Sign in to follow this  
GutterBoy

Your Halloween Movie rankings

Talking Halloween franchise here, not horror movies

Tier 1:

1) Halloween 1978: Going chalk here, but the original is still the best.  It truly is in a tier of it's own.

Tier 2:

2) Halloween 3 Season of the Witch: Might be a reach but I love just the feel of this one.  Yeah there is no MM, but everything from the score to the cool shots to the idea of killing kids on Halloween in a Pagan ritual is just creepy.

3) Halloween 2: Picks up from the original great concept, good flick but doesn't add anything over the original, except better t1ts

4) Halloween 4: The return of MM.  Captures the feeling of the original, but what really makes this one is the ending.  Has one of the best bullying scenes where the kids chant "Jamie's an Orphan!"  WTF is that.

You can plug in any of these and feel good going into your matchup.

Tier 3:

5) Halloween 2018: The Blumhouse reboot that started the next 3.  I like it, it's fresh, I generally like the Blumhouse movies and this one is no different.  I like how it ignores much of the middle trash and gets back to basics.  I like how Laurie is a badass now.

6) Halloween Kills: The next in the Blumhouse reboot, this one had some great kills and was fun to watch.

These are flex worthy that deserve to be in your lineups

Tier 4:

Now is where things get a little dicey.  Hopefully you have better options, but injuries and byes take a toll and you might be forced to watch one of these

7) Halloween H2O: We get Laurie back from the original timeline and we seemingly have an ending.

8.) Halloween 2007:  This is the first Rob Zombie remake.  I liked how we get to see the back story of MM and why he turned into a psycho killer.  It's a little long and drawn out and of course suffers from Zombie's trademark trying to do something artistic but it's just dumb.

9) Halloween Ends:  The last of the Blumhouse trilogy, not bad, but I feel like they tried too hard to give a good ending here when it seemed  bit cheesy.

Tier 5:

Now you're getting desperate.  If you're watching these then you're probably in the basement.

10) Halloween 5: Franchise turned a little silly here, but you still have MM killing people

11) Halloween Curse of Michael Myers: Gets weird with baby rituals, pure desperation play

12) Halloween Resurrection: Ugh, Busta Ryhmes, really?

13) Halloween 2 Rob Zombie: That focking white horse, go fock yourself, drawn out boring bad movie.

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

#1 It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

"I got a rock." :lol: 

• Haha 1

I saw the first one.  Seemed stupid but harmless.  I was aware there were others but never felt compelled to see any of them.  I had no idea there were so many.  I find it difficult to fathom that someone could have revisited that premise that many times.  

Appreciate the breakdown, Gutter.  :thumbsup: 

I love the Donald Pleasance character and his description of MM:

Nice breakdown. I’ve probably seen all of them once, aside from the 1st which is definitely the best. I’d rate the Rob Zombie ones a little higher, but I like the Rob Zombie "ambience" of his movies. I barely remember anything about a white horse, so maybe I need to revisit these. :dunno:Wasn’t a fan of the Blumhouse remakes, not sure if i even made through all of the last one.

I would pretty much agree with this break down, I too am a pretty big fan of 3. I know there is no MM, but there's just something about that one that gets me every year. I am more likely to watch 1 through 3 and stop. 

I think I've only seen the Busta Rhymes one once; that's the one with the kids in the house, watching on video, right? 

The most recent Halloween Ends wasn't terrible, good for a more recent movie. 

The old school originals are always the best tho. 

I think it's the start of 3 that shows Halloween tricker treaters from different cities and it shows Omaha, NE, where I was a kid at the time. Showing actual cities makes it seem more realistic and scary. I don't know which one it was but I liked the one the most where it shows Michael Meyers  when it began when he was a kid, must be 2007.

