Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

Supreme Court considers Biden’s student loan debt relief plan

42 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

The Cares Act was bipartisan down the line homo. You’re not that retarded are you?  And it was an act, passed by congress. 

Now do Biden. 

Well before you chimed in all the discussion was about how unfair it is, college kids should have to pay, govt shouldn't forgive debt, etc.

So it sounds like you would support college debt relief as long as it goes through Congress.  Good for you.

2 hours ago, Strike said:

If going to college is too expensive, fix the cost of college.  Duh.  FFS.

Make those loans hard as hell to get.  But, that's racist and provides no "equality".  

5 hours ago, Dizkneelande said:

No, hospital visits are free as is the labor of the people in the hospitals treating them.

I was going to say the same thing. Thank You. I'm guessing they recoup the difference by passing it on to those who have health insurance. 

Something else I haven't seen mentioned. If this somehow goes through, it'll send a clear message to those giant money sinkholes called universities. Keep on raising those tuition rates far above the price of inflation, Uncle Joe (Taxpayers) have your back.

And why hasn't anyone questioned the income cliff/cap ?  I don't ever remember a Democrat suggesting giving relief to singles making under 125K & couples 250k ?  If a Republican suggested the same thing, I'm almost certain the Democrats would call it a giveaway to the rich.

ATTN Dizkneelande: Haven’t we forgiven their loans for the past 3 years? 
I found the following @ studentaid.gov before the site quit working….
Sorry, StudentAid.gov is currently unavailable. We're working on fixing it! Thanks for your patience.

March 20, 2020: The office of Federal Student Aid began providing the following temporary relief on ED-owned federal student loans: Suspension of loan payments, stopped collections on defaulted loans, and a 0% interest rate. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

This post ignores the fact that we’ve been granting debt relief, in one form or another, for decades: to banks, to corporations, to oil companies, to individuals, to whomever politicians tend to favor at the time. You can be against such practices but to pretend that they’re something new under the sun and that doing it this time around will lead to future problems is pretty nonsensical. 

solution give everyone in the US 100k debt relief, never give relief to ANY company, if a company fails too bad

I was against the auto industry and bank bailouts, cause once again all it does is screw the working class

this way if you are responsible you can use it to pay down your mortgage, if you got stupid ass debt from CC, college or something else you get a bailout

if you cant use any of those you get a 20k tax writeoff for 5 years

11 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

Well before you chimed in all the discussion was about how unfair it is, college kids should have to pay, govt shouldn't forgive debt, etc.

So it sounds like you would support college debt relief as long as it goes through Congress.  Good for you.

No dummy, YOU said Trump did something when it was really all of Congress. 

It's unfair AND illegal as the SCOTUS will soon tell us. 

What I would like to know is if he is using a bastardized version of the hero’s act to justify this, recipients haven’t had to pay their loans in 3 years, I would guess 99% of recipients are employed or should be employed with a 3.5% or so national unemployment rate and, the covid emergency ending in May, why can’t they go back to paying their loans?

BTW Roberts pretty much confirmed this isn’t passing muster. I bet Sotomayor sides also. 

@TimHauckthis is my work go check Twitter. 

18 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Today the SC considered President Biden’s student loan debt relief plan. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/politics/live-news/student-loan-forgiveness-scotus-arguments-02-28-23/index.html

So here’s what I think: I am in favor of some sort of debt relief plan. The unfairness of it doesn’t bother me; I think our economy will benefit if these college grads have more money in their pockets to purchase homes, home ownership being IMO the key to a strong and prosperous society. So that’s basically why I’m for it. 

But I don’t like the way Biden went about it, and if the conservative members of the Supreme Court decide that Biden does not have the authority to do this of his own accord, I’m inclined to agree with them.

In general I am troubled about how each President we’ve had, regardless of political party, keeps attempting to take more and more executive power away from Congress. I get that a big reason for this is that we are so divided on issues as a country that it’s extremely difficult to get any kind of significant legislation passed, because half the nation always seems to oppose whatever it is. But that’s too bad. We need to find a way to resolve that problem, and giving the President too much authority is not the way to do it. 

Thoughts? 

If some is good why is not more even better?  Why not just give every citizen $1,000,000.00?

The answer is obvious.  It is just as obvious that the truth behind the answer remains true at the lesser level contemplated.  This is not good for the economy.  It may be good for targeted sectors of the economy, biut it will drag down the economy as a whole, including those targeted sectors who enjoy a brief shining moment of apparent relief before the harsh reality overtakes them.

18 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

In general I am troubled about how each President we’ve had, regardless of political party, keeps attempting to take more and more executive power away from Congress. I get that a big reason for this is that we are so divided on issues as a country that it’s extremely difficult to get any kind of significant legislation passed, because half the nation always seems to oppose whatever it is. But that’s too bad. We need to find a way to resolve that problem, and giving the President too much authority is not the way to do it. 

