Sign in to follow this  
jerryskids

LOTR -- The Rings of Power

New series coming up on Amazon Prime, prequel to Lord of the Rings, it tells the story of the forging of the rings from the Second Age in Middle Earth.  Amazon paid $250M for the rights and committed to 5 seasons minimum.  

https://www.cnet.com/news/lord-of-the-rings-prequel-series-gets-name-and-teaser-trailer/?mc_cid=aa008071b0&mc_eid=db8060e0ab

The Rings of Power: Amazon reveals title for Lord of the Rings prequel series

The Prime Video series is slated for September.

Erin Carson headshot
Jan. 19, 2022 7:17 a.m. PT
LISTEN
- 00:46
  •  

screen-shot-2022-01-19-at-10-15-05-am.png

There's a teaser trailer out for The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power.

Amazon Prime Video

Amazon Prime Video unveiled the title for the upcoming Lord of the Rings prequel TV series, Wednesday. It shows the name of the series, The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power, being cast in metal, while the familiar refrain from J.R.R. Tolkien's books evokes the creation of the rings, so central to their plot.

The series is set in the Second Age of the fictional world of Middle Earth, which puts the show thousands of years before The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings.

Get the CNET Culture newsletter
Explore movies, games, superheroes and more with CNET Culture. Delivered Tuesdays and Fridays.
 Yes, I also want to receive the CNET Insider newsletter, keeping me up to date with all things CNET.
SIGN ME UP!

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.

In the real world, Deadline has reported that Amazon paid about $250 million for the rights, likely making it the most expensive series ever made. The Hollywood Reporter also pegged the total production price tag at more than $1 billion. What's more, Deadline reported Amazon had to commit to at least five seasons.

The show is set to hit Prime Video on Sept. 2.

Large play-pause toggle
Facebook's Horizon Workrooms: A VR...08:5108:53

Amazon's Lord of the Rings prequel series: What you need to know about The Rings of Power

Journey back to Middle-earth with the upcoming jillion-dollar show. Here are all the details on the cast, plot and release date for series.

Gael Fashingbauer Cooper headshot
Jan. 19, 2022 1:21 p.m. PT
LISTEN
- 06:34
  •  

amazon-lotr-map

The new Middle-earth map shows the upcoming terrain of the Lord of the Rings series on Amazon.

Amazon

A sprawling, insanely pricey TV series based on incredibly popular and famously complex fantasy books written by someone with double-R middle initials? No, it's not George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones. It's a prequel to J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings saga, soon to become an Amazon Prime original series.

Don't expect a retread of familiar territory. Amazon isn't going to remake the LOTR series that was last seen as several Peter Jackson-directed movies. Though this series, like the film saga, will be set in Tolkien's Middle-earth, Amazon says the original storylines will come from a time period preceding The Fellowship of the Ring

Get the CNET Daily News newsletter
Catch up on the biggest news stories in minutes. Delivered on weekdays.
 Yes, I also want to receive the CNET Insider newsletter, keeping me up to date with all things CNET.
SIGN ME UP!

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.

And the series will cost a lot of silver coin, or whatever the monetary unit is in pre-LOTR Middle-earth. Deadline reported that Amazon paid close to $250 million for the rights, making it the most expensive TV series ever. That doesn't, of course, include the money to pay the actors and crew and actually make the show. The Hollywood Reporter speculates the whole shebang could cost more than $1 billion.

Title and teaser video

On Jan. 19, revealed that the series is called The Rings of Power. A brief teaser video shows the name of the series being cast in metal. A statement from showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay gave a slightly more informative plotline. It's nothing we didn't already know. The series "unites all the major stories of Middle-Earth's second age: the forging of the rings, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men."

First photo and release date

The show revealed its first somewhat mysterious photo in August 2021, also revealing that the show will be released on Sept. 2, 2022.

On September 2, 2022, a new journey begins. pic.twitter.com/9tnR7WqDoA

— The Lord of the Rings on Prime (@LOTRonPrime) August 2, 2021

Amazon didn't explain the image, but fans speculated it might show the "two trees of Valinor," which are trees that brought light in ancient times. Others pointed out that in Tolkien's writing, those trees were destroyed before the setting of this series, so they could only show up in a flashback.

The series is set in Tolkien's Second Age, thousands of years before The Hobbit and LOTR.

"Beginning in a time of relative peace, the series follows an ensemble cast of characters, both familiar and new, as they confront the long-feared re-emergence of evil to Middle-earth," the synopsis reads in part.

Our servers haven't crashed & burned like this since 2003, so here's the official show synopsis for Amazon's LORD OF THE RINGS series. 📺 #LOTRonPrime pic.twitter.com/O9k0Q8Vkuz

— TheOneRing.net (@theoneringnet) January 13, 2021

What's this LOTR about?

You won't have seen these stories before, but you'll know the Middle-earth setting and likely some of the details from LOTR. Amazon reportedly has rights to use elements from the Peter Jackson movies, though we're unsure what form that will take. Jackson himself told Metro U.K. he won't be deeply involved, but that he might offer some assistance.

There are four ages in Tolkien's works. Lord of the Rings was set in the Third Age. This series will take place in The Second Age. The famous One Ring of LOTR fame was forged in this time period by the Dark Lord Sauron, who should be a major part of the new show.

Welcome to the Second Age: https://t.co/Tamd0oRgTw

— The Lord of the Rings on Prime (@LOTRonPrime) March 7, 2019

Amazon's Salke told Deadline, "We're not remaking the movies, but we're also not starting from scratch. So, it'll be characters you love."

In February 2019, Amazon shared an interactive map showing the part of Middle-earth that will be depicted in the show. Users can zoom in on parts of the map and move around it. There's not a lot to see, but the map does show the island of Númenor, which rose from the sea and then was destroyed and sunk back under the waves, Atlantis-style.

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, pic.twitter.com/unJj1Bpde1

— The Lord of the Rings on Prime (@LOTRonPrime) February 15, 2019

As for the real location, it's no surprise that the show's first season filmed in New Zealand, home of the Peter Jackson films. J.A. Bayona directed the first two episodes and, in December 2020, posted a "farewell to Auckland" photo featuring some very dirty hobbity feet.

However, the show plans to film its second season in the United Kingdom, which left some Kiwis upset.

The basics:  What, when and for how long?

WHAT... Amazon bought the global TV rights to Tolkien's (it's pronounced Tol-KEEN) Lord of the Rings saga, though what exactly the company will do with those rights could evolve. Right now plans are for a multiseason series set in that pre-Fellowship time period called The Second Age. 

But there may be more than one show: Amazon's initial press release noted that the deal includes a potential additional spinoff series. Our guess is we'll have to see how the first show does before going there.

WHEN... The show will premiere on Amazon Prime Video on Sept. 2, 2022.

HOW LONG... The series will be around for a while: The Tolkien deal requires Amazon to commit to five seasons.

How to watch

As you almost certainly know, Amazon has an entertainment arm. Amazon Prime Video is a premium on-demand entertainment service that not only licenses content but also makes its own. Amazon Studios has produced such original series as The Man in the High Castle and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, as well as movies.

You need an Amazon Prime membership to access the content. But once you have one, you get unlimited streaming via Prime Video, which is now available in more than 200 countries.

The cast

Amazon has announced a long list of actors who'll star in the series, though there's not a lot of detail about the characters they will play. English actor Robert Aramayo, who played young Ned Stark in HBO's Game of Thrones, will star as Beldor, the leading role in the new series. Australian actor Markella Kavenagh will reportedly play a character named Tyra. British actor Maxim Baldry has signed on for a lead role, though his character's name has not yet been revealed. 

Other cast members include Owain Arthur, Nazanin Boniadi, Tom Budge, Morfydd Clark, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Ema Horvath, Joseph Mawle (Benjen Stark in Game of Thrones), Tyroe Muhafidin, Sophia Nomvete, Megan Richards, Dylan Smith, Charlie Vickers and Daniel Weyman.

And in December, Amazon dropped another list of cast members for the enormous series. They include Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Maxim Baldry, Ian Blackburn, Kip Chapman, Anthony Crum, Maxine Cunliffe, Trystan Gravelle, Sir Lenny Henry, Thusitha Jayasundera, Fabian McCallum, Simon Merrells, Geoff Morrell, Peter Mullan, Lloyd Owen, Augustus Prew, Peter Tait, Alex Tarrant, Leon Wadham, Benjamin Walker and Sara Zwangobani.

Who else is involved?

Godzilla vs. Kong screenwriters J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay will develop the show. "We feel like Frodo, setting out from the Shire, with a great responsibility in our care -- it is the beginning of the adventure of a lifetime," Payne and McKay said in a statement.

Meet our Fellowship. pic.twitter.com/Npouu6ZlRt

— The Lord of the Rings on Prime (@LOTRonPrime) July 27, 2019

Bryan Cogman, who wrote 11 episodes of HBO's Game of Thrones, is listed as one of the writers, along with Gennifer Hutchison, Helen Shang, Jason Cahill, Glenise Mullins, Justin Doble and Stephany Folsom

Bayona, who directed 2018's Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, is directing the first two episodes. Belén Atienza, Bruce Richmond, Gene Kelly and Lindsey Weber are executive producers, with Ron Ames as a co-producer.

This story was first posted in May 2019 and is updated as news is revealed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Amazon will totally woke it up.

Saw the trailer yesterday. Not sure how I feel. Like Cdub said, they will probably destroy it with wokeness 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Why did someone give me a sad face reaction to this?  :headscratch:

Someone’s going around doing that on a lot of posts I’ve noticed. Ones that make zero sense to do it on. This place isn’t exactly known to have the brightest ppl here 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I will watch it, but I don't think it will be as good as the movies.

I am so thankful to have those movies.

ETA - Not the hobbit.

7 minutes ago, Cdub100 said:

I am so thankful to have those movies.

ETA - Not the hobbit.

I think it will be worse than the hobbit series, but still worth watching.

Just now, MTSkiBum said:

I'll give it a shot, but have little hope.

9 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have no preconceptions.  I've never read the Silmarillion or any of Tolkien's writings on pre-LOTR Middle Earth and I'm more than welcome to a story about the second age, the rise of Sauron, and the forging of the rings.  :cheers: 

• Sad 1

Nothing pisses me off more than the crazy eyes.  I can deal with a sad face, but the focking crazy eyes.  They drive me batty.  I literally throw sh1t.

• Confused 2

9 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

I have no preconceptions.  I've never read the Silmarillion or any of Tolkien's writings on pre-LOTR Middle Earth and I'm more than welcome to a story about the second age, the rise of Sauron, and the forging of the rings.  :cheers: 

I think it will be equivalent to the Boys in quality, compare the Boys to something like Deadpool or gaurdians of the galaxy.  The marvel movies are on another level when it comes to special effects, level of actor quality, etc. 

I like the boys and will watch the next season when it drops, but the boys is not a masterpiece of cinematography. The original movies set the bar so high that it would be unfair to think that these tv shows will come close.

5 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I think it will be equivalent to the Boys in quality, compare the Boys to something like Deadpool or gaurdians of the galaxy.  The marvel movies are on another level when it comes to special effects, level of actor quality, etc. 

I like the boys and will watch the next season when it drops, but the boys is not a masterpiece of cinematography. The original movies set the bar so high that it would be unfair to think that these tv shows will come close.

This coming from a man who allows his wife to drive his pickup truck.  

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I haven't watched The Boys, just looked it up, I still don't get the rereference.  They may spend a billion dollars on this and they have the chance to set up all of the peoples in LOTR, from Tom Bombadil to Ents to the kings of men who fell victim to the rings... so much potential, I'm going to be glass half full about it.  :) 

21 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Only thing I’ve read was The Hobbit back in 3rd grade. Honestly, didn’t even know there was anything more to the story than that until the LOTR movies came out. 

• Sad 1

Just now, jerryskids said:

I haven't watched The Boys, just looked it up, I still don't get the rereference.  They may spend a billion dollars on this and they have the chance to set up all of the peoples in LOTR, from Tom Bombadil to Ents to the kings of men who fell victim to the rings... so much potential, I'm going to be glass half full about it.  :) 

I have watched many other of Amazons TV shows over the years and none have been great yet, including Wheel of Time. However you are correct, i did dig up the budget difference. Wheel of time was only 80 million for season 1.

This one is 6 times more expensive.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-cost-465-million-one-season-4167791/

2 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

I have watched many other of Amazons TV shows over the years and none have been great yet, including Wheel of Time. However you are correct, i did dig up the budget difference. Wheel of time was only 80 million for season 1.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/amazons-lord-of-the-rings-cost-465-million-one-season-4167791/

I had high hopes for wheel of time when I first heard about it. Then when I finally saw the trailer I knew it was gonna be hit garbage so I never started it. When I see a ton of diversity in settings that have no business being that diverse I know it’s going to be trash. 99% of the time they focus more on diversity, inclusion, and empowerment than they do writing a good story or having good actors. Only one I consider to be actually good is The Boys. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

Eh, Wheel of Time was watchable 

33 minutes ago, MTSkiBum said:

It's going to be the most expensive TV show ever produced by a long shot. 4-5 times more per than Games of Thrones. How could it not be top of the line special effects and cinematography?  

More woke, woman B.S. just like House of Dragons

Needs boobs and nudity or it wont last.

That was half of GOT appeal the first few seasons.  Midgets are a good touch also.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 7:07 PM, Cdub100 said:

Amazon will totally woke it up.

Called it.

• Like 1

Only 37% of viewers who started the series finished it. Not great, Bob.

no. I watched 15 minutes and was out

2 hours ago, Reality said:

Only 37% of viewers who started the series finished it. Not great, Bob.

I didn't even know it finished and I started this thread.  That's how interested I was.  :(