Sign in to follow this  
dain11279

Am I making too big of a deal out of this?

So I went to a Sabres game a couple weeks ago (I was gonna post a thread about it then but never got around to it) with my uncle. He owns a sports bar so one of his beer reps gave him 2 tickets in their suite. Awesome, free food and drinks, private bathroom and elevator, the works.

So we get there and they have sh1t for beer (miller and coors light). So we decide to take a walk down to the bar in between periods. I wasn't really in a beer mood so I got a double captain and coke (don't call me ghey-it's good :mad:)and my uncle got a pint of a local IPA. Before the bartender comes back I go to my uncle, "I'm guessing these drinks are gonna be outrageous, I'll go high and guess 18 bucks." The bartender comes back and says "that'll be $24" :shocking: I almost passed out.

Apparently my captain was $16 and his draught was $8. I've been to NYC, Vegas, many sporting events and never seen prices like that. Anyways, my question is is this the going rate nowadays? I find that to be highway robbery. Hell, you can buy a full bottle of captain for $25. It just floored me, I needed someone else's opinion :dunno:

That does seem a bit high for the liquor drink, but you did get a double, so double the price I guess. :dunno: Sporting events are the worst for drinking.

The cost of food / drinks / hell the cost of living (besides gasoline) right now is crazy to me. I started bringing my lunch to work a lot more than I used too. Almost daily now. You can't go out for a simple lunch anymore for less than 10 bucks. I guess you could go get a #2 at McDonalds but you know what I mean. A halfway decent lunch is 11 - 15 bucks, and thats for a sandwhich and some chips.

It really took me aback when I went grocery shopping for the first time in forever (my wife does it 99% of the time). I had like 6 bags of stuff. Just a quick little run. It was a 180 bucks and I didn't even buy much. I was like :shocking: when she rang it up. God forbid if I had to buy a full load for the family for the whole week or two. It'd be 300 bucks or more.

$8 is on the low end of non-crappy beer price at sporting events. Can't speak of hard liquor but they probably figure they can gouge you even more, especially a double.

Definitely high for a town like buffalo. The pint should've been a couple bucks less.

You sorta brought it on yourself with the double drink though - they charge you out the focking ass for liquor most places. It was probably still a bit high but I'd guess anything in the $12-14 range would be normal

That is definitely the going rate. For a 22 oz beer at Gillette (Patriots), it costs $12 in the peasant section. In the club, a tiny martini is like $18. They have no competition and they know you won't leave.

This is why I stopped going to live sporting events years ago; unless I get free tickets, and then I won't spend a dime inside.

"we" have the power to influence this bullsh!t, but we have to collectively decide to oppose it through our wallet, its the only way.

Oh I didn't realize this was at the actual arena. :doh: Yeah those prices are probably pretty typical, maybe even a bit cheap

Well it seems like that pretty much is the going rate, it's always seemed in the past if I went to a sporting event it'd be much cheaper then that :dunno:

And it was exactly 2 shots cuz they put those little contraptions on the end of the pourer to make sure it pours exactly 1 ounce. Still it's not like Captain is exactly top-shelf. I couldn't even imagine if I ordered a Grey Goose or Patron or something along those lines.

Wife and I just take in a flask.

You say you've been to Vegas. Last single scotch on rocks I got there, at Caesar's just waiting around, was $24.

not shocking at all.

what did they get you for parking? $40?

and yes, it is highway robbery - it is part of why I rarely go.

$14 for a double and $9 for a 16oz beer in the Super Dome. I usually drink up before I go in. But having twelve tickets, I usually have a few on those I gave the tickets to. Friends and business associates go to the games free.

not shocking at all.

what did they get you for parking? $40?

and yes, it is highway robbery - it is part of why I rarely go.

I think parking was $15, right across the street from the arena.

I'm starting to think that I'm in one of the "lucky" places as far as this stuff goes. Crazy.

You could maybe forgo the drinking and actually sit an enjoy the game sober...

I brought my kid to two games this year and went to the Atlanta game with my dad also and didn't drink. It's a very different experience without drinking.

I brought my kid to two games this year and went to the Atlanta game with my dad also and didn't drink. It's a very different experience without drinking.

:huh:

Had one drink before the game and the aforementioned captain. So I was sober and did enjoy the game, thanks :wave:

I'm starting to think that I'm in one of the "lucky" places as far as this stuff goes. Crazy.

in Boston - taking your family to a pro team is really a decision between going to the game or booking a cheap vacation cruise.

If I get good (lower level) seats for my family of four - I'm looking at $150 a seat ($600 total) plus parking ($50) plus $50 -$100 on some combo of drinks/snacks/program/souvenir.

And on a side note: I actually think the Movie Theater food in my area is MORE expensive than arena food.

And on a side note: I actually think the Movie Theater food in my area is MORE expensive than arena food.

Went to American Sniper with the mrs last weekend,two large soft drinks,a red licorice and a box of hot tamales equaled $21,I hadn't been in sometime and IF I go again forget snacks.

Had one drink before the game and the aforementioned captain. So I was sober and did enjoy the game, thanks :wave:

Cool...

With ticket prices through the roof and it becoming more and more expensive to attend a game, I don't know why anyone would want to drink a lot at a game, act like an ass and not remember a thing... If you are going to do that, stay at home and save your money...

Cool...

With ticket prices through the roof and it becoming more and more expensive to attend a game, I don't know why anyone would want to drink a lot at a game, act like an ass and not remember a thing... If you are going to do that, stay at home and save your money...

I can act like an ass without the booze :banana:

Did you happen tell the beer rep that gave you tickets to his suite or anybody else in the suite that the free beer they provided sucks?

Did you happen tell the beer rep that gave you tickets to his suite or anybody else in the suite that the free beer they provided sucks?

I have not yet. Meh, if we wanna get the tickets again we probably should just stay quiet. The food was good anyway :dunno:

This is why I stopped going to live sporting events years ago; unless I get free tickets, and then I won't spend a dime inside.

"we" have the power to influence this bullsh!t, but we have to collectively decide to oppose it through our wallet, its the only way.

"We" have influenced this. Apparently enough people are willing to pay that price.

I'm with you, I wouldn't pay it. Not for the ticket and definately not for the alcohol. Even if I was a lot richer, I still wouldn't. Feels like you're being robbed at those prices.

Our rep for Southern Tier Brewery (some geeks may have even heard of it) gave us 2 tickets for the Sabres game tonight in their suite. STB has a number of solid beers so I will not be ordering any $16 captain and cokes this time around :thumbsup:

TV in the suite will be nice to watch the Bills as well. Do they stand any chance?

Our rep for Southern Tier Brewery (some geeks may have even heard of it) gave us 2 tickets for the Sabres game tonight in their suite. STB has a number of solid beers so I will not be ordering any $16 captain and cokes this time around :thumbsup:

TV in the suite will be nice to watch the Bills as well. Do they stand any chance?

Brady and Belicheck are on the fawk you Goodell and ESPN tour. It's not looking good for anyone.

Brady and Belicheck are on the fawk you Goodell and ESPN tour. It's not looking good for anyone.

Sadly, I believe this to be true :(