Sign in to follow this  
Pimptaddy

The biggest fantasy busts of 2008!

Which players will be a top pick and then get hurt or perform poorly?

Basically guys taken in the first two rounds qualify as highly drafted players.

My pick: Braylon Edwards

F U says the guy who just traded for Braylon

first of all, I'm not sure if anyone in the first 2 rounds will be a bust, but here are my nominations in order that I think they are likely to "bust"

#1 Braylon Edwards - Were the Browns for real? Will Anderson be healthy? If not, can Quinn produce? WR is easiest to "bust"

#2 Ryan Grant - How much will not having Favre affect the run game? How many 8-9 man box's will he see?

#3 Clinton Portis - Injury, Injury, Injury. Also could start seeing even more RBBC in DC, as well as shaky QB play

#4 Larry Johnson - History says that RB's NEVER recover from their 400+ carry season, also his whole team sux

#5 Jamal Lewis - Was last year an abberition? Will this year be like his year after 2000yards in Baltimore? (injury) then (sucking)

#6 Willis McGahee - Defenses will dare whoever their QB is to beat them, thus focusing on stopping the run.

There ya go. Doubt any become a bust, but each of them have big question marks about either themselves or their teams.

first of all, I'm not sure if anyone in the first 2 rounds will be a bust, but here are my nominations in order that I think they are likely to "bust"

#1 Braylon Edwards - Were the Browns for real? Will Anderson be healthy? If not, can Quinn produce? WR is easiest to "bust"

#2 Ryan Grant - How much will not having Favre affect the run game? How many 8-9 man box's will he see?

#3 Clinton Portis - Injury, Injury, Injury. Also could start seeing even more RBBC in DC, as well as shaky QB play

#4 Larry Johnson - History says that RB's NEVER recover from their 400+ carry season, also his whole team sux

#5 Jamal Lewis - Was last year an abberition? Will this year be like his year after 2000yards in Baltimore? (injury) then (sucking)

#6 Willis McGahee - Defenses will dare whoever their QB is to beat them, thus focusing on stopping the run.

There ya go. Doubt any become a bust, but each of them have big question marks about either themselves or their teams.

First, I love that you're predicting an injury. Second, on what basis are you thinking there will be more RBBC? Third, are you saying shaky because of Campbell's last two preseason games? He'll only be better with another year under his belt.

First, I love that you're predicting an injury. Second, on what basis are you thinking there will be more RBBC? Third, are you saying shaky because of Campbell's last two preseason games? He'll only be better with another year under his belt.

it just seems like every year, "something" happens with him to where he isn't effective or misses time. I'm not predicting an "injury" so to speak, but I am predicting that he get's sand in his vag!na and becomes less effective after week 4, with an ocasional "breakout" game that will prevent people from benching him. Bettes I think will eat more and more into his carries as well. Also, Campbell very well could break out, but I just don't trust him.

I am with you on Braylon. He is talented, but I am not sold on Anderson as a stud QB. Brady is also not ready to play big time ball and he would hurt Braylon's stats if he started. Look at last years first two rounds and tell me what you see. So many RBs were busts and either got hurt or were crap players. In general the only Browns player I would want is Winslow. I am also not sold on Jamal Lewis and feel he will either get hurt or get shut down alot. The guy did not magically find the fountain of youth in Cleveland.

Honest opinion? Adrian Peterson. <_< Yes, he is a mega-talent....and now defenses know it all to well. They will game plan him, much like they did Bush last season, particularly since the Vikes have not proven a legit passing game. He also takes too many direct hits and is a major injury risk. Oh yeah, he will have a monster game here and there if healthy against poor D's, but while time-sharing with Taylor, will not live up to the hype or warrant a #1 or #2 pick. By the way, before you rip me too hard, recal to mind SJ and LJ last season. Anyone "dumb" enough to predict a bust season for them about this time last season would have been laughed off the forum.

Ryan Grant- Just red how his carries will be reduced this because they want to put Brandon Jackson in the mix

The only guys I feel will totally bust are McGahee and DA.

McGahee because he's not going to be able to pad his stats during the first three quarters. RR will eat into his touches. The BAL line isn't what it used to be. C'mon, Cam Cameron didn't make Brown or LT, they made him. His work ethic sucks.

DA because teams may have him figured out. Last few games of '07 exposed him. Still prone to throwing bad picks. Cleveland as a team has not looked good this preseason. I know, it doesn't count and one shouldn't invest too much thought into it, but they have looked uninspired. Not a good way to start off. Their schedule is tough.

I'll also add Fitzgerald IF Leinart somehow finds his way back into the huddle. All any QB has to do is get it within 6 feet of Larry and he'll do the rest. Somehow, Leinart fails even at this.

it just seems like every year, "something" happens with him to where he isn't effective or misses time. I'm not predicting an "injury" so to speak, but I am predicting that he get's sand in his vag!na and becomes less effective after week 4, with an ocasional "breakout" game that will prevent people from benching him. Bettes I think will eat more and more into his carries as well. Also, Campbell very well could break out, but I just don't trust him.

ummm....not predicting injury?

