Sign in to follow this  
itsbigmoni

Need a white mans perspective

So last friday was my brothers last day at his current job. He got a new job in Menlo Park so he'll be moving out of fresno. Where he works, its customary for a bunch of the people that work there to go out and get drinks. Since my brother knew he was gonna get faded he had me drop him off at work and then i just met him and his co-workers up at the bar after i got off from work. I went there with a friend of mine who's also brown, but doesn't have a turban. When we walked in he was like, this is my brother and my boy. Everyone assumed my friend was his brother because my brother doesn't have a turban so they figured they're the brothers and i'm the friend.

Anyways, thats not the part i'm trippin about. I sat down towards one side of the table and mostly kicked it with this white guy and two mexican guys. We were at the bar for maybe an hour and a half and then a lot of us left to go to a strip club. When i walk outside one of the mexican guys says come over here real quick, my friend chris (the white guy i was talkin to) wants to talk to you.

So I walk over there and he was like, man i just wanted to apologize. I was confused and asked why. He's all, when you first walked in, you know, i judged you. I was still confused. He said that with all the terrorist stuff goin on he was like who's this guy blah blah blah. Then he was like, but then we started talkin and you were hella coo and now i feel bad for judging you. I just wanted to say sorry for judging you and thinkin bad about you before i even met you.

Now, i don't think he's racist because i mean when i sat down i didn't get that vibe at all. We were jokin around and havin a good time. And if he was actually racist, he wouldn't have came up to me afterwards and apologized. But i still consider that like i dunno, racism in a way. Not sure if someone who isn't racist, can be accused of perpetuating racism.

To me, it kinda made me realize how i often i get judged on appearance and i wonder how much impact it has. This guy got to know me so it was cool. But it just made my belief stronger that white people are "racist." Again, i think most people wouldn't consciously act on it and if we were at the same table would give me a chance, but that doesn't happen all the time.

I had a better point before but i waited so long to type out this post (it happened last friday) that i forgot what it was. But yea, from your perspective, was that racism?

I mean, i could understand it a lil bit if i was some random guy at a bar. But he knew i was either his co-workers brother or good friend. You would think that he would hold judgement knowing that. Especially because him and my brother work together and get along real well.

I don't think he was judging you based solely on your race but because of the heightened sense of fear due to terrorism, (I'm not calling you a terrorist by the way) but because it's so previlant in society now people of middle eastern decent are going to be scrutinized more now then ever. Eventually it will subside and you won't be judged right of the bat but until then you got to deal I guess. It's like if a white guy was driving through the hood, (even if it's with a black guy) he'll still want to lock the doors just out of instict of danger then anything else. But then again I could just be full of shite.

Saying all white people are racist is just as racist as saying all turban wearin' yahoos are terrorists.

I think KSB nailed this one.

Sounds more like some drunk dude getting all sentimental to me......

Yepper.

Shoulda come back with "Sorry, I judged you to be gay. Now that I hear you babbling this Dr. Phil shiit, I know it to be true. Does that make me "homoist" - or just incredibly perceptive?"

Same boat no?

stereotyping to me more involves someone developing an opinion about someone in a presumptuous way and racism involves hatred towards someone in a presumptuous way

I think white people are racist are in the sense that i think that guy is racist. Like i don't think that guy is necessarily racist, but something. I don't know what to call it. Things like this happen all the time and i always wonder, am i getting worked up for no reason.

Another example would be, one time i went into krispy kreme with a friend after a movie. We get there and start lookin at what we're gonna get and a min or so later a lil older white couple (late 20's early 30's) comes in and starts lookin at the donuts. By the time we both decide (both couples) what we want we wait for someone to come to the counter. When the worked does (a white girl) finally come out, she automatically walks up to the white couple first and asks them what they want. We were both a step or two back from the donuts and i was actually closer to the register.

Again, am i reading too much into it from your perspective?

I think white people are racist

Then you, my friend, are racist.

HTH.

stereotyping to me more involves someone developing an opinion about someone in a presumptuous way and racism involves hatred towards someone in a presumptuous way

That makes sense. Does getting stereotyped over and over give me the right to hate "the man?" Because i think it would be kinda cool to blame everything on The Man. All my shortcomings wouldn't be my fault and i can play the victim. Maybe even go on welfare.

Then you, my friend, are racist.

HTH.

I like how you take half of what i said. I said i guess racist is the wrong word.

I think white people are racist are in the sense that i think that guy is racist. Like i don't think that guy is necessarily racist, but something. I don't know what to call it. Things like this happen all the time and i always wonder, am i getting worked up for no reason.

Another example would be, one time i went into krispy kreme with a friend after a movie. We get there and start lookin at what we're gonna get and a min or so later a lil older white couple (late 20's early 30's) comes in and starts lookin at the donuts. By the time we both decide (both couples) what we want we wait for someone to come to the counter. When the worked does (a white girl) finally come out, she automatically walks up to the white couple first and asks them what they want. We were both a step or two back from the donuts and i was actually closer to the register.

Again, am i reading too much into it from your perspective?

Yes. People are attracted to similar looking individuals when no other facts are known. You never notice when the reverse happens because it doesn't seem like a big deal.

That makes sense. Does getting stereotyped over and over give me the right to hate "the man?" Because i think it would be kinda cool to blame everything on The Man. All my shortcomings wouldn't be my fault and i can play the victim. Maybe even go on welfare.

I like how you take half of what i said. I said i guess racist is the wrong word.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Kids-Sitting-T...4919&sr=8-1

It's 4 bucks and an interesting read. Changed the way I look at things.

so by your story, which is all we have to go on, this dude admitted to you that he had made a snap judgement about you based on what colour and features you possess? sounds racist to me. if you see someone who is brown/middle eastern and you think" terrorist", then im sorry you are racist. :banana:

Honestly, who gives a fock? I have a shaved head and a goatee and have been told on numerous occasions that I look like a white supremacist, even called one at a bar by a dumb hippie chick. You know how much sleep I lost over it.........zero. And what kind of phag throws a mea culpa outside of a bar for such inconsequential sh!t? You should have told that jaggoff to grow a set. And who gives a flying fock if he is racist??? Its his goddam problem that HE has to live with. At what point in your life did someone promise you life was gonna be a cakewalk ?

This racism sh!t is soooo fockin tired. Can we please move on?

Honestly, who gives a fock? I have a shaved head and a goatee and have been told on numerous occasions that I look like a white supremacist, even called one at a bar by a dumb hippie chick. You know how much sleep I lost over it.........zero. And what kind of phag throws a mea culpa outside of a bar for such inconsequential sh!t? You should have told that jaggoff to grow a set. And who gives a flying fock if he is racist??? Its his goddam problem that HE has to live with. At what point in your life did someone promise you life was gonna be a cakewalk ?

This racism sh!t is soooo fockin tired. Can we please move on?

I admitted that i don't think the guy is racist nor people who make snap judgements. I don't know what to call that. Like i think even if i was applying for a job and it was up to him to hire me or not. Maybe he wouldn't give me a fair shake at first, but after he finishes the interview he wouldn't hold that same perception. He would go off of my ability and whatever else they're lookin for.

However, if you say who gives a fock about racism, you're a retard. If people are racist, does that mean a certain group of people will get paid less? Less jobs? Worse service? More prone to get pulled over? A harsher sentence by a judge? And i mean, who cares if those terrorist are racist. What did you say, "Its his goddam problem that HE has to live with." Yup, its the terrorists problem that he's racist, not all the innocent lives he takes like an idiot. Or KKK members. I mean, its THIER problem, not the person who is victimized by them right?

whats the difference between a towel head and a dot head?

Religion, cultures have similarities but thats different, food, music, a lot of stuff. I guess its kinda like all that drama between serbs, croations, and whoever else in that area that hates eachother. We can't tell the difference but if you a call a serb a croation, he'll be pissed.

Religion, cultures have similarities but thats different, food, music, a lot of stuff.

oh thanks - I thought one was a pull start and one was a push start. Thanks for clearing that up for me :banana:

However, if you say who gives a fock about racism, you're a retard. If people are racist, does that mean a certain group of people will get paid less? Less jobs? Worse service? More prone to get pulled over? A harsher sentence by a judge? And i mean, who cares if those terrorist are racist. What did you say, "Its his goddam problem that HE has to live with." Yup, its the terrorists problem that he's racist, not all the innocent lives he takes like an idiot. Or KKK members. I mean, its THIER problem, not the person who is victimized by them right?

Honestly, you're a moron, and not because you're brown.....you're just a moron. You think racism causes mass murder? Its MORONS who murder, they will always find a cause....jealousy, anger, insanity, perverted ideology etc etc. A murderer is a murderer is a murderer.....they will find a reason.

Terrorists do it for power....complete power....over their laws, their women, their religion, their speech, their haircuts etc. Its a power trip and they hate the west ideals of free will.

Got it dummy?

Honestly, you're a moron, and not because you're brown.....you're just a moron. You think racism causes mass murder? Its MORONS who murder, they will always find a cause....jealousy, anger, insanity, perverted ideology etc etc. A murderer is a murderer is a murderer.....they will find a reason.

Terrorists do it for power....complete power....over their laws, their women, their religion, their speech, their haircuts etc. Its a power trip and they hate the west ideals of free will.

Got it dummy?

I know we're off topic now, but i can not believe you don't think theres anything wrong with racism. What about all the other things i talked about.

i don't understand with all the durka durka

It all sounds to me like some drunk-much ado about nothing. At least he didn;t ask to suck your cack.

:rolleyes:

There are plenty of instances that people of every race or color will "misjudge" some one because of one reason or another. Guys do it all the time when they think someone is trying to ######-block them and it turns out he's just a social retard.

itsbigmoni, I read most of this thread. Please reread what you have posted here. It is very clear that you are the most racist M/F possible. You are also about an inch away from claiming the "entitlement" card. Please die.

Guest 14 Words

I don't really know what you are asking? I think a lot of White people have these sterotypes and natural distain for inferior mud people. How can you really blame us?

For me personally, my life has been a constant struggle to understand this concept. For example, I see black people and most of them I put in a catagory as a sub-species of humans that don't deserve to be walking side by side with us White People in a civilizied society. Every once in a while, some really awesome black dude comes into my life and I have to question all my beliefs about black people. It's funny, as soon as I start thinking that I have been wrong about the black race for all this time....because of one cool black person....some gangsta ni@@a or loud mouth sheboon will remind me that I was right all along.

I know we're off topic now, but i can not believe you don't think theres anything wrong with racism. What about all the other things i talked about.

The same brain that produced the crap I just annihilated most likely came up with the "other things you talked about", so I can only assume its equally sh!t.

I didnt say there isnt anything wrong with racism, but of all the things that actually CAN kill us....heart disease, cancer, aids, pneumonia, harsh winters, droughts, nuclear war etc etc....all you have to phucking do is ignore it and MOVE ON. Try just ignoring that other sh!t and then you'll see what real issues are all about.

I think it's pretty cool of the guy to come up and apologize for what happened inside his head. I mean honestly he could have not said anything and you would have never known right? I think he did the decent thing and told you he made a mistake.

I think the problem is, we are afraid of the things we know nothing, or little, about.

Not all of us white boys are racists. :blink:

If you want to find racism, you will. Don't worry about if this particular guy was or wasn't since he seemed cool about it. Just wait for some girl to not like you or some guy to rub you the wrong way and assume they are racist.

I had a better point before but i waited so long to type out this post (it happened last friday) that i forgot what it was. But yea, from your perspective, was that racism?

I mean, i could understand it a lil bit if i was some random guy at a bar. But he knew i was either his co-workers brother or good friend. You would think that he would hold judgement knowing that. Especially because him and my brother work together and get along real well.

Years ago, after growing up in the whitest of towns in Wisconsin, going to the U of Wis, I moved to Orlando. Moved there to get into the television/video business.

As a starting point I would take any job and was doing quite a bit of freelance work for a staging company. Light AV work, mostly it consisted of setting up and breaking down conventions. At one location that our company was often sent, we worked with the house group. Most of the people that worked at the house were just guys who worked there, pulled from anywhere, kitchen, custodial.... Pretty much to a man they were all black guys.

