Sign in to follow this  
Fumbleweed

**2020 Masters Thread**

The following was coped and pasted from early March when we thought the Masters was a month away...I will modify the predictions this afternoon as time permits. Many will remain close to the same including my top pick...

The opening tee shot for the Masters is now just 30 days away, so Masters 2020 will soon be upon us...for a few of us, it is just about our favorite sports weekend of the year. For most, probably not, but still a weekend of interest. Here are my initial top ten favorites for this year as has been done for several years now. List is certain to change as players round into form and/or fall out of it prior to April. Should be a great tournament!

Top Ten:

1. Jon Rahm- I think his time has arrived. If not at Augusta, then later in the year for sure with respect to winning his first major. Rahm should be able to chew up the par-fives at Augusta and with an underrated short game rounding into form, I don't see many who can challenge sans Rory. 

2. Rory McIlroy- Simply put, Rory is always in contention anymore every time he tees it up. His B-game has become good enough for a top-5 finish and it's hard to think he won't have at least that in the tournament he wants to win most. 

3. Xander Schauffele- Much like Rahm, I think Schauffele's time to win a major is coming soon. And while I don't think it will be here, I do think he will contend on Sunday just as he did last year. Gritty player whose grit fits with major championships. 

4. Hideki Matsuyama- Quietly playing very well of late. Tee to green, he's been awesome and on the greens, he's been hot and cold. A hot week on the greens, thus, could mean his first major title. Even an average week for him on the greens, though, likely gets him into contention. 

5. Justin Thomas- JT either contends or he doesn't as evidenced by his play over the past two years. Here's thinking he'll be a birdie machine at Augusta with a blow-up or two over 72 holes as all that's standing between him and a title. I think the blow-ups are likely, though, and it keeps him this low. 

6. Adam Scott- Scott, much like Tiger used to be, is the master of playing just enough prior to majors to be rested and ready to peak at the right time. His win at Riviera was impressive and could be a foreshadowing of him winning a long anticipated second major in 2020. 

7. Tony Finau- Hard to believe Finau is still stuck on one PGA Tour victory and an opposite-field win at that. Tee to green game screams success at Augusta, but work on the greens could be a detriment. Still, I like him to be top-ten by Sunday afternoon. 

8. Matthew Fitzpatrick- Pretty solid history at Augusta thus far in his short career and I think his overall trending up continues this time around. Don't know that Fitzpatrick will ever win a major, but I do think he's capable of being in the conversation.

9. Webb Simpson- With his putting now figured out somewhat, we're seeing what Simpson is capable of. He might have taken a second major already had the putting rules not changed. As is, he is an incredible ball striker and should be in contention in all four majors this year from my perspective. 

10. Henrik Stenson-  Call it a hunch. I liked what I saw of Stenson in December at the Hero World Challenge. As he hasn't played much since, he should be rested and ready. Will look to his play in March as a barometer. 

Players outside of my top ten who still have a very legitimate shot at winning: Patrick Cantlay, Patrick Reed, Tiger Woods, Tommy Fleetwood, Bryson DeChambeau, Gary Woodland,  Paul Casey, Marc Leishman, Bubba Watson

Highly ranked players who are off to slow start in 2020, but could catch lightning in a bottle for a week: Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Justin Rose, Louis Oosthuzien, Rickie Fowler, Jason Day

Young, exciting players with little Masters experience, but tons of game: Abraham Ancer, Tyrell Hatton, Sungjae Im, Cameron Smith, Jazz Janewattananond, Matt Wallace, Matthew Wolff, Joaquin Niemann, Cameron Champ, Byeong Hun-An

Solid, tested players...wouldn't be a shocker if they won: Matt Kuchar, Shane Lowry, Bernd Wiesberger, Francesco Molinari, Kevin Na, Lee Westwood, Danny Willett, Kevin Kisner, Billy Horschel, Sergio Garcia, Rafa Cabrera-Bello, Phil Mickelson, Jordan Spieth, Ian Poulter, Brandt Snedeker

Guys who have a punchers chance, but would make for a somewhat shocking winner: Chez Reavie, Shugo Imahira, Erik Van Rooyen, Victor Perez, Zach Johnson, Charl Schwartzel, Adam Hadwin, Jimmy Walker, Si Woo Kim, Justin Harding, Max Homa, Sung Kang, C.T Pan, J.T. Poston, Brendon Todd, Corey Conners, Lucas Glover, Charles Howell III, Jason Kokrak, Sebastian Munoz, Lanto Griffin, Tyler Duncan, Andrew Putnam, Andrew Landry, Nick Taylor 

Guys who have no real shot at winning from my perspective: Angel Cabrera, Fred Couples, Trevor Immelman, Bernhard Langer, Sandy Lyle, Larry Mize, Jose Maria Olazabal, Vijay Singh, Dylan Fritelli, Nate Lashley, Mike Weir, All amateurs

Not playing due to injury: No one (yet)

I think we should do a draft for the masters, secondary to Edex. $10 per entry, as many FFT people that want to draft. you pick the winner you win, winner take all.

