League Champion

Donald Trump claims he will be arrested Tuesday in Manhattan probe, calls for protests

4 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Well obviously I don’t agree with them on any of that but they have the right to believe what they want and spend what they want. 

As well as receive the criticism for donating money to a crooked billionaire who has plenty of resources to pay for his defense - and has said as much in the past - instead of the their local food bank, women's shelter, Red Cross, Salvation Army, American Cancer Society, United Way and myriad other causes far more worthy than this corrupt, self-serving clown.

23 hours ago, thegeneral said:

I can cut and paste the arguments from the DA, as you can from various legal folks. The answer is it is being determined in court.

I am saying this statute of limitations argument that is being used to toss it out seems a reach. But that too will be determined.

What do you think about my opinion of why that isn’t a good argument for someone to dismiss allegations?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bragg-violated-trumps-6th-amendment-rights-refusing-disclose-underlying-crime-legal-expert

Bragg violated Trump's 6th Amendment rights in refusing to disclose underlying crime: legal expert

The Sixth Amendment guarantees defendants will be 'informed of the nature and cause of the accusation'

7 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/bragg-violated-trumps-6th-amendment-rights-refusing-disclose-underlying-crime-legal-expert

Bragg violated Trump's 6th Amendment rights in refusing to disclose underlying crime: legal expert

The Sixth Amendment guarantees defendants will be 'informed of the nature and cause of the accusation'

I think you left out some words there.

5 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

Seems awfully unlikely. If Bragg isn’t required by New York law to disclose this, then it’s that law, and not Bragg, who would be at fault. Which would mean that the state of New York at some point passed a law in violation of the 6th Amendment which has never been challenged until now. Which is why it’s unlikely. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Seems awfully unlikely. If Bragg isn’t required by New York law to disclose this, then it’s that law, and not Bragg, who would be at fault. Which would mean that the state of New York at some point passed a law in violation of the 6th Amendment which has never been challenged until now. Which is why it’s unlikely. 

States cannot pass laws that violate our constitutional rights.

1 minute ago, Baker Boy said:

The article you quoted said “may” have done this and then a bunch of breathless opinions. 

That is a legal opinion. Everyone has one! 

Just now, thegeneral said:

The article you quoted said “may” have done this and then a bunch of breathless opinions. 

Yeah, and also Gregg Jarrett is an idiot. So there’s that too. 

3 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

I don’t know who he is but if he’s on Hannity it’s not a great start 😀

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Strike said:

Damn, that HACK Right Wing news source the NY Times really eviscerated Alvin Bragg and this case:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/05/opinion/trump-bragg-indictment.html

Too bad they're not considered a "credible, MSM news source." 

It’s a guest opinion. One of the reasons that the New York Times and Washington Post are credible news sources is that they regularly offer opinions contrary to their editorial board. If you can find a conservative news source that does this, I will be impressed. I’m unaware of any. 

I’m less impressed by the article because it repeats the same 3 talking points we’ve heard from most conservatives since Tuesday. The statue of liabilities is a weak argument I’m pretty sure won’t go anywhere. The fact that Bragg didn’t name the underlying crime is worrisome to me but not enough to make this case an “embarrassment.” The difficulty of turning misdemeanors into felonies will be Bragg’s biggest challenge. 

1 hour ago, Baker Boy said:

They can pass them.  It is just inadvisable that they do as they are subject to being stgricken once a constitutional challenge to them is mounted.  It happens frequently that states get things wrong.  In the present instance defendant trump is entitled to know the nature of the allegations in sufficient time to mount a credible defense.

24 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

It’s a guest opinion. One of the reasons that the New York Times and Washington Post are credible news sources is that they regularly offer opinions contrary to their editorial board. If you can find a conservative news source that does this, I will be impressed. I’m unaware of any. 

I’m less impressed by the article because it repeats the same 3 talking points we’ve heard from most conservatives since Tuesday. The statue of liabilities is a weak argument I’m pretty sure won’t go anywhere. The fact that Bragg didn’t name the underlying crime is worrisome to me but not enough to make this case an “embarrassment.” The difficulty of turning misdemeanors into felonies will be Bragg’s biggest challenge. 

His problem is that he has stacked those three problems one on top of another and then he will base substantial portions of the base on which he stacked these three weak structural pieces on the testoimony of a convicted felon.  He is building from a weak base, through three infirm connections towards a novel conclusion.

28 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

They can pass them.  It is just inadvisable that they do as they are subject to being stgricken once a constitutional challenge to them is mounted.  It happens frequently that states get things wrong.  In the present instance defendant trump is entitled to know the nature of the allegations in sufficient time to mount a credible defense.

Do you have an example?

1 hour ago, Engorgeous George said:

The DA openly said that he does not have to do this. He wasn’t hiding it and was one of the few questions he answered at the press conference. 

Maybe he is really bad at being a DA and the PR for lack of a better term that would come with this case but I assume that what he did is a normal course of action and he choose to answer that question on purpose.

I think Democrats are missing out on something of an opportunity hidden in all this.

Why not call out Trump for being provably inept.   He paid people in 2017 to influence the 2016 election.  They should use that.....to show he is just stupid....:dunno:

Just now, RLLD said:

I think Democrats are missing out on something of an opportunity hidden in all this.

Why not call out Trump for being provably inept.   He paid people in 2017 to influence the 2016 election.  They should use that.....to show he is just stupid....:dunno:

Umm no. His payments in 2017 were a reimbursement to Cohen, for payments made prior to the election. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Umm no. His payments in 2017 were a reimbursement to Cohen, for payments made prior to the election. 

No, they were payments in 2017..... so that won't work.

We have more correlation on the Hunter laptop than that....yet you are only too happy to stretch the connection where it suits you.  If you want to try this kind of gynastics on this, you cannot pretend away the Hunter laptop, and remain philosophically honest....

Just look at the lengths liberals are willing to twist the legal system to do little more than denigrate this guy publicly.....while none will give that laptop content the time of day.....pretty amazing. 

2 hours ago, Baker Boy said:

Do you have an example?

My apologies for the delayed reply.  I would simply refer you to the docket of the U.S. supreme court or your state's supreme court.  You will find plenty of examples there. That is one of their cental functions.

• Haha 1

If this judge donated money through his fixer, then repaid him, then wrote it off as a biz expense, while lying about doing it and killing the story via his connections at The NY Times then it would be a perfect transaction! 

😂

5 hours ago, RLLD said:

Why not call out Trump for being provably inept.

Have you been in a fuking coma for the past 7 years? Pretty much my entire posting history here has been this.

10 hours ago, Fnord said:

Have you been in a fuking coma for the past 7 years? Pretty much my entire posting history here has been this.

Understood.  But he was the opposite of inept, Biden is the inept one and we need not look much further than outcomes to see it.

Satirically, Trump is being charged for writing checks in 2017 to affect an electionin 2016. Also satirically, he should have just worked his contacts in DOJ to drum up a bunch of former agents to declare it Russian propoganda.

The point being, they are all really not different from each other.

When you threaten the powerful, they will react with the quiet violence afforded to them through governmental agencies....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baker Boy said:

NY judge in Trump hush-money case gave $15 to Biden in 2020, FEC records indicate

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ny-judge-trump-hush-money-case-gave-15-biden-2020-fec-records-indicate

Is this for real? 

I was thinking it would be something like $5000 or more. Not that even that amount would have been a big deal, but $15? 

26 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Is this for real? 

I was thinking it would be something like $5000 or more. Not that even that amount would have been a big deal, but $15? 

It does seem a benign amount.  some may argue that any amount indicates bias, but this is not strong support.  I wonder whether His Honor made other donations to other campaigns or causes.  What if he gave a similar amount to some Republican candidate, any Republican candidate, what would that do to the equation?  Do we maybe need a full list of all of his contributions, and what about his wife, are hers relevant?

To me pursuit of this seems a waste of time, a waste of breath.Now if there were some indication that some Democratic Superpac donated money to the Judge's campaign, then I see an issue.  But this de minimus contribution, no.  I can't be troubled to bunch my panties for less than 4 figures.

If NY argues that Trump didn't live there for a period, I think it would be funny if Trump sued NY to get back any taxes he paid them during that time.  They could call Bragg as a witness in support of Trump.  :thumbsup:

6 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

If NY argues that Trump didn't live there for a period, I think it would be funny if Trump sued NY to get back any taxes he paid them during that time.  They could call Bragg as a witness in support of Trump.  :thumbsup:

According to Trump he earned no money during his time as President. His donated his salary to charity and received no money from the Trump organization. So I don’t think he paid any taxes. 

2 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

According to Trump he earned no money during his time as President. His donated his salary to charity and received no money from the Trump organization. So I don’t think he paid any taxes. 

Wrong. It just happened, the Al Capones vault of tax returns coming out. Keep spouting your lies. 

• Thanks 1