Sign in to follow this  
peenie

Bees are living in holes around the perimeter of my roof

These are big fat bees. Are they destroying my home? What to do?!

7 minutes ago, peenie said:

Seal up any openings before they get in your attic. If so, game over. 

Carpenter bees. They drill this perfect 5/8-inch holes. The females look more like wasps and have stingers. The males just bite, but they prefer to menacingly hover. 

Years ago, I lived in a house with a covered porch, and they'd drill holes everywhere.

I had this big red plastic bat, and when one would try to menace me, I'd get the bat and smack 'em over the fence.

If one went into its hole, I'd spray bleach into the holes, and they would stumble out, fall to the ground and die.

They were kind of fun to have around.

Those guys would drill absolutely perfect holes into our porch posts.  Not sure how to prevent them but once we noticed a hole id fill it with silicone caulk.  They were never able to drill out 

I went into the attic and I only saw a scary spider. It was large but skinny but was eating a bug. I didn’t see any bees but they could be in a dark corner. I didn’t hear any buzzing. However, for the outside near the hole, I can hear munching or scratching. Do they eventually fly away? 

I bet this is going to be costly….

😢

Just play this really loud for a couple of days. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, peenie said:

I went into the attic and I only saw a scary spider. It was large but skinny but was eating a bug. I didn’t see any bees but they could be in a dark corner. I didn’t hear any buzzing. However, for the outside near the hole, I can hear munching or scratching. Do they eventually fly away? 

😢

I would only worry if you notice any damage. 

54 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

Take a picture of a bee.  Share it with us.

They're prolly just hummingbirds. 

29 minutes ago, peenie said:

😢

They don't get into the house. 

Just get a ladder and spray bleach into their holes. 

I don't see how you prevent them, and the only damage their doing is drilling those 5/8-inch holes. 

HT has lived a long time with lots of holes in his head.

Spray wd-40 into the holes.  Then fill the holes with caulk.

I had this problem, they had drilled holes in the beams under my deck. I maybe still do have them as they reappear every spring. I killed over 30 of them last year so I hope that's all of them. I was killing them by spraying water and then with a tennis racket but then I got a chemical that kills carpenter bees and sprayed it in their holes, they fell out and died in a few seconds after every spray. Fockers would bother me when I mow or grill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide-16-oz-Aerosol-Carpenter-Bee-and-Ground-Nesting-Yellow-jacket-Killer-Foam-HG-53371/203012118

Wasp spray for the ones outside. Bug bomb your attic if they are up there 

1 hour ago, Jose M said:

Bees don't like smoke. Light your house on fire. 

Uhh...See my first post in this thread, assfuckhole :mad:

Had a friend I used to play golf with a lot. He lived in this nice house with his wife and kids on a golf course. A par five two hundred and twenty yards on the right side of the fairway and would laugh about how many times he’d wake on Sunday mornings having da sex with his wife and hear golf balls hitting his roof. One day his wifey wakes up and hears “bzzzzzzzzz”  So he investigates and sees bees flying in and out of a few holes. He called an exterminator and they told him there was nothing they could do as killing them is a crime, call an expert entomologist. He got a quote for over ten grand and then the repairs afterwards. He said Fawk that and went to Home Depot and got hydraulic acid and bleach. 

Got home and made a batch of the acid in a shop vac and sat there with a twelve pack sucking them out. Took him all day. He was a coon-ass born on the bayou. He plugged the holes and did wha his uncle’s advisers told him to do. 

It worked, so, he bought a boat.

17 hours ago, peenie said:

call a bee keeper. most will come out for free.

19 hours ago, peenie said:

Carpenter bees...you can fill in the holes with epoxy to keep em trapped until death

Just now, Gutterboys Flip Flops said:

Carpenter bees...you can fill in the holes with epoxy to keep em trapped until death

They also have a foam u can put in the holes...to kill them.  They prefer soft woods thats why they drill holes in the facia of your roof

A guy told me to dip a cotton ball in alcohol and stuff it in the holes. He said the bees can't eat through the cotton. He said, next year pull out the cotton and I'll find a bee attached to it. 

I feel bad about trapping and killing them. We need bees. However, I don't want a bees nest in my attic. I just purchased this house last year and it seems there are holes all around! I don't think the previous owner did anything about it. :dunno:

32 minutes ago, peenie said:

A guy told me to dip a cotton ball in alcohol and stuff it in the holes. He said the bees can't eat through the cotton. He said, next year pull out the cotton and I'll find a bee attached to it. 

I feel bad about trapping and killing them. We need bees. However, I don't want a bees nest in my attic. I just purchased this house last year and it seems there are holes all around! I don't think the previous owner did anything about it. :dunno:

Was this before or after you told him about the bees? 

14 minutes ago, frank said:

Was this before or after you told him about the bees? 

Silly... :P

if you delete this thread, you will also delete the bees from your house