cmh6476

***OFFICIAL Lions @ Chiefs NFL Season Opener Thread***

Lions 30

KC.     13

KC defense is toothless without Jones.  Lions run all over them with their dominant OL.

Mahomes is lost without his security blanket Kelce.  Also, the OL sucks and Mahomes will face lots of pressure.  Toney is their only hope, but is he ready after missing preseason?  I don't think so.  

Lions 38 Chiefs 20

Detroit runs down KC's throat at will while Goff has all day in the pocket when they pass. They set the tempo and win time of possession 35 to 25. They'll make three 4th down conversions along the way because the Detroit O-Line is dominant while KC D-Line is full of second stringers. KC's defense will not be able to get Detroit's offense off the field. Without Kelce their offense plans are scrambled but KC will still be able to figure out something on the fly and are able to make some things work because Mahomes is great and because Detroit's newly improved / reconstructed secondary still hasn't got game experience working together as a unit. 

On Friday, Brett Veach backs an armored car into Chris Jones' driveway and both Jones and Kelce are good to go for Jacksonville in week two.

34 minutes ago, jonmx said:

Lions 30

KC.     13

KC defense is toothless without Jones.  Lions run all over them with their dominant OL.

Mahomes is lost without his security blanket Kelce.  Also, the OL sucks and Mahomes will face lots of pressure.  Toney is their only hope, but is he ready after missing preseason?  I don't think so.  

I think the DL is a little more suspect without Jones, but the Chiefs have one of the top, fastest and hardest hitting young secondaries in the league.  And the LBs are really strong, led by Gay and Bolton.  The Chiefs didn't win the Super Bowl last year simply because of Mahomes (well, ok maybe), Kelce and Jones.

Is this on Amazons or NBC?

7 minutes ago, bostonlager said:

Is this on Amazons or NBC?

This one will be on nbc

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cmh6476 said:

I think the DL is a little more suspect without Jones, but the Chiefs have one of the top, fastest and hardest hitting young secondaries in the league.  And the LBs are really strong, led by Gay and Bolton.  The Chiefs didn't win the Super Bowl last year simply because of Mahomes (well, ok maybe), Kelce and Jones.

There is no doubt the Chiefs have talent at every level.   But if you can't pressure Goff, he is going to pick you apart no matter how fast and hard hitting your secondary is.  The OL has some new faces and nay take a while to mess and your WR Core is not proven.  Everyone is grossly underestimating just how much improved Detroits defense is.  This will be a wakeup call to KC that repeating ain't easy.  

I don't watch pro football anymore

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Lions fans have 1 decent season where they still miss playoffs and start pumping out chests.  Lol

Come on guys you are the darlings of the division.   Be humble.  

9 hours ago, cmh6476 said:

@swirvenirvin  @Cdub100 @rurbaniak @thedanzone  not only aren't all around anymore, I don't know that all of 'em even give 2 craps about the Lions anymore :(

I'm still here.   Looking forward to the game.  I believe KC wins it, but I am hoping the Lions keep it close.    Definitely hoping Kelce cant play

15 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Lions fans have 1 decent season where they still miss playoffs and start pumping out chests.  Lol

Come on guys you are the darlings of the division.   Be humble.  

They are the most heavily bet team in the NFL for a reason.  They are in the third year of a remarkable rebuild where they tore the team down completely and had three incredible drafts. 

Their offense was 3rd best in the NFL last season and was only held back by a terrible defense especially the first 7 weeks.  But as Hitchinson and Houston emerged, their defense became OK which enabled them to go 8-2 down the stretch. 

They completely gutted their crappy secondary and replaced it with three top free agents to go along with standout rookie from a year ago Joseph Kirby.  They also added the best LB and safety in this year's draft who will both be in the running for DROY.  They have 4 defensive linemen returning healthy who missed virtually all of last season to add to the dangerous pass rush duo of Houston and Hutch.

They also added two of the most dynamic offensive weapons in TE Sam LaPorta and RB/WR Jahmyr Gibbs making their offense even more lethal.  Detroit will have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense.  

I'm on DET+4.5, I focked up and missed out on 6.5 before the Kelce news

Also have Amon Ra and Montgomery in my main FF league.