I've been avoiding Braylon early too. I love the talent, but I just have questions about his supporting cast. Of all the big name WR's, I think he carries the most risk. I don't think he'll be a total bust, but I don't project him to be top 5.

Also not high on Andre Johnson. Basically the same story as Braylon, with added injury risk. Again I'd rather take a guy like Housh, Fitz, Wayne, etc.

As for RB's, avoiding Grant (even before the latest news), McGahee, and Lynch.

adrian peterson is a definite candidate

1. he is a HUGE injury risk. he has a deep injury history, after all this is the same guy that got injured diving into the endzone after a td at oklahoma.

2. he was definitely stoppable last year. just ask DET, PHI, CHI, WAS, DEN, all teams who held him to under 4 yds per carry in a game. not to mention the stud defense of SF holding him to 3 yards on 14 carries.....

3. he is incredibly inconsistent. consider his big games, and then consider #2 in this list.

4. still without a decent passing game, its still gonna be adrian vs the world

p.s. his line isnt getting any younger either....

despite all this, the man is a specimen. he could definitely end up being a top 3 back this year, but im guessing BUST

Ryan Grant- Just red how his carries will be reduced this because they want to put Brandon Jackson in the mix

Sorry dude but read that clipping better. It states they want to LIMIT GRANT TO 20 CARRIES A GAME. They also want him to catch passes. That wouls still be 320 carriea a season. Add possibly another 40-60 catches based on last year.

I see Grant with 1200-1500 yards and 10-14 TD's. Add in 300-400 in recieving yards.

The team will run the same offense as last year. The passing game will be effective enough.

The topic says and why, where is your why????

I saw a post where someone pointed out that Adrian Petersen may be able to overcome a lot of the "planning" defenses do to prepare for him. San Diego probably figured out that he was going to run on them by mid-game last year when he set the all time rushing record for a single game in his rookie season. He is a dominate player. Get used to it.

I saw a post where someone pointed out that Adrian Petersen may be able to overcome a lot of the "planning" defenses do to prepare for him. San Diego probably figured out that he was going to run on them by mid-game last year when he set the all time rushing record for a single game in his rookie season. He is a dominate player. Get used to it.

Peterson, Grant, and SJackson

The team will run the same offense as last year. The passing game will be effective enough.
uh....without Favre slinging hte ball all around the yard....the passing game may not be effective. I'm not sure if I want Grant with any QBs fist year under center.

I've got Worthlessburger as my bust....just don't see him making his ADPs. And I keep hearing how they have the toughest schedule in the NFL....play outdoors in cold, wintry weather in the AFC North.

Since this is a crap shoot of a thread, let me pull a few names out of the hat:

AD - for all the reasons earlier posters have stated.

Ronnie Brown and Rudi Johnson - I wouldn't want them on my team this year.

Chad Johnson - I would recommend that you stay far away from him.

Andersen - I am not sure he was just a one trick pony, and can't see him repeating or besting last years totals.

With those defensive hits to the league, I don't see the Chargers or Giants at the top of the list this year.

Braylon is an elite talent, the only way he busts is if the qb play in cleveland is absolutely horrible. I don't see that happening. Even with mediocre play at qb, braylon will put up top 5 numbers, book it!

Busts I see are Lynch, Grant, LJ(though not much is expected of him)

Steven Jackson. I think he'll still clock 900-1100 rushing and 200-300 receiving, plus 5-8 TDs, but for a clear cut top-four draft pick, that ranks as a bust to me (since you could get the same production from any pick in the 5-14 range). Why? Because he missed camp, because St Louis o-line is ragged, because Bulger and Holt/Bennett will have trouble keeping extra defenders focused on the passing game, because S-Jax and Bulger are both in just-got-paid mode after clocking fat contracts, because the defense still stinks which will force St Louis to abandon the run early and will overburden the offense, and because the St Louis SOS for rushers is pretty rough. I love the guy as a player, but I think 2008 will not be a good year for him.

I also predict that about half of 2007's breakout players will miss their targets by a fair margin, based purely on the fact that many of them could easily be one-hit-wonders. That includes Ryan Grant, Selvin Young, Earnest Graham, Derek Anderson, and David Garrard.

85 - He's pretty inconsistent game to game, now with this, who knows

Lynch - Too bad I drafted him 15 minutes before Walker got injured. If Walker's out for a good period of time, I don't see Peters coming back. Lynch wil turn into 2/3 round value

Mcgahee - I'm very low on him to begin with, + Rice now

FWP

Maroney

His carries per game will be reduced...McCarthy does not want him getting 30 carries a game...more like 20. Only 3 games last year did he have more than 20 carries. They also said they want to get him more involved in the passing game.

I don't see it as affecting him much.

Marion Barber

His pounding style leaves him open to injury. He will be getting more carries than he ever has before being the #1 guy and I believe that he could be similar to Brandon Jacobs from a risk standpoint.

One thing I don't understand on this forearm is why people think the drafting of Chris Johnson by the Titans in the first round means that the Titans are unhappy with LenDale White but the drafting of Felix Jones in the first round by Dallas doesn't have the same meaning regarding Barber... hmmmm.

Oh, I forgot to include Peyton Manning and Romo. I think by the end of the year, their value won't be what they're being taken for. Still good, but bad value.

Marion Barber

His pounding style leaves him open to injury. He will be getting more carries than he ever has before being the #1 guy and I believe that he could be similar to Brandon Jacobs from a risk standpoint.

One thing I don't understand on this forearm is why people think the drafting of Chris Johnson by the Titans in the first round means that the Titans are unhappy with LenDale White but the drafting of Felix Jones in the first round by Dallas doesn't have the same meaning regarding Barber... hmmmm.

umm, you're kidding right? MBIII>>>>>>Lendale. FJ was drafted as another weapon. he'll be used in in certain situations, along with sets with both guys on the field. imo, MBIII is one of the safest 1st round picks. he's gonna get the ball, he's gonna score, and defenses will be off balance with all the weapons on that team.

i'm staying away from mcgahee this yr. already hurt, Rice chompin at his heals. he's gonna be out of the league in the next couple yrs.

Finally, people are realizing how overrated McGahee is; at least for Bills fans, they figured it out over a year ago and shipped him off to Baltimore. McGahee has been going to early in fanatsy drafts for years.

randy moss

for where hes being picked and his ADP, not saying an injury but dont expect last season stats..not to say he shouldnt be selected as one of the top 2-3 wideouts but more like 13 tds is what i see, i would take T.O. over his this year....

Finally, people are realizing how overrated McGahee is; at least for Bills fans, they figured it out over a year ago and shipped him off to Baltimore. McGahee has been going to early in fanatsy drafts for years.

I agree. but last season he did have a stretch of like 7-8 games where he had 1 TD in each of those games. Pretty consistent and helpful to fantssy owners during the stretch. But, yeah..hes a clown and I dropped him this year.

McGahee, Derek Anderson and LJ have already been mentioned.

Frank Gore- injury prone, never scored more then 7 TD's. Martz will help the passing game, Gore will be underwhelming for a 1st round pick.

Patrick Crayton- Not really so much a bust, he just wont be the sleeper some envision him as. No way he scores 7 times again.

Greg Jennings- I can't beleive how high this guy is still going. A total product of Bret Favre. I'd be shocked to see him score more then 5 times. Driver will still be Driver though

Matt Forte- I wouldn't touch any Chicago Bear, and he is the most draftable. I hear he's good, but he would have to be on Walter Payton's level to do sh!t in this offense.

Chris Chambers- again, not really a bust, I just don't like how high he's going. He's WAyyyyy back as the 3rd option (possibly 4th depending on how much you like V. Jackson) on a run first team. You can get several guys with way more upside after his ADP (including Jackson and I dont really like him either)

Julius Jones- I've been trying to talk myself into liking him since the Hawks signed him. He's just a bigger, slightly more talented Maurice Morris. Keeping my fingers crossed on Justin Forsett.

Greg Jennings- I can't beleive how high this guy is still going. A total product of Bret Favre. I'd be shocked to see him score more then 5 times. Driver will still be Driver though

Watch him play...its more than just a product of Brett Favre.

He will not duplicate 12 TDs...but should get around 8-9....if he stays healthy.

You don't blow by Dre Bly and make a great move in to the ball just on Favre.

You don't split defenders like he did time and time again just because of Favre.

How high is he going.

Looks like his ADP from what I have seen is around 4.11.

Just ahead of guys like Cotchery, Bowe, Evans, Ward, Berrian, Chambers.

Seems about right.

And I agree Driver is the better value at about 6.08.

But with his age, and drops so far, he may be moving more towards yielding his #1 spot soon.

In a year or so, IMO, he will be a slot WR to Jennings and Jones being the outside guys.

Greg Jennings won't bust. He's got serious skills. He has been nothing short of good in the NFL and often great in games, and he dominated college football too. I think he could step up even more this year.

it just seems like every year, "something" happens with him to where he isn't effective or misses time.

= I Never owned him until 2006 when he got hurt, so now he's perma shite

= I Never owned him until 2006 when he got hurt, so now he's perma shite

I owned him when he was with Denver.

Greg Jennings won't bust. He's got serious skills. He has been nothing short of good in the NFL and often great in games, and he dominated college football too. I think he could step up even more this year.

The fact that his two biggest supporters are a Jennings owner and a Packers homer makes me feel better about my prediction.

Not knocking his talent, I'm knocking his QB situation. 4th round is too expensive.

The fact that his two biggest supporters are a Jennings owner and a Packers homer makes me feel better about my prediction.

Not knocking his talent, I'm knocking his QB situation. 4th round is too expensive.

Because we were the first two to respond to you makes us his two biggest supporters?

I am going to say Westbrook and Rothelisberger. I have no grounds to back this up other than the fact that I drafted both of them and I am seeking a bit of reverse psychology here.

Since this post I think was originally designed to determine a "bust" based on his ADP, I will say Brady. I think he is going to have another excellent season, just not one to warrant a top 6 pick..IMO of course.