Sign in to follow this  
MDC

I just served on a jury for the first time.

It was a 2-day civil case over a minor ($50k) business dispute. Based on this experience, god help anyone who is on trial for a serious crime. Some of these jurors are dumb as a bag of hammers. 

:doh: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I served on my first jury about 5 years ago.  Pervert illegal alien.  I never found out the sentence.  Hope it was a long one. 

• Sad 1

Liberal idiots on juries. "I have one question about this trial, did he or did he not vote for Trump?" 

• Haha 1

I throw them in the trash when they come.

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

Liberal idiots on juries. "I have one question about this trial, did he or did he not vote for Trump?" 

You should maybe take 1-2 threads off per day.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I throw them in the trash when they come.

I forgot to show my first time and they sent another summons threatening a fine and/or jail time. :doh: 

• Sad 1

Just now, MDC said:

I forgot to show my first time and they sent another summons threatening a fine and/or jail time. :doh: 

I throw them in the trash too. After a while they quit sending them. 

1 minute ago, MDC said:

You should maybe take 1-2 threads off per day.

You should hide away in a bunker until you die.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

I throw them in the trash too. After a while they quit sending them. 

I just sent an email to the address provided claiming fake medical reasons and the actual judge replied that I was excused. 

A 3 second email rather than all the drama and follow ups.

I served on 2 juries.

The first was a civil case.  Some chick was suing a driver who hit her while she was crossing the street.  The chick was a BS artist and claimed all kinds of pain and suffering.  When we went to deliberation, it was clear she deserved something, and the first number thrown out by another jurer was a million dollars.  I flipped out and said it should be more like $20k.  After some back and forth, we ended up around $50k.

The second case had to do with a gun charge and assault.  The prosecutors case was BS, saw right through it, but the jury didn't care and just wanted to put the guy away.  I argued for the defendant, and slowly started getting people on my side.  Then we were locked.  It was a Friday afternoon, and Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on NJ, set to hit Monday morning, and I told the jury, "I will never vote to convict this dude, and if you 3 hold the same conviction as me, then we'll be right back here Monday morning in a Hurricane staring at each other all day.  You really wanna do that?", and then they backed down and we acquitted.  Dude flashed me a look, I was like I got you bro.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, MDC said:

In AZ we used to be able to claim a financial hardship. I was in sales of large, complex equipment; I made a handful of sales per year, but they were bigly, so I claimed that I could be in a jury and miss out on a significant financial gain.  Technically it was true, and it worked to get me off a few times, then they stopped sending them to me until...

Fast forward about 20 years, and they changed it so that you need to get your company to vouch for your excuse, and my company said fock that.  I actually had to go to the courthouse, but thankfully didn't even go into a selection room.  I've never been in one.

These days I have a laryngectomy so I'm pretty sure if I got called into a selection room I could gargle my way into an excusal.  :D 

47 minutes ago, MDC said:

It was a 2-day civil case over a minor ($50k) business dispute. Based on this experience, god help anyone who is on trial for a serious. Some of these jurors are dumb as a bag of hammers. 

:doh: 

Just think about the the average intelligence of those you see every day.  Now imagine 50% are below that level  :(

7 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I served on 2 juries.

The first was a civil case.  Some chick was suing a driver who hit her while she was crossing the street.  The chick was a BS artist and claimed all kinds of pain and suffering.  When we went to deliberation, it was clear she deserved something, and the first number thrown out by another jurer was a million dollars.  I flipped out and said it should be more like $20k.  After some back and forth, we ended up around $50k.

I've only served on one and it was literally almost exactly this (except 2 cars), although I didn't flip out.  The GC would enjoy that the at fault driver was an uninsured illegal immigrant.    Although IIRC he was driving the car of a family member who was legal and had insurance, and I think they covered it anyway.

1 minute ago, TimHauck said:

I've only served on one and it was literally almost exactly this (except 2 cars), although I didn't flip out.  The GC would enjoy that the at fault driver was an uninsured illegal immigrant.    Although IIRC he was driving the car of a family member who was legal and had insurance, and I think they covered it anyway.

Illegal is illegal dumbass. 

48 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

You should hide away in a bunker until you die.

The Lord will keep you from all harm- He will watch over your life , the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.  Psalm 121:7-8.  You are without question a devoted catholic.  Make them proud.  

Amen.  

1 minute ago, weepaws said:

The Lord will keep you from all harm- He will watch over your life , the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.  Psalm 121:7-8.  You are without question a devoted catholic.  Make them proud.  

Amen.  

You need a vow of online silence.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

You need a vow of online silence.

Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes.  Ephesians 6:11.  

The dead popes are rolling in hell waiting for you, you go you devoted catholic, make them proud.  Amen. 

