Sign in to follow this  
JustinCharge

RUMOR: Cleveland Indians might leave move to another city

The Indians have a LOT of things lining up that could preclude a move of the franchise to another city.

1.  The TV deal stinks.  The team collects just $47 million per year.
2.  Attendance is absolutely dismal.  Even when they were strong contenders in the late 2010s, they failed to draw big crowds.
3.  The TV deal expires in 2022 AND the stadium lease expires in 2023.
4.  Payroll is absolutely gutted.
5.  The franchise have announced some mysterious "name change" but that it won't happen for 2021.  Instead, its supposed to come next year or....something...which lines up with the TV deal and stadium lease expiring. 
6.  Cities are working on plans to build new baseball parks but have no current tenant such as Portland, Nashville and Montreal.

So the chatter about the Indians suddenly moving to another city is starting to pick up.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/indians/could-the-cleveland-indians-move-or-be-put-up-for-sale/95-55a905aa-fa37-4c9d-a28d-9b73ebd55eeb

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/04/28/its-mlb-expansion-time-again-with-another-portland-ballpark-plan-unveiled/

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2020/12/08/16866/developers-unveils-renderings-of-new-montreal-baseball-site-fails-to-include-baseball-stadium/

18 minutes ago, JustinCharge said:

The Indians have a LOT of things lining up that could preclude a move of the franchise to another city.

2.  Attendance is absolutely dismal.  Even when they were strong contenders in the late 2010s, they failed to draw big crowds.
5.  The franchise have announced some mysterious "name change" but that it won't happen for 2021.  Instead, its supposed to come next year or....something...which lines up with the TV deal and stadium lease expiring. 
6.  Cities are working on plans to build new baseball parks but have no current tenant such as Portland, Nashville and Montreal.

So the chatter about the Indians suddenly moving to another city is starting to pick up.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/mlb/indians/could-the-cleveland-indians-move-or-be-put-up-for-sale/95-55a905aa-fa37-4c9d-a28d-9b73ebd55eeb

https://ballparkdigest.com/2021/04/28/its-mlb-expansion-time-again-with-another-portland-ballpark-plan-unveiled/

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2020/12/08/16866/developers-unveils-renderings-of-new-montreal-baseball-site-fails-to-include-baseball-stadium/

Who the Fock would go to Portland? For anything? 

8 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Communist. 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Me.

I like the idea of going to the store and taking everything I want for free, burning anything I feel like, peeing anywhere / anytime I want, and giving the mayor an atomic wedgie every time I see him.

• Haha 1

If they get Wild Thing some new glasses their problems would go away.  :headbanger:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Lots of people that don’t let their political leanings color EVERYTHING they see and do in life :dunno:

3 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Lots of people that don’t let their political leanings color EVERYTHING they see and do in life :dunno:

I don’t think you need to be an R to find chitting on the street unacceptable but I’m likely wrong as the Democrats seem to accept it there.  

I've never been to Portland but I hear nice things.

4 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

Totally.  Portland hasn't exactly done much to promote itself as a desirable city because it's caught up in it's own liberal agenda. Other cities may be crappier but they keep politics out of at least some things. Nashville and Charlotte, are 2 cities that I would consider if I were moving a baseball team. And I guess Vegas, maybe.

Cleveland lost their NHL team when I was a kid and never got one back (although Columbus did get one). They lost their NFL team for a time. I'd hate to see them lose their baseball team.

Love driving down to Cleveland to catch a Tigers game there.  Great stadium...walking distance to bars and hotels.  It's a very nice area down there.  Would be a shame to see them leave.

10 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

Love driving down to Cleveland to catch a Tigers game there.  Great stadium...walking distance to bars and hotels.  It's a very nice area down there.  Would be a shame to see them leave.

Not in the mid 90’s. 

6 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

This is a statement you make when the City Council or mayor have some political leanings you don't agree with, not when there's riots and trash accumulation from homeless that will take you 2 years to clean up. 

6 hours ago, IGotWorms said:

We literally cannot get away from it thanks to the democrats.  If I am in a store and decide to use the restroom, it is now a POLITICAL DECISION.  Thanks, democrats.

Those silly jokers in Portland are making today another happy and fun day there.

Gotta love Portland 🍿

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Those silly jokers in Portland are making today another happy and fun day there.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/video-appears-to-show-armed-anarchists-in-portland-holding-up-man-at-gunpoint-assaulting-him-when-he-tries-to-defend-himself

Gotta love Portland 🍿

Oh you and your politics clouding everything. Get a life! 

The Portland ANTIFAs. Their logo can be the red "A" anarchist symbol and the unis completely black.  👍

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

Oh you and your politics clouding everything. Get a life! 

I edited my post since the video is so much better than just the link to the story. It was a nice touch seeing them flash Ted Wheeler's home address there at the end since they already chased him out of his apartment once.

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I edited my post since the video is so much better than just the link to the story. It was a nice touch seeing them flash Ted Wheeler's home address there at the end since they already chased him out of his apartment once.

I'd like to hear the original version of the audio  I'm sure that somewhere in the middle you'll hear a woman's voice followed by "MOM!!!!! I'M TRYING TO MAKE MY SCARY ANTIFA VIDEO!!! JUST LEAVE MY COCOA AT THE TOP OF THE BASEMENT STAIRS!!!"

