Alias Detective

*Official 2020 Election Thread*

So the sitting Senate  vets and approves  the appointments, not the incoming one? Honcho, can you clear that up, the transition process seems to be something you know a lot about. Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

NBC

Presidential transitions have always operated under a time crunch. In less than three months, the outgoing administration and career government officials try to convey years of intelligence, know-how, planning and work to the incoming administration, which is simultaneously in the process of identifying and hiring thousands of staffers.

“The transition is fundamentally about trying to make sure whoever the president is, they’re ready to go on day one,” Max Stier, president and CEO of the Partnership for Public Service, which houses the Center for Presidential Transition, said.

The Trump administration's delay is already keeping Biden from receiving high-level intelligence briefings and complicating his team's plans to move swiftly on the coronavirus. It could also hamper Biden administration staffing and security clearance processes while making it harder for the new administration to take the reins of government agencies.

William Cohen, the secretary of defense under President Bill Clinton who helped George W. Bush's incoming Republican administration get settled, described the process in an interview on MSNBC on Wednesday.

“The first thing I did was call his designated secretary of defense, Don Rumsfeld. And I said, 'Don, here are the 10 things I think you really have to look at when you come into this office. I'll sit down and go over it.' I made a list and it came out to 59. And I sat down with him for two days going over the 59 items that they really had to be concerned about,” he said. “And that's traditional. That's what a democracy is supposed to be about, that you want your successor to be in a position to protect and defend the interests of the American people.”

The next challenge is staffing. Stier said there are 4,000 political appointee positions in government for which candidates need to be identified, vetted, interviewed and hired. FBI field investigations are required for some security clearances,while outside financial interests must be disclosed to the Office of Government Ethics. Approximately 1,200 of those appointees, Stier said, require Senate confirmation. The staffing process is protracted for every new administration, and political insiders fear a delayed transition will mean critical positions will sit vacant for even longer than necessary.

“It takes a while to get security clearances,” Andy Card, former chief of staff for President George W. Bush, said in an interview. “Literally everybody who works at the White House has to have a background check done.”

Jeh Johnson, who served as homeland security secretary under President Barack Obama, told NBC News that the usual agency review process also allows an incoming administration to identify experienced personnel who want to continue to serve in government, even if the incoming president is a member of a different political party.

“The most senior example of that was of course Robert Gates, the Secretary of Defense. But there were more junior examples. One Bush political appointee in the [Department of Defense] General Counsel’s office made a personal appeal to me to stay on — ‘Let me prove myself to you,’” Johnson said in an email. “He was with me my whole four years at the Pentagon. Another Bush holdover ultimately became my chief of staff at DHS. Far too often, merit matters more than politics.”

The final two components of transition planning involve translating policy proposals into legislation and planning for how the president-elect and vice president-elect spend their time.

For Obama, who took office in January 2009 amid the Great Recession, this included beginning to negotiate and craft a stimulus bill that would be introduced in Congress six days after his inauguration and signed into law by February 2009.

The president-elect also traditionally uses the transition time to begin building diplomatic relations, taking calls with foreign heads of state with help from career diplomatsand facilitated by the State Department.

But before any of this can happen, the head of the General Services Administration has to recognize the incoming Biden administration by signing a letter of "ascertainment" — a process that has been mostly noncontroversial since the passage of the Presidential Transition Act of 1963.

The paperwork triggers the release of millions of dollars in transition funding and allows an incoming administration access to current government officials. Two days after Trump’s election, for example, the Obama administration issued a detailed fact sheet about how they were proceeding with Trump’s transition.

Johnson recalled briefing then-President-elect Trump during the transition and participating in the Presidential Daily Brief, the daily intelligence briefing the Trump administration has so far refused to allow Biden to receive.

“I personally visited President-elect Trump at Trump Tower to tell him some things I thought he needed to hear from me,” Johnson said. “I know he appreciated it.”

What’s happening now

Biden’s team has forged ahead with the traditional hallmarks of a transition: launching a task force to tackle the coronavirus, an immediate issue his administration will face, while beginning to name key staff.However, top aides have said the longer the Trump administration waits to ascertain Biden’s victory, the more it will hurt their ability to hit the ground running on Jan. 20, the day Biden is inaugurated.

“Each passing day, lack of access to current classified operations or back channel conversations that are happening really put the American people's interest as it relates to their national security at risk,” Biden transition official Yohannes Abraham said.

The Biden team has announced agency review teams, but those teams cannot yet meet with current government employees. A source close to the transition told NBC News the Biden campaign is starting with people they can talk to, like outside experts, nongovernmental organizations and union leaders.

