EternalShinyAndChrome

Rodgers to Jets

Just now, WhiteWonder said:

I don't think drafting Hooker (though I agree I have a feeling he will be gone unless they can trade up) means you are not going for it with Rodgers. And you certainly don't worry that Rodgers will feel jilted the way he did when the Packers drafted Love. He knows hes only playing 2 years max. 

If Hooker was there at pick 43, you pass on him for what? Fortify the defense? a receiver in a weaker receiver class? I mean, thats probably how the Jets are thinking, I am just hoping they are open to the idea of Hooker if he is there because again, this team has enough young talent that the window to compete should be more than 2 seasons. 

Not sure what they would have to package to get up in the 1st.  Don't have those values in front of me.   Yeah it isn't like you arent going for it.   But still.    Picks are valuable to round out a roster.  Not a good WR class but 2nd round is always thr money spot especially if WR is lightly drafted in round 1.   I like several WRs in rd 2.  

No I agree packaging a 2nd and 2 3rds isn't trading in going for it.  But those picks would help.  

Just now, lod001 said:

For the jets, it will because doesn't give a fock about playing. He's in the paycheck cashing mode. He has zero fire.

I understand this post.  But I feel he was hurt last season and sick of managment.   They went into last season with 2 rookies and lazard.  Thr TE room pedestrian.    He is terrible at hiding his frustrations.  But I think Jets could get a motivated chip on shoulder Rodgers.  He can still make almost any throw.  

JETS got suckered so hard. Packers had 0 leverage. :lol: 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

If he makes it to 12.

It would be quite something.  King must have some sort of knowledge here.   I havent seen him mock higher than mid 20s with a trade back into the 1st.   He has the tools.  But coming off injury and in such a wonky offense.  He is a perfect couple year project QB.  

Just now, edjr said:

Jets lost their own leverage by swooning over him.  Fly the whole fam out on a jet to meet.  Fanebase and media in frenzy expecting it. They should have said we are interested but we want to see how draft shakes out.  Jets had to of known rodgers is only gonna play for a few teams and Packers werent dealing to the 9ers.   Jets lost their own leverage months ago.   

12 minutes ago, edjr said:

That would be the very definition of the Packers having all the leverage.  :lol:

Jets never had any leverage. At all. Ever.

Hackett was in place.  Won't say they grabbed him as OC to get Rodgers necessarily.   But then they fly out to cali way early to meet.   Rodgers gives them "recommendations" (guys hed like). They go get Lazard.....

They literally said here is our leverage.  Want it?

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

That would be the definition of the Packers having all the leverage.  :lol:

They did until they flew out and asked rodgers what he would like for desert.  But that was months ago.  

55 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

That would be the very definition of the Packers having all the leverage.  :lol:

Jets are clowns. Rodgers was done in GB, yet they paid for him like he was starting next year 🤡

5 minutes ago, edjr said:

Jets are clowns. Rodgers was done in GB, yet they paid for him like he was starting next year 🤡

Well, he is starting for the Jets next year. 

Again, the Jets had no leverage in this - well, once they flew out to him as @listen2me 23 mentioned.  The Packers were more than willing to pay Rodgers to backup Love so they really had all the leverage in the world.

Also: I am not that familiar nor reading off a sheet.  But what did Jets do this offseason?  They went out and grabbed his buddy Lazard? What else?  They tipped their hand in FA.     They didn't know or figured they had this much cap.  They probably penciled in Rodgers' cap hit.   

Packers had them by the balls.  Had "their" QB.    A guy who was the starter no matter what and we will see.    They didnt have a ton of cash nor do much in FA anyway.  

Thry sat back and watched the jets dig their heels in as thry entertained no FA QBs really.  

The Jets stole Rodgers. Packers management got fleeced like they always do. 

They thought they'd get much more for Rodgers and now they're stuck with Love who may be average at best. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, League Champion said:

They thought they'd get much more for Rodgers and now they're stuck with Love who may be average at best. 

You may be the only one in the world who says this.

Jets may have slightly overpaid but they are now relevant. They have a shot and their fans can enjoy a season that actually matters. Even if they don't win it all it will at least be interesting. Packers get some picks to help their rebuild and unload Rodgers. In the end, I think it's a win for both sides.

1 hour ago, League Champion said:

Neither team got fleeced, that's silly. I guess the big get is the 2024 pick. It won't be a high first round pick based on the conditions.

I still don't see why the Packers are being labeled the huge winner here. I guess we'll see how it plays out. Rodgers was never going to not play this year, that's too much money left on the table. Now you're on a full rebuild, good luck. :dunno:

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Reality said:

Neither team got fleeced, that's silly. I guess the big get is the 2024 pick. It won't be a high first round pick based on the conditions.

I still don't see why the Packers are being labeled the huge winner here. I guess we'll see how it plays out. Rodgers was never going to not play this year, that's too much money left on the table. Now you're on a full rebuild, good luck. :dunno:

They went 8-9. They weren't winning with him.  They got tired of each other.  They had a 1st round QB (whatever you want to say about that pick) sitting on thr bench wasting away.  It was time to move on.  

Listen I am not saying Love is going to be great although I have some optimism.   But what is this full on rebuild mode nonsense? What does that mean? They went 8-9 last year.  They already have the QB they are going with.  They drafted 2 WRs last year.  They have lots of "talent" on the roster.  They do have holes, like most any team at this stage.   

But what exactly do you mean they are now in full on rebuild?   Do you just mean a reset at QB? 

I don’t hate the Jets as I once did (Testaverde years) so I will like to see how this plays out. 

32 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

They went 8-9. They weren't winning with him.  They got tired of each other.  They had a 1st round QB (whatever you want to say about that pick) sitting on thr bench wasting away.  It was time to move on.  

Listen I am not saying Love is going to be great although I have some optimism.   But what is this full on rebuild mode nonsense? What does that mean? They went 8-9 last year.  They already have the QB they are going with.  They drafted 2 WRs last year.  They have lots of "talent" on the roster.  They do have holes, like most any team at this stage.   

But what exactly do you mean they are now in full on rebuild?   Do you just mean a reset at QB? 

I've read Rodgers didn't show up to camp last year in good shape, add to that the new WR's, and him running LeFleur's hybrid offense more to his terms and last year was inevitable. So let's hope history repeats itself and the Jets pick is a high one. 

My guess though is he works his azz off, like he did when Love was drafted, to prove the doubters wrong and the Jets and him have a good year and the Packers end up with a lower pick. 

Generally, if a player went through GB, had a solid career, I root for them to be successful wherever they go, but after the last few years, I'm completely over Rodgers, his drama, and his passive-aggressive little games. Glad someone else has to deal with it now.  Secretly I was hoping Belichick would have stole him from the Jets---that would have been great, Aaron playing for the my way or the highway coach.  

34 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

The offense is terrible, that's 'with' a HoF'er at the helm. How do you possibly think it's not a rebuild? Where are the weapons? The Packers simply don't have them, now we're going with an unproven QB to lead a bottom tier unit on offense? That's the worst group of talent offensively, in the division. Maybe better than Chicago? That's a strong maybe...

It's a recipe for disaster. 

28 minutes ago, Reality said:

The offense is terrible, that's 'with' a HoF'er at the helm. How do you possibly think it's not a rebuild? Where are the weapons? The Packers simply don't have them, now we're going with an unproven QB to lead a bottom tier unit on offense? That's the worst group of talent offensively, in the division. Maybe better than Chicago? That's a strong maybe...

It's a recipe for disaster. 

I guess we have different definitions of rebuild.  They already have the QB they are going with so not searching for one at moment.   A rebuild to me is tearing it down and getting picks and starting over.  Don't really think the Packers are tearing anything down.  If Love isn't good then they won't be very relevant.   If he is good they will be relevant.  There is no real rebuilding going on here.  

But we may have different definitions of the phrase.  

4 hours ago, League Champion said:

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

You may be the only one in the world who says this.

I like LC, but nobody is saying the Jets won this trade, much less saying they "fleeced" the Packers.  And I mean nobody (but LC).

Of course, maybe LC is just being sarcastic?

Fun facts: 

Love is a half year older than Will Levis.

Love is 10 months younger than Hendan Hooker.  

16 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Peter King has Hooker 12th to Hou.  @WhiteWonder

and that could very well be, but I've seen plenty of people that have him going to the Raiders either trading back into the late 1st or taking him in the early 2nd. There are people who don't even have him going in the second. 

My gut says he will be gone (because he should be) but if for whatever reason he falls, I sincerely hope the Jets consider taking him with an eye toward a longer window of competitiveness. That's what smart franchises do. Yes, I understand the Jets have had a 10+ year drought and priority 1 is being a contender... but I think you mentally check that box as soon as you completed the Rodgers deal, if you truly believe in what you're getting with him... and obviously they do.  What does a rookie WR do for Rodgers? He historically does not want to deal with young, inexperienced players. It took too long for him to click with Watson last year (not blaming either one, just making a point). It would be tough, as a fan, to watch them take a rookie receiver and know they have to hit an absolute home run or the pick probably wont be impactful until 2024... then Rodgers is gone in 2025 and who is throwing to this rookie and G-Wilson? 

3 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Fun facts: 

Love is a half year older than Will Levis.

Love is 10 months younger than Hendan Hooker.  

And while a fun fact, none of that really matters. Gotta identify a QB who can lead an NFL team and reach elite levels first, then if he happens to be on the younger side it's icing on the cake. 

Of course it goes without saying that a younger prospect is generally viewed as having more upside, but you get my point.

I will say, the nice thing for the Packers with Love is that he has had some time to sit and learn already and is still young. It's nice to have but if he can't take the needed steps, it wont ultimately matter. 

Part of my hopefulness with Hooker falling is his age and being an older prospect. But i've been hoping for him to the Jets in round 3 (and then round 2) for a while now. Before his draft stock started rising back to where it likely should be. 

Should have included this in my other response to you but I think he makes perfect sense for the Texans if they want to go a different direction at 2

18 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Hackett was in place.  Won't say they grabbed him as OC to get Rodgers necessarily.   But then they fly out to cali way early to meet.   Rodgers gives them "recommendations" (guys hed like). They go get Lazard.....

They literally said here is our leverage.  Want it?

They also brought Carr to multiple lunches/dinners near their training facility. Flying out to meet or flying guys in to meet is not the be all/ end all in terms of leverage. 

Im not even paying attention to chromedome because he’s spouting nonsense for the sake of it. Any level headed fan understands the points I’ve already made regarding the leverage the Jets did have. 

Rodgers will be better than last year were he was playing with a rotating offensive line, young recievers and a broken thumb which hampered him.  He will be motivated to prove doubters wrong.  In the end he will come up short, again, as the Jets are still not in the class of the Chiefs, Bengals, or Bills, and will fallin  around the Chargers, Ravens and Dolphins.  Then comes the drama season after the season.  Good luck with that.

The Packers have a running game, an offensive line that is good when healthy, a decent defense featuring some very good pieces. Llove will run Lefluer's offense and will be coached up by Tom Clements.  For those aaht don't know Rodgers only Superbowl came when he listened to Clements.  Then Rodgers got a big  head, fell in love with spending the whole game trying to get a free play off of the snap count, and fell in love with the improbable 40 yard completion over the sure 7 yard completion for a new set of downs. 

The packers will be fine.  Love will grow, and who knows where the Packers will go in a year or two once the Q.B. and his friends are not taking up a disproportionate share of the salary cap.

The only down side is they did this trade a year too late.  Last year they would have got a hall that makes the Russel Wilson trade pale in comparison.  They could have gotten a John Hadl or Herschell Walker haul last year.

3 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Rodgers will be better than last year were he was playing with a rotating offensive line, young recievers and a broken thumb which hampered him.  He will be motivated to prove doubters wrong.  In the end he will come up short, again, as the Jets are still not in the class of the Chiefs, Bengals, or Bills, and will fallin  around the Chargers, Ravens and Dolphins.  Then comes the drama season after the season.  Good luck with that.

The Packers have a running game, an offensive line that is good when healthy, a decent defense featuring some very good pieces. Llove will run Lefluer's offense and will be coached up by Tom Clements.  For those aaht don't know Rodgers only Superbowl came when he listened to Clements.  Then Rodgers got a big  head, fell in love with spending the whole game trying to get a free play off of the snap count, and fell in love with the improbable 40 yard completion over the sure 7 yard completion for a new set of downs. 

The packers will be fine.  Love will grow, and who knows where the Packers will go in a year or two once the Q.B. and his friends are not taking up a disproportionate share of the salary cap.

The only down side is they did this trade a year too late.  Last year they would have got a hall that makes the Russel wilson trade pale in comparison.  They could have gotten a John Hadl or Herschell Walker hall last year.

FO probably wanted to.  But didn't have the balls to attempt it after 2 MVP seasons in a row.  

3 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

The narrative has been so spot on.  What a terrible teammate and person.  

I've come around to your thinking about him as a teammate, I was wrong earlier when I didn't think he was a good leader.

I think I'm more bothered by him as an employee, the guy who on the way out the door was complaining about the need for direct communication with management has been transparently passive-aggressive in his relationship to his bosses.  The entire Jake Kumerow thing comes to mind. He wanted him on the team, makes a comment to the press that he's having a great camp...then cried when he got cut that his opinion wasn't valued. Find out he had not talks with Gutey, didn't approach him, just the one comment to the press.  

For him to complain as much as he did about communication, it really rang so hollow to me. 

Regardless, he provided plenty of great moments on the field. One of the all-time great Packers. 

17 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

I've come around to your thinking about him as a teammate, I was wrong earlier when I didn't think he was a good leader.

I think I'm more bothered by him as an employee, the guy who on the way out the door was complaining about the need for direct communication with management has been transparently passive-aggressive in his relationship to his bosses.  The entire Jake Kumerow thing comes to mind. He wanted him on the team, makes a comment to the press that he's having a great camp...then cried when he got cut that his opinion wasn't valued. Find out he had not talks with Gutey, didn't approach him, just the one comment to the press.  

For him to complain as much as he did about communication, it really rang so hollow to me. 

Regardless, he provided plenty of great moments on the field. One of the all-time great Packers. 

Oh he is passive aggressive.  I think his frustration and pettiness was because of his rift with management.   How they built the team.  Picking Love obviously and basically saying you may be washed up....so he goes out and wins 2 MVPs out of spite.  I think hr always has a chip on his shoulder and sometimes that got in the way of chemistry.   But from all accounts 98% of his teammates past and present have nothing but great things to say  about how he treated them. 

Packers are an organization that wants to maintain.  Small market.  They don't want a dark era of nothingness.  They would rather maintain than win 1.  With an aging QB who is trying to cement his legacy that is going to rub the wrong way.  As he saw countless Defensive picks year in and year out only to obtain a middling unit probably was frustrating.   

He sat and ttashed Amari Rodgers basically.  Or at least dismissed him last offseason.   Yet coaches probably kept trotting him out to return because he was a 3rd round pick.   They finally cut bait because he was awful and go to Nixon and imagine that.  Best returner in the league.  Aaron was spot on many times and they wouldn't take his opinion that serious.  Even though he is a HOF long in the tooth QB who knows a thing or 2.  How pathetic was it that it took them so long to quit having Amari return anything?  Mind numbing.   

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

Oh he is passive aggressive.  I think his frustration and pettiness was because of his rift with management.   How they built the team.  Picking Love obviously and basically saying you may be washed up....so he goes out and wins 2 MVPs out of spite.  I think hr always has a chip on his shoulder and sometimes that got in the way of chemistry.   But from all accounts 98% of his teammates past and present have nothing but great things to say  about how he treated them. 

Packers are an organization that wants to maintain.  Small market.  They don't want a dark era of nothingness.  They would rather maintain than win 1.  With an aging QB who is trying to cement his legacy that is going to rub the wrong way.  As he daw countless Defensive picks year in and year out only to obtain a middling unit probably was frustrating.   

He sat and ttashed Amari Rodgers basically.  Or at least dismissed him last offseason.   Yet coaches probably kept trotting him out to return because he was a 3rd round pick.   They finally vut bait because he was awful and go to Nixon and imagine that.  Best returner in the league.  Aaron was spot on many times and they wouldn't take his opinion that serious.  Even though he id a HOF long in the tooth QB who knows a thing or 2.  How pathetic was it that it took them so long to quit having Amari return anything?  Mind numbing.   

Every week they trotted him out there was :shocking:

What amazes me the 2nd most about Nixon after what he does when he returns the ball is; how did it take until week 8 of his 4th year before a coach discovered he was a great returner.  Sure, he was a great gunner and so Biasca didn't want to lose him from that spot, but geez, the guy is the best I've seen(small sample) since Hester.

8 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Every week they trotted him out there was :shocking:

What amazes me the 2nd most about Nixon after what he does when he returns the ball is; how did it take until week 8 of his 4th year before a coach discovered he was a great returner.  Sure, he was a great gunner and so Biasca didn't want to lose him from that spot, but geez, the guy is the best I've seen(small sample) since Hester.

No flocking shiit!!!!!

Per NBC Sports Edge (Rotoworld)

Packers converted $58.3 million of Aaron Rodgers' 2023 option into 2024 salary prior to trading him to the Jets.

As reported by ESPN's Dan Graziano, the conversion means Rodgers will earn $1.165 million this season with the Jets, and will be in line to earn $107.55 million next year. That's not a typo. While obviously a huge number, the Jets will look to restructure Rodgers' contract after this season, ensuring he gets the money he's owed while also working out a deal

😂