Twice. I normally get excused as I know the system. Lawyers, cops, all emergency responders, and insurance. One was a civil claim about a slip and fall in Walmart. Little known fact about them, they fight every single lawsuit and bring them to trial instead of a settlement. Attorneys don’t take them and move along.

Next one was a criminal felony charge dealing with drugs and a gun thrown off a second story balcony. She knew she was biscuits and pleaded. 

Now I throw them away. I was asked to do be on a federal grand jury investigation in the district court of Louisiana. Told the judge I could ot as I have a serious case of hemrhoids and have to walk around every other hour. Worked.

Just now, weepaws said:

Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes.  Ephesians 6:11.  

The dead popes are rolling in hell waiting for you, you go you devoted catholic, make them proud.  Amen. 

Put on the armor of Seafoam, so that you can take your stand against the devils schemes.  Seafoam 6:11

• Haha 1

I'e never been on a jury. I usually say, "If they've made it this far in the process, they are probably guilty." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDC said:

Based on this experience, god help anyone who is on trial for a serious. Some of these jurors are dumb as a bag of hammers. 

Yep...  They see stuff on TV like CSI and NCIS, for example, and they think they are highly intelligent...

I have been called in for jury duty three times, but have yet to been selected...  Though my last time I was at the courthouse was when Johnny Depp was there for his trial, what a circus...

13 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

I'e never been on a jury. I usually say, "If they've made it this far in the process, they are probably guilty." 

I told them “I don’t care about this case at all. It should have gone to arbitration.” They selected me anyway. 

Bad sign when I was Juror 4, looked around the room and realized I was the only white guy over the age of 30. :( 

Just now, posty said:

Yep...  They see stuff on TV like CSI and NCIS, for example, and they think they are highly intelligent...

They treated this case like it was CSI too. You should’ve seen their faces when I said “I’ll vote whichever way gets me out of here fastest.” This one sassy black lady was outraged. I told her it was a business lease dispute not 12 Angry Men. :D 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, MDC said:

They treated this case like it was CSI too. You should’ve seen their faces when I said “I’ll vote whichever way gets me out of here fastest.” This one sassy black lady was outraged. I told her it was a business lease dispute not 12 Angry Men. :D 

Well, that is pretty sh1tty.  Everyone should take it seriously.  You would want the same in return 

5 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

Well, that is pretty sh1tty.  Everyone should take it seriously.  You would want the same in return 

You should say the same thing about the lawyers who selected him after he told them the following:

I told them “I don’t care about this case at all. It should have gone to arbitration.”

9 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I got a free lunch too.

2 hours ago, GutterBoy said:

I served on 2 juries.

The second case had to do with a gun charge and assault.  The prosecutors case was BS, saw right through it, but the jury didn't care and just wanted to put the guy away.  I argued for the defendant, and slowly started getting people on my side.  Then we were locked.  It was a Friday afternoon, and Hurricane Sandy was bearing down on NJ, set to hit Monday morning, and I told the jury, "I will never vote to convict this dude, and if you 3 hold the same conviction as me, then we'll be right back here Monday morning in a Hurricane staring at each other all day.  You really wanna do that?", and then they backed down and we acquitted.  Dude flashed me a look, I was like I got you bro.

What a hero.

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

Was that difficult to understand?

Well it was a civil case, so he wasn’t on trial for being illegal.

1 hour ago, IGotWorms said:

If I found out a member of the geek club was on the jury, I’d flee the country 🏃‍♂️

Awesome. I'll volunteer for jury duty. 

Speaking of jury duty... 

Have any of you watched the show "Jury Duty"?  Premise is a real person is selected for jury duty and is filmed for a documentary, except everything is fake and everyone aside from the one dude are actors.

Very funny and the reveal is top notch. 

https://click.justwatch.com/a?r=https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/jury-duty?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android

3 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Awesome. I'll volunteer for jury duty. 

They wouldn’t take you. Even lawyers hate Peefoam. :( 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DonS said:

Speaking of jury duty... 

Have any of you watched the show "Jury Duty"?  Premise is a real person is selected for jury duty and is filmed for a documentary, except everything is fake and everyone aside from the one dude are actors.

Very funny and the reveal is top notch. 

https://click.justwatch.com/a?r=https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/jury-duty?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android

I’ve seen bits and pieces but what I did see was pretty funny 

3 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

I just sent an email to the address provided claiming fake medical reasons and the actual judge replied that I was excused. 

A 3 second email rather than all the drama and follow ups.

You are a Nazi. 

16 minutes ago, MDC said:

They wouldn’t take you. Even lawyers hate Peefoam. :( 

You love slurping the urine. It shows. Good for you homo. 😆