Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

The *official* help out the future father

Ummm, yeah. So wifey is getting in the "nesting" mode and it looks like I have got to go and buy a bunch of stuff. Never had a kid so all this is foreign territory. There are convertible cribs, portable cribs, cribs that can change to toddler beds, all kinds of cribs. There are changing tables, changing tables that have drawers, tall ones and short ones. There are these pack n play thingy's and bassinets and gliders and stuff.

So what the hell do I really need? What is a waste of money? What is a good name brand that is really safe yet inexpensive?

My MIL is trying to pawn off my wife's old crib and matching furniture from when she was a baby. The focking thing has been sitting in an attic for a couple decades, that isn't safe to use is it? :wacko:

Not to mention I havn't even thought about car seats and strollers and things yet.

My head is spinning, help a redneck out. :rolleyes:

Ummm, yeah. So wifey is getting in the "nesting" mode and it looks like I have got to go and buy a bunch of stuff. Never had a kid so all this is foreign territory. There are convertible cribs, portable cribs, cribs that can change to toddler beds, all kinds of cribs. There are changing tables, changing tables that have drawers, tall ones and short ones. There are these pack n play thingy's and bassinets and gliders and stuff.

So what the hell do I really need? What is a waste of money? What is a good name brand that is really safe yet inexpensive?

My MIL is trying to pawn off my wife's old crib and matching furniture from when she was a baby. The focking thing has been sitting in an attic for a couple decades, that isn't safe to use is it? :wacko:

Not to mention I havn't even thought about car seats and strollers and things yet.

Hand your wife a credit card and tell her to shop on Sunday when you are watching the game.... :lol:

All of this stuff is for women to decide, not men.

Let your wife handle this crap, it's her baby to take care of, not yours.

Hand your wife a credit card and tell her to shop on Sunday when you are watching the game.... :rolleyes:

My God, hells no. She is a woman. A nesting, horomonal woman. If I did that she would come back with a focking U-Haul full of stuff and 10K on the credit card.

My MIL is trying to pawn off my wife's old crib and matching furniture from when she was a baby. The focking thing has been sitting in an attic for a couple decades, that isn't safe to use is it? :doublethumbsup:

Your wife survived, didn't she?

Mrs. DaveBG and I are in the same boat. In fact, she's already had friends asking her if we want this or that, but the problem is we don't even know WTF half this stuff is. She's going to register w/her girlfriend this Sat (mostly so she can figure out what all the terminology is.)

While I could give a rat's ass about most of the stuff (I mean, everything comes in white, yellow, pink or blue. We are having a boy, so buy lot's of blue and no pink. Problem solved, right?) she's going to hold off on picking out any furniture. I want to be involved in that since those are the big ticket items and I will be the one who gets to put all that crap together.

Your wife survived, didn't she?

But it was new back then. Now it has rusted parts, possible missing screws, not to mention prolly wouldn't pass current standards. For focks sake it prolly is loaded with lead paint. Or am I being overly cautious? :doublethumbsup:

Get used on everything. Crib, car seats, strollers, everything.

Find a friend who has a kid who is a couple of years older. He will gladly give you his stuff since it is just cluttering up his house. I hooked up one of my friends with everything but clothes (he had a girl and I have boys).

If you can't do that, go on Craigslist or eBay. As long as you have something that is relatively recent, then it should be good for furniture and strollers. Car seats could be tricky as I don't know the law on whether you can sell used ones. :doublethumbsup:

first, good luck and congrats!

next, if the crib is viable from a structural standpoint, save yourself $500 bucks and just replace the mattress. they make these microbial covers that go under the sheet but above the mattress to keep pee from getting in the mattress.

rotate the baby from one side to his back to the other side when sleeping so his head doesn't get flat in one place.

the furniture from the mil, use it, enjoy it, and in 2 or 3 years, take it back to her basement.

look for a stroller/car seat combo in consumer reports, find one or 2 you like, go look at them at a store, then shop, shop, shop, until you find a smokin deal on it. don't just go to babies r us and flop out the credit card. look on ebay or in the paper. you don't need a brand new stroller to take your kid on 5 walks over the next 10 months. the car seat part is important, but the baby won't fit it in after about 7 months. you have to go buy another one then. spend your money on that one.

learn to swaddle the baby tightly in a blanket. you will enjoy much peace throughout the first couple of months.

get up and get the baby when it's time to nurse, bring him in and take him back to bed. she'll feel like you're involved and care.

take him now and then and give her time alone. chemicals in her brain change after the birth.

save up for breast implants because she'll like the look when the milk comes in and want it back when it leaves.