"Normally what you would probably do is go talk to the agency people first and then talk to the outside stakeholders," the source said. The Biden transition team is "just basically reversing the process and doing the other ones first."

The source said the delays are "manageable right now. If those go on for a longer period of time, it does become problematic."

Biden has a head start on other presidents-elect when it comes to the process of forging diplomatic relationships thanks to his eight years as Obama’s vice president.

Biden’s chief of staff, Ron Klain, said Thursday on MSNBC that Biden has been taking calls with foreign leaders including German Chancellor Angela Merkel and the Pope, who both already had his personal phone number.

However, concerns have been raised about security as Biden’s team is operating without the support traditionally provided by the State Department.

National security at stake

The slow-walking of Biden’s transition has raised red flags among past government officials. Many have pointed to the delayed transition after the 2000 election, which the 9/11 Commission said made it harder for the Bush administration to staff people fast enough.

“The new administration did not have its deputy cabinet officers in place until the spring of 2001, and the critical subcabinet officials were not confirmed until the summer—if then. In other words, the new administration—like others before it—did not have its team on the job until at least six months after it took office,”the 9/11 Commission Report noted, recommending an accelerated process for national security appointments.

Both Johnson and Card said foreign affairs and national security were key concerns.

“The world is very dangerous,” Card said, pointing particularly to an increasingly bellicose China.

“Our adversaries look for weak spots and moments to take advantage and exploit. If they perceive us as distracted or in disarray, that could be one of those moments,” Johnson told NBC News.

Johnson, along with other former Homeland Security chiefs, penned a letter arguing that "we do not have a single day to spare to begin the transition."

Biden’s foreign policy chops may lessen his learning curve when it comes to early diplomacy, but Card argued that it’s not just the former vice president who needs to get up to speed.

“His learning curve will not be very steep — that is an advantage. But it’s not just what the president knows, it’s what kinds of people advise the president. They are the oneswho should be climbing that learning curve with him,” Card said, adding that the president needs a team of smart advisers to challenge and guide him.

Card said the presidency is a hard job, without adding the kind of surprises or unintended consequences that a shortened transition could bring on.

"Almost no decision a president makes should be an easy decision,” he said.

Biden has been getting National security updates since he won the primary. Fail. 

Hopefully this transition includes all of Bidens team being spied on and accusations of collusion with a foreign enemy using manufactured evidence with the goal of removing some of Joe's hand picked cabinet positions. Thats how a smooth transition should work, right?

5 minutes ago, drobeski said:

Hopefully this transition includes all of Bidens team being spied on and accusations of collusion with a foreign enemy using manufactured evidence with the goal of removing some of Joe's hand picked cabinet positions. Thats how a smooth transition should work, right?

Oh no, today we are all about UNITY.....so all of THAT stuff was only because Orange Man Bad

“I never talked to my son about his business dealings”. A proven lie. Why did Biden lie about that? 

14 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Biden has been getting National security updates since he won the primary. Fail. 

This is your only takeaway out of that whole article about Trump being a petulant sore loser who refuses to do what presidents before him have done, that being helping with a smooth transition to the next administration? 

<================ reality         ================================================================>you

• Like 1

Just now, Rusty Syringes said:

This is your only takeaway out of that whole article about Trump being a petulant sore loser who refuses to do what presidents before him have done, that being helping with a smooth transition to the next administration? 

<================ reality         ================================================================>you

What are you talking about? Bush v Gore. Settled in the courts. Tell me again what I should take away from that article? The article talks about national security briefings. He’s getting them. Why shouldn’t I take that away. Oh wait, I had to add it, not take it away. You’re right 

12 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

We really focked up when we created the 19th amendment 

I've seen you post this a few times and I want to know your reasoning behind why women shouldn't vote. I am not being a beyotch, I really want to know your line of thinking. 

1 hour ago, listen2me 23 said:

Hell hasnt Biden talked with foreign leaders and organizations in the last week?  

What is being held up? What am I missing?

Uhm...yeah.  Y'know, the same thing they went after General Flynn for - violating the Logan Act.  But somehow NOW it's okay to do it.

6 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

I've seen you post this a few times and I want to know your reasoning behind why women shouldn't vote. I am not being a beyotch, I really want to know your line of thinking. 

