thegeneral

AZ Brings Back 160 Year Old Abortion Ban

LINK

Oof

“The pre-statehood law mandates two to five years in prison for anyone aiding an abortion, except if the procedure is necessary to save the life of the mother. A law from the same era requiring at least a year in prison for a woman seeking an abortion was repealed in 2021.

Enforcement would mean the end of legal abortions in Arizona.”

• Like 1

They have to be punished.

Based.

If it pisses off the left it's definitely the right move 

• Like 3

Arizona will handle it as will the other 49 states and territories

5 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Based.

If I don't know the right thing to do in any situation, I ask myself 'what would a liberal do?'. And I automatically know the answer to my dilemma.

• Like 1

The great thing about the abortion issue is that abortions were steadily going down in the U.S. for the past couple of decades.  It obviously wasn't perfect for the Far Right as they still occurred; but a combination of contraception, teachings from the Pro-Life crowd and the Far Right chipping away as much as they could possibly do at the state level was making a pretty significant dent in the number of abotions in this country. They weren't winning the Roe v. Wade War.......but they were winning just about every aspect of the actual ground war against abortion. 

20 minutes ago, RaiderHaters Revenge said:

Pendulum swing.  Safe rare and legal turned into abortions at any time funded by tax payers. This is the solution 

No, not at any time. 

Another interesting story.

Indiana Court Finds a Right to Abortion on Religious Grounds

Last week, an Indiana appeals court ruled in favor of a group of plaintiffs who challenged the state’s restrictive abortion law on the ground that it interfered with their right to religious freedom. The ruling in Individual Members of the Medical Licensing Board of Indiana v. Anonymous Plaintiff 1 might yet be reversed by the Indiana Supreme Court. Even if not, because it was based on state rather than federal law, it has no direct application beyond Indiana or to people who cannot sincerely claim a religious basis for seeking an abortion.

Slate - I know most don't read slate, but they summed up the issues better than previous article.

Indiana became one of the first states to enact a near-total abortion ban after Roe v. Wade was overturned in 2022. In September of that year, four state residents of various faiths and a group called Hoosier Jews for Choice claimed that the ban violated the state’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which was passed with great fanfare in 2015 under the watchful eye of then-Gov. Mike Pence. The American Civil Liberties Union’s plaintiffs contended that the almost total ban violates Jewish law, which provides that “a fetus attains the status of a living person only at birth,” and religious tenets that give priority to the life and health of the mother over that of the fetus. They also cited the religious teachings of various other faiths that support seeking abortion care under broader circumstances than the ban allows. The plaintiffs contend that their sincere religious beliefs provide grounds for terminating pregnancies in circumstances that are criminalized under Indiana’s prohibition.

To receive an exemption under Indiana’s RFRA, the plaintiffs in this case first had to show that Indiana’s abortion ban “substantially burdens” their sincere religious beliefs or practices. This wasn’t hard. As the individual plaintiffs explained, they have stopped trying to become pregnant out of fear that they would not be able to act according to their religious beliefs in circumstances that conflict with Indiana’s abortion ban. For example, several of the Jewish plaintiffs stated that the law would prevent them from acting according to their religious commitments, which would lead them to abort a pregnancy that jeopardizes their mental or physical well-being or when a fetus is diagnosed with severe chromosomal defects that will likely lead to miscarriage or early death, even if those defects are not considered “lethal” within the meaning of state law.

To sum up, in Indiana which has some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the State, an appeals court has ruled you can get an exemption to the law for religious reasons. 

40 minutes ago, iam90sbaby said:

Based.

It pisses off majority of voters in every State this has been put to vote.

49 minutes ago, Voltaire said:

Arizona will handle it as will the other 49 states and territories

They will. Problem for you is many states, including Arizona, will do so by voting Democrat. 

7 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

They will. Problem for you is many states, including Arizona, will do so by voting Democrat. 

Sure they will.  :doh:

You and your "I wish I may, I wish I might, I wish upon the first star I see tonight..." fever dreams.  :lol:

4 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

You and your "I wish I may, I wish I might, I wish upon the first star I see tonight..." fever dreams.  :lol:

How have these votes worked out so far when abortion was on the ballot?

16 minutes ago, EternalShinyAndChrome said:

Look this isn’t exactly some surprise here. Republicans are giving this election away with stuff like this. 

• Like 1

Thank you Jesus.  The plan parenthood leader, called it a dark day, she has never seen the light.  

14 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

How have these votes worked out so far when abortion was on the ballot?

That's how it should be done at the current time.  The solution, however is that it should be viewed as medical procedure, and like Alcohol, tobacco, etc, the government should put an end point.  Meaning, the government tells you when it's too late, but the person is free to do as they wish on their own dime, up until that point.

The right wants a say in whether you can do it or not and the left wants the government to pay for all of it... plus no deadline.  This will forever be in the government purview until the two sides can meet in the middle... and BOTH will refuse to do so.  In the meantime, it's best if the states have control over the feds, and the people should be able to vote on the issue in the meantime.  If you noticed, of the 8 states that are giving the people the right to vote, 5 are red states.

God the republicans can pick horrible times to do these things.   They suck at timing almost as bad as democrats.  Both parties are being run by morons

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, supermike80 said:

God the republicans can pick horrible times to do these things.   They suck at timing almost as bad as democrats.  Both parties are being run by morons

Fukin’ A.  It was obvious that abortion was a hot button in Virginia’s midterms just a few months ago.  White women will determine the election, and the GOP is p!ssing them off

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

Gonna be a blue wave come November :thumbsup:

Yep. 
Earlier today @Hardcore troubadour made the claim that Donald Trump, who wants the states to decide this, is aligned with majority views on this issue. We’re going to see in November if this is at all accurate. I don’t think it is. 

50 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

That's how it should be done at the current time.  The solution, however is that it should be viewed as medical procedure, and like Alcohol, tobacco, etc, the government should put an end point.  Meaning, the government tells you when it's too late, but the person is free to do as they wish on their own dime, up until that point.

The right wants a say in whether you can do it or not and the left wants the government to pay for all of it... plus no deadline.  This will forever be in the government purview until the two sides can meet in the middle... and BOTH will refuse to do so.  In the meantime, it's best if the states have control over the feds, and the people should be able to vote on the issue in the meantime.  If you noticed, of the 8 states that are giving the people the right to vote, 5 are red states.

Attempting to make the argument that both sides are extreme on this subject will not succeed. It might have before Dobbs and all of these state laws and court decisions. Not anymore. Only one side, the conservative side, is extreme and the voters know it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Real timschochet said:

Yep. 
Earlier today @Hardcore troubadour made the claim that Donald Trump, who wants the states to decide this, is aligned with majority views on this issue. We’re going to see in November if this is at all accurate. I don’t think it is. 

First of all, Trump is full of sh1t and no one will believe him. He will try for a national ban.

But second, “let the states decide” means abortion ban for a majority of states. People in many of those states don’t actually want that.

Idiots. That's how you lose elections.

8 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

Attempting to make the argument that both sides are extreme on this subject will not succeed. It might have before Dobbs and all of these state laws and court decisions. Not anymore. Only one side, the conservative side, is extreme and the voters know it. 

A post of ignorance that didn't need posting.

13 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

First of all, Trump is full of sh1t and no one will believe him. He will try for a national ban.

But second, “let the states decide” means abortion ban for a majority of states. People in many of those states don’t actually want that.

Interesting... the person who believes "my body my choice", doesn't want to give people the choice whether they can choose the law to be or not.  You think the state should make the choice?

2 hours ago, thegeneral said:

It pisses off majority of voters in every State this has been put to vote.

Hypocrite much?

I rarely agree with Tim, but in this instance I do.  This will galvanize the left.  Those pushing these bans are not interested in the Republican party prevailing in the fall.  They are single issue voters who will cut off their nose to spite their face.  They have waited too long for this opportunity to hold their water now.  They can't look down the road and see that any victory they get right now will be undone after the next election.

The question is will Biden do something equally as noteworthy to piss off his base to balance this out.  He well may as he is dumber than dirt, but between this and buying votes with student loan debt reassignment away from those students he may well get some momentum going which could only be stopped by a terrorist attack by folks who came in through the open border.  

Four more years of either Biden or Trump ought to have this country ready for some real revolutionary changes.  Sad that we have come to a place where our option is going to be between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Maximum Overkill said:

Hypocrite much?

Go figure? ORANGEMAN BAD!! 

38 minutes ago, IGotWorms said:

You can find the video, he posted it on Truth, but it was the most wishy-washy thing ever. The same guy who campaigned previously on banning all abortion and over-turning Roe v Wade, trying to move to the center on this issue was just pretty painful viewing. 

2 hours ago, The Real timschochet said:

You don’t have to tell me, I know. Michigan had a Republican Senate my entire life until 2023. Because of abortion, the Democrats got a one seat majority in both legislative chambers and are going bananas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thegeneral said:

Enforcement would mean the end of legal abortions in Arizona

Hypocriting again I see?

DID Y'ALL PEDOCRATS FORGET WHAT YOUR MASSA SAID? 

11 minutes ago, Engorgeous George said:

I rarely agree with Tim, but in this instance I do.  This will galvanize the left.  Those pushing these bans are not interested in the Republican party prevailing in the fall.  They are single issue voters who will cut off their nose to spite their face.  They have waited to long for this opportunity to hold their water now.  They can't look down the road and see that any victory they get right now will be undone after the next election.

The question is will Biden do something equally as noteworthy to piss off his base to balance this out.  He well may as he is dumber than dirt, but between this and buying votes with student loan debt reassignment away from those students he may well get some momentum going which could only be stopped by a terrorist attack by folks who came in through the open border.  

Four more years of either Biden or Trump ought to have this country ready for some real revolutionary changes.  Sad that we have come to a place where are option is going to be between Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dumb.

You dont need to agree with Tim.  Hes dumb as dirt.  But you can agree with thr others here.  Its terribly stupid of the Republicans to put this center stage at election time

2 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Another interesting story.

To sum up, in Indiana which has some of the most restrictive abortion laws in the State, an appeals court has ruled you can get an exemption to the law for religious reasons. 

Maybe this story needed it's own thread, pretty crazy decision. 

Well this should balance things out. The dems are sending kamala to arizona.  Two wrongs dont make a right

41 minutes ago, TBayXXXVII said:

Interesting... the person who believes "my body my choice", doesn't want to give people the choice whether they can choose the law to be or not.  You think the state should make the choice?

What I’m saying is, those people don’t really want it. Not outside of Mississippi and Alabama anyway. Electorally that will be very bad for the Rs, and good, because fock em