Tree of Knowledge

War in Israel

The same dynamic has played out for decades. We all saw the same thing in grade school recess. Little guy comes up and f**** with big guy. Big guy beats the hell out of the kid. Far more than was necessary. And then everybody breaks down fighting between the little kid shouldn't have done anything and the big kid should have showed restraint.

Neither side is interested in peace. And we've known that for a really freaking long time. But Israel is effectively at least the equivalent of one aircraft carrier (land-based) in a region fraught with wealth and conflict.

Personally glad Israel isn't getting another Global Rubber Stamp. 

So, are we interpreting the latest development of Israel mostly withdrawing from Rafah as giving in to international pressure and not finishing the job? Or am I the only one?

30 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

So, are we interpreting the latest development of Israel mostly withdrawing from Rafah as giving in to international pressure and not finishing the job? Or am I the only one?

The problem is, there’s no way to finish the job without a full occupation. And they don’t want to occupy. 

Let’s pretend for the moment that Hamas are the Nazis (it’s a pretty apt comparison, right?) Now suppose in 1945 we bombed the crap out of Germany but refused to invade and occupy them. All that would happen is the Nazis would hide and come back. You can’t destroy them unless you occupy. 
Israel has weakened them. But they can’t destroy Hamas unless they either occupy Gaza or simply kill everything that moves there. Neither option is acceptable to them. Incidentally this is the same problem we faced in Vietnam and Afghanistan. 

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

The problem is, there’s no way to finish the job without a full occupation. And they don’t want to occupy. 

Let’s pretend for the moment that Hamas are the Nazis (it’s a pretty apt comparison, right?) Now suppose in 1945 we bombed the crap out of Germany but refused to invade and occupy them. All that would happen is the Nazis would hide and come back. You can’t destroy them unless you occupy. 
Israel has weakened them. But they can’t destroy Hamas unless they either occupy Gaza or simply kill everything that moves there. Neither option is acceptable to them. Incidentally this is the same problem we faced in Vietnam and Afghanistan. 

I'd initially thought that the pause at Rafah was a smart move to formulate a strategy to get the civilians out of there and back somewhere they'd already cleared before finishing up. Instead, they just bogged down for weeks and have now left. In hindsight, they should have just ripped the bandaid off and gone in, The mission would be long done and the aid trucks could have been pouring in weeks ago.

Looks to me that today is day one of whatever it is that comes next. We'll see what that entails.

7 hours ago, TimHauck said:

So the summer of 2020 riots weren’t bad because it was only a small percentage of US citizens?

I don't even know how to answer this it's so far off base from what we were discussing.  You really try too hard sometimes.

3 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

I want to respond to this point because you’ve made it several times on a variety of issues. Let’s be clear: the number of people who agree with you about any given topic neither adds nor takes away from your correctness on that topic. For myself, I tend to become distrustful of my views if I find that a majority agree with them. 

What a joke.  You use polling quite frequently to support your positions.  You often misinterpret the polls you cite but you use them nonetheless.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(Sometimes I think...I'd rather just let men figure this stuff out.)

13 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

I think you hit the crux of the issue.  The Palestinians can be as vile as they want, they get punished and pretend they are a victim....lather rinse repeat.  And clearly their ability to sell themselves as the victims is pretty darn good.

It puts the Israeli's in a tough spot, the Palestinians know this....so they behave in such a way as to manipulate others, are very good at it....seem to really be sucking people into this delusion.

13 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

I do agree. You can't solve this problem without dealing with Iran. The next wave is right behind this one. 

What do you do? Eliminate the threat, permanently cut off all supply lines and starve them out? The World's not going to let that happen, nor should they. 

This is just something that Isreal is always going to have to contend with. It's the cost of doing business in that part of the World. 

Hamas are primitive savages that planned this attack for two years and they should be eliminated. 

20 hours ago, TimHauck said:

So the summer of 2020 riots weren’t bad because it was only a small percentage of US citizens?

The Summer of Love riots were bad because they were riots, not protests. 

Did the protesters in Israel burn, loot, and occupy sections of their city for months on end?  If so, how did Israel respond?

Strike is right, you are trying too hard, Mr. Moderate.

16 hours ago, Strike said:

I don't even know how to answer this it's so far off base from what we were discussing.  You really try too hard sometimes.

Any comment on polls saying Netanyahu would lose an election and 76% wanting him to resign after they were attacked?

16 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

Any comment on polls saying Netanyahu would lose an election and 76% wanting him to resign after they were attacked?

Hold on....is that all true?  Can we do the same thing based on polls? I mean, holy cow if that is a thing then I am ALL THE FOCK IN on this....

11 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Hold on....is that all true?  Can we do the same thing based on polls? I mean, holy cow if that is a thing then I am ALL THE FOCK IN on this....

Do what?  I’m not crazy about polls, although they’re much better than random interviews of a few people.   But I’m only talking about them because @Strike was complaining to RealTim that “every poll he’s seen” disagreed with RealTim’s claims.  Shocker, it seems Strike was only choosing to “see” polls that agree with his view.

• Like 1

Just now, TimHauck said:

Do what?  I’m not crazy about polls, although they’re much better than random interviews of a few people.   But I’m only talking about them because @Strike was complaining to RealTim that “every poll he’s seen” disagreed with RealTim’s claims.  Shocker, it seems Strike was only choosing to “see” polls that agree with his view.

