Sign in to follow this  
edjr

***official*** 2022 World Cup in Qatar ***official***

Just now, Gladiators said:

Along with quite a few missed golden opportunities.

Tons of opportunities to score.  I'm still impressed with this team regardless.

USA got lucky with a soft group (Wales and Iran actually made the World Cup?). It was admirable that they played England to a draw, but they are badly outmatched by the Dutch. We’re the country of soccer moms, not of soccer.

3 minutes ago, dogcows said:

USA got lucky with a soft group (Wales and Iran actually made the World Cup?). It was admirable that they played England to a draw, but they are badly outmatched by the Dutch. We’re the country of soccer moms, not of soccer.

You should have watched some of the games.

19 minutes ago, dogcows said:

I feel like you're basing this off of the countries names and not actually how they played.  Do you follow international soccer? 

You could argue that the US had one of the most difficult groups.  They were the only group that had all 4 teams ranked in the top 20.

Ranked the toughest group here https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2022/11/15/world-cup-2022-all-the-groups-ranked-by-difficulty

1 hour ago, Gladiators said:

Gio Reyna better be in at the start of the second half.

What was the story here?  Seems like everyone thought he should’ve been starting but wasn’t?

predictable. Not ready for the big time. Too tentative. see you in 2026

Don't know anything about soccer...............but the 2 goals the Neo-turds scored, our guys were just standing around with their fingers in their ass. :thumbsdown:

1 hour ago, Cruzer said:

Don't know anything about soccer...............but the 2 goals the Neo-turds scored, our guys were just standing around with their fingers in their ass. :thumbsdown:

Did they then roll around on the ground pretending they were in pain? 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I feel like you're basing this off of the countries names and not actually how they played.  Do you follow international soccer? 

You could argue that the US had one of the most difficult groups.  They were the only group that had all 4 teams ranked in the top 20.

Ranked the toughest group here https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2022/11/15/world-cup-2022-all-the-groups-ranked-by-difficulty

That's interesting. I didn't expect that. I was fulling in agreement with dogcows.

The US has a habit of taking the #2 group seed into the Round of 16 and losing. Meanwhile, Wales and Iran don't even have a history of showing up at all. I wasn't surprised when the tune played out the same as always, and hadn't realized any of these three teams had more going on.

6 hours ago, Voltaire said:

That's interesting. I didn't expect that. I was fulling in agreement with dogcows.

The US has a habit of taking the #2 group seed into the Round of 16 and losing. Meanwhile, Wales and Iran don't even have a history of showing up at all. I wasn't surprised when the tune played out the same as always, and hadn't realized any of these three teams had more going on.

One needs to consider the history of teams, not just their current ranking. This is only the 2nd time Wales qualified for the World Cup. Last time was 1958. 

Iran’s record is slightly better, with a few appearances over the years. But they have never advanced to the knockout round.

So, regardless of their current rankings, I still call it a soft group. It was widely expected that England and USA would advance, and that’s what happened. Meanwhile, perennial contenders Spain and Germany were in the same group… and we saw how that turned out.

100% true...

Nation Relieved To No Longer Have To Pretend To Like Soccer

https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-relieved-to-no-longer-have-to-pretend-to-like-soccer

U.S. — After the men's national team was dealt a crushing 1-3 loss by the Netherlands, the United States expressed deep relief to no longer have to go on pretending to like soccer.

"Hoo-boy, I didn't think I could keep that up another day," said local man Aaron Bronson. "Thank God for the Dutch!"

After twelve grueling days of trying to get excited about a ball mostly being passed backward, celebrations broke out across America as its World Cup run came to a close. "I know we only have to fake being soccer fans every four years, but it's been a brutal couple of weeks," said local bar owner Greg Jaster. "We scored three goals in SIX HOURS of soccer! And I have it on good authority from a Brazilian buddy of mine that our last goal was actually an accident. I'm trying to be a good patriot and cheer for our team, but come on."