I think he's saying too many women vote with emotion instead of logic which may be a reason why we are where we are at now.  That's my take anyways.  Not saying he's right or wrong.  :)

12 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

What are you talking about? Bush v Gore. Settled in the courts. Tell me again what I should take away from that article? The article talks about national security briefings. He’s getting them. Why shouldn’t I take that away. Oh wait, I had to add it, not take it away. You’re right 

Trump is being a petulant ass and a continuing embarrassment to this country. He lost the election fair and square and should show an ounce of class by helping, or at least not working to hinder, the Biden team in making the transition.

Bush and Gore were a totally different thing because it came down to one state, hanging chads and just a big mess overall, one that needed the judicial system to step in. No one was claiming fraud or improprieties. It was about defective ballots and make sure each vote in one state got counted. We needed the courts on that one.

Trump is just spit balling with annoying, frivolous lawsuits in hopes that something sticks, which it won't because there was no voter fraud. He set the stage even before the election by crying fraud and that the election was rigged, and he got whipped in what amounts to an electoral landslide. 

It's crazy that people just take the word of this narcissistic maniac without a shred of evidence. I bet Tucker Carlson wished he had actually checked out whether a dead World War II veteran in Georgia had cast a vote, and it's hilarious how the Georgia election officials went after that and determined it was the living widow.

This kind of insanity needs to stop, or we're going to wind up being "The Handmaid's Tale."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rusty Syringes said:

Trump is being a petulant ass and a continuing embarrassment to this country. He lost the election fair and square and should show an ounce of class by helping, or at least not working to hinder, the Biden team in making the transition.

Bush and Gore were a totally different thing because it came down to one state, hanging chads and just a big mess overall, one that needed the judicial system to step in. No one was claiming fraud or improprieties. It was about defective ballots and make sure each vote in one state got counted. We needed the courts on that one.

Trump is just spit balling with annoying, frivolous lawsuits in hopes that something sticks, which it won't because there was no voter fraud. He set the stage even before the election by crying fraud and that the election was rigged, and he got whipped in what amounts to an electoral landslide. 

It's crazy that people just take the word of this narcissistic maniac without a shred of evidence. I bet Tucker Carlson wished he had actually checked out whether a dead World War II veteran in Georgia had cast a vote, and it's hilarious how the Georgia election officials went after that and determined it was the living widow.

This kind of insanity needs to stop, or we're going to wind up being "The Handmaid's Tale."

AFAIK, Trump is well within his legal rights to do what he's doing.  Gore didn't concede until December 14th.  Hillary wouldn't even come out and address her own crowd when she lost - the very definition of "petulant".  You're trying so hard and failing I almost feel sorry for you, douche.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

I think he's saying too many women vote with emotion instead of logic which may be a reason why we are where we are at now.  That's my take anyways.  Not saying he's right or wrong.  :)

I know I am just one, but I don't vote based on emotions. I hate Trump. But I voted for him. 🤷‍♀️   I am also not voting for someone because of their genitalia; I can't vote for someone just because they are a woman; or a certain race (in the case of Obama). 

I also vote across different parties; I don't vote all red or blue usually it's a mix. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

US politics have been going this way for awhile now.  Did you stop paying attention when you stopped working for the newspaper?

6 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Trump and his attorneys have evidence the election was fixed.  

Sure they do. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

AFAIK, Trump is well within his legal rights to do what he's doing.  Gore didn't concede until December 14th.  Hillary wouldn't even come out and address her own crowd when she lost - the very definition of "petulant".  You're trying so hard and failing I almost feel sorry for you, douche.

Hillary called for a recount three weeks after the election , claiming fraud. It’s like they weren’t around back then. And then there was the push to get electoral college voters to go against the voters in their states. I guess that’s not petulant. I don’t know why I bother giving out these free history lessons. I told Rusty to ask for a refund from his college. Give me my cut. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

Translation...hurry up and concede so we can sweep fraud under the rug and tell the American people they're not really seeing what they're seeing

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Translation...hurry up and concede so we can sweep fraud under the rug and tell the American people they're not really seeing what they're seeing

They think that 72 million people who think they had their votes undone should just accept it before it’s looked into. I’ll ask again, what happens to this country if the smoking gun is provided after Biden is sworn in ? Do these people really want that for our country? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Sane adult males are a seeing a 300-pound toddler have a spasm.

2 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

US politics have been going this way for awhile now.  Did you stop paying attention when you stopped working for the newspaper?

Actually I pay more attention. 

After decades of 60-hour weeks of coordinating coverage and editing crapass local new content, it was all I could do to bring myself to keep up with current events. 

It's a shame people devour affirmation over information, thus rendering them ignorant and frequently wrong - but never uncertain. 

