Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Updated: Deshaun Watson Drama

4 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Seems like the Seahawks are the most likely trade partner...

well, watson has a similar skillset to Russell Wilson.   Seattle wouldnt need to make many changes in the offense.  

hes younger and a bit more mobile, so I think it would take some pressure off the O line which hasnt exactly been great in Seattle. 

of course the biggest question in taking on a player like him would be character.  you have no question about his skill or ability to get it done on the field.

I suppose his trade-ability would depend largely on the price to acquire him. 

17 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Seems like the Seahawks are the most likely trade partner...

Good.  As long as he doesn't end up in Tampa, I don't care where he goes.

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Good.  As long as he doesn't end up in Tampa, I don't care where he goes.

I'd like to see Tampa make a run at Colin Kaepernick.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:49 AM, Utilit99 said:

Got him in a dynasty. I actually hope he ends up in Tampa. :thumbsup: 

Nope

Hearing today the browns are also heavily involved. This might be a fantasy football type trade. But. 

Would Baker Mayfield, Javaris Landry and a 1st for Watson make sense? Get the deal done?

31 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Hearing today the browns are also heavily involved. This might be a fantasy football type trade. But. 

Would Baker Mayfield, Javaris Landry and a 1st for Watson make sense? Get the deal done?

Not even close. add two more firsts and you'd be getting warmer.

7 minutes ago, jrokh said:

Not even close. add two more firsts and you'd be getting warmer.

Wow, he's really worth that much? Man, I really hope Seattle stays out of the bidding.

7 minutes ago, Kopy said:

Wow, he's really worth that much? Man, I really hope Seattle stays out of the bidding.

Of course. Multiple teams bidding on a near elite level QB talent 26 years old, under contract for a while. The only thing keeping the price where it is are the legal troubles. Stafford and Wilson are both well over 30. It is rare if ever that a QB that young and good would ever be made available.

It would be better for football if he went to the NFC. NFC QB’s aren’t so hot even with TB playing. 

1 hour ago, Mike FF Today said:

Houston likely trying to keep Watson out of the AFC South...

just common sense.  why send him somewhere where he can hurt you twice per year?

send him to the other conference where you wont see him often.

well if Mayfields comments tell us anything its that he believes Watson is going there.

it could be that he just believes his days are numbers either way.

but it was an interesting development

Let’s say Mayfield stays on the Browns, I can’t see him being happy about playing on a team that seems to be trying so hard to replace him.  

4 minutes ago, weepaws said:

Let’s say Mayfield stays on the Browns, I can’t see him being happy about playing on a team that seems to be trying so hard to replace him.  

for this reason I think his days are numbered.   its tough to go back once you try to replace someone in this way.

but apparently thats what happened in miami.    they went as far as firing the coach to mend the fence.    cuz they tried hard to get Watson at one point too.

so it can be done, but someone is likely leaving.  either him or the coach.  (possibly the GM)

On 3/14/2022 at 10:53 AM, Kopy said:

He is, I'm not sure why look at Davis Mills (a 3rd round rookie), & Tyrod Taylor who just won 4 games with the same team that Watson won 4 games with the prior year.  That said, I don't think that's why Mayfield and Landry would reduce the price.  Mayfield isn't a good starter.  His trade value at best, is a 3rd round pick.  Landry doesn't even want to play with Mayfield, but even still, his trade value probably isn't much higher than a 4th or 5th round pick.

Being that no team was willing to trade for Landry on a 1 yr/$15M deal, leading to the Browns to release him, I'd have a hard time believing he had any real trade value.

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

He is, I'm not sure why look at Davis Mills (a 3rd round rookie), & Tyrod Taylor who just won 4 games with the same team that Watson won 4 games with the prior year.  That said, I don't think that's why Mayfield and Landry would reduce the price.  Mayfield isn't a good starter.  His trade value at best, is a 3rd round pick.  Landry doesn't even want to play with Mayfield, but even still, his trade value probably isn't much higher than a 4th or 5th round pick.