According to people who watch soccer, the U.S. team actually looked better while losing during this World Cup. "The Americans really didn't get outplayed, they just made awful mistakes in all the big moments," said England native Sean O'Houlihan. "They created wide-open shots, and then completely whiffed. They would play excellent defense against the best strikers in the world - but then would totally forget to mark a mediocre player. It's really rather tragic."

At publishing time, no one had understood a word Mr. O'Houlihan had said and switched the channel over to real football.

22 hours ago, dogcows said:

One needs to consider the history of teams, not just their current ranking. This is only the 2nd time Wales qualified for the World Cup. Last time was 1958. 

Iran’s record is slightly better, with a few appearances over the years. But they have never advanced to the knockout round.

So, regardless of their current rankings, I still call it a soft group. It was widely expected that England and USA would advance, and that’s what happened. Meanwhile, perennial contenders Spain and Germany were in the same group… and we saw how that turned out.

It was widely considered the most difficult group.  There really isn't much else to say about it.

I tried.  I watched for one minute give or take a few seconds.  Loss of control (by both teams), ball kicked ahead, goes out of bounds.  Such a boring stupid sport to watch.  I switched back to the K-State - TCU game which was thoroughly entertaining.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Hawkeye21 said:

It was widely considered the most difficult group.  There really isn't much else to say about it.

The way this is playing out is all the traditional powers are still dominant.

If you'd ask me to make a list of the elite eight when we started, not knowing anything about soccer, I'd have gotten five of six, missing Croatia for Germany, and still have Portugal and Spain on tap to go 7 for 8.

1 hour ago, Gladiators said:

Spain about to lose on PKs!!!!

Primary Key or Public Key??

On 12/5/2022 at 10:29 AM, Hawkeye21 said:

I do NOT follow soccer, but just being a big sports fan in general and always following world cups, I would have taken one look at the groups and assumed Germany/Spain/Costa Rica/Japan was the toughest draw. Didn't expect Japan to win it but I do seem to remember watching them pull off some upsets in other world cup games. 

The fact we tied England is enough to tell me we did well (by our expectations). 

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

I do NOT follow soccer, but just being a big sports fan in general and always following world cups, I would have taken one look at the groups and assumed Germany/Spain/Costa Rica/Japan was the toughest draw. Didn't expect Japan to win it but I do seem to remember watching them pull off some upsets in other world cup games. 

The fact we tied England is enough to tell me we did well (by our expectations). 

Going by name only I would agree with you.  I was very happy with the England tie but should've won against Whales.

24 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

should've won against Whales.

They are very good goaltenders, since they are so big...

24 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Going by name only I would agree with you.  I was very happy with the England tie but should've won against Whales.

i saw some of the back and forth regarding current world ranking versus name only etc and I have to say I do feel like name value and past world cup success should hold a decent amount of weight in an event like this. There is probably a reason why the same teams are always favored to win or expected to at least do well in world cups. I would think this is an event where a team not ranked as highly as usual can draw on past experience of some players or coaches and/or rise up to the occasion because of tradition. 

LISA !!! LISA !!! LISA!!!

1 minute ago, posty said:

Such a stupid way to break ties in a huge competition...

You post a lot in thread that you don't like the sport. Weird. 

3 minutes ago, avoiding injuries said:

That GK for Croatia is insane during penalty kicks. 

The same goalie that forgot he could use his hands on the only Brazil goal from Neymar? That was the weirdest thing I ever watched. The goalie went down on his knees and never went for the ball and moved his hands back like it would have been illegal for him to touch the ball. 

Just now, edjr said:

You post a lot in thread that you don't like the sport. Weird. 

Pot.  Kettle.  Kettle.  Pot.

Just now, posty said:

Pot.  Kettle.  Kettle.  Pot.

No. I watch baseball. I just think it's dumb and needs fixing.

you post in all the golf threads about Tiger too. 💤

4 minutes ago, edjr said:

I just think that there has to be a better way during a big tournament then having PKs decide it...

I've broken the code to enjoying soccer, watch teams that are actually good at it...

😆

On 12/9/2022 at 1:05 PM, edjr said:

you should know by now, for someone who doesn't care about or participate in stuff, Posty loves to post about said topic. 

annoyed Argentina beat Netherlands but i've still got France