Excited for NFL football.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jonmx said:

They are the most heavily bet team in the NFL for a reason.  They are in the third year of a remarkable rebuild where they tore the team down completely and had three incredible drafts. 

Their offense was 3rd best in the NFL last season and was only held back by a terrible defense especially the first 7 weeks.  But as Hitchinson and Houston emerged, their defense became OK which enabled them to go 8-2 down the stretch. 

They completely gutted their crappy secondary and replaced it with three top free agents to go along with standout rookie from a year ago Joseph Kirby.  They also added the best LB and safety in this year's draft who will both be in the running for DROY.  They have 4 defensive linemen returning healthy who missed virtually all of last season to add to the dangerous pass rush duo of Houston and Hutch.

They also added two of the most dynamic offensive weapons in TE Sam LaPorta and RB/WR Jahmyr Gibbs making their offense even more lethal.  Detroit will have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense.  

Many teams that are heavily bet; are heavily bet because joe public has ran with thr narrative.   

So what is your prediction on their season?   I agree they should win the north.  But lets pump the breaks.  You guys are understandably excited but lets not go overboard.  

2 minutes ago, jonmx said:

top 5 defense.  

Lol

See this is ridiculous.    Don't become annoying fans this quick.  

So they are like a top 3 team in thr league? Damn what one semi decent season will do to a fan base.   

• Haha 1

Sounds like Kelce is NOT playing

6 minutes ago, cmh6476 said:

Sounds like Kelce is NOT playing

where we hearing? 

Gray good plug? 18 team league of course is the only one I have Kelce

I wish they would announce so I have plug into out spot

I would be much more enthusiastic if kelce were healthy

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Many teams that are heavily bet; are heavily bet because joe public has ran with thr narrative.   

So what is your prediction on their season?   I agree they should win the north.  But lets pump the breaks.  You guys are understandably excited but lets not go overboard.  

I think the floor for the Lions is a playoff birth but that would be disappointing. Par for 2023 is to win both the North and a home playoff game because this is a top four NFC team. The Eagles are still the best team in the conference until further notice.

Kansas City is getting screwed by greedy-ass money grubbing Jones and then unlucky with Kelce. That's their burden to bear, the Lions got lucky to be the recipient of good fortune. Both these problems should be solved by week two, but they have a game today and the Lions are going to bring the pain. This week one team isn't 17-3 Super Bowl champion Kansas City 2022, they're wearing same red and white uniforms but they actually more closely resemble the 8-9 2022 Green Bay Packers and they're about to endure a beatdown worse than 2022 Green Bay suffered because the 2023 Lions are much improved on the 2022 version. 

Week one will be a KC aberration. Fate focked them. They'll be able to get their team together, start digging out of their 0-1 start, and go about spending the rest of the year being somebody else's problem again soon enough. Meanwhile, the Lions will take this gift-wrapped win and move on to 12-5 or 11-6 or something.

1 hour ago, supermike80 said:

I'm still here.   Looking forward to the game.  I believe KC wins it, but I am hoping the Lions keep it close.    Definitely hoping Kelce cant play

That changes when your team gets to be good, believe me.   No more "maybe if this guy doesn't play our matt cassel led team can win today"

Bring on the best because we don't care who you are, we coming for you :banana:

1 hour ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

where we hearing? 

Gray good plug? 18 team league of course is the only one I have Kelce

I wish they would announce so I have plug into out spot

Still getting mixed signals, and I imagine it'll be pregame warmup before we know for sure.   Especially in that type of scenario I'd be comfortable with Noah gray. 

21 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I think the floor for the Lions is a playoff birth but that would be disappointing. Par for 2023 is to win both the North and a home playoff game because this is a top four NFC team. The Eagles are still the best team in the conference until further notice.

Kansas City is getting screwed by greedy-ass money grubbing Jones and then unlucky with Kelce. That's their burden to bear, the Lions got lucky to be the recipient of good fortune. Both these problems should be solved by week two, but they have a game today and the Lions are going to bring the pain. This week one team isn't 17-3 Super Bowl champion Kansas City 2022, they're wearing same red and white uniforms but they actually more closely resemble the 8-9 2022 Green Bay Packers and they're about to endure a beatdown worse than 2022 Green Bay suffered because the 2023 Lions are much improved on the 2022 version. 

Week one will be a KC aberration. Fate focked them. They'll be able to get their team together, start digging out of their 0-1 start, and go about spending the rest of the year being somebody else's problem again soon enough. Meanwhile, the Lions will take this gift-wrapped win and move on. The Lions will take this gift-wrapped with a bow win and move on to 12-5 or 11-6 or something.

Never under estimate Andy Reid and the Kansas city chiefs.   They prepare better than anyone in August, and usually come out rolling when September football starts. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Week one will be a KC aberration. Fate focked them. They'll be able to get their team together, start digging out of their 0-1 start, and go about spending the rest of the year being somebody else's problem again soon enough. Meanwhile, the Lions will take this gift-wrapped win and move on to 12-5 or 11-6 or something.

Sure about that? Missing Kelce and Chris Jones is big no doubt.  But good teams don't just roll over.  

This is what I mean about pumping out chest.  Lions are still 4.5 pt dogs and you are basically calling it a layup in Arrowhead.   Yikes.  

2 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

12 or 13 wins.   And everyone is grossly underestimating the improvements they made on Defense.  Including you.  Mark that post.  It wl be dead on. .  

12 minutes ago, jonmx said:

12 or 13 wins.   And everyone is grossly underestimating the improvements they made on Defense.  Including you.  Mark that post.  It wl be dead on. .  

Dude they were basically the worst defense in the league statistically.  Name the improvements.  Lets go through them.  You are banking on a few rookies and moderate FAs to take it from last to top 5?  

2 hours ago, jonmx said:

Detroit will have a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense.  

19 minutes ago, jonmx said:

🍿

5 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Sure about that? Missing Kelce and Chris Jones is big no doubt.  But good teams don't just roll over.  

This is what I mean about pumping out chest.  Lions are still 4.5 pt dogs and you are basically calling it a layup in Arrowhead.   Yikes.  

I'm not going to pump out my chest if the Lions win because this isn't the Chiefs, it's a hollow fascimile of them. I see the Lions as 11-6 or 12-5 and one of those Ls was expected to come at Arrowhead. Just looking presentable on national TV and keeping the game close would have been good enough for me. That's was what I expected when I saw the schedule come out.

Then God interfered.

Now it's a just a really good team going against an average one and you expect the really good team to win those. The Chiefs we all know and fear will likely arrive week two . Or at least Kelce will be back; Jones is a selfish me-first pr*ck so who knows about him. Giving him what he wants will put them fully back in the drivers seat this season but also bite them in the ass and screw the team over long term ... which may be prove to be worth doing anyway. (I'd like to see them tell him to "get focked and see him in eight week", even though that means missing the Bears and Vikings games too, just on principle). The Niners caved on Bosa just yesterday and watching the Lions' manhandling of their D-Line will have the Chiefs' brass sh*tting their pants during/after week one.

Beating them at full strength would have been glorious and quite the upset. Now that both their offense and defense are downgraded, they're temporarily the Packers not the Chiefs. Beating them in week one is expected, it's just taking care of business. 

Assuming the Lions win, this will not be a statement win. Even if we stomp them like I think we will, we'll still have stolen the win. There's nothing to read about the 2023 Chiefs or Lions going forward unless the Lions lose. Then the Chiefs are truly scary again and the Lions simply overhyped. A team that can't beat the Chiefs minus Jones and Kelce is not worthy of being in the discussion.

12 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

I'm not going to pump out my chest if the Lions win because this isn't the Chiefs, it's a hollow fascimile of them. I see the Lions as 11-6 or 12-5 and one of those Ls was expected to come at Arrowhead. Just looking presentable on national TV and keeping the game close would have been good enough for me. That's was what I expected when I saw the schedule come out.

Then God interfered.

Now it's a just a really good team going against an average one and you expect the really good team to win those. The Chiefs we all know and fear will likely arrive week two . Or at least Kelce will be back; Jones is a selfish me-first pr*ck so who knows about him. Giving him what he wants will put them fully back in the drivers seat this season but also bite them in the ass and screw the team over long term ... which may be prove to be worth doing anyway. The Niners caved on Bosa just yesterday and watching the Lions' manhandling of their D-Line will have the Chiefs' brass sh*tting their pants during/after week one.

Beating them at full strength would have been glorious and quite the upset. Now that both their offense and defense are both downgraded, they're temporarily the Packers not the Chiefs. Beating them in week one is just taking care of business. 

Assuming the Lions win, this will not be a statement win. Even if we stomp them like I think we will, we'll still have stolen the win. There's nothing to read about the 2023 Chiefs or Lions going forward unless the Lions lose. Then the Chiefs are truly scary again and the Lions simply overhyped. A team that can't beat the Chiefs minus Jones and Kelce is not worthy of being in the discussion.

So Lions getting 4.5 pts is free money.  Hell yeah running to the window now!

Lions miss playoffs.  Lions are a "really good team".  Lol.  

You guys are cute.  I will let you guys have your day.  The top 5 defense the other guy mentioned is nonsense but go ahead you guys are clearly not used to any of this.  

For the record almost no player other than starting QB moves the line much.  People overvalue single players.

2 years ago Rodgers went to Arizona with basically 1 NFL caliber WR healthy and beat the Cards who were the last undefeated team.  If this was as simple as you make it seem we would all be able to kill it in betting.  

Hollow facsimile? Injuries happen, and this team is not only solid but deep.  Chiefs by 10 without Kelce or jones.

5 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

You guys are cute.  I will let you guys have your day.  The top 5 defense the other guy mentioned is nonsense but go ahead you guys are clearly not used to any of this.  

For the record almost no player other than starting QB moves the line much.  People overvalue single players.

2 years ago Rodgers went to Arizona with basically 1 NFL caliber WR healthy and beat the Cards who were the last undefeated team.  If this was as simple as you make it seem we would all be able to kill it in betting.  

I'm with ya, but, the line moved two and a half points.

Just now, Horseman said:

I'm with ya, but, the line moved two and a half points.

Which is rare as hell.  A mixture of Jones Kelce and the toney concerns.   I still see 4.5.  2 pts is as large as it gets.  

Still over 4 pt favs but we have Lions fans saying well this should be easy now.  Hilarious.   Did Chad Henne not go on a 98 yard drive in the playoffs in place of the great Pat Mahomes?

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

They have to prove it on defense. The secondary was totally overhauled in free agency. Gardner Johnson was the big signing but also Cam Sutton and Emmanuel Mosely (who is still rehabbing and will not play week one.) Kirby was good last year and worth keeping and Branch has been a rookie sensation all camp. This group has not played together at all, only practice, and a top shelf QB like Mahomes should be expected to exploit that in week one as it takes time to gel. But then too Mahomes has his own issues to deal with missing Kelce.

Just now, Voltaire said:

They have to prove it on defense. The secondary was totally overhauled in free agency. Gardner Johnson was the big signing but also Cam Sutton and Emmanuel Mosely (who is still rehabbing and will not play week one.) Kirby was good last year and worth keeping and Branch has been a rookie sensation all camp. This group has not played together at all, only practice, and a top shelf QB like Mahomes should be expected to exploit that in week one as it takes time to gel. But then too Mahomes has his own issues to deal with missing Kelce.

I see Jack Campbell their 18th pick isn't listed as a starter.  Basically the 3rd LBer.  Not in the standard nickle packages.  

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Toney, Moore, mvs, rice, Watson, James, gray, McKinnon, pacheco...

Mahomes and this offense will be fine. 

9 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

Which is rare as hell.  A mixture of Jones Kelce and the toney concerns.   I still see 4.5.  2 pts is as large as it gets.  

Still over 4 pt favs but we have Lions fans saying well this should be easy now.  Hilarious.   Did Chad Henne not go on a 98 yard drive in the playoffs in place of the great Pat Mahomes?

Yeah, I've decided. Kelce not playing is baked in and it's not even certain yet.  I'm cheering for the Lions but the smart money is on the Chiefs to cover. 

Chiefs -4.5

4 hours ago, listen2me 23 said:

Michigan quarterbacks like Brady and Henne are always great. Unfortunately for Henne, it took fifteen years or so bouncing around as a backup to prove his greatness because Miami gave up on him too soon before he got his chance to reemerge in KC.

Or something like that... maybe...

4 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

I see Jack Campbell their 18th pick isn't listed as a starter.  Basically the 3rd LBer.  Not in the standard nickle packages.  

Jack Campbell was a reach at 18.