Being that no team was willing to trade for Landry on a 1 yr/$15M deal, leading to the Browns to release him, I'd have a hard time believing he had any real trade value.

in a year where the cap may be tight, its tough to absorb a contract like that one.

but only one year left makes me think someone should have went for Landry.     its a bit of an overpay in terms of cash, but if you trade a 5th or 6th for him and draft a WR in the draft, the new kid can learn by watching him and you have a natural progression that should happen with Landry being phased out and the kid being phased in.

this way you dont have to throw the kid to the wolves in year 1.

either way, this makes me think there may be something else to the story.   

5 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

in a year where the cap may be tight, its tough to absorb a contract like that one.

but only one year left makes me think someone should have went for Landry.     its a bit of an overpay in terms of cash, but if you trade a 5th or 6th for him and draft a WR in the draft, the new kid can learn by watching him and you have a natural progression that should happen with Landry being phased out and the kid being phased in.

this way you dont have to throw the kid to the wolves in year 1.

either way, this makes me think there may be something else to the story.   

With guys like Mike Williams getting $20M and Kirk getting $21M... a guy like Landry getting $15M should be a bargain.

4 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

With guys like Mike Williams getting $20M and Kirk getting $21M... a guy like Landry getting $15M should be a bargain.

Yeah. $11M would be much better but you may be right.

9 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I think all the contracts listed here make no sense.  But Landry is the most reasonable of the ones listed here.

granted... the bar is set pretty low by those other contracts.

23 hours ago, weepaws said:

Now the rebuilding begins.  

Nice job Browns.  

You gotta admit, it was kinda cute there for a year or two when the Browns and their fans thought they might be good though.

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

You gotta admit, it was kinda cute there for a year or two when the Browns and their fans thought they might be good though.

I dont know that cute is the word I'd use.   would amusing be a better descriptor?

1 hour ago, AxeElf said:

What’s been cute as been watching KC fans think they had a super bowl winning team the last two seasons, and going forward. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Mike FF Today said:

Going to be rough, trying to convince Baker to come back...

Browns' Baker Mayfield requests trade; Cleveland has no plans to trade QB (nfl.com)

too late.  Baker has now requested a trade.  he wants out of Cleveland.   Cant say I blame him.

He would be a fool to stay, good job Mayfield. 

25 minutes ago, weepaws said:

He would be a fool to stay, good job Mayfield. 

agreed. no point staying in a town where you are not wanted.

browns should have done a better job of keeping the inquiry into Watson quiet or they should have made sure they got their man. 

neither was done, and now you have an angry QB who no longer wants to be there.   Not the fault of the QB to be sure.  but a bad situation nonetheless

Cleveland Browns are so stupid.  They hire and fire their head coach and GM almost every year or every other year.  Why are they so delusional to think they can get a top 5 QB talent who is young to choose to play for them?  They're the Cleveland Browns based in the city of Cleveland wearing orange and brown uniforms with no logo.  

16 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

Cleveland Browns are so stupid.  They hire and fire their head coach and GM almost every year or every other year.  Why are they so delusional to think they can get a top 5 QB talent who is young to choose to play for them?  They're the Cleveland Browns based in the city of Cleveland wearing orange and brown uniforms with no logo.  

that is one of the signs of a bad organization.   

lots of turnover at the top

7 minutes ago, Ray_T said:

that is one of the signs of a bad organization.   

lots of turnover at the top

I just heard on NFL Network that Baker Mayfield has had 4 different head coaches and 4 different offensive coordinators.  He was drafted in 2018 so that's significant change each and every year.

16 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I just heard on NFL Network that Baker Mayfield has had 4 different head coaches and 4 different offensive coordinators.  He was drafted in 2018 so that's significant change each and every year.

yeah, not a great situation.  thats for sure

Mayfield told the Browns to go to Hell. The Browns said no, you’re staying in Hell.