Thoughts? 

This should be overturned for this reason.   Not that Biden or the Dems will care they did it an an election ploy and it worked.  If SCOTUS overturns it they will say we tried but the Republicans....

My Father was in the hospital recently and the nursing shortage is a real crisis.  What they should do is say if you want to be a nurse (or other really needed professional) we will pay $xxx for full payment of your education if you work for say 5 years after in a that field.  Tie into it that to be eligible to receive the funds the school has to accept the amount they specify as full payment for tuition so the school does not just jack up tuition because the government kicks in.  Forgiving loans for idiots with liberal arts degrees is insane. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, League Champion said:

He shouldn't rescue anyone!!!

How about he pays for MEDICAL DEBT instead. Has anyone considered that?? They chose college, nobody chooses cancer. 

I agree in a vacuum, but here's the thing, people do choose unhealthy options in life.  No, people do not choose cancer specifically, but they do choose the risk...don't they?  Any time someone smokes a cigarette, they're choosing a heightened risk of cancer.  Any time someone drinks alcohol, they're choosing a heightened risk of cancer.  Right?  At what point do you discern between "naturally occurring" cancer and "heightened choice risk" cancer?  If you don't, and just pay for everyone, aren't you doing the same thing as what the Democrats are proposing for college debt relief?

19 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

Second, you and others seem to be focused on the injustice issue- and I get that. I am more focused on the question of whether or not debt relief is advantageous to us as a society- and I think it would be. But again, it has to be done legislatively and not by executive order. 

I'll have to remember this the next time you scream about racism with cops.  I'll have to ask you why you are so focused on injustice and not whether or not society is better off with a criminal not being alive.

College grads make more than non college grads but the college grads want the non college grads to pay for the college grads college. Do I have that right? 

19 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

We have never lived in a society in which laws have been based on fairness for all. 

So let's just keep perpetuating that instead of trying to make it so, right?

2 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

So let's just keep perpetuating that instead of trying to make it so, right?

No, we do live in a society where laws are based on fairness for all, and we have for some time.  This is an ironic statement in some ways to suggest the world is "unfair".  It ignores our individuality and ability to make our own choices. It frames people into a group and then associates that group with some common element, you see this more often in racists....or liberals....redundant.

There was a time when this was less true,   But through force of will we as a society overcame the Democrats and their hold over minority groups.  We do have a more fair, though not perfect, system.   Now we face cultural elements, and that is more challenging to fix. 

Also, lots of this student loan money was spent on Lattes and spring break. Let’s be real. 

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

No, we do live in a society where laws are based on fairness for all, and we have for some time.  This is an ironic statement in some ways to suggest the world is "unfair".  It ignores our individuality and ability to make our own choices. It frames people into a group and then associates that group with some common element, you see this more often in racists....or liberals....redundant.

There was a time when this was less true,   But through force of will we as a society overcame the Democrats and their hold over minority groups.  We do have a more fair, though not perfect, system.   Now we face cultural elements, and that is more challenging to fix. 

I agree with you, but I was using his own stance to prove his point, to be ridiculous.

9 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

College grads make more than non college grads but the college grads want the non college grads to pay for the college grads college. Do I have that right? 

Yes, yes you do.

48 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

No dummy, YOU said Trump did something when it was really all of Congress. 

It's unfair AND illegal as the SCOTUS will soon tell us. 

The president signs all the bills into law, dummy.

3 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Yes, yes you do.

Nice gig. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

I'll have to remember this the next time you scream about racism with cops.  I'll have to ask you why you are so focused on injustice and not whether or not society is better off with a criminal not being alive.

I care about injustice when people are harmed. I don’t buy the argument that when the government picks and chooses how to spend money that harm comes to those who don’t receive it. So I reject your analogy. 

28 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yes. And oil company executives make a hell of a lot more than you or I do but both of us pay for the oil companies. And I could provide you literally dozens of other examples involving your tax money with the same unfairness. Which is why I think it’s irrelevant. 

22 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Also, lots of this student loan money was spent on Lattes and spring break. Let’s be real. 

This is what I am saying partially.  To foolishly believe these idiots who in many many cases made bad financial decisions are now going to make a good one with this handout is just idiotic.  They will piss it away and whine about how somehow they STILL can't afford a home.  

Don't be fooled.

I wanted to also respond to @TheNewGir| who yesterday doubted that once relieved of loan debt these people would buy homes. Most real estate analysts disagree with you which is where I got the idea in the first place- I’m a real estate professional. 