I bet Hatton early in the year when he started playing good at 125-1. 

Not his setting but that number was absurd.  Last i saw it was 60 to 1.  May be lower now.

I dont expect him to win but nice having a fun ticket for the dance.  

Updates as of 10/30:

Into the Top Ten: Patrick Cantlay, Bryson DeChambeau, Bubba Watson

Out of Top Ten: Rory McIlroy, Henrik Stenson, Adam Scott 

Will expand on the changes next week... 

3 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

Updates as of 10/30:

Into the Top Ten: Patrick Cantlay, Bryson DeChambeau, Bubba Watson

Out of Top Ten: Rory McIlroy, Henrik Stenson, Adam Scott 

Will expand on the changes next week... 

This feels like you’re throwing a diversion for the EdEx draft. I’m on to you. 

Can we just get a pinned golf thread around here?

All this spam is clogging up my browser.

😎

All right. For anyone who cares, here's my top ten for next week's Masters:

1. Jon Rahm

2. Patrick Cantlay

3. Hideki Matsuyama

4. Webb Simpson

5. Xander Schauffele

6. Bryson DeChambeau

7. Bubba Watson

8. Justin Thomas

9. Tony Finau

10. Matthew Fitzpatrick 

12 minutes ago, Mookz said:

What a fall treat!  🤗

:wub:

🏌️‍♂️

I ain't getting anything done today.  Watching via the Masters App on my phone.  It is kinda peaceful with no fans and no announcers right now.  Just the sound of the club hitting the ball.

9 minutes ago, Drizzay said:

It is kinda peaceful with no fans and no announcers right now.  Just the sound of the club hitting the ball.

No fans will certainly equal more lost balls and worse lies out of the rough. 

1 minute ago, TimmySmith said:

No fans will certainly equal more lost balls and worse lies out of the rough. 

Rough thickness is rarely a big issue at the Masters.  It will be interesting if that changes in the fanless atmosphere, but I doubt it will.

Lol Reed just went from beach to beach.

Now Lowry goes beach to water.  :lol:

14 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

That evil woman

I don't follow golf, more just watch the majors.  what's this evil woman stuff?

4 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I don't follow golf, more just watch the majors.  what's this evil woman stuff?

Speculation his mind isn't right since engagement/wedding.

• Like 1

One of the local radio guys here has a high school friend that is now a doctor and belong to the same golf course as Spaeth.  He said he was on the range with about 20 assistants, who were all analyzing and writing things down about his swing.

Focker is in his own head. 

The masters thread at fbg is really rocking, packed with hilarity.

Too bad y'all are banned.

Spieth has had Cam McCormick since he was a kid.

Jordan's problems originated when he started chasing distance. He was never an accurate driver of the ball, but now he's literally all over the map. 

18 minutes ago, taco breath said:

The masters thread at fbg is really rocking, packed with hilarity.

Too bad y'all are banned.

Come back every 3 minutes and tell us what they said.  

I know they moved the tees way up 2day....but still, Mize shot 2under? :huh:

Damn. 

1 hour ago, TimmySmith said:

Come back every 3 minutes and tell us what they said.  

"Westwood would be a good pron name."

🤣

42 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I know they moved the tees way up 2day....but still, Mize shot 2under? :huh:

Damn. 

Blind squirrel...nut.  Plus, he could probably break par blindfolded there under a members set up.

Could you imagine - the leader (whomever it is) gets to the course Sunday, tests positive for the Rona, has to forfeit the final round. :o

6 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Could you imagine - the leader (whomever it is) gets to the course Sunday, tests positive for the Rona, has to forfeit the final round. :o

OMG...the serenity of watching golf at ANGC made me forget all about that.  Maybe the hallowed grounds have a anti-microbial effect.

So what are each golfers political leanings?

Asking for rp.

38 minutes ago, taco breath said:

So what are each golfers political leanings?

Asking for rp.

Guys who make a lot of $$ that have to fight for their jobs every week..... You already know the answer to that question.

Sandy lyle +6

Birdie willet stay even.

Couples 1 short of a turkey.

My prepick was hideki matsuama.

Honest injun.

On 11/6/2020 at 1:52 PM, Fumbleweed said:

All right. For anyone who cares, here's my top ten for next week's Masters:

1. Jon Rahm

2. Patrick Cantlay

3. Hideki Matsuyama

4. Webb Simpson

5. Xander Schauffele

6. Bryson DeChambeau

7. Bubba Watson

8. Justin Thomas

9. Tony Finau

10. Matthew Fitzpatrick 

Not just saying this because I drafted in in Edex but this is the first time I've opened your masters thread and I was extremely shocked to see Dustin Johnson not in the top 10. Especially over someone like Fitzpatrick. I know you need to take some leaps and not just chalk but I'd arguably have Dustin behind only Rahm and maybe Bryson if you think his length will prevail over what I think will be a lack on and around the greens.

More shocking that you had Dustin under the "off to a slow start" category... but I'm assuming this was simply due to cut and pasting from the original masters post. Since Dustin is coming in with like 5 top 10's in his last several starts.