Biden has struck a conciliatory tone, while Clownzo there in the White House continues with his Twitter tantrums and delusions. 

I don't particularly like Biden, but Trump is the first Republican I've voted against, and my first presidential vote went to Reagan.

Trump is a self-centered sociopath who has further divided this country, embarrassed us on the world stage and allowed the worst pandemic in a century to ravage this country, with perhaps the worst yet to come as he continues to shrink from what little leadership qualities he had in the first place and seek ways to exact revenge on anyone he perceives as against him. 

But soon, he will be gone, and karma will come calling in the form of legal woes, the likes of which he hasn't seen.

He'll have an orange prison jumpsuit to go along with his fake tan soon enough.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

There is no fraud.

:first:

2 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

After decades of 60-hour weeks of coordinating coverage and editing crapass local new content, it was all I could do to bring myself to keep up with current events. 

It's a shame people devour affirmation over information, thus rendering them ignorant and frequently wrong - but never uncertain. 

Biden has struck a conciliatory tone, while Clownzo there in the White House continues with his Twitter tantrums and delusions. 

I don't particularly like Biden, but Trump is the first Republican I've voted against, and my first presidential vote went to Reagan.

Trump is a self-centered sociopath who has further divided this country, embarrassed us on the world stage and allowed the worst pandemic in a century to ravage this country, with perhaps the worst yet to come as he continues to shrink from what little leadership qualities he had in the first place and seek ways to exact revenge on anyone he perceives as against him. 

But soon, he will be gone, and karma will come calling in the form of legal woes, the likes of which he hasn't seen.

Trump is many things.  Of what you listed, which things cause him to forfeit his right to explore legal avenues to investigate fraud?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

And Trump is the decisive one. This from the guy who calls people Nazis and fascists. Good, tax paying, law abiding Americans who dared to vote opposite of him. A word of advice : Tone down the rhetoric IRL. You might not like the reply if you call good people those things. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

He lost the election fair and square 

That does it.  Its offical.  Election called.  Rusty says everything was fair.  Nothing to see.  

Thanks for the insight.

10 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

Simmer down Rachel 

26 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Hillary called for a recount three weeks after the election , claiming fraud. It’s like they weren’t around back then. And then there was the push to get electoral college voters to go against the voters in their states. I guess that’s not petulant. I don’t know why I bother giving out these free history lessons. I told Rusty to ask for a refund from his college. Give me my cut. 

The picking and choosing is hilariously pathetic.  Russia.  Gore.  Hillary.  All makes sense.  But hey Trump is holding up the transition!

The TDS may go on for years even if he is out of office.  They spin themselves dizzy.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rusty Syringes said:

I don't like Trump either, but I disagree with many of your characterizations.  My point is, both sides have been slinging sh!t at each other for quite some time.  In  doing so, they've set aside the truth in favor of sensationalism.  The last 4 years has been nothing but the MSM and the dems trying to play gotcha with Trump.  They've never been even-handed or particularly professional in their dealings with him.  Why would you expect him to be any different now?

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

And Trump is the decisive one. This from the guy who calls people Nazis and fascists. Good, tax paying, law abiding Americans who dared to vote opposite of him. A word of advice : Tone down the rhetoric IRL. You might not like the reply if you call good people those things. 

🤣

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Must be true. Trump’s lawyer said so.

:lol: 

Same attorney that cleared General Flynn.

I barely got past OANN but came to dead stop at "Trump attorney says ... "

What else is he going to say?

😅

Uh...a she.  Good thing your paying attention, sexist.

• Haha 1

I barely got past OANN but came to dead stop at "Trump attorney says ... "

What else is he going to say?

😅

You dont think Biden doing worse than Hillary in heavy dem counties in states like Illinois and NY while doing better than Hillary in heavy Dem counties in important swing states like PA and Georgia are anything?

Or are you waiting for CNN to discuss this?  Havent looked into it? Oh gotcha.  Of course you havent.  

13 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So true.  The real divisive ones are the cucks who don't have the nuts to admit they have always been bleeding heart, America haters.  We have a few great examples here.  

6 minutes ago, vuduchile said:

I don't like Trump either, but I disagree with many of your characterizations.  My point is, both sides have been slinging sh!t at each other for quite some time.  In  doing so, they've set aside the truth in favor of sensationalism.  The last 4 years has been nothing but the MSM and the dems trying to play gotcha with Trump.  They've never been even-handed or particularly professional in their dealings with him.  Why would you expect him to be any different now?

Sorry, calling someone a snowflake is a bit different than calling people white supremacists and Nazis. I don’t accept the both sides argument.