Sign in to follow this  
DEEZNUTS

Latavius Murray being released

1 minute ago, DEEZNUTS said:

Could be a significant pick up for let’s say… Baltimore?

Yeah... and then Edwards goes down, and the 20 shares of Murray that I drafted earlier in the summer won't go to waste!

I vote yes.

Does Tony Jones Jr. have much stand alone value?  Had a roster spot and jumped on him.. may hold for awhile and see what happens.

Just now, BuschWack said:

Does Tony Jones Jr. have much stand alone value?  Had a roster spot and jumped on him.. may hold for awhile and see what happens.

I wouldn't say much value, but there will be some.  He'll probably get Latavius' carries.

1 hour ago, BuschWack said:

Does Tony Jones Jr. have much stand alone value? 

Probly around RB40 as Murray was originally slotted to be.

I think this is huge for Kamara. I still have another draft tomorrow. I will feel a lot more confident taking Kamara in the 1st round now at any pick.

8 minutes ago, LoOnAtIk said:

I think this is huge for Kamara. I still have another draft tomorrow. I will feel a lot more confident taking Kamara in the 1st round now at any pick.

This could also work the other way.. however.  As the staff will get to see more of Tony Jones Jr. in-game and utilize him the way they could not utilize Murray perhaps in passing game.  

This just feels like a throw away year for the Saints.  Only player I drafted from them in any league was Mike Thomas, and that was after I filled all my position starters,

1 minute ago, BuschWack said:

This could also work the other way.. however.  As the staff will get to see more of Tony Jones Jr. in-game and utilize him the way they could not utilize Murray perhaps in passing game.  

I think it was more of a contract issue with Latavius than it is wanting to see more of Jones. 

Y'all are acting like this is today's news or something.

Axe Elf told y'all about it two weeks ago...

"Secondly, Tony Jones, Jr. is the most disturbing development of the preseason so far--as I have like 20 shares of Latavius Murray in 45 leagues, mostly on the end of my best-ball league benches.  I can't even argue with his demotion--Jones looked twice as good as the plodding Murray in their limited action last night.  Hopefully Murray wouldn't have been called on to contribute to my best-ball teams very often from the RB5-RB6 slot, but I don't think I can count on him contributing at all, now.  Start adding this Jones kid to the ends of your benches; he's the Saints' #2 RB."

I think T Jones does have some stand alone value, I would pick him up.  

I did draft Murray in the 10th of a 12 teamer but dropped him last week like fourth period French and did pick up Tony Jones Jr. for a buck.

Nice 

7 minutes ago, Mike FF Today said:

I think that's coach speak for, "I screwed this team up this year and Murray knew it.  He wanted out.  When we asked him to take a pay cut, after having a year better than the previous, he knew this was a sunk ship before we set sail.  But, I'll pretend the reason is because of Jones because I don't want to take public responsibility for screwing this up."

1 hour ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'll pretend the reason is because of Jones

If you watched them in preseason, it was clear that he made the right decision (and I say that as an owner of 20 Murray shares).

Jones was already the #2 RB three weeks before they asked Murray to take a pay cut, which would be appropriate given his demotion.  He didn't want the pay cut that went along with his demotion, so they cut him.  So it's not just a matter of "We got another guy in case you aren't here," it was more like, "We don't need you so much any more; if you don't want to be our #3 you can look for something else."

• Haha 1

On 9/7/2021 at 7:13 PM, AxeElf said:

Y'all are acting like this is today's news or something.

Axe Elf told y'all about it two weeks ago...

"Secondly, Tony Jones, Jr. is the most disturbing development of the preseason so far--as I have like 20 shares of Latavius Murray in 45 leagues, mostly on the end of my best-ball league benches.  I can't even argue with his demotion--Jones looked twice as good as the plodding Murray in their limited action last night.  Hopefully Murray wouldn't have been called on to contribute to my best-ball teams very often from the RB5-RB6 slot, but I don't think I can count on him contributing at all, now.  Start adding this Jones kid to the ends of your benches; he's the Saints' #2 RB."

45 leagues??  Good lord

18 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

LOL

I “only have a passing interest” in the NFL, but hopefully this isn’t alluding to “the preseason doesn’t matter” since the preseason does actually matter for backups

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

I “only have a passing interest” in the NFL, but hopefully this isn’t alluding to “the preseason doesn’t matter” since the preseason does actually matter for backups

In general, the preseason doesn't matter, that's a fact.  Now, for whether guys make the team or not, it matters to them, but in the end, the production in the preseason shouldn't be assumed to translate in the regular season.  Besides, he's writing that as if the preseason games are what was the deciding factor on the kid making the team.  Sean Payton knew that kid was making the team before those games started.  Don't kid yourself.

