Fireballer

Key Bridge in Baltimore struck by ship-collapses

1 minute ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

WTF is he even talking about?  Is he even on the same planet as us?

Well, he does have to deal with being a mom...

• Haha 2

Jeremy is exactly who I would anticipate they would find for an interview.....😄

27 minutes ago, LOD01 said:

Focking Pete Buttplug. Worst transportation secretary ever. Was probably getting buttfocked and doing ass to mouth while this was going on instead of doing his job. What a fockin retard.

Bridges too low for buses or tractor-trailers to pass were a problem 100 years ago because 'who knew' vehicles would get that tall and have been long replaced. 

4 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Jeremy is exactly who I would anticipate they would find for an interview.....😄

The CBS news guy asked Jeremy to "Tell me about the importance of that bridge..."....

For focks sake. :dunno:

3 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Bridges too low for buses or tractor-trailers to pass were a problem 100 years ago because 'who knew' vehicles would get that tall and have been long replaced. 

I'm going with racist. What do I win? Another 4 years of creepy joe and a male mom running transportation here in the US when she's on maternity leave for 3 years?

BIDEN TO THE RESCUE!

Just now, ROCK BOTTOM said:

FALSE FLAG

Cyber attack.  We're in WW3.

Don't fret. We have creepy joe leading our nation.

1 minute ago, ROCK BOTTOM said:

FALSE FLAG

Cyber attack.  We're in WW3.

Are you going to turn on Roman Reigns during Wrestlemania?

10 minutes ago, seafoam1 said:

I'm going with racist. What do I win? Another 4 years of creepy joe and a male mom running transportation here in the US when she's on maternity leave for 3 years?

As a kid, I remember (amazingly) a story from maybe 2nd or 3rd grade that we read where something like this happened: a truck got stuck going under a low bridge. I don't know if it was real or made up but this was likely a common occurrence back in the day- you had to make sure your truck could get under the bridge. So in the story, the adults couldn't figure anything out, the truck was stuck and everyone was frustrated. The hero is a 2nd grader or so who comes up with the idea that if they take air-pressure out of the tires, they can lower the truck 1/8 inch or so and thus get it safely through.

Anyway, low bridges use to be a real problem and if race had anything to do with it.... likely not but who knows.

7 minutes ago, RLLD said:

Correct....it will be...."if Republicans would only pass the Ukraine bill......"   🙄

uggh...

15 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

As a kid, I remember (amazingly) a story from maybe 2nd or 3rd grade that we read where something like this happened: a truck got stuck going under a low bridge. I don't know if it was real or made up but this was likely a common occurrence back in the day- you had to make sure your truck could get under the bridge. So in the story, the adults couldn't figure anything out, the truck was stuck and everyone was frustrated. The hero is a 2nd grader or so who comes up with the idea that if they take air-pressure out of the tires, they can lower the truck 1/8 inch or so and thus get it safely through.

Anyway, low bridges use to be a real problem and if race had anything to do with it.... likely not but who knows.

About 6 years ago I was a consultant for DTE. Traveled to Detroit weekly for about 2+ years. On one of the highway stretches I drove daily  it had MASSIVE potholes. Dangerous as can be.I remember having to avoid them or crashing. Someone got video of a bad time when cars and trucks at that spot were in rush hour going 45+ mph trying to avoid them and running their vehicles up a grassy slope and hitting things and shlt. Mayhem. 

That was serious racism right there.

5 hours ago, seafoam1 said:

I get it. But I just thought they had a little elasticity (rebar or whatever laced through the concrete) when they broke apart. This one just cracked apart. I guess that is how it's designed to respond to this kind of disaster. :dunno:

Let me see if I can help you out a little bit.  If you were sitting on a three legged stool and one of the legs broke you'd certainly fall over.

This ship hit one of the two major piers of the signature main span (elevated span that the ships go under).  Assuming the containership weighs roughly 165,000 tons moving at a paltry 5 miles per hour that would impact a force equal 800,000 pounds to the side of the pier columns (assuming we wanted the column to hold and immediately stop the ship in say 1 second).  It's a punching sheer force that I would have to have one of my engineers calculate, if we knew the exact dimensions and makeup of the columns, but a 800,000lb point side load impact to a column is certainly greater than concrete and rebar can withstand.

This span's shape is more like two sawhorses holding a sheet of plywood than it is a three legged stool.  The ship completely took out one of the sawhorses.  4 of the 8 legs (or two legs if you simplified it down to a normal 4-leg rectangular table).  There are giant rocker bearings on top of each sawhorse, basically giant pins.  So, once the main span fell the span you see to the right in the video rotated about those pins and started a domino effect.  

Bridges are obviously designed for impacts, more so now than in the 1970s.  Your waterski boat would have a hard time making a scratch.  But at some point the cost and feasibility to protect against a 165,000 ton container ship becomes too large an effort.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LOD01 said:

Focking Pete Buttplug. Worst transportation secretary ever. Was probably getting buttfocked and doing ass to mouth while this was going on instead of doing his job. What a fockin retard.

It is quite amazing the lengths these people will go to insert racism.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

It is quite amazing the lengths these people will go to insert racism.  

Not sure what the context of Mayor Pete’s quote is, but this apparently was a thing in at least one instance: Link

1 minute ago, MDC said:

Not sure what the context of Mayor Pete’s quote is, but this apparently was a thing in at least one instance: Link

What do low bridges on highways have to do with a ship that lost control?  The bridge wasn't too low.

An opportunity to inject racism.  Maybe not even inject...just an opportunity to say the buzz word.  

2 minutes ago, listen2me 23 said:

What do low bridges on highways have to do with a ship that lost control? The bridge wasn't too low.

An opportunity to inject racism.  Maybe not even inject...just an opportunity to say the buzz word.  

I don’t know. That’s why I said “I don’t know what the context is.” Maybe he was talking about the need to update infrastructure in general vs. this accident.

You can bet when this bridge is rebuilt it won’t be named after Francis Scott Key. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

You can bet when this bridge is rebuilt it won’t be named after Francis Scott Key. 

I wouldn't bet against you.  Maybe they'll name it after whoever wrote the black national anthem?  :thumbsup: 

3 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Absolutely not. It’s amazing his name lasted this long. 

• Like 1

Freddie Gray Memorial Bridge. 

11 minutes ago, MDC said:

I don’t know. That’s why I said “I don’t know what the context is.” Maybe he was talking about the need to update infrastructure in general vs. this accident.

I get it.  You can rattle around when doing a presser on these things.  But seems quite the force to bring that up...no?  If the context of his whole presser indicates that it wasn't just random then I will admit that I am wrong.  Seems unnecessary to me.  Keep the finger on the agenda button.   

So this guy gives a plausible explanation for what happened.

1 minute ago, listen2me 23 said:

I get it.  You can rattle around when doing a presser on these things.  But seems quite the force to bring that up...no?  If the context of his whole presser indicates that it wasn't just random then I will admit that I am wrong.  Seems unnecessary to me.  Keep the finger on the agenda button.   

If this quote was within the context of talking about the bridge collapse it was an idiot thing to say. My guess is it probably wasn’t and the tweet was deliberately misleading. One reason Twitter/X is shiit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Engorgeous George said:

Then the anchors could have dredged the harbor floor tearing up any number of cables and or pipelines.

Is that better or worse?

4 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Is that better or worse?

Depends.  The anchors would not stop the ship in its tracks, or even in 100 yards.   they may or may not have saved the bridge depending on how much distance there was.  Also there are not pipelines and cables everywhere, but potentially they could have gaken out the main fiber optics cable for the town and could ahve ruptured a gas pipeline causing pollution and fire.  My point is dropping anchor on a moving ship is no guarantee the ship will stop in a timely fashion.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Depends.  The anchors would not stop the ship in its tracks, or even in 100 yards.   they may or may not have saved the bridge depending on how much distance there was.  Also there are not pipelines and cables everywhere, but potentially they could have gaken out the main fiber optics cable for the town and could ahve ruptured a gas pipeline causing pollution and fire.  My point is dropping anchor on a moving ship is no guarantee the ship will stop in a timely fashion.

Seriously. And how much time does someone have to make that decision?

It's a death or death decision in the end. 

1 hour ago, Jose M said:

Let me see if I can help you out a little bit.  If you were sitting on a three legged stool and one of the legs broke you'd certainly fall over.

utilitt99 doesn't fit on a three legged stool. Try saying- "if you were laying on an oversized reinforced hospital bed..."

52 minutes ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

Freddie Gray Memorial Bridge. 

Jesus Christ...I hope the fock not.....🧐

1 minute ago, seafoam1 said:

Seriously. And how much time does someone have to make that decision?

It's a death or death decision in the end. 

I do not know this for certain but i imagine the ship had taken on board a harbor pilot who would be familiar with hazards and obstacles.  As i understand it harbor pilots are in charge completely inside harbor limits.  It would ahve been his or her determiantion, I believe.

Saw dipsh!ts on the internet today already saying this is a misdirection by the deep state to draw attention away from P. Diddy's accusations.

That person should immediately have their ability to vote (and probably breathe) taken away from them...but we don't need to kill them, just essentially neuter them. 

7 minutes ago, Sean Mooney said:

Saw dipsh!ts on the internet today already saying this is a misdirection by the deep state to draw attention away from P. Diddy's accusations.

That person should immediately have their ability to vote (and probably breathe) taken away from them...but we don't need to kill them, just essentially neuter them. 

Almost as bad as the crew that believed that a bunch of selfie-taking AARP members were going to overthrow the government.  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Almost as bad as the crew that believed that a bunch of selfie-taking AARP members were going to overthrow the government.  :lol:

What does any of this have to do with Trump? I hope he clicked on this thread so he can see you trying to stump for him again. Maybe you will get to wash his balls yet

14 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I do not know this for certain but i imagine the ship had taken on board a harbor pilot who would be familiar with hazards and obstacles.  As i understand it harbor pilots are in charge completely inside harbor limits.  It would ahve been his or her determiantion, I believe.

And he probably made the right decision. But who knows, maybe in that situation there is no decision to be made. You just do what was drummed into you to do. :dunno:

5 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Did any of the conspiracy theorists jump on this yet?

No, they're still on the conspiracy that selfie-taking AARP members were going to overthrow the US Government.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Finally just getting to see videos of this. That is focking crazy how fast the bridge collapsed. What a mess for Baltimore. Give them everything they need to get fixed up pronto. 

Hopefully not a key bridge for getting around. If that happened where I lived it would be a complete shetshow as every bridge is highly traveled.