But in any case I would prefer a student loan debt relief program tied DIRECTLY to home ownership, which a few states have already enacted: 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/states-pay-off-student-loans-203800336.html

I think this is a really smart idea, which would remove your concern. It also might take away the “unfairness” complaint. Something like this on a federal level is, IMO, much preferable to Biden’s solution. 

3 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

This is what I am saying partially.  To foolishly believe these idiots who in many many cases made bad financial decisions are now going to make a good one with this handout is just idiotic.  They will piss it away and whine about how somehow they STILL can't afford a home.  

Don't be fooled.

Suppose we tie it together? Please read my post above. 

Ok so one idea I saw floated around, was allowing student debt to be relieved through the bankruptcy process.   To me this seems like a good compromise.   No? yes?

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

I wanted to also respond to @TheNewGir| who yesterday doubted that once relieved of loan debt these people would buy homes. Most real estate analysts disagree with you which is where I got the idea in the first place- I’m a real estate professional. 

But in any case I would prefer a student loan debt relief program tied DIRECTLY to home ownership, which a few states have already enacted: 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/states-pay-off-student-loans-203800336.html

I think this is a really smart idea, which would remove your concern. It also might take away the “unfairness” complaint. Something like this on a federal level is, IMO, much preferable to Biden’s solution. 

there are a lot of ideas...some maybe. This one, just flat our forgiveness, doesn't work for me.

Just get a good paying job and pay off your focking loan.  There are so many jobs available paying good enough wages to pay all your bills.

10 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Yes. And oil company executives make a hell of a lot more than you or I do but both of us pay for the oil companies. And I could provide you literally dozens of other examples involving your tax money with the same unfairness. Which is why I think it’s irrelevant. 

Ok then. So we can use that template from now on in political and social matters? You know , two wrongs make a right? Let me know how to proceed with you in the future. Also, while many of those bailouts were bullshit, many of them were paid back. No such plan here.  

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Here’s a study from Barons on how student loan relief could help the housing market: 

https://www.barrons.com/amp/articles/student-loan-debt-relief-cancellation-housing-market-5166275695

Yay Banks! 

20 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I care about injustice when people are harmed. I don’t buy the argument that when the government picks and chooses how to spend money that harm comes to those who don’t receive it. So I reject your analogy. 

You didn’t care that 600k small businesses closed permanently due to blue state Covid lockdowns. 

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Ok then. So we can use that template from now on in political and social matters? You know , two wrongs make a right? Let me know how to proceed with you in the future. Also, while many of those bailouts were bullshit, many of them were paid back. No such plan here.  

There is no one template that works for all economic, political, and social matters. Every situation has its own set of circumstances and needs to be looked at differently. There are very few double standards. 

So proceed with me in the future by examining my opinion or argument on the issue at hand without trying to make me out a hypocrite because you think it contradicts something I wrote earlier about an entirely different issue- because it won’t. And I will do the same with you, 

Also my comments weren’t specifically about bailouts. Oil companies and many others receive continual subsidies. 

7 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Yay Banks! 

I’m trying to figure out how increasing the home buyer pool will somehow make home ownership more affordable.

If the government forgave everyone's debts (student, auto, home, credit cards, medical, personal, and whatever else I might be missing), everyone would have more disposable income to be able to buy whatever they wanted and it wouldn't hurt anyone.  C'mon Biden, get this done!

Just now, Dizkneelande said:

You didn’t care that 600k small businesses closed permanently due to blue state Covid lockdowns. 

I absolutely did care about that. It affected me and millions of others terribly. IM not sure how it was unfair though since nearly everyone was equally affected. 

I regard Covid as similar to a hurricane. We weren’t prepared for it, Society tried to do its best, there were mistakes and tragedies along the way, a lot of incompetence and some greed and corruption. Hopefully we’ll do better next time though I have no confidence that we will. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

I absolutely did care about that. It affected me and millions of others terribly. IM not sure how it was unfair though since nearly everyone was equally affected. 

I regard Covid as similar to a hurricane. We weren’t prepared for it, Society tried to do its best, there were mistakes and tragedies along the way, a lot of incompetence and some greed and corruption. Hopefully we’ll do better next time though I have no confidence that we will. 

How was allowing some businesses to remain open while closing others considered equally affected?

Just now, Dizkneelande said:

It’s paywalled so I doubt you read it 

I did read it a few months back. I get Barons on the office account. But there’s plenty of other sources that say the same thing. Feel free to Google it. 

Just now, The Real timschochet said:

I did read it a few months back. I get Barons on the office account. But there’s plenty of other sources that say the same thing. Feel free to Google it. 

You don’t need to google something that isn’t true. 

1 minute ago, Dizkneelande said:

How was allowing some businesses to remain open while closing others considered equally affected?

At the height most businesses were closed. At least in my state. There wasn’t any picking and choosing except for what was considered essential services like grocery stores.