Sign in to follow this  
tanatastic

Calling it now, Montee Ball a bust.

Just read how ball is locked into the feature back role. Since knowshow was a top 5 rb, Ball will be at least that due to more natural talent. He's a middle 1st rnd pick.

Ain't gonna happen, it's too fairy tale perfect and the nfl doesn't work that way. He's a fumbler and will give way to someone else at some point in the season. Someone else will be this years Knowshon, just like knowshon was 2 years in a row.

CJ Anderson is a good start. I don't think Hillman is going to get back in Fox's good graces.

you are absolutely correct

signed,

a Anderson and Hillman dynasty owner

Denver vs NFC west this year. No Decker.

Wheels may come off the bus.

Pretty dumb post. Other than the fumbling issue you listed no actual reason Ball will bust aside from some nonsense about a fairy tale.

Ball security is an important issue. So is pass protection and being able to contribute on dump off passes. If Ball can do those things then he's going to be just fine.

• Like 1

I would proclaim Ball as a bust, but I do like Anderson as a sleeper this year. I think he has the potentail to at least split carries with Ball. The Broncos will give Ball every opportunity to be the man this year.

Don't see Montee doing what Knowshon did last season . But i still think he will have a very good season .

Don't see Montee doing what Knowshon did last season . But i still think he will have a very good season .

That's kind of how I see it. I think Ball will have a nice year but I'm not drafting him at the 1st-2nd turn or anywhere real high like that.

The Denver RB is one of those situations where I'd rather pass on the starter, and spend a late round pick on the number 2 or 3, hoping that the coaches/Peyton falls in love with him.

You know i did that same thing last season . On one of my teams i had a shot and passed on the starter and took Ball . Opps . Not this season . If i have a shot for Ball or whom ever is the starter i will take him if it's at the right time .

You know i did that same thing last season . On one of my teams i had a shot and passed on the starter and took Ball . Opps . Not this season . If i have a shot for Ball or whom ever is the starter i will take him if it's at the right time .

Last year, Ball was the presumed starter, with Hillman making noise until he fumbled away his chances. The third back on the depth chart, Knowshon Moreno, was the back to own.

This year, I'm looking at Anderson late.

• Like 1

Last year, Ball was the presumed starter, with Hillman making noise until he fumbled away his chances. The third back on the depth chart, Knowshon Moreno, was the back to own.

Ball came on later in the season. I was all in on Moreno as the starter. Ball performed well at the end of the year and is the most talented back on that team. I don't see any reason to let any of the other RBs on the roster take away too many touches from Monte

Will when i draft in the leagues i am apart of Moreno at that time was the listed starter . So i took a pass on Moreno because i flet that Ball was the better player . But Moreno was more ready to play and Manning wanted him in there because he did a much better job of blocking . But i thought Ball was and is the better talent . And i feel the same going into this season . I think the job will be Ball's job to lose so when i draft in September and he is still the number one back and he is there and his number comes up on my own draft sheet i am picking him up . I won't make that mistake again :shocking:

Every running back around Monte Ball's spot has warts. Right now to me he has good value being drafted between Foster and Martin. Everything is relative to the other options you would have when drafting him at the turn in round 1-2. I don't think Knowshon was an all world talent but put up top 5 numbers just because of running in empty boxes and getting lots of snaps in the red zone. I'd gladly take Ball and then hedge my bet later with Anderson.

• Like 1

Every running back around Monte Ball's spot has warts. Right now to me he has good value being drafted between Foster and Martin. Everything is relative to the other options you would have when drafting him at the turn in round 1-2. I don't think Knowshon was an all world talent but put up top 5 numbers just because of running in empty boxes and getting lots of snaps in the red zone. I'd gladly take Ball and then hedge my bet later with Anderson.

This.

• Like 2

Fantasy Football Index had Bell as a Top 10 RB last year - huge whiff on that one.

The problem I'd have with taking Ball is that I'd be drafting him over Top 3 type QBs and WRs in the late first to mid 2nd range. That's quite a risk or a guy who most likely will end up in some form of committee.

• Like 1

Not getting the CJ Anderson love at all??????? Nothing to base it on. Ball will be a fine RB 2 this year with upside thanks to the passing game keeping things soft.

• Like 1

Crazy talk,
Moreno was a product of P. Manning and not even that good himself. Where was he all these years before P. Manning?
He'll be the bust.

Ball could not pass protect as good and Manning was not comfortable with him. But, at the end of the year he was.

Ball will not bust unless he gets hurt.

He'll be their #1 back and should be very good getting those unforseen draw plays and dump off's. He'll produce well and should be a fine replacement. I like Ball the player anyway, but Manning will make him succeed. I could even see him being a #1 in F.F. - But, with Manning slinging it around who knows. #2 RB is a better fit.

I don't see Anderson being used much at all actually.

Ball will be on my radar.

Crazy talk,

Moreno was a product of P. Manning and not even that good himself. Where was he all these years before P. Manning?

He'll be the bust.

Ball could not pass protect as good and Manning was not comfortable with him. But, at the end of the year he was.

Ball will not bust unless he gets hurt.

He'll be their #1 back and should be very good getting those unforseen draw plays and dump off's. He'll produce well and should be a fine replacement. I like Ball the player anyway, but Manning will make him succeed. I could even see him being a #1 in F.F. - But, with Manning slinging it around who knows. #2 RB is a better fit.

I don't see Anderson being used much at all actually.

Ball will be on my radar.

I'm going to disagree with your assessment of Moreno. Moreno is very talented and has always produced like a RB2 or better when healthy enough to play. His problem in the pre-Manning days was he always seemed to be fighting one injury or another and would miss games at the most inopportune times for us fantasy geeks. Thus the nickname No-show.

I don't think Monte Ball comes close to Moreno's numbers this year. Not really because I doubt Ball (his fumbling is an added risk), I just don't think the Denver offense can possibly replicate their numbers from last year. From Manning to D Thomas to J Thomas to the RB position. Partly because of the law of averages and partly because of their schedule.

Here's Denver first seven games in 2014:

Indy-- gave up the 13th fewest points to RB's last year and figure to improve this year.

KC-- gave up the 16th fewest points

Sea-- 2nd fewest points to RB's

Ariz-- 1st fewest points

NYJ-- 4th fewest points

SF-- 10th fewest

SD-- 11th fewest, that DEF was playing very well at the end of last year. Twice against Denver if I recall.

They also play an improving Ram defense Week 11 and the Cinci defense Week 16....championship week for most leagues.

All this said, I'd take Ball in the 3rd round if he's there. He'll be gone by then, though.

• Like 1

Which is kind of my point, and one of the big reasons last year I was talking up Moreno as a late round gamble.

Peyton entrusts certain players, and makes sure they get opportunities, even when (on paper), they aren't the best players. Stokley, Tamme, Collie, Moreno.

Will Ball be the starter? In all likelihood. Will Anderson be a big contributor? Probably not. Is the reward of Anderson becoming one of Peyton's pets worth a late round flier? Absolutely.

• Like 1

What about the rookie kapri bibbs?

I had enough lobster over the weekend to keep me happy for a while

I'm going to disagree with your assessment of Moreno. Moreno is very talented and has always produced like a RB2 or better when healthy enough to play. His problem in the pre-Manning days was he always seemed to be fighting one injury or another and would miss games at the most inopportune times for us fantasy geeks. Thus the nickname No-show.

I don't think Monte Ball comes close to Moreno's numbers this year. Not really because I doubt Ball (his fumbling is an added risk), I just don't think the Denver offense can possibly replicate their numbers from last year. From Manning to D Thomas to J Thomas to the RB position. Partly because of the law of averages and partly because of their schedule.

Here's Denver first seven games in 2014:

Indy-- gave up the 13th fewest points to RB's last year and figure to improve this year.

KC-- gave up the 16th fewest points

Sea-- 2nd fewest points to RB's

Ariz-- 1st fewest points

NYJ-- 4th fewest points

SF-- 10th fewest

SD-- 11th fewest, that DEF was playing very well at the end of last year. Twice against Denver if I recall.

They also play an improving Ram defense Week 11 and the Cinci defense Week 16....championship week for most leagues.

All this said, I'd take Ball in the 3rd round if he's there. He'll be gone by then, though.

Some good points... I havn't got into evaluating sched's, etc. and all that. I mean this could drop him to a similar area where you have him. 3rd round seems like a real nice fit. But, like you said, you'll most likely miss out on him.

But, if you down grade him for that sched then you have to down grade Charles too.

I think sched doesn't matter much when you're talking about a prolific offense. P. Manning will get his during the REG. season no matter the def. They will always be attacking and getting chances. Draws, catches, etc. And even if he's shut down by a good run def. (which is always different year to year), then P. Manning could get him a TD when he gets it down to the 1.

Maybe Denver won't set the world on fire again, but they might be close and should lead the league regardless. AFC/Div is not that good. Not everybody is like the Hawks on Def. Rams and Zona will not be able to score, and Denver wins those games eventually. Meaning TD's/Yardage.

You're main point about Mareno. We'll see. I think he busts in Miami. He busted every other year before P. Manning. Maybe it was injury mostly. But, Manning/great offense was the reason he did so well too.

He's got some game. No denying that. But, he can't do it without a great supporting cast. Period.

He'll either be hurt or won't deliver. He's an average player made better by the situation he was in.

To the other poster: Sure Anderson is late value. That's clear. But, Mareno actually showed what he could do the year before. He lead me/people into the fantay playoff's/SB because he was getting lots of catches, etc. at the end of the prior year. He earned P. Mannings trust and produced the year before. So Mareno was a great sleeper. Once Ball didn't earn that trust, they went back to Mareno who already had.

Now, Mareno is gone. Yet Ball earned that trust last year for Manning and the game will slow down for him more. He's the guy! Anderson has not earned anything. But, for injury sake, late round value, it makes much sense to target Anderson.

But, I think it's a different situation. It's all Ball this coming year and the guy to get.

You're main point about Mareno. We'll see. I think he busts in Miami. He busted every other year before P. Manning. Maybe it was injury mostly. But, Manning/great offense was the reason he did so well too.

He's got some game. No denying that. But, he can't do it without a great supporting cast. Period.

2009 Moreno 1160 yds from scrimmage, 9 TD for an 8-8 team QB by Orton/C.Simms

2010 Moreno 1151 yds from scrimmage, 8 TD for a 4-12 team QB by Orton/Tebow

Those are solid seasons and certainly not of the "bust" variety.

He has had an injury history, and maybe he won't be anything special in Miami. And yes, his stats with Manning were even better than his most productive seasons prior, which you can say about just about eveery player who has played with Manning.

But to say he can't produce "without a great supporting cast. Period." is just not based on fact.

• Like 1

I wouldn't want Moreno as anything more than a 3rd RB, which puts him down in the 5-6 range or later on my board. He's a good player but nothing special and Miami is a massive step down in supporting talent on offense.

2009 Moreno 1160 yds from scrimmage, 9 TD for an 8-8 team QB by Orton/C.Simms

2010 Moreno 1151 yds from scrimmage, 8 TD for a 4-12 team QB by Orton/Tebow

Those are solid seasons and certainly not of the "bust" variety.

He has had an injury history, and maybe he won't be anything special in Miami. And yes, his stats with Manning were even better than his most productive seasons prior, which you can say about just about eveery player who has played with Manning.

But to say he can't produce "without a great supporting cast. Period." is just not based on fact.

He was a 1st round pick, and 12th overall. He had fresh legs in those early years and should have been at his best.

Yet he still never managed to gain over 1,000 yards rushing.

You want to combine rush/rec. fine. I guess it could be considered productive with Tebow's dump off's. And Orton actually wasn't bad in those years and they had B. Marshal keeping drives alive too. If I remember right, the Orton lead Denver offense was very productive and near tops in the league?

But, most any "starting RB" no matter the team or QB can pretty easily attain 1,000 rushing in today's NFL if given 247 attempts like he got in 2009. And that's the most attempts he ever got since. Moreno had 947 & 779 those 2 years. Even with Manning he only had 1038. He just splashed the big double digit TD's due to supporting cast.

Even in 2010, I think he was hurt again. He can't hold up. Without a supporting cast then his TD's fall back into the 5 range. And he'll take a pounding thus causing him more chances to get hurt, which he's proven he will. His career long is only 36. Horrible.

He was a great system guy for P. Manning. That's it. He's good on the screens and blocking. See Addai.

Going to Miami with far less talent - He'll be a bust. I'll stick to my view on that. And that was my main point anyway.

I think he dies in Miami and never heard of again in about 2-3 years. Just my view.

Any #1 RB in that offense will be top 10 this year. Ball is certainly talented enough to run against the weak boxes he will face. And the amount of TDs that offense will score, will pretty much assure him of double digit TDs.

He was a TD machine at Wisky!

I'd say around 1300 total yards and 10-12 TDs is easily attainable barring injury!

I have to disagree. Ball got the starting job handed to him. He doesn't have to be a great RB to succeed in that environment as long as Manning is the QB. To me, he is a safer RB pick for this year.

For him, the most important thing is not running the ball or catching the dump offs. It is don't miss his block assignment.

Just read how ball is locked into the feature back role. Since knowshow was a top 5 rb, Ball will be at least that due to more natural talent. He's a middle 1st rnd pick.

Ain't gonna happen, it's too fairy tale perfect and the nfl doesn't work that way. He's a fumbler and will give way to someone else at some point in the season. Someone else will be this years Knowshon, just like knowshon was 2 years in a row.

He was a 1st round pick, and 12th overall. He had fresh legs in those early years and should have been at his best.

Yet he still never managed to gain over 1,000 yards rushing.

You want to combine rush/rec. fine. I guess it could be considered productive with Tebow's dump off's. And Orton actually wasn't bad in those years and they had B. Marshal keeping drives alive too. If I remember right, the Orton lead Denver offense was very productive and near tops in the league?

But, most any "starting RB" no matter the team or QB can pretty easily attain 1,000 rushing in today's NFL if given 247 attempts like he got in 2009. And that's the most attempts he ever got since. Moreno had 947 & 779 those 2 years. Even with Manning he only had 1038. He just splashed the big double digit TD's due to supporting cast.

Orton offenses were 19 & 20 in those respective years. And Tebow's dump offs aren't a part of the equation; he played 3 games in 2010 in which Moreno had 19 touches.

13 RB rushed for over 1000 yds in the NFL last season. Moreno was 9th in ypc, 10th in carries among that group.

He may do nothing in Miami, but I don't think that your premise that he only produces "when surrounded by a great supporting cast" holds up.

Montee Ball will be a great rb2 this year. If he can improve on ball security and pass protection. Can't wait to see if he's improved in those areas. Young talented rb's in great offenses is to good to pass up. Yeah sure I rather draft him in the 3rd then the late 1st early 2nd but that's the price we will probably have to pay. On May 31st I think I'm buying Montee Ball as a top 10 fantasy rb but when Sept. rolls around hopefully I'll be more confident about it.

Its all about protecting Peyton. If he protects Peyton then he will play and he will produce as a result of that. I think his talent is decent, but that doesn't matter. We should be able to listen to the talk in camp and preseason to see how he is doing in pickups to get an idea of this, and then make a play based on that.

Pretty dumb post. Other than the fumbling issue you listed no actual reason Ball will bust aside from some nonsense about a fairy tale.

Ball security is an important issue. So is pass protection and being able to contribute on dump off passes. If Ball can do those things then he's going to be just fine.

Considering most in the thread agree w me it can't be that dumb. No I don't have scientific reasons, I'm just sayin in the nfl stuff happens. The fantasy gods are angered that ball has been anointed a top rb and will smite accordingly those who spend a late 1st rnd pick chasing last years offense.

Also knowshon won't even crack 900 5 since he sucks and essentially was an extension of Peyton. Now u may say "Tan you are an idiot, why can't Ball, who has more talent than knowshon, do the same thing?" Well, that's simply where my " happens" statement comes in. That's just too easy a thing to assume, that ball>Moreno so he will have a great year, just like all the magazines and pros will tell you. That fairy tale just doesn't happen in the nfl that easily and like I said, the gods are not pleased.

• Like 1

Considering most in the thread agree w me it can't be that dumb. No I don't have scientific reasons, I'm just sayin in the nfl stuff happens. The fantasy gods are angered that ball has been anointed a top rb and will smite accordingly those who spend a late 1st rnd pick chasing last years offense.

Also knowshon won't even crack 900 5 since he sucks and essentially was an extension of Peyton. Now u may say "Tan you are an idiot, why can't Ball, who has more talent than knowshon, do the same thing?" Well, that's simply where my "###### happens" statement comes in. That's just too easy a thing to assume, that ball>Moreno so he will have a great year, just like all the magazines and pros will tell you. That fairy tale just doesn't happen in the nfl that easily and like I said, the gods are not pleased.

Well, I consulted my crystal ball, the infamous 8 ball, a tarot card reader and looked at Ball's horoscope for this year... And they all say that your fantasy football gods are idiots!

So, at least he has that going for him!

• Like 1

Tan,

Your vague notion that 'the gods are not pleased' and they will 'smite' Ball for being anointed a top RB is high quackery at its best. Unless the kid blows an assignment and gets Peyton hurt he's a lock for 1000/8 + and I have him more likely putting up 1170/10 and 42/285/3. Our own happy house FFT has him projected at 1106/8 and 52/404/2. Next you'll be telling me the earth is only 6,000 years old...

He's a fumbler and will give way to someone else at some point in the season. Someone else will be this years Knowshon, just like knowshon was 2 years in a row.

Here is something no one has ever said before: Wisconsin running back Montee Ball just lost a fumble.

On his third carry of the day against UTEP, Ball lost a fumble for the first time in his career.

How rare is this? Look at these numbers:

*655: Career carries before his first lost fumble.

*802: Career touches before his first lost fumble.

So ... yeah, rare.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/22/montee-ball-fumble-wisconsin-badgers-football/70000908/1#.U5Rwmtq9KSM

Here is something no one has ever said before: Wisconsin running back Montee Ball just lost a fumble.

On his third carry of the day against UTEP, Ball lost a fumble for the first time in his career.

How rare is this? Look at these numbers:

*655: Career carries before his first lost fumble.

*802: Career touches before his first lost fumble.

So ... yeah, rare.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/22/montee-ball-fumble-wisconsin-badgers-football/70000908/1#.U5Rwmtq9KSM

well, here is my take.

In an offense like this, If he starts and hangs onto the starting job I think he will get at least 1200 total yards and 5-8 TDS.

That being said, if a fumbling problem appears, that can change in a second. I think if there was a problem that may have been the reason he didn't get the start last year. It is possible that The team may have coached that problem out of him. (it does happen. coach teaches him a better way to hang onto the ball and makes him do it until it is second nature before giving him the start) Case in point: Tiki Barber. terrible fumbler early in his career.

anyhow, If the coaches & GM werent sure he had the issue under control It would have been irresponsible to let Moreno get away.

So this is not a question of will he be productive if he plays. I think he will be. This is a question of how much do you trust the coaching staff and the GM on the decision that was made.

You may argue that the two are interrelated and I guess you would be right. but The part you should be focused on is the Coaches and GM.

I dont think there is any doubt a pro calibre Running back playing in a Peyton Manning offense will put up numbers. That is a given.

Tan,

Your vague notion that 'the gods are not pleased' and they will 'smite' Ball for being anointed a top RB is high quackery at its best. Unless the kid blows an assignment and gets Peyton hurt he's a lock for 1000/8 + and I have him more likely putting up 1170/10 and 42/285/3. Our own happy house FFT has him projected at 1106/8 and 52/404/2. Next you'll be telling me the earth is only 6,000 years old...

Im only religeous when it comes to football. You could very well be right. However the 1100 10 and 1000 8 are the yearly predictions for every rb who is getting their shot to produce but has question marks. The 10 is laughable tho and he wont get 1000 rush yds, again just my prediction. 900 6.

Well, I consulted my crystal ball, the infamous 8 ball, a tarot card reader and looked at Ball's horoscope for this year... And they all say that your fantasy football gods are idiots!

So, at least he has that going for him!

Fair enough.

Are you serious? lol He fumbled TWICE in 934 carries in college. You don't simply turn into a "fumbler" in the NFL. The coaching staff isn't worried about it and the rest of the team isn't either, so why should you? Show me another RB that fumbled only TWICE in 934 carries.... I'll wait while you do your research. I love when people see a guy, a rookie at that, and put labels on a player without ever having done their research.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/nfl-former-badgers-rb-montee-ball-gets-fumble-fix-from/article_c86f745f-2c16-5372-a461-c430d4603339.html

There is your proof. Go ahead and refute it. I dare you. lol I'm not saying Ball will be a top 5 RB, but he's anything but a fumbler. In my personal opinion, he's the best buy low on the market due to totally idiotic posts like this. I've picked him up in two dynasty leagues for almost nothing. I gave up Lynch in one and the 1.10 rookie pick in another. I'll throw out my thoughts on his 2014 season stats - 1,250 yards rushing, 50 receptions for another 350 yards and 14 total TD's. Guess what? That's pretty damn good in any league. You think Decker is/was a better WR than Manuel? You are wrong again. Manuel has two things Decker didn't; His speed and his route running ability. He's shiftier than he is fast, but Decker was a product of the system and a product of Manning. They won't miss him. I do think the offense will be a bit more run oriented this year, especially considering they have their LT back. Also, look at Ball's stats over the 2nd half of the season. What did he average per carry? It was over 5 ypc. He is a flat out excellent pass protector (brought about by working all season on it) and he won't leave the field often. Please post more about how Ball is a bust so I can keep getting him lower in my drafts.

I think the writing was on the wall last year. John Fox sticks with veteran backs. If Moreno showed well, he was going to get the majority of touches. This year there really is no veteran out of the three options. I would expect ball to be the guy but I would need to handcuff with Cj anderson.

Are you serious? lol He fumbled TWICE in 934 carries in college. You don't simply turn into a "fumbler" in the NFL. The coaching staff isn't worried about it and the rest of the team isn't either, so why should you? Show me another RB that fumbled only TWICE in 934 carries.... I'll wait while you do your research. I love when people see a guy, a rookie at that, and put labels on a player without ever having done their research.

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/nfl-former-badgers-rb-montee-ball-gets-fumble-fix-from/article_c86f745f-2c16-5372-a461-c430d4603339.html

There is your proof. Go ahead and refute it. I dare you. lol I'm not saying Ball will be a top 5 RB, but he's anything but a fumbler. In my personal opinion, he's the best buy low on the market due to totally idiotic posts like this. I've picked him up in two dynasty leagues for almost nothing. I gave up Lynch in one and the 1.10 rookie pick in another. I'll throw out my thoughts on his 2014 season stats - 1,250 yards rushing, 50 receptions for another 350 yards and 14 total TD's. Guess what? That's pretty damn good in any league. You think Decker is/was a better WR than Manuel? You are wrong again. Manuel has two things Decker didn't; His speed and his route running ability. He's shiftier than he is fast, but Decker was a product of the system and a product of Manning. They won't miss him. I do think the offense will be a bit more run oriented this year, especially considering they have their LT back. Also, look at Ball's stats over the 2nd half of the season. What did he average per carry? It was over 5 ypc. He is a flat out excellent pass protector (brought about by working all season on it) and he won't leave the field often. Please post more about how Ball is a bust so I can keep getting him lower in my drafts.

Wtf? I couldnt trade leveon bell for ball even if i added in a little extra.