10 minutes ago, OldMaid said:

Nice breakdown. I’ve probably seen all of them once, aside from the 1st which is definitely the best. I’d rate the Rob Zombie ones a little higher, but I like the Rob Zombie "ambience" of his movies. I barely remember anything about a white horse, so maybe I need to revisit these. :dunno:Wasn’t a fan of the Blumhouse remakes, not sure if i even made through all of the last one.

I love House of 1k Corpses, but ever Zombie movie since then I just can't get.

3 minutes ago, Gepetto said:

I think it's the start of 3 that shows Halloween tricker treaters from different cities and it shows Omaha, NE, where I was a kid at the time. Showing actual cities makes it seem more realistic and scary. I don't know which one it was but I liked the one the most where it shows Michael Meyers  when it began when he was a kid, must be 2007.

Not the start, it was actually towards the end, on Halloween.  One of my favorites scenes in the series.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GutterBoy said:

I didn’t really like the kind of people that liked rob zombie back in the day. Wannabe school shooter types.

Now this was like late 90s or something so obviously my take is very stale at this point, but it stuck with me

3 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I just looked him up and didn’t realize there’s sh!t ton more of his movies than I thought. They must have sucked super hard if they never made my radar. I might have to watch a couple of them.

Devil's Rejects was good, IMO. 

My mother took me(7) and my little brother(5) to see the original in the theater. To this day she insists it was good parenting because her mother took her to see scary movies when she was little, like Creature from the Black Lagoon and it helped her not be afraid of things. 

Just now, Mike Honcho said:

My mother took me(7) and my little brother(5) to see the original in the theater. To this day she insists it was good parenting because her mother took her to see scary movies when she was little, like Creature from the Black Lagoon and it helped her not be afraid of things. 

My parents sat me down to watch The Exorcist when I was 9 years old.  It scarred me for years.

24 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

I like "28 Days" and "28 Weeks."

Didn't care much for "World War Z" outside of the scene of them crawling up the wall.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Pimpadeaux said:

I like "28 Days" and "28 Weeks."

Didn't care much for "World War Z" outside of the scene of them crawling up the wall.

Those aren’t Rob Zombie movies- just zombie movies, you dolt. :doh:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Not really a fan of this series other than the first one and sort of liking H3.

Other slasher series like F13 get increasingly ridiculous so they’re sort of fun even when they’re bad. The Halloween series always takes itself seriously which makes it even more retarded. 

36 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Devil's Rejects was good, IMO. 

Agreed.  Not really horror aside from showing some of the cleanup after House of 1000 Corpses.

Capt Spaulding is such a great character. 

Original Series 

1. Halloween 4 (1988)

My personal fav. Most entertaining from start to finish. Highest rewatch factor. Fast paced action that has best scares and kills. Michael's hunt for Jamie and Rachel was intense and relentless. It's the Roadhouse to Dirty Dancing and Ghost. Not the best movie but the most fun to watch. 

2. Halloween (1978)

Legendary. Great horror movie. One of a kind. 

3. Halloween 2 (1981)

Good sequel. Kept the continuity of orginal. 

4. Halloween 5 (1989)

Dropoff from 4. Still better than next three installments. 

5. H20 (1998)

Laurie's return. First half was too slow. Final 25 minutes saved it with a badass ending. 

6. Halloween 6 (1995)

It's not horrible. Watchable in parts. Hated the storyline. 

7. Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Piece of crap. Should've never been made. Ruined the incredible climax of H20. 

8. Halloween 3 (1982)

No Michael? No Loomis? No Laurie? Fock this movie. I don't consider it a part of the series. 

22 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

I saw the first one.  Seemed stupid but harmless.  I was aware there were others but never felt compelled to see any of them.  I had no idea there were so many.  I find it difficult to fathom that someone could have revisited that premise that many times.  

I thought the same thing. I might have seen the second, but why bother with the others?

Elf - If Die Hard is a Christmas Movie, Elf is a Halloween movie

• Confused 1

Just watched Halloween H2O last night. I've seen it before. It's good, not the best. Also watched Halloween 6 which is not good but there's some good killing scenes.