Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

2023 MLB Playoffs

4 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

you're talking 30 years ago when 4 teams made the playoffs. (and I bet you complained back then) 

You're god damn right I did!

• Haha 1

Winning the Rays series has this town on full homer tilt. You should hear all the local sports talk hosts not only picking TEX, but possible sweep. 

I'm loving the playoff run like everyone else, but it's approaching midnight and Cinderella is about to turn into a pumpkin on this rotation. We're down to 2 legit starting pitchers, neither an ace. After that, it's a hodgepodge of who can throw today. 

I think we can win a game, maybe two - but I'd be shocked if the O's didn't win this series. 

21 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

Winning the Rays series has this town on full homer tilt. You should hear all the local sports talk hosts not only picking TEX, but possible sweep. 

I'm loving the playoff run like everyone else, but it's approaching midnight and Cinderella is about to turn into a pumpkin on this rotation. We're down to 2 legit starting pitchers, neither an ace. After that, it's a hodgepodge of who can throw today. 

I think we can win a game, maybe two - but I'd be shocked if the O's didn't win this series. 

Wasn't Scherzer supposed to be back?  Yeah he won't be 100%, but I would think a 75-80% Scherzer could give you five or six good innings...

MLB did a great job. Games are awesome tonight!

23 minutes ago, edjr said:

MLB did a great job. Games are awesome tonight!

Today would have been an off-day even if any of the others went three games…

Just now, posty said:

Today would have been an off-day even if any of the others went three games…

all 4 series being on the same day was dumb.  we should have had baseball yesterday.  could have been game 2’s.

going forward not every series will be on the same days. 

9 minutes ago, edjr said:

all 4 series being on the same day was dumb.  we should have had baseball yesterday.  could have been game 2’s.

going forward not every series will be on the same days. 

It will always be like that for the WC series because of MLB now having byes…. So the WC series will always be T-W-Th with Friday off day and the DS starting on Saturday…  The only way that will change is if they change it back to one game only or get rid of the bye…

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, posty said:

Wasn't Scherzer supposed to be back?  Yeah he won't be 100%, but I would think a 75-80% Scherzer could give you five or six good innings...

Scherzer is trying to get back himself, but not expected. He has made incredible progress though, even thru live batting practice.

Team officials are still saying it is unlikely he will pitch again this year. 

Who would have thought that the Orioles and Dodgers would be down 2-0 in a best-of-five and could get swept in the LDS?  The Braves probably should have been there with them...

I don't think the bye week to the LDS, and the five day layoff, is a good thing to achieve and probably not what Manfred wanted in the end...  Of course, most of the rule changes they have come up with have been terrible...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, posty said:

Who would have thought that the Orioles and Dodgers would be down 2-0 in a best-of-five and could get swept in the LDS?  The Braves probably should have been there with them...

I don't think the bye week to the LDS, and the five day layoff, is a good thing to achieve and probably not what Manfred wanted in the end...  Of course, most of the rule changes they have come up with have been terrible...

Every rule change has worked out perfectly. The wild card round is not a rule and they focked it up. 

I remember when the dodgers played in cleveland this summer. Before game 1, dodgers radio did this GLOWING puff-piece on manager terry francona.  I mean i think it went on for close to 30 minutes, detailing his history life and accomplishments.  Later that day news broke that francona might step down as manager at the end of the year.  It all just struck me as sketchy, almost as if the dodgers had gotten to francona and convinced him to step down so they can fire manager dave roberts and hire francona if the playoffs went sideways. 

On 10/10/2023 at 1:25 PM, edjr said:

Every rule change has worked out perfectly. The wild card round is not a rule and they focked it up. 

i'm not a big fan of what the pitch clock has done to make stolen bases so easy. Other than that most of the changes have been good if you're trying to watch a game on TV. 

In person is another story. Took my uncle to a Mets game early in the season as part of a retirement gift and it was over in a blink. Barely had time to eat and have 3 beers. When I go to a game, especially on a nice day, I enjoy the slow pace of play. 

can't have it both ways though, obviously. 

13 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

i'm not a big fan of what the pitch clock has done to make stolen bases so easy. Other than that most of the changes have been good if you're trying to watch a game on TV. 

In person is another story. Took my uncle to a Mets game early in the season as part of a retirement gift and it was over in a blink. Barely had time to eat and have 3 beers. When I go to a game, especially on a nice day, I enjoy the slow pace of play. 

can't have it both ways though, obviously. 

Can someone explain to me If a pitcher can throw to 1st only twice to hold a runner, what’s preventing the runner taking a huge lead and running after the pitcher has thrown twice?

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Can someone explain to me If a pitcher can throw to 1st only twice to hold a runner, what’s preventing the runner taking a huge lead and running after the pitcher has thrown twice?

It's 3 times in the playoffs I believe. If a runner takes a huge lead, the pitcher can still throw over. If the pitcher does throw over, then he has to pick him off. If he doesn't, then it's a balk. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, crackattack said:

It's 3 times in the playoffs I believe. If a runner takes a huge lead, the pitcher can still throw over. If the pitcher does throw over, then he has to pick him off. If he doesn't, then it's a balk. 

Okay, that sort of makes sense in the Manfreds EA Sports Baseball.

1 hour ago, Mike Honcho said:

Okay, that sort of makes sense in the Manfreds EA Sports Baseball.

Yep, one, of many, stupid rule changes from Manfred...

so 3/4 of the teams that had off round 1 ended up losing. Last year was 2/4 with the dodger and braves losing 2 years in a row. 

i'd still rather not play a best of 3 series after a 162 game schedule but seems like there is at least a little something to the layoff. 

Atlanta working on being team of the decade again. Lol. 

I'm dumbfounded and speechless....... This is a Rangers team who lost 8 in a row during August, lost 13 games in September, went into SEA the last series of the year with a 2.5 game lead and lost the Division. 

Maybe it's like hockey, all you have to do is get into the dance.. My Rangers are hot, and it looks like Scherzer is going to go game 3 at home.. HOU has had our number for years - it's time to put an end to that shiit. But we have to have our starters go deep into games - if we have to get into our pen, we're sunk. 

26 minutes ago, Cruzer said:

I'm dumbfounded and speechless....... This is a Rangers team who lost 8 in a row during August, lost 13 games in September, went into SEA the last series of the year with a 2.5 game lead and lost the Division. 

Maybe it's like hockey, all you have to do is get into the dance.. My Rangers are hot, and it looks like Scherzer is going to go game 3 at home.. HOU has had our number for years - it's time to put an end to that shiit. But we have to have our starters go deep into games - if we have to get into our pen, we're sunk. 

Best coach in the game. And he was out there for the taking.  So glad to have the ultimate yes man Aaron Boone in pinstripes instead. 

35 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Best coach in the game. And he was out there for the taking.  So glad to have the ultimate yes man Aaron Boone in pinstripes instead. 

He really is the Mr. October of managers, it's crazy. 

15 hours ago, WhiteWonder said:

so 3/4 of the teams that had off round 1 ended up losing. Last year was 2/4 with the dodger and braves losing 2 years in a row. 

i'd still rather not play a best of 3 series after a 162 game schedule but seems like there is at least a little something to the layoff. 

As a Brewer supporter, I would have rather had the day off - and Arizona not make the playoffs due to losing a tie-breaker to the Marlins(not sure who had the advantage).  3 wildcard teams seems too much, but I might be a little biased.  

4 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

As a Brewer supporter, I would have rather had the day off - and Arizona not make the playoffs due to losing a tie-breaker to the Marlins(not sure who had the advantage).  3 wildcard teams seems too much, but I might be a little biased.  

it all depends, i guess. But I can see where having a 5 day layoff could sap some teams momentum while the teams that keep playing and winning, like an Arizona, just feed off the energy. 

49 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

it all depends, i guess. But I can see where having a 5 day layoff could sap some teams momentum while the teams that keep playing and winning, like an Arizona, just feed off the energy. 

Like I have said, one of Manfred's stupid rule changes to ruin the entity of Major League Baseball...

I still would be saying that even if it was #1/#2 in both LCS...

52 minutes ago, WhiteWonder said:

When it was only 2 wild card teams. The layoff was only a couple of days. The two WC's played a one-off game. Then two days later the #1 vs WC, #2 vs #3. 

Cause i agree with you, a 5 day layoff in a game where timing a pitch is one of the biggest skills, is huge. I think it's detrimental to the teams with that long of a layoff.

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

When it was only 2 wild card teams. The layoff was only a couple of days. The two WC's played a one-off game. Then two days later the #1 vs WC, #2 vs #3. 

Cause i agree with you, a 5 day layoff in a game where timing a pitch is one of the biggest skills, is huge. I think it's detrimental to the teams with that long of a layoff.

It sure is looking like that...  What incentive would a team want to get the first-round bye if their chance to lose a short series increases?

9 minutes ago, posty said:

It sure is looking like that...  What incentive would a team want to get the first-round bye if their chance to lose a short series increases?

the only obvious incentive is if they have minor injuries to deal with that can be taken care of with a few extra days rest. Or if they used their top starting pitchers at the end of the season to clinch that #2 seed, for example. The extra days off can set them up to have those guys open the division series. 

6 minutes ago, KSB2424 said:

Gah, is this the only thread?  Good game tonight.  

Philly not getting that lead off double in could be huge. We’ll see. 

I’m rooting for the Rangers.  Not sure why, no dog in the fight but it’s my feels.  

• Sad 1

The Rangers have been my second-favorite baseball team, second to the Astros, for decades. Class organization. But dayem these Rangers fans are asshats. I'm struggling now.

6 hours ago, KSB2424 said:

I’m rooting for the Rangers.  Not sure why, no dog in the fight but it’s my feels.  

##### Max and Jacob. Nope nope nope. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pimpadeaux said:

The Rangers have been my second-favorite baseball team, second to the Astros, for decades. Class organization. But dayem these Rangers fans are asshats. I'm struggling now.

You’re a grown azz man, there are no second favorites. You can maybe make a case AL/NL . Same league same division gtfo. 

Yeah I like the Red Sox but my second favorite is the Yankees :lol: 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1