Sign in to follow this  
RicemanX

Looking to buy a new used car

So its a combination of a dying car, nice new salary, and parents' + relatives graduation gifts that made me decide I need to get a new used car.

I can buy around a 25k car without getting into any financial difficulties.

I was thinking about a 2003-04 BMW 325 or 2005-06 Audi A4.

Two questions:

- What do you guys think about those cars?

- Any other cars you guys would recommend?

So its a combination of a dying car, nice new salary, and parents' + relatives graduation gifts that made me decide I need to get a new used car.

Two questions:

Audi's are tough on maintenance costs.

Go with an Accord V6 or a Camry. Oh wait, you are young. Go with a Jeep.

Two questions:

You should go with a the BMW :rolleyes: I work on BMW's everday at the auto shop here in Orangeville and they are very good automobiles. We'll off to Reagan's bar now !

:cheers:

Sux

Two questions:

One question: Are you fockin' nuts?

Repairs on those cars are ridiculously expensive, not to mention the insurance. Spend $15K on a nice Toyota or Nissan and invest the rest for the DP your first home.

Do not buy any car without checking what ins will run.

YWIA

i'm a bimmer guy myself. bought my 01 new... 105k miles and very few probs (only typical landmark stuff).

just food for thought...... i have done 2 euro-deliveries. next to the birth of my child and wedding, best experiences of my life.

1 series is close to your range.... i went through an auto-broker and saved a lot more.

:shocking: prost!

get a scion...

then get those little monsters to eat your tires and throw up on the vehicle... you'll get new rims and this sweet electric lime green paint job yo...

treat yourself to one of the newer nissan maximas... they are classy, yet the parts and labor wouldn't be as bad as a BMW or audi...

another thing to consider is buying a car that can be repaired anywhere...

my parents recently purchased an acura, when they had a problem with it they had to take it in to the acura dealership in des moines (150 miles away) because no honda dealerships in the area would touch it. you live on the west coast so i'm sure it's easier... but just something to consider

Spend $15K on a nice Toyota or Nissan

:shocking: Ive had the 350Z for a few years now with no problems. Sporty, decent gas mileage and fun get around ride

:nono:

You should go with a the BMW :shocking: I work on BMW's everday at the auto shop here in Orangeville and they are very good automobiles. We'll off to Reagan's bar now !

:overhead:

Sux

:lol:

1: I / We don't like the ergonomics of BMW's

2: I / We don't work on them every day (unless you / I have to)

3: It's Orangevale, you retard

4: You / I only go to Regans when we don't have to work the next day :nono:

Two questions:

bmw's and audi's are for yuppy phags....pahg

shut the fock up and buy a real ###### car you fockingn fagoot

Two questions:

Yeah...I'd probably echo what some others have said and go with a Toyota or a Nissan. Also, if you can find a reasonably priced Hyundai, they aren't bad either and they often come with a ridiculous warranty package.

I've owned a Camry in the past and it ran pretty well for a LONG time...no major problems, just a bunch of little repairs, especially towards the end. Now, I drive a Toyota Yaris, and I like it so far -- gets great gas mileage (which is important to me), drives well, and has more interior room than you'd think just by looking at it.

Good luck though in whatever you decide to buy... :first:

Don't waste $25k on your new car. That is an awful investment, especially considering it is your first car.

You can get a very nice used Camry/Accord for 10 to 15k.

Don't waste $25k on your new car. That is an awful investment, especially considering it is your first car.

:shocking:

I can understand wanting a classy car, but why don't you get one that doesn't need the care and feeding of a german car. If you do get one, buy every extended warranty they try to throw at you and ask the dealer if they provide free loaner cars when you have your car in the shop.

I would stick with the cars that are made by Ricemen. :shocking:

An Acura TL is a sweet ride. :(

Buy yourself a pickup.

1) Chicks dig um :music_guitarred:

2) You are going to be moving alot in the next few years and you can do it yourself.

3) When Cisco ships your asss to Fargo, ND you'll be able to drive through the snow :cry:

One question: Are you fockin' nuts?

Repairs on those cars are ridiculously expensive, not to mention the insurance. Spend $15K on a nice Toyota or Nissan and invest the rest for the DP your first home.

Do not buy any car without checking what ins will run.

YWIA

:thumbsup:

Fock that Camry/Accord shiot, you are young. Before you know it you'll be married with 2.3 kids driving a minivan around. Get a Mustang or comparable muscle car of your choice.

You can save yourself some serious $ if you shop instead for a

used car that is not new. Try looking for an older used car. :bandana:

HTH.

Two questions:

This maybe one of the dumber moves in your young life Rice. Your going to waste about 25k getting a car that's worthless in about 10 years. For what really? To look shawp and get poosay? :angry:

Here.... make yourself an investment get one of these

1965 Ford Mustang Fastback - $20000

or

1966 Mustang Convertible - $18500

or

68 Mustang - $9500

Have the car be worth 10k more in 10 years than it is now... rather than buy a new crapass bmw or audi and in 10 years hope you can get 5k trade in.

Plus if it's a poosay factor.... sheesh... you'd have to peel the poosay off your hood with one of these cars! :dunno:

Also... if your not a mustang guy.. check out this badass website that shows all the old kinda cars that are up for sale nowish:

Awsome site combines classified and auction listings from everywhere.