Polls indicate that the people are unappy....so that means we need an immediate election....at least that what I thought i was getting out of that,,,,,

5 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Polls indicate that the people are unappy....so that means we need an immediate election....at least that what I thought i was getting out of that,,,,,

No, I did not say they needed an immediate election.  Just that there appears to be a pretty significant % of people that aren’t happy with what he’s doing. 

2 minutes ago, TimHauck said:

No, I did not say they needed an immediate election.  Just that there appears to be a pretty significant % of people that aren’t happy with what he’s doing. 

Oh yeah, I was surprised he managed to restore himself.   I think many people in Israel prefer he not be in that role.  So I infer he wont be when the time comes.

3 hours ago, lickin_starfish said:

That's OK, they are dark skinned and Leftists mistakenly think they are oppressed by white people.  It's not terrorism, it needs to be looked at in the context of 100 years of colonialism.  :thumbsup:  

4 hours ago, RLLD said:

In a parliamentary system like Israel and England you have elections whenever the public pressure gets too much. I prefer our Republican form of government. 

8 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

In a parliamentary system like Israel and England you have elections whenever the public pressure gets too much. I prefer our Republican form of government. 

:thumbsup:

On 3/29/2024 at 11:33 AM, Hardcore troubadour said:

This Genocide Joe thing is really taking off. You hear it wherever he goes. Genocide Joe has to go! 

Interestingly..... this recently happened..... as if to directly refute this... I wonder, do they think these rag heads are as dumb and easily manipulated as their standard Democrat voter?

I mean, of course there is no genocide, and its just a lie meant to manipulate...but that is the rag heads knowing how stupid the average liberal is.....I wonder if this can work?

US has seen no evidence that Israel has committed genocide, Austin says

Hamas tells negotiators it doesn’t have 40 Israeli hostages needed for first round of ceasefire

Hamas tells negotiators it doesn’t have 40 Israeli hostages needed for first round of ceasefire

Hamas has indicated it is currently unable to identify and track down 40 Israeli hostages needed for the first phase of a ceasefire deal, according to an Israeli official and a source familiar with the discussions, raising fears that more hostages may be dead than are publicly known.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hamas-tells-negotiators-doesn-t-122909377.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

Color me shocked that they prolly have killed the hostages.  

1 hour ago, jerryskids said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hamas-tells-negotiators-doesn-t-122909377.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=0_00

Color me shocked that they prolly have killed the hostages.  

I see you’re a pro genocide Zionist or something something 

these idiot leftists eat it up that the Jews are bad. Free Palestine. Fock Palestine.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

I see you’re a pro genocide Zionist or something something 

these idiot leftists eat it up that the Jews are bad. Free Palestine. Fock Palestine.

Don't forget colonialist oppressor, although there is no country of Palestine.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

More from the same dude

This is a crucial element of modern liberalism, it will eventually come back to them....as cannibalism...... lather/rinse/repeat.....

3 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Israel knew this from the jump.   In fact, these pieces were......magically being set just prior to the October attack.....🤔

That is why I was predicting all of this well before it happened....but I digress....

THIS.....will be a problem.....  Hezbollah is no joke.  They are the real deal.  An effective and ruthless military force.  I have been.......near them......for a short time.....  they should be respected.

This will test Israel like nothing that has come before.

On 4/11/2024 at 7:44 AM, Fireballer said:

More from the same dude

Fun fact: back in the 90s, Chemerinsky was one of two lawyers who appeared on radio shows here locally (Southern Cal) and argued over whatever was the topic of the day. They called themselves “The Smart Guys.,” The other lawyer? John Eastman. 

5 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

Ruh roh.  :unsure: 

Everyone who has been saying that Israel is a meanie to Hamas terrorists hasn't seen Israel face an existential crisis.  This could get ugly quickly.

yep its escalating quick enough that we might be in WW3 before the election...the democrat dream

55 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

yep its escalating quick enough that we might be in WW3 before the election...the democrat dream

No it isn’t. 

Almost all of this is rehearsed and carefully orchestrated…Iran needs to save face after the strike in Syria 2 weeks ago. But they’re not going to attack Israeli civilians anywhere because they don’t want anything to get out of hand…neither do we. 

But it does make the point- we are fortunate to have a rational leader in charge of this country who is not impulsive. I’m not saying Trump would cause WWIII- he’s a coward and would likely crawl under his bed if faced with this sort of emergency. But it’s nice to have competence even so. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

No it isn’t. 

Almost all of this is rehearsed and carefully orchestrated…Iran needs to save face after the strike in Syria 2 weeks ago. But they’re not going to attack Israeli civilians anywhere because they don’t want anything to get out of hand…neither do we. 

But it does make the point- we are fortunate to have a rational leader in charge of this country who is not impulsive. I’m not saying Trump would cause WWIII- he’s a coward and would likely crawl under his bed if faced with this sort of emergency. But it’s nice to have competence even so. 

Strange statement considering they just launched over 50 rockets from Lebanon directly at Galilee.

1 hour ago, The Real timschochet said:

No it isn’t. 

oh you mean the president who kept everyone at bay, yah ill take that guy

keep supporting your war machine

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

Strange statement considering they just launched over 50 rockets from Lebanon directly at Galilee.

Hezbollah, not Iran proper. And anyhow the rockets were meant to be detected and destroyed by Iron Dome. Again, carefully orchestrated and staged. 

1 hour ago, Gepetto said:

50 drones are tagging along with those rockets too.