Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

GOAT of GOATs

Who is the GOAT of GOATs?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Answer already, why do I need to type this?

1 minute ago, Reality said:

You either have the numbers or you don't. 

Catches are a possibility if he could play 2 or 3 more years.  Yards and TD's are out of reach.

Let's not forget that Rice played for 7 more seasons as well.  Payton averaged more total yards and TDs per season.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Let's not forget that Rice played for 7 more seasons as well.  Payton averaged more total yards and TDs per season.

Yup, the most durable player ever also.  Good point.

:thumbsup:

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

He played WR.

And?  He played in an era where you could still hit people.  You aren't doing anything to help your cause here.

Just now, Reality said:

And?  He played in an era where you could still hit people.  You aren't doing anything to help your cause here.

I'm not doing anything to hurt it either.  Look, I love Rice and he was always one of my favorite players, but I have an issue giving the top spot to a WR.

Of the two I vote Gretzky. You can make a case for a handful of other NBA players as GOAT. You can’t make a case for anyone else in hockey.

I’ve got a really hard time calling a receiver the best football player of alltime.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

How did a  thread about the GOAT's become a  discussion about a guy who DID NOT EVEN MAKE THE BRACKET?  I mean, when yahoo sports doesn't even think a person belongs in the bracket you know it's a misguided argument.  A partial list of people Yahoo sports thought were more deserving:

Mia Hamm

Mario Andretti

Michael Phelps

Annika Sorenstam

1 minute ago, Strike said:

How did a  thread about the GOAT's become a  discussion about a guy who DID NOT EVEN MAKE THE BRACKET?  I mean, when yahoo sports doesn't even think a person belongs in the bracket you know it's a misguided argument.  A partial list of people Yahoo sports thought were more deserving:

Mia Hamm

Mario Andretti

Michael Phelps

Annika Sorenstam

Kind of tells you how terrible the bracket is...

3 minutes ago, MDC said:

Of the two I vote Gretzky. You can make a case for a handful of other NBA players as GOAT. You can’t make a case for anyone else in hockey.

I’ve got a really hard time calling a receiver the best football player of alltime.

People that cover the league don't have that issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl-100/2019/10/01/nfl-100-best-players-all-time/3785514002/

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

Mia Hamm

Mario Andretti

Michael Phelps

Annika Sorenstam

Phelps belongs IMO.

52 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I'll take Walter Payton over Rice.

I like WP, but you can make an argument for about 4-5 players as "best rb."

1 minute ago, Bier Meister said:

I like WP, but you can make an argument for about 4-5 players as "best rb."

I would probably pick them all over Rice as best player in NFL history.

16 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Phelps belongs IMO.

Agreed...  So does Mia IMO as well...

18 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Phelps belongs IMO.

Oh, I don't know that any don't belong.  They're at the top of their sports.  But seriously, who's gonna say a swimmer is the Greatest of the Greats of ALL sports?

1 minute ago, posty said:

Agreed...  So does Mia IMO as well...

How so?  Does she have crazy stats like some of the others?  She may, I'm just asking.  Because otherwise to me she is the soccer chick who took off her top after they won.  :dunno:

Just now, jerryskids said:

How so?  Does she have crazy stats like some of the others?  She may, I'm just asking.  Because otherwise to me she is the soccer chick who took off her top after they won.  :dunno:

She's not the one that took off her top.

34 minutes ago, Reality said:

Kind of tells you how terrible the bracket is...

People that cover the league don't have that issue.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl-100/2019/10/01/nfl-100-best-players-all-time/3785514002/

I never said they did. I said that I have trouble calling a wideout the best football player ever, even Jerry Rice. Wideouts in general have far less impact on the game than QBs and elite defenders and their success is too contingent on the quarterback.

Jerry Rice is a Top 10 player in my book. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I would probably pick them all over Rice as best player in NFL history.

Rice should be in the conversation, even if i personally do not love including a WR. Rice had gaudy numbers.

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

That was Brandi Chastain, but Mia put soccer on the map for girls/women's soccer...  When she retired in 2004, she had the most goals by a man or woman in international soccer history...  She was the face of women's soccer...

Just now, Bier Meister said:

Rice should be in the conversation, even if i personally do not love including a WR. Rice had gaudy numbers.

He's a no doubt, top 10 player of all time.

54 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I mean don’t get me wrong, I’m very impressed by Jerry Rice and always will be. But dude caught passes from joe Montana and Steve young and played on some of the better teams in NFL history. Does not even belong in this conversation imo

More like those QBs played with him. Maybe they don’t win as much without him. Also saying he doesn’t belong in the conversation when 99% of articles or lists of all timers will have Jerry right at or near the top is a bit much. He obviously is “in the conversation”.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

More like those QBs played with him. Maybe they don’t win as much without him. Also saying he doesn’t belong in the conversation when 99% of articles or lists of all timers will have Jerry right at or near the top is a bit much. He obviously is “in the conversation”.

well, joe won 2 sbs before they drafted rice, and lost a very debatable nfcc game vs wash in the 83/84 season

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

well, joe won 2 sbs before they drafted rice, and lost a very debatable nfcc game vs wash in the 83/84 season

Yes, hence “as much”.

I also don’t believe in going tit for tat of teammates and coaches. Maybe jester doesn’t win without the rest of the Yankees, Walsh can’t call those plays with rice and young, so and so can’t do such and such without him and the other guy. You could go down the line all day with every great. It’s best to just take what’s solid, what a guy did. What’s on the books.

7 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Yes, hence “as much”.

There is nothing to indicated that montana could not remain highly competitive without rice.  We do not know about young.

If Gretzky wins this will it be considered racist that a white man defeated a black man?

5 minutes ago, posty said:

The important thing is Wayne is up 13-7, as it should be...

Apparently the poll went up last nigh, just before midnight, so it's been about 18 hours.  In that time frame (I just voted and saw the number), 25,908 people voted and Gretzky is winning 53% to 47%, so... 13,731 to 12,177.  A 1,560 margin lead isn't to hard to overcome.

1 hour ago, Thornton Melon said:

If Wayne Gretzky never scored a goal, he'd still be the all-time leading points scorer in the NHL.

yeah but who has the most goals...Gretzky.  the GOAT of GOATS.

5 hours ago, Strike said:

Mia Hamm

Mario Andretti

Michael Phelps

Annika Sorenstam

Hamm, Andretti, and Phelps definitely should be in the discussion.  Andrettis resume is ridiculous.  

It is Gretzky.  It probably seems odd to the casual fan that a hockey player that played in Los Angeles is the winner though.  The Kings rank like 6th or 7th in this area and its not a sports town.

What's really crazy is that, 10 years from now, Los Angeles might lock down the top 2 spots in this poll.   The greatest baseball player of all time might wind up being Shohei Ohtani.  He is only 26 and had to have Tommy John surgery.  But he has bounced back and is striking out everyone as a starting pitcher and crushing the baseball as a hitter in spring training right now.  He is unearthly.  He is doing things that just should not be possible.

49 minutes ago, riversco said:

What's really crazy is that, 10 years from now, Los Angeles might lock down the top 2 spots in this poll.   The greatest baseball player of all time might wind up being Shohei Ohtani.  He is only 26 and had to have Tommy John surgery.  But he has bounced back and is striking out everyone as a starting pitcher and crushing the baseball as a hitter in spring training right now.  He is unearthly.  He is doing things that just should not be possible.

Ugh.  No

6 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Ugh.  No

its super early but ohtani might just be the greatest baseball player of all time.  he has a shot.

3 hours ago, riversco said:

You spelled Mike Trout wrong...

Ohtani :lol: