jerryskids

I have Cancer :/ -- still doing well

44 minutes ago, Mike Isles said:

Fixorated 

Nurse that washed me down today was pretty cute, 36 B or C.

Feeling better every day.  Which is to say, less bad.

The awesome news is — pathology showed no signs of distant metastasis, it looks like it was contained.  :banana:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

On 10/1/2020 at 7:41 AM, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Judging from the feedback, I think you are incorrect. Boobies have tremendous healing potential. 

I'd love a set of big juicy placebo boobies in my face. 

27 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

The awesome news is — pathology showed no signs of distant metastasis, it looks like it was contained.  :banana:

Focking Stellar!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

Hell yeah!!!

2 hours ago, jerryskids said:

How long are they going to wait before they do a follow up PET scan?  In my case the doc waited 3 months in order to give my throat time to heal, otherwise the scan might've come back with a false positive. 

Outstanding 

Did it move?

29 minutes ago, DonS said:

How long are they going to wait before they do a follow up PET scan?  In my case the doc waited 3 months in order to give my throat time to heal, otherwise the scan might've come back with a false positive. 

No idea.  Radiation starts in about 6 weeks and goes 6 more.  Perhaps they’ll scan before that.

6 minutes ago, Gladiators said:

Did it move?

No.  Well, maybe a little.  :) 

• Haha 1

JK, my esophagus hurts like hell. Nothing compared to what you're going through of course. But I hope this helps. They gave me a cocktail of mylanta and Lidocaine.

You have to mix it really good and drink it pretty much and as much as you can just so the lidocaine doesn't settle to the bottom.

Basically, it Just deadens your whole esophagus. Which feels good to me.

Hth. Take care brother

1 hour ago, wiffleball said:

JK, my esophagus hurts like hell. Nothing compared to what you're going through of course. But I hope this helps. They gave me a cocktail of mylanta and Lidocaine.

You have to mix it really good and drink it pretty much and as much as you can just so the lidocaine doesn't settle to the bottom.

Hth. Take care brother

Oh yeah!  This concoction works pretty well.  :thumbsup:

10 hours ago, jerryskids said:

This news is better then the boob news. !!!!

We knew you had this Skids !!!

8 hours ago, wiffleball said:

Hth. Take care brother

Thanks.  I’m on a feeding tube, in fact I graduate from a pump to a bolus (basically self feed with tube) some time today.  So no concoctions of my own making.  But my throat is OK.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jerryskids said:

No idea.  Radiation starts in about 6 weeks and goes 6 more.  Perhaps they’ll scan before that.

Hope that goes well, we will be here the whole way don’t worry! Good news is, using the info we learned from Artistas totally real not at all made up for sympathy cancer journey, Chemo should only take about 4-5 years.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks.  I’m on a feeding tube, in fact I graduate from a pump to a bolus (basically self feed with tube) some time today.  So no concoctions of my own making.  But my throat is OK.  :thumbsup:

In fact, they are trying to fatten me up.  I need to take in the equivalent of 7 cans of Ensure today.  Plus 4 large water flushes.  I’m going to be hourglass shaped by HT standards when I leave this place.

3 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Hope that goes well, we will be here the whole way don’t worry! Good news is, using the info we learned from Artistas totally real not at all made up for sympathy cancer journey, Chemo should only take about 4-5 years.

Hadn’t really thought of her, interesting.  I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.  I may go back and read some of her stuff if the Closet is still around. :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, jerryskids said:

Hadn’t really thought of her, interesting.  I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.  I may go back and read some of her stuff if the Closet is still around. :thumbsup:

Yea it’s gonna suck. The throat stuff gives me the willies as it is. As long as there is light on the other side of the tunnel you can get through it.

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

In fact, they are trying to fatten me up.  I need to take in the equivalent of 7 cans of Ensure today.  Plus 4 large water flushes.  I’m going to be hourglass shaped by HT standards when I leave this place.

Ahhhh memories of the feeding tube.  Once you consume nothing but ensure your sh1ts are going to be like an infants.  Enjoy!

Were you awake when they put the feeding tube in?  Felt like they were taking a staple gun to my belly to punch through. 

2 minutes ago, DonS said:

Ahhhh memories of the feeding tube.  Once you consume nothing but ensure your sh1ts are going to be like an infants.  Enjoy!

Were you awake when they put the feeding tube in?  Felt like they were taking a staple gun to my belly to punch through. 

Nah, they stuck it in while I was in surgery.  Also I haven’t had a real sh1t since I got here.  :wall: 

18 minutes ago, tanatastic said:

Lol. Obviously you've read that thread. 🙄  Let me give you a synopsis. I'm stage 3 cancer free since June 2016 when I completed rads. I'm on Tamoxifen since then with some sucky side effects but doable since the aromatase inhibitors I should be on for my age had debilitating ses. I have routine labs, scans and appts. As far as I know, I'm doing ok. That bc thread has long been about life, lately about my dad. If you'd kept up you'd know the cancer talk has been long done, but you just look at the title and pages. So since I do have people keeping tabs on me over there, I ended that thread since I can't edit the title.

JK, I don't wish what you're going through to anyone. I wish you cancer free for life and a smooth as possible recovery.

Update$#@!  I came home late last night, spent this day getting settled in and surfing here.  Next up is a meeting with the medical oncologist on Friday, then a swallow test on Monday (after which hopefully I can eat smoothies with my mouf).

The med onc discussion will include chemo and immunotherapy.  I don’t expect chemo based on the pathology of the lymph nodes, but I will push the discussion because of how much those nodes grew since the last PET scan.  I’ll also bring up immunotherapy, which is also probably not indicated and I will also want to discuss for the same reason.

Surgery for the speech prosthetic won’t happen for 3-4 weeks.  I forget if I mentioned it, but there was too much reconstruction to do it while I was in this surgery.  This kinda sucks as I’m pretty much silent until then, and will need to learn to talk afterward.

Should learn the radiation schedule in the next week as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are you at Mayo?

My uncle had some type of throat cancer back in the early 00's, surgery, radiation, chemo, the whole nine yards at John Hopkins. Ate out of a feeding tube for like 6 months after, then was able to resume solid foods. Fast forward 15 years and he had to have a jaw replacement because the radiation destroyed his jaw. Back on liquids for a year before and after. Had to relearn how to talk, lost his yankee accent. A rough road for sure initially and again when they did the jaw replacement, but no recurrence of the cancer. I don't recall the exact type of cancer he had so all of the above could very well be completely irrelevant to what you are going through, but figured I'd share a story of someone getting knocked down but not out and still being able to live a fulfilling life into his 70's and beyond.

I am sure the treatments and prosthetics available now are light years ahead of what was available 20 years ago. And Mayo is as good as it gets, I know a half dozen people who were on their last option and Mayo is why they are still here today. 

Stay strong brother. 

Thanks for the update Jerry.  Glad you seem to be progressing reasonably well, all things considered.  Keep us posted.  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Update$#@!  I came home late last night, spent this day getting settled in and surfing here.  Next up is a meeting with the medical oncologist on Friday, then a swallow test on Monday (after which hopefully I can eat smoothies with my mouf).

The med onc discussion will include chemo and immunotherapy.  I don’t expect chemo based on the pathology of the lymph nodes, but I will push the discussion because of how much those nodes grew since the last PET scan.  I’ll also bring up immunotherapy, which is also probably not indicated and I will also want to discuss for the same reason.

Surgery for the speech prosthetic won’t happen for 3-4 weeks.  I forget if I mentioned it, but there was too much reconstruction to do it while I was in this surgery.  This kinda sucks as I’m pretty much silent until then, and will need to learn to talk afterward.

Jesus buddy, my heart breaks every time I read  you. So much respect for you. Take your burden if I could. Focking A mean that. 

Dammit. 

25 minutes ago, Goggins said:

Are you at Mayo?

My uncle had some type of throat cancer back in the early 00's, surgery, radiation, chemo, the whole nine yards at John Hopkins. Ate out of a feeding tube for like 6 months after, then was able to resume solid foods. Fast forward 15 years and he had to have a jaw replacement because the radiation destroyed his jaw. Back on liquids for a year before and after. Had to relearn how to talk, lost his yankee accent. A rough road for sure initially and again when they did the jaw replacement, but no recurrence of the cancer. I don't recall the exact type of cancer he had so all of the above could very well be completely irrelevant to what you are going through, but figured I'd share a story of someone getting knocked down but not out and still being able to live a fulfilling life into his 70's and beyond.

I am sure the treatments and prosthetics available now are light years ahead of what was available 20 years ago. And Mayo is as good as it gets, I know a half dozen people who were on their last option and Mayo is why they are still here today. 

Stay strong brother. 

Eesh, umm, thanks?  Anyway, mine is throat cancer too.  Radiation should be low enough dose to not impact the jaw.  Also the initial location did not indicate radiation of the jaw, but the lymph nodes grew somewhat higher by the time of surgery.  Radiation is no bueno for bone, so I’m hoping to avoid a direct hit.

Also yes I am at Mayo.  

On 10/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, tanatastic said:

You, sir, are a miserable piece of sh1t. 
Why would you even post something like that?  Seriously :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Eesh, umm, thanks?  Anyway, mine is throat cancer too.  Radiation should be low enough dose to not impact the jaw.  Also the initial location did not indicate radiation of the jaw, but the lymph nodes grew somewhat higher by the time of surgery.  Radiation is no bueno for bone, so I’m hoping to avoid a direct hit.

Also yes I am at Mayo.  

Any chance you'll become Hulk? 

39 minutes ago, Goggins said:

And for what it's worth, I met a lady a few weeks ago who was diagnosed with breast cancer in January, went through surgery/chemo through July, and she swears by taking some medication used to treat worms in dogs. Sounds insane, but apparently a lot of people are trying it out. 

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fenbendazole+cancer+treatment&ia=web

Thanks, hadn’t heard of that.  Interesting that it is believed to work in part by inhibiting sugar intake.  I left the hospital with a bunch of Ensure-like drinks for my feeding tube, they are mostly sugar because (1) that is an easy way to get calories in a liquid, and (2) the medical community is woefully ignorant on dietary impacts such as this.  Today we transitioned to my wife starting to make the drinks herself, for instance mashing up some soup we had in the freezer.  Still had some carbs (beans) but high fiber vs. glucose.

6 minutes ago, wiffleball said:

Any chance you'll become Hulk? 

That’s gamma radiation silly.  :rolleyes:  That being said, I currently have 3 pecs, since they sliced one in half and stuffed it in my throat.  Also, I can bury my face in a woman’s crotch and never need to come up for air, so that is a bit of a superpower.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Thanks, hadn’t heard of that.  Interesting that it is believed to work in part by inhibiting sugar intake.  I left the hospital with a bunch of Ensure-like drinks for my feeding tube, they are mostly sugar because (1) that is an easy way to get calories in a liquid, and (2) the medical community is woefully ignorant on dietary impacts such as this.  Today we transitioned to my wife starting to make the drinks herself, for instance mashing up some soup we had in the freezer.  Still had some carbs (beans) but high fiber vs. glucose.

Yeah I know you know about Keto... there seems to be a pretty decent correlation to cancer loving sugar/carbs.  Some.folks sayimg their cancer stopped progression once they went low low carb.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2019/aug/anti-cancer-properties-of-ketogenic-diet-reported-in-new-study-91252827.html

That’s gamma radiation silly.  :rolleyes:  That being said, I currently have 3 pecs, since they sliced one in half and stuffed it in my throat.  Also, I can bury my face in a woman’s crotch and never need to come up for air, so that is a bit of a superpower.  :thumbsup:

Sh1t, man.  That's what gave me the cancer.  Granted I still eat at the Y, but I figure lightning can't strike twice, right? God can't be that big of a d1ck. He's too busy dropping church roofs on his faithful. 

10 hours ago, mmmmm...beer said:

Yeah I know you know about Keto... there seems to be a pretty decent correlation to cancer loving sugar/carbs.  Some.folks sayimg their cancer stopped progression once they went low low carb.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/2019/aug/anti-cancer-properties-of-ketogenic-diet-reported-in-new-study-91252827.html

Thanks.  That’s very relevant, as mine is both squamous cell carcinoma and esophogeal.  :thumbsup:

I apologize if I said this already, but the entire way a PET scan works is that they shoot you with radioactive glucose, then look in a machine for the bright spots.  Hmm, why are the cancer cells highlighted, doc?  Is it because CANCER LIKES GLUCOSE?!@#@!$#@! :dunno: 

• Like 1

I hope this doesn’t come out the wrong way Skids but reading your latest update I feel that id rather die then go through that. 

You sir are a Rock ! My anxiety hit the roof just reading your post. Good luck !!!!

Sending you more good thoughts, Jerry. Love seeing the updates and your positive attitude. 

14 hours ago, jerryskids said:

Sounds like things are progressing. Hang in there as you will beat this. 

Let me know if you want to talk.  Oh, wait. :unsure: 

4 minutes ago, Patriotsfatboy1 said:

Sounds like things are progressing. Hang in there as you will beat this. 

Let me know if you want to talk.  Oh, wait. :unsure: 

Thanks.  It’s quite impressive, in an unimpressive way, how many phone calls I get directly on my phone from care providers for my at-home care (vs. my wife’s phone, which they all have and know is the primary contact).  I just let her answer them at this point.

i understand that the Mayo might have an automatic “please rate your discharge and how is it going at home?”  But i would expect better from the company which specializes in laryngectomy supplies.  :dunno: