Sign in to follow this  
TimmySmith

Grill, Smoker, Crock Pot, Pressure Cooker, Sous Vide

2 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

Were talking about a steak, not a rib roast, baby backs, brisket or some larger cut of meat.  Wrapping a steak in foil.  Weird as hell.

It strikes me as the quickest cook you can do.  It may work on tender cuts of very good beef.  

There is 1 time when steaming is viable option.... When I have leftover steak, I reheat it the next day in double boiler - with a dab of butter on top. 

Doing it this way rehydrates it like a champ. 

21 minutes ago, TimmySmith said:

It strikes me as the quickest cook you can do.  It may work on tender cuts of very good beef.  

I give in.  Yall want to discuss big cuts of meat.  I'm saying searing a steak and then wrapping it in foil is dumb. 

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Alias Detective said:

I give in.  Yall want to discuss big cuts of meat.  I'm saying searing a steak and then wrapping it in foil is dumb. 

And I'm saying I wouldn't do it either. The cook is too short.  But it may work on certain cuts.  :dunno:

Grill and smoker all the time.    Crock pot - sometimes the wife uses it, me never.   I don't even own the others (pressure & sous vide).

Just did a couple of ducks in the smoker this past weekend.   Split them in half, removed the backbone, and smoked/grilled them that way.     Slathered them with some duck sauce once they were done.    Had them with some nice New England tomatoes (w/ fresh basil, balsamic, & mozzarella) and summer corn.     I gotta say - one of the best meals I've made in a while.   I had forgotten how good duck could be if you do it right.   

22 minutes ago, Masshole said:

I had forgotten how good duck could be if you do it right.   

Duck done wrong is still pretty friggin good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wiffleball said:

What? Suddenly there's no love for the toaster oven?

They died when Ronco Showtime kicked the bucket. 

On 8/31/2021 at 6:21 PM, TimmySmith said:

Whatcha got and how often do you use it?

Did my first sous vide roast last week. Talk about simple. 140 set it and forget it. 8 hours was perfect. The 140 was a comprise. 

Doing pork butt in the Crock Pot right now. No way to mess that up.

Pressure cooker is a bit more difficult.  Rarely use it.

No smoker and rarely grill as I just don't have the time I use to. 

Do your pork butt in birch beer👍

I sous vide plenty but love to finish with a high heat air fry to make it perty.   My Frigidaire oven is also an air fryer.  Love my crock pot, and have the best pellet grill on the planet.  RT-B380 Bullseye Wood Pellet Grill – recteq   This pellet grill is a must w/temps of 725+.  I use it often weekly. 

I have a flat top..used it alot iver the summer...smash burgers.. onelettes...etc.

Have a small electric smoker...do ribs n chicken.

Wife uses crock pot

24 minutes ago, Cloaca du jour said:

I have a flat top..used it alot iver the summer...smash burgers.. onelettes...etc.

Have a small electric smoker...do ribs n chicken.

Wife uses crock pot

I need a flat top for some reverse searing.  I don't have a good enough vent hood to handle the roar. Currently I'm filling a chimney half full of charcoal and searing on it with a cast iron skillet.

Last 2 roasts I sous vided (18 hours) came out wonderfully tender but no flavor.  Both we started from frozen. Next time, thawed and brined. 

Also sous vided turkey breasts. 3 hours at 140. After 24 hours brined. Unreal. Best turkey breast ever. 

On 9/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, Cruzer said:

There is 1 time when steaming is viable option.... When I have leftover steak, I reheat it the next day in double boiler - with a dab of butter on top. 

Doing it this way rehydrates it like a champ. 

Seriously?  Never heard of that.  Wouldn't it be wet though?  Seems weird.

On 12/21/2021 at 8:11 PM, KSB2424 said:

Seriously?  Never heard of that.  Wouldn't it be wet though?  Seems weird. 

