worth a mint,unfortunately I lost mine in a fire.Yes,I met him after his first departure from the band when he was with his band Streets and for a rock star he was very down to earth and cordial.

Very cool.  Fortunately for him, he was not a part of the band when they recorded Fire with Fire. He had quite because Kerry Livgren was born again and wanted to go too far into a christian rock direction. 

9 minutes ago, The Observer said:

Very cool.  Fortunately for him, he was not a part of the band when they recorded Fire with Fire. He had quite because Kerry Livgren was born again and wanted to go too far into a christian rock direction. 

I'm assuming you've seen this documentary?

4 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I'm assuming you've seen this documentary?

I have not.  Is the whole thing on YouTube?

On 5/18/2020 at 2:35 PM, nzoner said:

I all but gave up on them after that entire album  

Me too.  My HS gf loved that album and I hated it. 

44 minutes ago, The Observer said:

I have not.  Is the whole thing on YouTube?

I believe it's rent or buy only.

13 minutes ago, nzoner said:

I believe it's rent or buy only.

I'll look into it.  I would definitely like to see it. Thanks

Mony Mony by Billy Idol. I am sure many will argue that he was not "great" bu that song really blows. 

12 minutes ago, KayJay1971 said:

Mony Mony by Billy Idol. I am sure many will argue that he was not "great" bu that song really blows. 

I bet the b1tch in this Billy Idol video really blows. :banana:

On 5/18/2020 at 1:52 PM, Hardcore troubadour said:

Eleanor Rigby trumps Yellow Submarine in my opinion. 

Eleanor Rigby is an absolute gem!!!

Absolutely in line with Paul & the Beatles timeline & journey.