Sign in to follow this  
The Real timschochet

Florida passes 6 week abortion ban.

4 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Right. So it takes 6 weeks to know if you might be pregnant, even though you just did the one thing that can make you pregnant the night before. Of course idiots will pull the rare occurrence to make their point. So if the basis of the argument is that the woman may not know so six weeks is too short, the ones that do know within six weeks have enough time. Got it. 

I repeat:

Tell me you don't know about a woman's body without saying you don't know. 

Also I mean birth control isn't infallible. A person above the age of say like 21 (conservatively) should know this. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Whores are outraged. 

This is the root of it all, this is why most people want abortion illegal.  They believe that women are wh0res, they shouldn't be having sex, and if they do and get pregnant, then they should be punished by having to raise that child.

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

if they do and get pregnant, then they should be punished by having to raise that child.

Punished????? 

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

This is the root of it all, this is why most people want abortion illegal.  They believe that women are wh0res, they shouldn't be having sex, and if they do and get pregnant, then they should be punished by having to raise that child.

The lower the body count the less outrage there is, fact 

It’s amazing. I can say “rare occurrence”, acknowledging that in certain situations a woman may not know she is pregnant within six weeks, and then I’m told I don’t know how womens bodies work. Someone said it earlier, you spend half your time having to explain simple shite around here. 

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

You think the mother should be able to abort a baby as long as the baby is dependent on her and once it comes out then it can't be killed because someone else will be forced to keep it alive if the mother abandons it and somehow in your mind that baby isn't dependent on someone anymore. 

The bolded is an accurate representation of my opinion, yes.   No baby has survived being born prior to 21 weeks, so up until then it is entirely dependent on THE MOTHER.  Once a baby is born and alive it needs a person, but it doesn't have to be the mother.

9 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

They don't have to raise it.  Just stop it.  There are plenty of options to carry the baby to term but not raise it.   I don't know of ONE jurisdiction that REQUIRES a woman to raise a child.  And I wish that any woman who doesn't want to raise a child doesn't raise that child. 

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

The bolded is an accurate representation of my opinion, yes.   No baby has survived being born prior to 21 weeks, so up until then it is entirely dependent on THE MOTHER.  Once a baby is born and alive it needs a person, but it doesn't have to be the mother.

So it's ok to kill any child that is dependent on someone to keep them alive. 

Got it. 

10 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

It’s amazing. I can say “rare occurrence”, acknowledging that in certain situations a woman may not know she is pregnant within six weeks, and then I’m told I don’t know how womens bodies work. Someone said it earlier, you spend half your time having to explain simple shite around here. 

"Right. So it takes 6 weeks to know if you might be pregnant, even though you just did the one thing that can make you pregnant the night before."

You really think that a woman knows she's pregnant the morning after she has sex?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Strike said:

They don't have to raise it.  Just stop it.  There are plenty of options to carry the baby to term but not raise it.   I don't know of ONE jurisdiction that REQUIRES a woman to raise a child.  And I wish that any woman who doesn't want to raise a child doesn't raise that child. 

If you listen to the rhetoric, it's all about wh0res, sleeping around, being irresponsible, being dumb, etc.  This is coming from the magatards predominantly.

And let's not pretend that there is lack of kids in foster care either.

5 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

"Right. So it takes 6 weeks to know if you might be pregnant, even though you just did the one thing that can make you pregnant the night before."

You really think that a woman knows she's pregnant the morning after she has sex?

No. But she should be on the lookout for it. The possibility of her being pregnant just jumped significantly. I also said six weeks is too short and I didn’t need to go to the rare occurrence to make my point. You decided to make your point based on the rare occurrence.  As usual, you see what you want to see. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

No. But she should be on the lookout for it. The possibility of her being pregnant just jumped significantly. I also said six weeks is too short and I didn’t need to go to the rare occurrence to make my point. You decided to make your point based on the rare occurrence.  As usual, you see what you want to see. 

It isn't a "rare occurrence". 5 million women have something like PCOS which is one thing that can mess with menstrual cycles.

A period being irregular means you could have it at 4 weeks, then 8, then 9, then 6, then 10. And most women don't know they are pregnant until they are weeks 4-7 after conception. But that is for normal period cycles.

You are so out to lunch on this. Just stop. 

4 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

If you listen to the rhetoric, it's all about wh0res, sleeping around, being irresponsible, being dumb, etc.  This is coming from the magatards predominantly.

And let's not pretend that there is lack of kids in foster care either.

I don't think there are issues finding people to adopt newborns.  Most kids in foster care are given up and/or taken by the state later.    Regardless, the issue we were discussing was whether women who carry a baby to term are REQUIRED to raise it.  Let me refresh your memory on what I responded to, so your goalpost moving is obvious:

and if they do and get pregnant, then they should be punished by having to raise that child.

40 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Gutterboy was dropped on his head as an infant.  Tim too. 

• Thanks 1

93% of abortions occur within the first trimester, before 13 weeks. 6% occur within weeks 14-20. 1% at week 21 or after. Most laws that were in place during the Roe v Wade years put the limit on abortions at viability outside the womb, which had generally been accepted as 24 weeks. 99% of abortions take place before that.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2023/01/11/what-the-data-says-about-abortion-in-the-u-s-2/

The reasons most often cited for delay until after 21 weeks are inability to access abortion care earlier in pregnancy, fetal anomaly (often contributing to later abortions due to difficulty of diagnosis), and health of the mother.

The 6 week ban was passed for one reason and one reason alone: when the Florida legislature passed the 15 week ban DeSantis signed last year, they seemingly didn't know that it would prevent less than 10% of abortions in the state.

DeSantis was screwed either way: Don't sign it and risk the wrath of the MAGA primary voters, or sign it and kiss his chances of any moderate votes in the general election goodbye, although his insistence on going all in on culture wars without a clear agenda beyond that pretty much ensures that outcome anyway.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GutterBoy said:

You do realize that most if not all of those responses are troll posts from right wingers, right?

So over half of the 13k responses that you read were trolls?  Amazing

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

So over half of the 13k responses that you read were trolls?  Amazing

I read about a dozen responses and only saw one true crazy liberal, which is deeper than you looked into it.

It saddens me that my party doesn't understand how to win.  Progressives get it, perhaps out of necessity.  You can't make big radical changes; you may advocate for them, but you take one small step at a time.  But you can't just take a sledgehammer to the system and expect no pushback.  For instance:

15 minutes ago, WatsonRules said:

93% of abortions occur within the first trimester, before 13 weeks. 6% occur within weeks 14-20. 1% at week 21 or after. Most laws that were in place during the Roe v Wade years put the limit on abortions at viability outside the womb, which had generally been accepted as 24 weeks. 99% of abortions take place before that.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2023/01/11/what-the-data-says-about-abortion-in-the-u-s-2/

The reasons most often cited for delay until after 21 weeks are inability to access abortion care earlier in pregnancy, fetal anomaly (often contributing to later abortions due to difficulty of diagnosis), and health of the mother.

The 6 week ban was passed for one reason and one reason alone: when the Florida legislature passed the 15 week ban DeSantis signed last year, they seemingly didn't know that it would prevent less than 10% of abortions in the state.

DeSantis was screwed either way: Don't sign it and risk the wrath of the MAGA primary voters, or sign it and kiss his chances of any moderate votes in the general election goodbye, although his insistence on going all in on culture wars without a clear agenda beyond that pretty much ensures that outcome anyway.

Great post, welcome to our site.  The legislature should have been satisfied with 15 for a few years.  Let it become the new 20, then you can maybe change to 10 or 12. 

But no, they think hey, let's just go for a ridiculously low number.  In the short term you may save a few baby lives.  But in the longer term you've emboldened the young female mostly white demographic to come out in droves and vote you out on a single issue (which we discussed last year is what happened in the 2022 midterms).  So then the new legislature puts it back to 20 and you've actually lost ground.

I would love to see a world where elective abortions are very rare and where we as a society value new life instead of seeing it as an inconvenience.  The creating and raising of our young is, evolutionarily, why we and every living organism exists.  But you can't just change society overnight.

29 minutes ago, WatsonRules said:

But if they are "MAGA primary voters," how likely were they to vote for him anyway against Trump?  I agree it was a bit of a lose/lose, but I think he chose the path of more losing.

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

But if they are "MAGA primary voters," how likely were they to vote for him anyway against Trump?  I agree it was a bit of a lose/lose, but I think he chose the path of more losing.

I think there's a fair proportion of MAGA voters looking for an alternative, just like moderate Republicans. DeSantis is just trying to keep himself alive, and primary voters of both parties skew more to the fringe. 

Is it a bad bet? Sure, but what isn't a bad bet for DeSantis at this point?

27 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

It saddens me that my party doesn't understand how to win.  Progressives get it, perhaps out of necessity.  You can't make big radical changes; you may advocate for them, but you take one small step at a time.  But you can't just take a sledgehammer to the system and expect no pushback.  For instance:

Great post, welcome to our site.  The legislature should have been satisfied with 15 for a few years.  Let it become the new 20, then you can maybe change to 10 or 12. 

But no, they think hey, let's just go for a ridiculously low number.  In the short term you may save a few baby lives.  But in the longer term you've emboldened the young female mostly white demographic to come out in droves and vote you out on a single issue (which we discussed last year is what happened in the 2022 midterms).  So then the new legislature puts it back to 20 and you've actually lost ground.

I would love to see a world where elective abortions are very rare and where we as a society value new life instead of seeing it as an inconvenience.  The creating and raising of our young is, evolutionarily, why we and every living organism exists.  But you can't just change society overnight.

When my progressive friends were lamenting the fact that Biden was outpolling Bernie in the 2020 primaries and vowing to never vote for Biden, the one question I asked them was whether they wanted some of their objectives moved forward or none of them. 

Substitute Universal Healthcare for abortion and the situation would be the same.

46 minutes ago, WatsonRules said:

When my progressive friends were lamenting the fact that Biden was outpolling Bernie in the 2020 primaries and vowing to never vote for Biden, the one question I asked them was whether they wanted some of their objectives moved forward or none of them. 

Substitute Universal Healthcare for abortion and the situation would be the same.

Welcome. You seem even keeled and discerning, and notably did not make an attack on anyone in the posts I've read. GTFO now before we destroy your sensibilities. 

Seriously though, we need a lot more of that around here. Hope you stick around. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jonmx said:

Not exactly.  But most, currently at 60 percent, of all Republicans do favor banning abortions except in the cases of rape, incest, life of mother.  I am not sure what is so controversial about this.  

Still not sure that figure is correct. You’ve been asked to produce that number and you’ve linked different info instead. Also you’ve backed off your previous claim that 6 weeks represents a compromise that most Americans would support. That’s nonsense. 

But-even if you’re right that 60% of Republicans support this (it’s possible) that number is going to get you killed come election time- it already has. 

DeSantis signed the bill at midnight last night. Released a short statement. No signing party no publicity. 

He gave an hour long speech today at Liberty University. Never mentioned it. 

5 hours ago, jonmx said:

Here is a link for your dumbass.   

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2022/06/13/about-six-in-ten-americans-say-abortion-should-be-legal-in-all-or-most-cases-2/

In the latest survey, Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents are 42 percentage points more likely than Republicans and Republican leaners to say abortion should be legal in all or most cases (80% vs. 38%).

72% of conservative republicans believe it should be illegal in all or most cases. 

Let’s all have another laugh at @jonmx who thinks that someone saying they don’t think “abortion should be legal in all or most cases,” thinks that means they believe abortion should be illegal in all or most cases 

If the choice is 6 weeks or abortion up until or even after birth than I’m choosing 6 weeks. And if you don’t you’re a sick Fock.  

1 hour ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

If the choice is 6 weeks or abortion up until or even after birth than I’m choosing 6 weeks. And if you don’t you’re a sick Fock.  

This is the weirdest anti choice talking point. Abortion after birth literally makes no sense. 

8 minutes ago, WatsonRules said:

This is the weirdest anti choice talking point. Abortion after birth literally makes no sense. 

I wouldn’t call it weird. I’d call it murder. Up to you though.  I guess you’re ok with it. 

There are abortion techniques that have been  inaccurately described by anti choice groups as killing a baby after birth and this has been hysterically blown up to suggest that a woman can give birth, change her mind , and an abortion doctor will kill the baby. 

this doesn’t happen 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t call it weird. I’d call it murder. Up to you though.  I guess you’re ok with it. 

I’m ok with a woman choosing to have an abortion.

Just now, WatsonRules said:

I’m ok with a woman choosing to have an abortion.

Forget after birth. You’re good with up until birth? It’s not a baby then? When is it? 

And remember, it was the left that brought the case before the SC that led to Roe being overturned. 

6 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Forget after birth. You’re good with up until birth? It’s not a baby then? When is it? 

I’m fine with whatever a woman in consultation with her doctor chooses to do about her pregnancy. 

3 minutes ago, WatsonRules said:

I’m fine with whatever a woman in consultation with her doctor chooses to do about her pregnancy. 

Well, you’re a sick person with zero morals. I’d like to make you watch an abortion of a fully formed fetus. 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Well, you’re a sick person with zero morals. I’d like to make you watch an abortion of a fully formed fetus. 

Ok

You seem a little high strung 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WatsonRules said:

You seem a little high strung 

I’m good. You seem disgusting.