Oh yea, it's my go to method for leftover meats.. It re-warms universally, all the way around, and adds moisture. But not too much, then I usually take out and top with butter if a steak. 

On 12/21/2021 at 4:30 PM, remote controller said:

I sous vide plenty but love to finish with a high heat air fry to make it perty.   My Frigidaire oven is also an air fryer.  Love my crock pot, and have the best pellet grill on the planet.  RT-B380 Bullseye Wood Pellet Grill – recteq   This pellet grill is a must w/temps of 725+.  I use it often weekly. 

Looks cool..can u smoke in it?  Looks like

Gawd forbid I  used a microwave tonight to reheat prime rib.

Diced it up put in a bowl and covered in au jus.

Have 2 Req Tecs….a 590 for slow and low cooks and a Bullseye for hot and fast on sear plates. Use them all the time. 

Sous vided 5 lamb racks on Friday. 6 hours at 142. Then browned on grill. Would stack them against any restaurant, anywhere.  

Green mountain grill guy here.  Cooked a herb crusted sirloin roast to 132 and let stand an hour before thinly slicing and serving room temp with horseradish mayo drizzle.

Phenomenal appetizer!

On 12/21/2021 at 4:23 PM, Hawkeye21 said:

Ordered myself a RecTeq RT-590 last week.  Looking forward to having a pellet smoker.

How do you like it?

Timely bump.  Wife and I were discussing yesterday; our new house doesn't have a grill, but we think all we really need that we can't do inside is a pellet smoker.  Quick look at the RecTeqs looks good, I'm looking forward to @Hawkeye21's and/or other reviews.  :thumbsup: 

I have a zgrillz pellet smoker for two years, been great, no complaints.

You can't sear on a pellet smoker so steaks are not the best

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

I have a zgrillz pellet smoker for two years, been great, no complaints.

You can't sear on a pellet smoker so steaks are not the best

We had a sear station with our built-in grill at the last house and really didn't use it much; it was typically easier to sear on a stainless or cast iron pan inside.  I guess I could see if the family and/or guests are all hanging outside by the pool while you are grilling and you want to be able to sear without going inside, but we're empty nesters so that doesn't really happen these days.

I just came across the Sous vides. I think I want one. What do you do with it? 

2 hours ago, BiffTannen said:

I've got one, brand new - used once.

Of all the cooking apparatuses I own (Weber Kettle grill, offset smoker, Treager, Char Broil gas grill and Blackstone gridle) my Sous Vides is the least desirable method to prepare food of the bunch. I'm trying to give mine away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It cooks to temperature in a water bath (think precise stouffers). 20 years ago I used it to poach lobster (and other seafood) for specific dishes.  Many people will cook, say a filet, to temperature and finish on the grill.

i personally do not love the texture or flavor of doing beef this way. I could see the value for some chicken dishes.

• Thanks 1

You can cook meat to any exact temperature.  It's particularly useful for thick cuts, to get an even temp throughout. Also for cooking things like chicken or pork at a lower temp, but for a longer time which still kills bacteria.

You can throw a steak in, go golfing, come back 5 hours later and it is perfectly cooked.  You can't overcook with it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the input fellas. One of my best talents in life is ordering sh1t I don't need. Amazon man will be bringing me one of the French contraptions tomorrow. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BiffTannen said:

Thanks for all the input fellas. One of my best talents in life is ordering sh1t I don't need. Amazon man will be bringing me one of the French contraptions tomorrow. 

If you choose to try seafood... i would put wine (often a sauv blanc, or Italian whites)) and butter in the pouch

4 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

If you choose to try seafood... i would put wine (often a sauv blanc, or Italian whites)) and butter in the pouch

So the food always has to be in a vacuumed sealed pouch, right? 

• Like 1

yep...as it goes into a water bath.

vacuum sealed is important

• Like 1

Ordered a 4-pack of the wireless Meater probes too for the Traeger. I had having probe wires sticking out from under the lid.