Fireballer

Key Bridge in Baltimore struck by ship-collapses

Terrible

DeSantis would have that bridge replaced by evening rush hour.  Hopefully, the people of Maryland have selected public officials of his caliber.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MDC said:

What was a ship doing on the interstate?!??? :o 

Crusing

3 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

I didn't think bridges could just snap apart like that. 

If you watch Engineering Catastrophes on MAX or Science Channel you would know that they do, in fact, snap apart like that.  This has happened numerous times throughout history.  Several episodes in this series actually recount when ships have run into bridges.

It's an excellent series and I highly recommend it.

That's terrible.

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

If you watch Engineering Catastrophes on MAX or Discovery Channel you would know that they do, in fact, snap apart like that.  This has happened numerous times throughout history.

It's an excellent series and I highly recommend it.

That whole bridge just went down in like 2 seconds. What about this?

44 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

Which container ship struck a support on the Tacoma Narrows bridge?

2 minutes ago, Fireballer said:

Which container ship struck a support on the Tacoma Narrows bridge?

I don't know? I'm just saying I'm not a bridge engineer and don't claim to be one. I just never saw a bridge go down like that. 

That thing crumbled in a matter of a few seconds. I didn't know that is how they are designed. 

Just now, seafoam1 said:

I don't know? I'm just saying I'm not a bridge engineer and don't claim to be one. I just never saw a bridge go down like that. 

That thing crumbled in a matter of a few seconds. I didn't know that is how they are designed. 

I'm pretty sure Tacoma Narrows went down due to high winds vs an impact. 

51 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

What's nice about the Uncharted series is that when you fail to cross a bridge like this, you can try again and again until you get it right. 

4 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

What's nice about the Uncharted series is that when you fail to cross a bridge like this, you can try again and again until you get it right. 

I would rather have the Uncharted games than almost anything in life other than my girlfriend. I'm leaving out my past so it's easy. 

We need Buttigeg to get down there and determine how this is all about racism.....

Just now, RLLD said:

We need Buttigeg to get down there and determine how this is all about racism.....

If the racism he finds comes via one post up from yours, we'll never hear about it.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

If the racism he finds comes via one post up from yours, we'll never hear about it.

Correct....it will be...."if Republicans would only pass the Ukraine bill......"   🙄

2 hours ago, GobbleDog said:

That barge drifted for a long time....  why doesn't it have anchors?  Even if they lost electrical, surely they could manually lower some.?.

:dunno:

The video that RLLD posted on page 1 indicated that the port anchor had been dropped.  It seems that what they tried to do to avoid an accident actually steered the ship right into the bridge.  :( 

2 minutes ago, jerryskids said:

The video that RLLD posted on page 1 indicated that the port anchor had been dropped.  It seems that what they tried to do to avoid an accident actually steered the ship right into the bridge.  :( 

Superman, once again, nowhere to be found. 

I can't be the only person here that has had to jump into the ocean to stop a boat from hitting the dock?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ron 'Tator Salad' White said:

DEI hire

Singapore has DEI? 

31 minutes ago, RLLD said:

After he’s done chestfeeding

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, squistion said:

Singapore has DEI? 

I think it is Singapore registered, but not necessarily a Singapore based crew.  I could be wrong tho.  :cheers: 

Now Biden can blame inflation on this,. 

I just spent the whole morning putting together a race track. As soon as I finished my son took off on his bike. I’m no engineer and I think he sensed that. The overpasses will probably get knocked down when the car hits it. 

6 minutes ago, naomi said:

Mookz check 

Marked safe. :D

I was trying to remember, I don't think I've ever even crossed that one, but my dad used to commute over it every day when he worked for Bethlehem Steel. 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

Yeah, they had that bridge in one of the episodes too.

But that bridge suffered from a different cause than this latest one.

Frank Sobatka tried to get the harbor dug deeper but he didn’t grease the politicians enough and then the Greek had him killed. 

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Yeah, they had that bridge in one of the episodes too.

But that bridge suffered from a different cause than this latest one.

I get it. But I just thought they had a little elasticity (rebar or whatever laced through the concrete) when they broke apart. This one just cracked apart. I guess that is how it's designed to respond to this kind of disaster. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I get it. But I just thought they had a little elasticity (rebar or whatever laced through the concrete) when they broke apart. This one just cracked apart. I guess that is how it's designed to respond to this kind of disaster. :dunno:

Two completely different types of bridges you're talking about.  But, you're right, normally bridges are designed with a little manueverability due to cold/warm temperatures of the climate, but not when a 100 ton cargo ship smacks right into the support.  Typically what they do is put large concrete piers in front of the supports just for this type of situation, but they didn't have that here.

Update: I'm no engineer, I just watch Engineering Catastrophes on MAX.

Focking Pete Buttplug. Worst transportation secretary ever. Was probably getting buttfocked and doing ass to mouth while this was going on instead of doing his job. What a fockin retard.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

Focking Pete Buttplug. Worst transportation secretary ever. Was probably getting buttfocked and doing ass to mouth while this was going on instead of doing his job. What a fockin retard.

WTF is he even talking about?  Is he even on the same planet as us?

I once was having to travel weekly over a bridge in philthy on my way to the airport and they were always working on it for like 2 years. Literally. Every week it was under massive construction.

I mentioned to my brother about it saying, "man, it's taking a long time", he said, "Well, you've been working on a project that is taking two years to implement SAP for a Texas utility. They are both complicated. :dunno:"

He is a CPA and doesn't know bridges either but I got his point. :lol:

4 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

NEVER PASS UP A TRAGEDY TO PUSH YOUR AGENDA.

This has to be old video.

5 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

Those low overpasses he’s talking about are on parkways. There are low overpasses over the parkways in Westchester as well. Know why? Buses and trucks can’t go on the parkways. There was no need to build them tall. It’s complete bullshit. Libtards run with it though. Also the parkways are mostly two lanes right next to residential areas. Why the Fock would you build a high overpass?