12 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Gotta love Portland 🍿

You’ve never been to Portland and have lived in China for 20 focking years. How do you think you know anything about this?? :wacko:

I mean it’d be like me coming on here and declaring that Chengdu is a hellhole. How would I ever have any way of knowing? :doh:

Just now, IGotWorms said:

I mean it’d be like me coming on here and declaring that Chengdu is a hellhole. How would I ever have any way of knowing? :doh:

Cuck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

You’ve never been to Portland and have lived in China for 20 focking years. How do you think you know anything about this?? :wacko:

Admittedly, I have rather odd entertainment habits. White left wing utopias like Portland and Minneapolis fascinate me.

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Cuck!

Your obsession with cuckoldry is really getting creepy

• Like 1

Worms is right.  I’ve never been to Somalia. It could be paradise for all I know. Especially Mogadishu.  And I’m sure Bangladesh is awesome as well! 

Your obsession with cuckoldry is really getting creepy

I left out beta. Beta- Cuck! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

I left out beta. Beta- Cuck! 

It’s all you ever talk about. Get help :( 

It’s all you ever talk about. Get help :( 

As far as I know, and I’m extremely  confident saying this, I have not been cuckolded. You on the other hand, can make no such claim. How are your dating apps working out? Are you the creepy old guy? 

10 hours ago, JustinCharge said:

Not surprising.

34 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Well you could watch Chengdu videos on Youtube and read various news about Chengdu. That's how I keep up with Portland and Minneapolis. 

I didn't call Portland a hellhole, I linked to a funny video where Paul Watson called it a sh*thole. When a community demonizes cops and says "Give us Barabbus," I kinda get a chuckle out of watching Barabbus''various foibles. The collision of stupid with stupid with a dozen types of stupid in leftist paradise is mroe that fun. I think it's hilarious. Just so long as they keep to themselves and don't, you know, move to a decent part of America.

I loved Will Kirby and Mike Malin in their Chilltown alliance in Big Brother 2, that aired the summer before I came to China. Then, a few years later, just before I got married, I was home visitng my mom again and wouldn't you know that they were back on TV again in Season Seven Big Brother All Stars! I got to root for them both a second time. Chilltown won both seasons. That was pretty awesome.

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Well you could watch Chengdu videos on Youtube and read various news about Chengdu. That's how I keep up with Portland and Minneapolis. 

I didn't call Portland a hellhole, I linked to a funny video where Paul Watson called it a sh*thole. When a community demonizes cops and says "Give us Barabbus," I kinda get a chuckle out of watching Barabbus''various foibles. The collision of stupid with stupid with a dozen types of stupid in leftist paradise is mroe that fun. I think it's hilarious. Just so long as they keep to themselves and don't, you know, move to a decent part of America.

I loved Will Kirby and Mike Malin in their Chilltown alliance in Big Brother 2, that aired the summer before I came to China. Then, a few years later, just before I got married, I was home visitng my mom again and wouldn't you know that they were back on TV again in Season Seven Big Brother All Stars! I got to root for them both a second time. Chilltown won both seasons. That was pretty awesome.

Oh you saw it on YouTube. Must be true then :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, IGotWorms said:

Seriously worms, the troubles in Portland are well documented.

Just now, TimmySmith said:

Seriously worms, the troubles in Portland are well documented.

And overblown. I’ve been there several times in the past few years and it’s fine. They do have an issue with homelessness just like every city in the west. It’s an issue and solutions should be found, but demonizing isn’t going to accomplish anything.

The visuals are nice. I particularly liked the time when they tried to burn down Ted Wheeler's apartment buildng but, I gotta admit, this threat video I found today is pretty damn good too. It's fun knowing they have his new address.

I really hope Ted gives them a slightly stern lecture this time. :nono: They really need to be made to feel bad for what they do.

20 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

And overblown. I’ve been there several times in the past few years and it’s fine. They do have an issue with homelessness just like every city in the west. It’s an issue and solutions should be found, but demonizing isn’t going to accomplish anything.

Everything, everywhere is overblown.  But the stigma is there, and if you are the owner of the Indians and you are suffering the bad news of taking a longstanding franchise out of a city, you have to be careful where you land.  I think we can agree, though, regardless of what Portland is from a social standpoint, it just couldn't support an MLB franchise. It's a mid major.  

Until the riots last year, I was always told Portland was a great city to visit.  Awesome place to go for craft beer drinkers to tour.

16 minutes ago, fandandy said:

These peaceful protesters deserve an invitation to a councelling session. I hope social workers were present to let them know that they have that option. :(

I've been to Portland a few times, mostly suburbs.  Seems nice enough and I probably wouldn't care much if I lived in the area.  And in general I tune out the woke stuff going on here (not as bad, but city of Phoenix is blue with a dem mayor and council).  Traffic is remarkably bad in Portland going north (towards the city, to the airport) from the south suburbs, that would suck.

That being said, it wouldn't be on my list of places to move now.  In my Maslow's hierarchy of needs for a government, it needs to provide basic security for its people before it can move up the pyramid to luxuries like wokeness.  Letting Antifa take over sections of the city is not good.  That would never fly here because our repub governor (Doug Ducey) would send in the Guard and end it right quick.  In fact watching Ducey battle with the dem mayors from Phx, Tucson, etc. is fun theater.  Earlier in the year Phoenix shut down city parks for Covid; Ducey basically called them idiots and made all state parks free in response.  Anyway, I feel safe here, so the wokesters can virtue signal to their hearts' content.  :cheers: