tubby_mcgee

Restaurants all over the US....worker shortage. Thanks, liberals!

Piles of sh!t.   Hey! Lets give people money to not work.  Great idea, liberals. 

News

Staff shortage impacting seasonal work at local businesses

Raising pay is one of many things being considered by local businesses across the region. With many locally owned restaurant operating on slim margins, this would become a balancing act.
Written By: Nick Broadway | 10:41 pm, May 24, 2021

FARGO — The worker shortage seems to be getting worse in the Fargo area. More fast food places are limiting their service, and seasonal workers are getting harder to find.

A Qdoba location in Moorhead is only accepting online orders. A sign was posted to their front door on Monday, May 24, saying this is because they do not have enough staff. The nationwide staff shortage is not only impacting big chains, it is making local restaurant owners reconsider how they operate.

General Manager Drew Balstad is used to dealing with minor furniture repairs before opening the Rhombus Guys rooftop every summer season.

"They're getting beaten by the sun and the elements and stuff all the time," he described, saying they get sanded and fixed up when winter ends. This year, the tables are still fine, but he is still in need of seasonal staff.

"I would say that in a typical summer, we're probably about 75 to 80 employees," Balstad recalled. "Right now we're at about 45."

He likes to open the rooftop by April, never later than May 1. It is still not open as of May 24.

Balstad is only getting about a quarter of the job applicants he normally sees. He believes unemployment benefits are just one of many factors, saying this is not the one major cause. The pandemic tested the stability of the restaurant industry, having shut down businesses like this for weeks, sometimes months.

He and many other business owners are also reconsidering pay.

"These are natural decisions that restaurants are going to have to be making just because of all of these external factors that have changed over the last 15 months," Balstad said.

Though raising pay for a place like Rhombus Guys would be a balancing act. He said locally-owned restaurants run on slim margins, so a higher pay would mean needing more efficient workers, or raising prices.

"We're a locally owned business, we're a small business," Balstad explained. "We don't have the power of like a Walmart or something like that that has a lot of excess capital to be able to just at the flip of a switch raise everybody's wages."

Balstad said he gets several calls every day from customers asking if the rooftop is open. He is still not sure when he can open it up for customers.

And all those fockers live next to me, spending their money on drugs, stupid bitches and loud assed crappy little cars 🤬

This is one of the lowest points in the history of the US. A bunch of lowlife lazy pieces of shlt breastfeeding off of a bunch of destructive phag liberal politicians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Biden is playing chess while we play checkers. 

If there are still a ton of openings out there then there is no reason to create new jobs!

Foolproof 

Have they tried raising the salary or offering benefits? 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, MDC said:

How would you expect a small businesses that was forced to be closed over the last year to afford such compensation? 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

What a novel idea!  What if every business raised their wage to at least, I dunno, $15?  That should do it. I should recommend this to someone.  I bet it takes off.

8 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

What a novel idea!  What if every business raised their wage to at least, I dunno, $15?  That should do it. I should recommend this to someone.  I bet it takes off.

I bet fewer of them would have trouble finding labor if they did. :dunno: 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, MDC said:

I bet fewer of them would have trouble finding labor if they did. :dunno: 

Trump had many people to work not that long ago.  Maybe they can consult with him?

It's funny, I saw a congressman talking about this issue over a month ago and he said these people were not lazy they were logical and using common sense. Why would they go to work when their children are still required to stay at home since schools are distance learning. How could these low wage people find child care and would they even be able to afford it? It's only logical and common sense that these people stay home with their family as it's more affordable than going to work. I really wish this sort of sympathy was shown to mothers on welfare. It is mind boggling how we have so much concern by these workers staying home (and let's not even mention all those who are taking out fraudulent PPP loans) and opioid users (not drug abusers), we cry for them, but we jailed and condemned crack users. 

I'm glad to read that at least you all are not hypocrites. 

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Trump had many people to work not that long ago.  Maybe they can consult with him?

The unemployment rate hasn’t changed much since November and it’s likely to go down now that things are returning to normal. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, peenie said:

It's only logical and common sense that these people stay home with their family as it's more affordable than going to work.

You think this is by accident?  This is absolutely the LAST thing we want.  Do you see how societal conditions are manipulated to make it appear that the only solutions are the radical policies that the Dems wanna push through?  

#childcareisinfrastructure

#$15minimumwage

The extra unemployment is definitely a factor.

But also likely that many restaurant workers found other jobs (or went back to school in order to do so) after realizing their insecurity with the pandemic.    So less supply = more demand.

Not to mention the ones that remained were probably tortured by Karens on both sides of the aisle complaining about their masks falling below their noses or the fact that customers had to wear masks.

It's not like there weren't complaints about restaurant workers being underpaid even prior to the pandemic...

1 hour ago, MDC said:

7 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

You think this is by accident?  This is absolutely the LAST thing we want.  Do you see how societal conditions are manipulated to make it appear that the only solutions are the radical policies that the Dems wanna push through?  

#childcareisinfrastructure

#$15minimumwage

Nothing bad comes from raising minimum wage?

44 minutes ago, MDC said:

The unemployment rate hasn’t changed much since November and it’s likely to go down now that things are returning to normal. 

Its May.  Thr unemployment rate should br much much lower than it was in November.

Im talking about pre covid when things were normal.  Trump had many people to work with the same crop of jobs there is now.  Maybe they should consult him.  

13 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

But also likely that many restaurant workers found other jobs (or went back to school in order to do so) after realizing their insecurity with the pandemic.    So less supply = more demand.

Not to mention the ones that remained were probably tortured by Karens on both sides of the aisle complaining about their masks falling below their noses or the fact that customers had to wear masks.

It's not like there weren't complaints about restaurant workers being underpaid even prior to the pandemic...

Not only resturaunts I see more help wanted signs and ads for help wanted than I ever have with various entry level jobs.  

No one wants to work now.  All I heard were people are struggling! Yet you are saying these people now are paying for schooling or just found better jobs?  Sounds like people struggling was wilfly overblown and we handed out too much free money.  

26 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Its May.  Thr unemployment rate should br much much lower than it was in November.

Im talking about pre covid when things were normal.  Trump had many people to work with the same crop of jobs there is now.  Maybe they should consult him.  

Trump could give them advice on offshoring, hiring foreign visa workers and stiffing his contractors. :thumbsup: 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Not only resturaunts I see more help wanted signs and ads for help wanted than I ever have with various entry level jobs.  

No one wants to work now.  All I heard were people are struggling! Yet you are saying these people now are paying for schooling or just found better jobs?  Sounds like people struggling was wilfly overblown and we handed out too much free money.  

They could have went back to school earlier on when they didn't really have a choice of having a job.   Or gotten another job more recently when other industries started hiring more.

What other "entry level jobs" are you referring to?   Like grocery stores and clothing stores and stuff?  I think they can be lumped in with restaurants...

52 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

God he's an idiot.  He jokes about Congress not working... he's no different.  He just spews leftist talking points off a teleprompter.  I'd do that too for the money he's making.

7 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

God he's an idiot.  He jokes about Congress not working... he's no different.  He just spews leftist talking points off a teleprompter.  I'd do that too for the money he's making.

Sellout!

Just so you know, I got $322/month from welfare for me and my daughter. Rent in my area at the time was $800/month, that is in ghetto azz Newark, NJ.  These people are getting over $1000/week!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and just in case you think welfare has increased, today in NJ welfare payments have raised to only $424/month. 

5 minutes ago, peenie said:

Just so you know, I got $322/month from welfare for me and my daughter. Rent in my area at the time was $800/month, that is in ghetto azz Newark, NJ.  These people are getting over $1000/week!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and just in case you think welfare has increased, today in NJ welfare payments have raised to only $424/month. 

Can I ask for proof that you are a black female?

With posts like this one.... I sometimes I wonder if you are playing a "role" trying to get reactions.

Stuff doesn't add up. 

1 minute ago, tubby_mcgee said:

Can I ask for proof that you are a black female?

With posts like this one.... I sometimes I wonder if you are playing a "role" trying to get reactions.

Stuff doesn't add up. 

Lol, what do you mean? I'm telling you the truth. I got nothing when I was on welfare. These people are sitting pretty with all this money. And they don't even have kids!!! 

Huge ISSUE here in taxachusetts. My baby momma manages 2 restaurants owned by the same guy, they are 50 feet from each other. Completely different types of food. They have to keep 1 closed for now for lack of help.

I know another guy that owns 3 restaurants and only has 2 open.  his quote "impossible to find any help, only junkies apply"

Clearly folks aren’t buying what they’re offering.

Its an odd take. If there was a post about how no one would buy a Ford Taurus, you’d say “well maybe the Taurus sucks :dunno: “

Yet when it’s your fellow man and his labor, you want to fillet him for it. I’ll never understand all this hate directed at the little guy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MDC said:

Benefits?  Your messiah gave cheap insurance to everyone.  There is no need for a company to provided benefits.

8 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Clearly folks aren’t buying what they’re offering.

Its an odd take. If there was a post about how no one would buy a Ford Taurus, you’d say “well maybe the Taurus sucks :dunno: “

Yet when it’s your fellow man and his labor, you want to fillet him for it. I’ll never understand all this hate directed at the little guy.

No, you never will understand... it's because common sense and logic is lost on you.

38 minutes ago, peenie said:

https://i.redd.it/891tk2ucr5q01.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bert said:

Benefits?  Your messiah gave cheap insurance to everyone.  There is no need for a company to provided benefits.

I’m just offering suggestions for businesses to find workers during this “labor shortage.” Seems like paying more would help.

• Sad 1

didn't Trump start the extra $400 unemployment and offer like 17 extensions?

Just now, edjr said:

didn't Trump start the extra $400 unemployment and offer like 17 extensions?

Biden’s fault

• Sad 1

Just now, MDC said:

I’m just offering suggestions for businesses to find workers during this “labor shortage.” Seems like paying more would help.

Possibly, but then prices increase and business decreases and people like AOV complain prices are too high for poor people,  Just like she did when talking about airport food. 

Stopping all the free money from the government would be a better first step in curing the "labor shortage".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MDC said:

Well, what would stop it instantly... yes, instantly, is cutting off (forever), the weekly benefits.

It’s a couple of three things: 

1) Schools not open. Teachers are holding us hostage

2) Young people new to the workplace took more money in UE than they would have made in salary. Recent college grads etc. 
3) Your usual run of the mill seasonal worker type, off the books bum taking advantage  

4) Did I mention the Fockin teachers holding us hostage? 

Edited by Hardcore troubadour

44 minutes ago, edjr said:

Huge ISSUE here in taxachusetts. My baby momma manages 2 restaurants owned by the same guy, they are 50 feet from each other. Completely different types of food. They have to keep 1 closed for now for lack of help.

I know another guy that owns 3 restaurants and only has 2 open.  his quote "impossible to find any help, only junkies apply"

Restaurants in Salem and Beverly seem to be doing fine.  maybe its a junkie problem in Glosta.

3 minutes ago, Bert said:

Possibly, but then prices increase and business decreases and people like AOV complain prices are too high for poor people,  Just like she did when talking about airport food. 

Stopping all the free money from the government would be a better first step in curing the "labor shortage".

The unemployment rate is I think around 6% right now so it’s not like a huge % of people are sitting around without jobs and turning down good offers. Most of the complaints about a labor shortage are coming from low wage jobs. If they want workers, they can try raising wages. If not, they can keep whining about a shortage of workers willing to take their menial jobs at slave wages. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, MDC said:

Trump could give them advice on offshoring, hiring foreign visa workers and stiffing his contractors. :thumbsup: 

Maybe.  And also about getting people to work.  His employment numbers were great for both white anf black people pre china flu.  Do you remember?

13 minutes ago, MDC said:

The unemployment rate is I think around 6% right now so it’s not like a huge % of people are sitting around without jobs and turning down good offers. Most of the complaints about a labor shortage are coming from low wage jobs. If they want workers, they can try raising wages. If not, they can keep whining about a shortage of workers willing to take their menial jobs at slave wages. 

The businesses will figure it out.  Hopefully, the government stays out of it.  

I didn't listen to the video but the other issue is that since these restaurants aren't working at full capacity these workers are probably not going to be working full time and even risk getting laid off again. Who wants to go through all the paperwork and have to struggle until unemployment payments begin again. It's better to stay unemployed and collect checks. 

Btw, I don't know anyone getting a check. I'm in Georgia, we barely closed during the pandemic.