Now here is where the situation is a bit similar to what you encountered. From all my previous experience I really hadn't spent much time(practically none) with any black guys prior. Never really had any opportunity, so I was apprehensive about the sitution.

The first couple of times I'm out there, I end up working with the guys I knew from the staging company...ends up being a pain in the azz, cause it was a fixed rate job, it wasn't particularly tough, so they would just slack it until the end of the night.

Next time out there, I get assigned to lead the crew of house guys. So what happens, they bust their butts, we get done early. They are all really cool. Next few nights, same thing.

Find out from my boss after a couple of days, all the house guys are asking him that they be assigned with me, rather then the other guys from our company, cause I work hard and they thought the other guys were a bunch of lazy jerks, which was funny, cause I was asking my boss that I wanted to work with them, cause they work hard.

So why the long drawn out story. I don't think what you encountered was racism, but prejudice, maybe cause like I, he just hadn't had the opportunity to meet anyone of your ethnicity. He had preconceived notions, they were dispelled by you. Obviously they won't just go away, but perhaps due to his meeting you, he will be more open-minded in the future.

Just my .02 cents.

toro,

black people sit together in the cafeteria because whites are not open to blacks as much as they'd like to believe or else the book would be called, "why don't white people ever sit with the blacks?"

yes, it was racist of the that guy at the bar to think you were a terrorist. it's really ridiculous actually and to have people actually defend it should show you just how racist white folks are. to have anyone suggest that you are the racist is so outrageously stupid, it almost made me not post because i realize i'm discussing racial matters with fools.

sadly unless you look like white folk and talk like white folk, many (not all) tend to want to box you into some stereotype.

:afrosmiliewithfistup:

you could prolly stop wearing the turban and pretend to be mexican

toro,

black people sit together in the cafeteria because whites are not open to blacks as much as they'd like to believe or else the book would be called, "why don't white people ever sit with the blacks?"

yes, it was racist of the that guy at the bar to think you were a terrorist. it's really ridiculous actually and to have people actually defend it should show you just how racist white folks are. to have anyone suggest that you are the racist is so outrageously stupid, it almost made me not post because i realize i'm discussing racial matters with fools.

sadly unless you look like white folk and talk like white folk, many (not all) tend to want to box you into some stereotype.

also, it completely goes both ways. Ask anyoen that ever gre up/went to school in a black neighborhood. Color/race has nothing to do with it. If there are more than one of the other, the other gets picked on/ignored and is the target of racism. Thats the way it is. Everyone is inherently racist.

toro,

Actually, the book says otherwise. :first:

toro,

It's good that our resident African American racist chimed in on this subject. Thanks Peenie!!! :first:

I was unaware that people who wear turbans are a race. I guess that makes me racist.

Our military has a simple description of them - TARGET. :first:

you could prolly stop wearing the turban and pretend to be mexican

also, it completely goes both ways. Ask anyoen that ever gre up/went to school in a black neighborhood. Color/race has nothing to do with it. If there are more than one of the other, the other gets picked on/ignored and is the target of racism. Thats the way it is. Everyone is inherently racist.

I went to a school that was mostly black and Hispanic.

Those mother fockers never passed me the mother focking ball in basketball games. Stupid ass ball hogs. I'm wide open under the basket. Nope. Jack up another three ball with 4 defenders in your face. I can't tell you how many rebounds and put backs I got in games in the post because the jackass racists on my team would never throw me the ball. The other team shoots, I box out, and all four of my teammates are already at half court begging for the outlet pass. Yeah, white men can't jump, but when you lead your team in scoring and rebounding every game, doing it mostly on your own, maybe you consider dumping it into the post to the tallest guy on your team once in a while.

Focking racists. I sincerely hope each of them got cancer of the balls. :first: :banana:

So you agree that itsbigmoni is as big a racist, for thinking all white people are racist, as the guy how thought he was a terrorist.

Itsbigmoni did you have the nerve to apologize to the guy you thought was a racist but as it turned out really wasn't? I bet you didn't which seems to me to make you a racist and a hypocrite.

Peenie as to your statement above I believe all groups blacks, hispanics, whites, whomever, all tend to box people into a stereotypes if the don't look or act like themselves.