The only thing that I will add is that, since you are working at Cisco and you are trying to kick start your career (did you do that notebook thingy?), then you better have a car that is going to get you to work on time every day. One of the few guys that I had to fire had a Mustang convertible that would crap the bed on him every once in a while. He thought that car trouble was a good excuse when he did not want to show up on time. He also used his dog as an excuse.

Don't be that guy. At this point in your life, women are not going to have sex with you because of your car. When you are 17 and when you are 50, that crap will work. Otherwise, go with something that is going to make sense from a $$ standpoint and from a reliability standpoint. You can use the extra $$ to take some hottie out to a nice dinner or a night out on the town.

I just got a "used" Toyota FJ Cruiser. I love everything about the vehicle.

Was it the two doors, the plastic interior, or the hideous exterior that pulled you in?

similar situation at the end of '06/beg of '07

in january, got a 2005 nissan altima w/25k miles for 12.5K

had to drive to cleveland to get it, but the same car/year/mileage here in buffalo was at best 14.5K (poor used car selection in the area obviously)

no complaints here

Two questions:

For that money, in that situation, why not treat yourself and buy a new V6 Accord Coupe? Seriously. I drive an Accord V6 - they are fast and reliable, keep up their value, have every safety feature standard, and are cheap to insure. review link

Used '04-'07 Acura TSX or TL sedans are also very good choices.

For that money, in that situation, why not treat yourself and buy a new V6 Accord Coupe? Seriously. I drive an Accord V6 - they are fast and reliable, keep up their value, have every safety feature standard, and are cheap to insure. review link

Used '04-'07 Acura TSX or TL sedans are also very good choices.

You have the right idea. I've been leaning away from the BMWs and Audis after hearing about the maintenance costs and insurance.

I've been driving a 91 accord for the last 8 years, so I'm very happy with getting a new accord V6.

But I also would love an 04 Acura TL.

Guess an Asian guy can't escape from the Asian products

You have the right idea. I've been leaning away from the BMWs and Audis after hearing about the maintenance costs and insurance.

I've been driving a 91 accord for the last 8 years, so I'm very happy with getting a new accord V6.

But I also would love an 04 Acura TL.

Guess an Asian guy can't escape from the Asian products

i have owned 3 bmw's since 99 and haven't found the maintenance costs to be very high.... how many people stating so have owned them?

other cars in the family over the same time frame:

saturn- sedan (92)

jeep- laredo (91)

land rover- discovery I (98)

honda- accord (02)

audi- A6 wagon (03)

all, except the audi (which is about the same as the bmw), were in the shop more

For 25k you can get a loaded new Avenger R/T they look pretty good and get great reviews on Edmonds.

GM is having a 0% sale on many of their cars

Thanks KSB. Yea, I'm 22 (23 in a month), live in Cali, and making almost 6 figures. I think I have the right to splurge on something. I don't plan on having a wife or family until 30. I don't plan on buying a house in California. I think the best route is to buy a nice car and making it rain every saturday at the clubs.

Thanks KSB. Yea, I'm 22 (23 in a month), live in Cali, and making almost 6 figures. I think I have the right to splurge on something. I don't plan on having a wife or family until 30. I don't plan on buying a house in California. I think the best route is to buy a nice car and making it rain every saturday at the clubs.

Six figures in Cali or NYC is like 50K everywhere else so treat yourself, but don't get to crazy and buy a 40K vehicle and finance over 6 years or something really dumb like that.

Let us know what you get. :huh:

Six figures in Cali or NYC is like 50K everywhere else so treat yourself, but don't get to crazy and buy a 40K vehicle and finance over 6 years or something really dumb like that.

Let us know what you get. :thumbsup:

I will be safe. I've limited myself to around a 20k car. I don't want to buy it until April, when I'm a few months into my job and I can make sure I like the job.

But a good question is when I should start looking if I want to buy in April?

new used?

I will be safe. I've limited myself to around a 20k car. I don't want to buy it until April, when I'm a few months into my job and I can make sure I like the job.

But a good question is when I should start looking if I want to buy in April?

Some random thoughts from an old fart.

There is a difference between shopping and buying. Shop whenever you feel like it. Don't buy until "all your stars are aligned." You are right to wait to make sure you like working for Cisco. When shopping, leave checkbook, CC's et. al. at home. Only take a few bucks with you so you CAN'T make an impluse decision.

Test drive all models you are thinking of buying.

Check ins rates for models you have narrowed it down to. The differences can be HUGE. Most ins co's I've worked with give males a break at 22 (again at 24-25). Rates are locked for a year. If you have to wait a month until you are 22 and save $120 a month, that means that in the first year, you save $1,440. Maybe enough for the first repair. Way more than enough to up your deductables on Comp and Coll $250-$500 saving you even more.

Most young people look at the world and say "What's $100 a month when I make $X?" I look at it in terms of "Well, that's an all-inclusive vac to Cancun" for a week for my first vac after a year. Free, because I was smart enough to buy the right car, rent the right place, etc.

Being cheap and smart are 2 different things. Cheap is keeping a '91 vehicle for too long, smart is buying a vehicle that won't be a burden, is inexpensive to maintain and insurance cost doesn't stop you from doing other things in life that you want to do.

GL

you seem like a mazda miata typa guy.

Do they still make Pontiac Fiero's? That would be my first choice. <_<

screw a Honda, if you really want to splurge like you said, go with your original inclination. My brother has a Mercedes CLK500 just like that and it's a great car. You can get an '04 or '05 for around $25K.

You should go with the Benz, or a 350Z/Infinit G35 coupe. Any of those 3 fit everything you're looking for. :wall: