Sign in to follow this  
DonS

Music - the great uniter

Many long time posters here probably know that I have a great relationship with my kids due to music.  I raised them on my favorite bands and they have in return introduced me to other great artists.  They are my constant concert companions and we've made travel plans around out of town shows.

Today my daughter's boyfriend texted me out of the blue to give me a heads up about an upcoming show.  It's cool because I actually like him - my daughter has dated some major focking losers in the past that I wanted to kill but of course had to keep my opinions to myself  - and while he's fairly quiet it's been nice texting w him about music.

This just made me think how some of my favorite topics here are music related.  I might disagree with some posters on political threads yet we find common ground on truly important things like various musical artists.  I'm looking at you BuckSwope re: Opeth.

Kumbaya muthafockas. 

(Cocaine may be a helluva drug, but so is being bored on a business trip and having several beers in the hotel bar.) 

1 hour ago, DonS said:

Many long time posters here probably know that I have a great relationship with my kids due to music.  I raised them on my favorite bands and they have in return introduced me to other great artists.  They are my constant concert companions and we've made travel plans around out of town shows.

Today my daughter's boyfriend texted me out of the blue to give me a heads up about an upcoming show.  It's cool because I actually like him - my daughter has dated some major focking losers in the past that I wanted to kill but of course had to keep my opinions to myself  - and while he's fairly quiet it's been nice texting w him about music.

This just made me think how some of my favorite topics here are music related.  I might disagree with some posters on political threads yet we find common ground on truly important things like various musical artists.  I'm looking at you BuckSwope re: Opeth.

Kumbaya muthafockas. 

(Cocaine may be a helluva drug, but so is being bored on a business trip and having several beers in the hotel bar.) 

Ha, been there. What's your favorite Maiden song and album? Wrathchild and Killers for me.

I couldn't agree more.  Any music pre 2000 I know a lot about.  I always try to incorporate it in conversation when I meet people in business or parties. Great ice breaker.

I would agree, I love those quiet nights my family sometimes get to enjoy, having a great dinner, and listening to those old God worshiping Hymns.  

Great times.  

4 hours ago, Herbivore said:

Ha, been there. What's your favorite Maiden song and album? Wrathchild and Killers for me.

That's a tough one.  Gun to my head I'd probably go with the title track of Powerslave. 

This song was the second on my daily radiation playlist - after Hallowed Be Thy Name.  For me it's unpossible to listen to this song without playing air bass against my leg.  The Steve Harris galloping bass throughout is absolute perfection in this song. :chef's kiss:   (especially at around the 4 minute mark) 

3 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

I couldn't agree more.  Any music pre 2000 I know a lot about.  I always try to incorporate it in conversation when I meet people in business or parties. Great ice breaker.

The following would probably work then.   :lol:

I had forgotten how much that song sampled Guns n Roses and Van Halen. 

2 hours ago, weepaws said:

I would agree, I love those quiet nights my family sometimes get to enjoy, having a great dinner, and listening to those old God worshiping Hymns.  

Great times.  

Like this one?

:banana::pointstosky: :banana:

• Thanks 1

I was thinking about this the other day. I am conservative politically, but some of my favorite music comes from very liberal artists. Like Jackson Browne for example. Doesn't bother me. I'm not going to stop listening to you if you have a different set of political views than I do. Great music is great music. 

I never understood why people let politics shape their lives so much.  I listen to all musical artists from country to hip hop, and I don't care what their politics are.  There have been a few times I stepped away from certain artists based on their actions (looking at you R Kelly but ignition is still hype) but not on their beliefs.

8 minutes ago, The Psychic Observer said:

I never understood why people let politics shape their lives so much.  I listen to all musical artists from country to hip hop, and I don't care what their politics are.  There have been a few times I stepped away from certain artists based on their actions (looking at you R Kelly but ignition is still hype) but not on their beliefs.

11 hours ago, DonS said:

:nono: 

12 hours ago, Herbivore said:

I know you didn't direct this question to me, but since Maiden is one of my favorite acts, I can't help myself. 

Seventh Son is my favorite album. Favorite song is super tough, but after much consideration I think it's probably Phantom of the Opera. Or the Clairvoyant. Wait... Flight of Icarus? Rime of the Ancient Mariner? Dammit, I will have to continue considering my consideration. 

6 minutes ago, Fnord said:

I know you didn't direct this question to me, but since Maiden is one of my favorite acts, I can't help myself. 

Seventh Son is my favorite album. Favorite song is super tough, but after much consideration I think it's probably Phantom of the Opera. Or the Clairvoyant. Wait... Flight of Icarus? Rime of the Ancient Mariner? Dammit, I will have to continue considering my consideration. 

All responses welcome. Phantom of the Opera is awesome. As great as Bruce is, I really favor the first 2 albums. Prowler, Sanctuary, Another Life, Innocent Exile, Drifter just bangers. Number of the Beast is pretty flawless, just not as gritty. 

14 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

All responses welcome. Phantom of the Opera is awesome. As great as Bruce is, I really favor the first 2 albums. Prowler, Sanctuary, Another Life, Innocent Exile, Drifter just bangers. Number of the Beast is pretty flawless, just not as gritty. 

I'd say their debut is my second favorite album. For whatever reason though, Killers is tied with Somewhere in Time as me least favorite of their first seven albums (or 8 if you include Live After Death). Of course they are all masterpieces, so I'm really just splitting hairs.

4 hours ago, iam90sbaby said:

Gotta go with David Allan Coe's X rated album

His nephew has a band...Moonshine Bandits. Pretty good.

59 minutes ago, Fnord said:

My wheelhouse for Maiden is Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and to a lesser extent, Powerslave (although Rime is on my short list of favorite songs), those being my formative HS years.  I'd probably go with Hallowed Be Thy Name as favorite song if I had to pick just one though.  Love Flight of Icarus and Run to the Hills as well.  Hell, I love most of the songs on those albums.  :music_guitarred:

Spring break in 87. That album was playing up and down the beach.🤘

5 hours ago, Fumbleweed said:

I was thinking about this the other day. I am conservative politically, but some of my favorite music comes from very liberal artists. Like Jackson Browne for example. Doesn't bother me. I'm not going to stop listening to you if you have a different set of political views than I do. Great music is great music. 

For me the musician in this category is Hank Williams Jr.

Me and my buddies damn near worshipped him, and if Country Boy Can Survive came on the juke box… then the bar was going to hear Dozer sing. I saw him live at Red Rocks in 1985… 

Now? Not a fan. Due to his wacky politics he’s an embarrassment to country folks from North California to South Alabam.

I still do a few of his songs on guitar (Old Habits, Family Tradition) at my small time gigs, so I do find a way to appreciate the music.

Hank Williams III is very cool though!

I’m nearly 50 and still finding new bands and albums I like, even in genres I usually don’t listen to. Music is one of life’s great pleasures for me, like sports, reading and banging all your moms. :wub: 

I’ve been revisiting Wilco lately. Here’s one of my favorites from their heyday:

• Like 1

Thought this was a thread about a song in virginier

32 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

I’ve been revisiting Wilco lately. Here’s one of my favorites from their heyday:

I saw them in Chicago 2 years ago, played Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in full. It was awesome. They are a weird band for me, Summerteeth, YHF, and Sky Blue Sky are flawless, everything else meh. 

2 hours ago, Fnord said:

I'd say their debut is my second favorite album. For whatever reason though, Killers is tied with Somewhere in Time as me least favorite of their first seven albums (or 8 if you include Live After Death). Of course they are all masterpieces, so I'm really just splitting hairs.

yep. my order fwiw, Killers, Debut, #, 7th, PoM, Power, SinT. Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is deep track classic. 

3 minutes ago, Herbivore said:

I saw them in Chicago 2 years ago, played Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in full. It was awesome. They are a weird band for me, Summerteeth, YHF, and Sky Blue Sky are flawless, everything else meh. 

I mostly agree. Wilco (self titled) is decent. Stuff off A Ghost is Born is pretty good live, but the studio album was not as good 

3 hours ago, Herbivore said:

I was a huge fan of Maiden. Saw them once here with WASP in the 80s. I always loved  getting their new album and going home listening and trying to find the symbol on the cover. My wifeys son had his band room in the garage. He got a number of the beast poster. He didnt know about the small sign the put on every and all things Eddie. I had a Piece Of Mind tapestry on my ceiling way back then. Brahhh 

The band that my daughter's boyfriend texted me about is Between the Buried and Me (BTBAM). 

They are definitely an eclectic band.  Not a huge fan of harsh vocals but they do  even it out with plenty of clean vocals.  Either way they are awesome musicians.

I had a ticket to see them with my daughter and her boyfriend last year but I had to miss the show due to a business trip. 

4 hours ago, BunnysBastatrds said:

I was a huge fan of Maiden. Saw them once here with WASP in the 80s. I always loved  getting their new album and going home listening and trying to find the symbol on the cover. My wifeys son had his band room in the garage. He got a number of the beast poster. He didnt know about the small sign the put on every and all things Eddie. I had a Piece Of Mind tapestry on my ceiling way back then. Brahhh 

❤️

That symbol you're talking about was basically the signature of the artist Derek Riggs. I agree it was fun to look for it on the various albums that he did the artwork for.

Up the irons! 

IIRC it was @Herbivorethat introduced me to Burzum. Now that was an interesting back story! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DonS said:

The band that my daughter's boyfriend texted me about is Between the Buried and Me (BTBAM).

Can size??

I guess you can include your daughter’s as well, if you wish…

I like pop, I like soul, I like rock but I never liked disco. No I never liked disco. 

20 hours ago, Fnord said:

This is me as well.  Are you a similar age? (48 here). 

One of my favorite bands, no way I could narrow down a favorite.  What has impressed me is their output from Brave New World on, especially Book of Souls.   Imo we can cross off the 90s, but their late era is damn good and the run of albums from the debut to 7th Son is about as good as it gets regardless of genre. 

17 hours ago, Dozer FBG said:

My last concert was Gov’t Mule at The Met in Philadelphia…

They are basically what is left of the Allman Brothers, starring Warren Haynes who wrote this song:

Soulshine, Gov’t Mule

Are you in Philly? 

57 minutes ago, BuckSwope said:

This is me as well.  Are you a similar age? (48 here). 

One of my favorite bands, no way I could narrow down a favorite.  What has impressed me is their output from Brave New World on, especially Book of Souls.   Imo we can cross off the 90s, but their late era is damn good and the run of albums from the debut to 7th Son is about as good as it gets regardless of genre. 

Yep, I'm 47. Agree about their output since Bruce rejoined the band. Brave New World was very good, but didn't quite live up to their 80s output for me. Book of Souls was amazing though, and fit right in with the stuff from their heyday. Senjutsu was also good, but not like BoS. I took a long break from almost all heavy metal from about 2000 until 2015 or so. I was listening to satellite radio mostly and the nu metal stuff wasn't my bag. I got into a lot more indie rock, punk and EDM. Book of Souls brought me back into the fold. Also saw them for the first time on that tour, and again on Legacy of the Beast. They are focking amazing live. 

I remember a friend of mine telling me how awesome Powerslave was when we were in 5th or 6th grade. I listened to it, but it didn't grab me. I must not have been ready for it. About two years later I picked up a used cassette copy of Live After Death, and the first side of it, from Churchill's speech before Aces High (2 Minutes to Midnight, Trooper, Revelations, Flight of Icarus, Rime, Powerslave) up until Number of the Beast might be the best run of songs I've ever heard on a record. Loved them ever since.

5 hours ago, MDC said:

Are you in Philly? 

I was there between Christmas and New Year’s…