Sign in to follow this  
Mike Honcho

Majority of Americans wrongly believe US is in recession

1 minute ago, thegeneral said:

There was plenty pushed through with Donald in charge. People want to feel no pain. The economy was not doing well in 2020 after Covid hit.

Again we are not in recession. Inflation is a huge problem. Our economy is doing pretty well though.

I would tend to not dispute these assertions. Though I will allow that there are some opinions out there which add more context, I think your points have merit. I might add that the economy is doing well for those who are more affluent, and less so for the less affluent.

8 minutes ago, GutterBoy said:

It's fine to feel worse off, but to ignore facts is just being ignorant.  You can accept that the stock market is up, unemployment is low and the economy is growing, yet still feel like you're being squeezed due to the CPI climbing 20% in 2 years.  That was quite the shock.

They're not just FEELING worse off, you dumb motherf@cker.  They are actually experiencing it.

Jesus Christ you're a f'n moron.  :doh:

Real average weekly earnings dropped about 3.9 percent in 2022 and it has continued to drop losing another 0.4 percent last month alone.  

People may not understand the technical definition of a recession, but they do know they can't buy what they could a few years ago.  Their expenses are going up much faster than their income and they are getting deeper in debt.   Having some dumbass elitist tell them that is not a recession pisses them off.  It has zero to do with Fox News you elitist bootlicking dumbfuks.  It has to do with it getting tougher for most Americans to pay bills.

• Like 1

"I'm personally doing great, so that means everything is fantastic! and people aren't really suffering" - GutterD0uche

:doh:

Seriously, you can't make this sh#t up.  We actually have the forum retard saying this.

Just now, RLLD said:

I would tend to not dispute these assertions. Though I will allow that there are some opinions out there which add more context, I think your points have merit. I might add that the economy is doing well for those who are more affluent, and less so for the less affluent.

Yeah that is happening more so than ever probably. My point is economy was doing just fine under Trump but Covid happened. It impacted the global economy. We are doing pretty well. 

I understand people being pissed that stuff costs more than it did 5 years ago and that is a much easier thing to make an issue than we are doing better than pretty much everyone else. 

2 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Aren't there still a lot of jobs available though?  I feel like people try living above their means more than ever right now.

Credit card debt supports your assertion about living above their means, but we would need to break out spending patterns, I recall reading that people are leveraging credit cards just to get by.....inflation has a disproportionate harm to the lower classes who were already living close to the edge.

For example, when inflation arises you or I simply adjust our spending.  Maybe we eat out less, or hold off on a large purchase, or become more selective in basic necessity acquisitions....

For the less affluent, its a matter of eating.....period.....making rent.....just sustaining the simple things to exist. So when I see Democrats, notably Biden, shrugging it off.....I mean, that is some seriously sinister way of thinking.... on their part

2 minutes ago, thegeneral said:

Yeah that is happening more so than ever probably. My point is economy was doing just fine under Trump but Covid happened. It impacted the global economy. We are doing pretty well. 

I understand people being pissed that stuff costs more than it did 5 years ago and that is a much easier thing to make an issue than we are doing better than pretty much everyone else. 

This has a level of complexity. I think for a slice of people, inflation is an inconvenience.... but for those in the lower strata....who were already living week to week on their meager income....inflation is absolutely devastating. We should always look at inflation as a wrecking ball hitting the lower classes.

Just now, RLLD said:

Credit card debt supports your assertion about living above their means, but we would need to break out spending patterns, I recall reading that people are leveraging credit cards just to get by.....inflation has a disproportionate harm to the lower classes who were already living close to the edge.

For example, when inflation arises you or I simply adjust our spending.  Maybe we eat out less, or hold off on a large purchase, or become more selective in basic necessity acquisitions....

For the less affluent, its a matter of eating.....period.....making rent.....just sustaining the simple things to exist. So when I see Democrats, notably Biden, shrugging it off.....I mean, that is some seriously sinister way of thinking.... on their part

Wages are going up though, are they not?  That should lead to an improvement as long as inflation doesn't go up.

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

Wages are going up though, are they not?  That should lead to an improvement as long as inflation doesn't go up.

When things cost more, wages going up are less of a "feel good".  If we place the current economy next to what they had under the prior administration, people will favor the prior one.

Making less money, but being able to buy more just feels better than making more money, but not being able to afford what you want or need.....

Just now, RLLD said:

When things cost more, wages going up are less of a "feel good".  If we place the current economy next to what they had under the prior administration, people will favor the prior one.

Making less money, but being able to buy more just feels better than making more money, but not being able to afford what you want or need.....

How much do you think the increase in the cost of goods is on a poor economy compared to corporation just charging more because they can?  It seems as if corporations are making more than ever and can lower the cost of their goods if they wanted to.  I just read that Target is going to start lowering their prices, as if they couldn't have done that a long time ago.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

I thought the economy and jobs were just fine during the Trump years.  I did not like how is tariffs hurts farmers though.  He put a lot of farmers out of business with that.

Farmers aren't doing that great right now either, though. I know a few in CA that are suffering. 

36 minutes ago, RLLD said:

I am saying you think they are excluding COVID, but those are still baked in.... and no matter how hard you try to reframe it, as Democrats are doing here and there, it isnt working....what you are selling, people are no longer buying,.

I tend to trust the WSJ more than your regurgitation of political propaganda

He also moved the goal posts after the initial post...

19 minutes ago, Strike said:

Gotta love the libs.  A lot of people are struggling to put food on the table but all the libs care about is if those people properly respond to a question about whether we are technically in a recession.  So empathetic those libs are!!!

Gotta love conservatives, take 1 question of the poll, ignore everything else that the uninformed are getting wrong, and then twist it around about why these people are getting it wrong.  

• Like 3

Just now, Hawkeye21 said:

How much do you think the increase in the cost of goods is on a poor economy compared to corporation just charging more because they can?  It seems as if corporations are making more than ever and can lower the cost of their goods if they wanted to.  I just read that Target is going to start lowering their prices, as if they couldn't have done that a long time ago.

I have worked in the corporate wing for years......we never price to gouge, we price to be competitive.  When costs rise.....whether that be from taxes.....or policy changes.....regulatory elements.....salaries..... whatever, we bake that into the cost.

Corporations are not taking advantage, they have metrics to meet.  So when they raise prices it is to meet the stated plan.   When government floods the market with money, you have more money chasing fewer goods....and you get inflation.  That translates into costs. The government is effectively handing out money to people, and charging them for that money through inflation.....and then end up paying much more than they were handed.

It is only too easy to say those mean corporations are just making too much money, but that is not true. 

Democrats do not understand simple economics, we see this in their policies and they tell us with their words

This lack of economic understanding explains why they cannot grasp how damaging their policies are....

4 minutes ago, TheNewGirl said:

Farmers aren't doing that great right now either, though. I know a few in CA that are suffering. 

It's not too bad here in Iowa right now.  I haven't heard them complaining too much.  Corn prices are a bit low though.

3 minutes ago, posty said:

He also moved the goal posts after the initial post...

I know, but I prefer to not waste too much time playing that game....when the real point matters much more.  Life was better under Trump, and people seem to realize this in enough quantity that polling shows us some hope.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

In my area this doesn't seem to be true but my area doesn't represent the rest of the country.  Are the majority of people struggling or is it more so the young people fresh out of college?

I’d say groceries and gas are only more expensive for those recently getting out of college. Everyone else gives the secret password and the prices go back to 2019. You didn’t get yours? Hit me up. You can use mine.  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RLLD said:

It is only too easy to say those mean corporations are just making too much money, but that is not true

I agree.  There is much more too it than corporations are just charging more because they can.

1 minute ago, Hardcore troubadour said:

I’d say groceries and gas are only more expensive for those recently getting out of college. Everyone else gives the secret password and the prices go back to 2019. You didn’t get yours? Hit me up. You can use mine.  

What is gas in your area right now?

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Gotta love conservatives, take 1 question of the poll, ignore everything else that the uninformed are getting wrong, and then twist it around about why these people are getting it wrong.  

Didn't read the poll.  Responded to the thread title.   Apparently it's wrong to assume we're discussing what was posted in the title of the thread.  :dunno:

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Aren't there still a lot of jobs available though?  I feel like people try living above their means more than ever right now.

I've come to the conclusion that it's likely where you live. 

CA unemployment is the highest in the nation, at 5.3% in March: https://apnews.com/article/california-highest-unemployment-slower-job-growth-b1e4c822b33f29f819dbb024103cc843 and it's not getting better. Our median home price is almost a million dollars, we are also the most populous and most blue state. If that doesn't tell you how blue policies work overtime, I am not sure what to tell you to make things better. 

We were in a surplus not even two years ago, and now we have such a huge deficit that even the public sector has hiring freezes. We are essentially being taxed out of our paychecks to support social programs, "climate change" programs that affect us at the pump - while also being asked to return to the office. Public school enrollment is WAY down, the lowest it's ever been which also means that schools will not be given money either; ALL of this at taxpayer expense - tax payers who cannot find jobs and cannot afford homes to live in. And rents are just as obnoxious. Good luck finding landlord insurance around here, homeowners, car insurance; all of the above. Meanwhile, groceries are still crazy $$$. 

Anyways, I am just crazy for saying this stuff over and over again, and obviously lying and should just quit buying lattes, right? Because the market is above 40k and everything is great where Gutter lives, so it's all cool. 

Look at CA, guys, just keep voting blue because you think contraception will be outlawed. Who gives a fock about gas prices and truckers will just have to deal with figuring out how to make their EV long hauler work, ya know? 

Newsome will be president soon enough and then everyone in the nation will be wondering how the fock it happened. 

Just now, Strike said:

Didn't read the poll.  Responded to the thread title.   Apparently it's wrong to assume we're discussing what was posted in the title of the thread.  :dunno:

Additional proof why so many Americans are misinformed. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheNewGirl said:

Anyways, I am just crazy for saying this stuff over and over again, and obviously lying and should just quit buying lattes, right? Because the market is above 40k and everything is great where Gutter lives, so it's all cool. 

I think California has some major issues and has for a while now.  I don't know how lower income families can make it there.

3 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

Additional proof why so many Americans are misinformed. :thumbsup:

This makes no sense but I understand why you're butthurt that I called out your lack of empathy for the average American.

Just now, Strike said:

This makes no sense but I understand why you're butthurt that I called out your lack of empathy for the average American.

Made perfect sense, you couldn't be bothered to educate yourself with the facts before spouting off about your opinion. And I'm personally LMAO at your new found empathy for the ignorant...yeah, right!

🤣

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

What is gas in your area right now?

3.70 or so. 

Just now, Hardcore troubadour said:

3.70 or so. 

Yikes.  I think it's like $3.40 here right now.  Last week I was in NW Iowa and saw it at $2.80 at one station.  Most were around $3 in that area though.  Crazy how much it can vary.

1 minute ago, Mike Honcho said:

Made perfect sense, you couldn't be bothered to educate yourself with the facts before spouting off about your opinion. And I'm personally LMAO at your new found empathy for the ignorant...yeah, right!

🤣

If I misrepresented anything that was due to your misrepresented thread title.  That you can't see that says something about you, not me.  You keep ignoring my point to take personal shots at me ala hackboy.  Kind of sad.

12 minutes ago, Strike said:

Yes, it is.  Dummy

1 hour ago, TimHauck said:

More evidence that the Geek Club can’t read.

People hung up on the recession argument but 49% think unemployment is at a 50 year high??? Wtf???

Agreed. I don't expect most people to even know what a recession is.  It's a catch-all for "things are worse."

The unemployment misunderstanding is worse.  Especially since we recently came out of Covid when you KNOW employment was worse.  :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Strike said:

If I misrepresented anything that was due to your misrepresented thread title.  That you can't see that says something about you, not me.  You keep ignoring my point to take personal shots at me ala hackboy.  Kind of sad.

The thread title is 100% accurate and that you can't see that says something about you. 

As for taking shots, you have long ago set the level of how you want to be treated by how you treat others. 

I actually have to agree with most of the conservatives posting in this thread. People are not happy about the economy and you can’t tell them they’re happy when they’re not. There is a sense of anxiousness. 

Biden needs to continue to point out that things have improved since 2020. He needs to highlight the things he has done that most Americans approve of (like the infrastructure bill, and negotiating down drug prices.) And he needs to emphasize all of the terrible policies that Trump enacted as President. But what he CAN’T do is go around saying “hey everything is just fine!” because that will lose. 

30 minutes ago, RLLD said:

This has a level of complexity. I think for a slice of people, inflation is an inconvenience.... but for those in the lower strata....who were already living week to week on their meager income....inflation is absolutely devastating. We should always look at inflation as a wrecking ball hitting the lower classes.

Yes of course. That doesn’t mean the economy isn’t doing well. Inflation was going to occur no matter who was in power.

The Dems would be doing the same thing if dumbass actually won and was in charge. They would be saying look what happened when this guy ran the show. Time for a change back to one of us with whoever the GOP put up.

Give credit to a decent economy under Trump for first years, many would never do this for Obama when he left the place way better than he got it, but acknowledge it was a shetshow when he left.

1 hour ago, RLLD said:

Biden has ruthlessly harmed us, and people are done, and i am confident he has harmed enough people for long enough that we get back the one thing that was working for us, Trump policies....

I’d like you to be more specific here: 

1. What Biden policies have “ruthlessly harmed us”? 

2. What Trump policies were “working for us” that we need to get back? 

Thank you. 

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

The thread title is 100% accurate and that you can't see that says something about you. 

As for taking shots, you have long ago set the level of how you want to be treated by how you treat others. 

Except my post is 100% accurate.  Your continued focus on technical poll answers while ignoring the economic reality average Americans are dealing with just highlights you lack of empathy for those folks.  Even Tim seems to get it. 

• Like 1

Blah blah blah. Now they write stories to tell us we’re wrong

heres the truth. A small fried at McDonald’s was 1.29 in 2019. It’s 3.79 now

Don’t believe your lying eyes ! Believe Jared Bernstein, Bidens economic advisor. He has a degree in music and one in social work, you poorly educated maga kooks.  

• Thanks 1

Pointing out that no the economy is not shrinking, no unemployment isn’t at all time highs, no stock market isn’r down is well up, we are not in a recession isn’t crazy. 

It is obviously true that people think all this is a huge problem for the guy running the show. 

12 minutes ago, The Real timschochet said:

I’d like you to be more specific here: 

1. What Biden policies have “ruthlessly harmed us”? 

2. What Trump policies were “working for us” that we need to get back? 

Thank you. 

LMFAO

You've got a better chance having the wall agree that the sky is blue.

11 minutes ago, Strike said:

Except my post is 100% accurate. 

No, it’s not.  You said “all they care about is how they respond to a question.”

The poll had multiple questions, and that one question isn’t all people cared about.

Sure, Honcho could have used a better title.  But you’re still wrong.