3 hours ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Sean Payton knew that kid was making the team before those games started.  Don't kid yourself.

And not only making the team, but being elevated to RB2 status.  Payton had talked with the broadcast crew ahead of time and said, "If you ask me right now, Tony Jones Jr. is our #2."  So no, obviously that decision wasn't made during the game; I doubt if anyone is kidding themselves in that regard.

I was just able to confirm that he had made the right decision, based on how bad Murray looked and how good Jones looked, and then I was able to pass the news on to you guys a couple of weeks before anyone seemed to catch on.

You're welcome.

On 9/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, AxeElf said:

If you watched them in preseason, it was clear that he made the right decision (and I say that as an owner of 20 Murray shares).

Jones was already the #2 RB three weeks before they asked Murray to take a pay cut, which would be appropriate given his demotion.  He didn't want the pay cut that went along with his demotion, so they cut him.  So it's not just a matter of "We got another guy in case you aren't here," it was more like, "We don't need you so much any more; if you don't want to be our #3 you can look for something else."

So, you go off of the pre-season for some players and not others, like the kid RB in New England? Why? 

11 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

So, you go off of the pre-season for some players and not others, like the kid RB in New England? Why? 

The preseason is one factor out of dozens that affect player projections.  Breaking a long TD run in the 4th Q of a preseason game isn't a significant event, especially on a team that typically redshirts rookies.  Being given #2 reps over the presumed incumbent is a little more significant.

9 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

The preseason is one factor out of dozens that affect player projections.  Breaking a long TD run in the 4th Q of a preseason game isn't a significant event, especially on a team that typically redshirts rookies.  Being given #2 reps over the presumed incumbent is a little more significant.

The redshirt rookie thing, for fantasy purposes, ie skill players, has been debunked. HTH. 

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

The redshirt rookie thing, for fantasy purposes, ie skill players, has been debunked. HTH. 

Then it's about to get bunked again.

10 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Then it's about to get bunked again.

It wouldn’t have anything to do with him being a rookie then.  Chad Johnson got little playing time with the Pats because he couldn’t learn the playbook. Josh Gordon too. Not rookies. 

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

60 now.

You are in 60 leagues?

2 minutes ago, AxeElf said:

Yes.

Oh, wow.

Seriously, that sounds absolutely insane to me, but hey whatever floats your boat.

With that, I am going to vow not to say anything regarding you or your predictions anymore. It is just not right.

With that being said, Good luck.... I really had no idea.

3 hours ago, AxeElf said:

you may not like to see this, but the Elf is right on this.

in pre season the reps you get in practice matter more than what you do in the 4th quarter of an exhibition game againt the third and fourth stringers.

its about what you can and cannot consistently accomplish against higher competition that will make or break a player.

11 minutes ago, justforbeer said:

Oh, wow.

Only 16 of them are managed leagues, though... the other 44 are best-ball leagues--no waivers, no trades, no setting lineups.

It's all the fun of drafting without the hangover of in-season management--like birth control for fantasy football!

I spy a welcher in this thread but it’s 24/7. We all knew he couldn’t live without this place. Dude has no life :lol: 

• Confused 1

On 9/7/2021 at 4:45 PM, AxeElf said:

Yeah... and then Edwards goes down, and the 20 shares of Murray that I drafted earlier in the summer won't go to waste!

I vote yes.

Missed it by THAT much!

6 minutes ago, Djgb13 said:

I spy a welcher in this thread

OOoooo!  Call his butt out!  We HATE welchers!

C'mon, don't be coy... make him PAY!

5 hours ago, AxeElf said:

Only 16 of them are managed leagues, though... the other 44 are best-ball leagues--no waivers, no trades, no setting lineups.

It's all the fun of drafting without the hangover of in-season management--like birth control for fantasy football!

agreed.  Best Ball you draft your late players for upside because thats whats gonna get your team wins.    The guy who gets a consistent 10 fantasy points per game is worth more than the guy who averages 8 but occasionally gets 15-20 points in a managed league.   in a best ball league its the opposite. (at least for your late round players)

On 9/9/2021 at 7:00 PM, Djgb13 said:

I spy a welcher in this thread but it’s 24/7. We all knew he couldn’t live without this place. Dude has no life :lol: 

😀