First off congrats. Do not above anything else, get a bassinet or allow the baby to sleep in your room :doublethumbsup: .

Do buy a monitor and have it next to the wife's side of the bed and or where ever you may not be.

You can get a high chair that converts to a child's table when needed, those are nice as they get older.

NEVER let your wife or you hold the baby in the front seat of the car....therefore get a good car seat; if it can be part of a stroller then all the better.

We had a crib set that doubled later as a childs bed, don't remember the make, but it went through two of our kids and two of our nephews. Colors are neutral enough, which is always better than the damn pink & blue standards.

Don't buy an experts book on how to be a good parent, you've already failed if you do. Research is fine, but these experts are in the business to make money and sell you follow on books.

Good luck.

I want to be involved in that since those are the big ticket items and I will be the one who gets to put all that crap together.

Yeah, thats my deal. I don't give a rats ass about the bedding or clothes or stuff. However if I am paying for the big stuff and I have to put it together then I want to make sure we get the best crib and furniture for the price as well as not waste money on stuff we don't need. That is why I was trying to get a little feedback from the peanut gallery. I mean did ya'll really need that bassinet thing AND a crib. Wouldn't it be better to get one of those dressers that has a changing table on top of it rather than buying them seperately? Stuff like that. :doublethumbsup:

Yeah, thats my deal. I don't give a rats ass about the bedding or clothes or stuff. However if I am paying for the big stuff and I have to put it together then I want to make sure we get the best crib and furniture for the price as well as not waste money on stuff we don't need. That is why I was trying to get a little feedback from the peanut gallery. I mean did ya'll really need that bassinet thing AND a crib. Wouldn't it be better to get one of those dressers that has a changing table on top of it rather than buying them seperately? Stuff like that. :thumbsdown:

i have a bassinet that the baby slept in for about 3 weeks. then you realize how much nicer it is to have the baby in another room and in the bigger bed. the bassinet now sits in a room holding books and hangars and other various shtuff. what it's not holding is the $200 that i would like to have back.

we did fine without a changing table. extra money you don't need to spend.

Have a focking baby shower and have everyone else pay for it. Next question.

i have a bassinet that the baby slept in for about 3 weeks. then you realize how much nicer it is to have the baby in another room and in the bigger bed. the bassinet now sits in a room holding books and hangars and other various shtuff. what it's not holding is the $200 that i would like to have back.

we did fine without a changing table. extra money you don't need to spend.

Bassinette is not really necessary. We just had a crib.

I disagree on the changing table. It is helpful when you have a really messy diaper to have all of the stuff right there, you are not on your knees, and you are not worried about getting crap on the rug (those mats never cover everything). When we were done with the changing table, we threw it in the basement and that is where the kids keep their shoes and boots.

Yeah, thats my deal. I don't give a rats ass about the bedding or clothes or stuff. However if I am paying for the big stuff and I have to put it together then I want to make sure we get the best crib and furniture for the price as well as not waste money on stuff we don't need. That is why I was trying to get a little feedback from the peanut gallery. I mean did ya'll really need that bassinet thing AND a crib. Wouldn't it be better to get one of those dressers that has a changing table on top of it rather than buying them seperately? Stuff like that. :thumbsdown:

You don't really need a bassinet. You can really use the crib right away but you may want the bassine next to your bed when the baby is first born. Don't spend much on the bassinet though. As soon as the baby can move around a little you should switch to the crib. The only thing to be concered about the crib is the bar spacing. Make sure it is not too wide so that the baby could get a leg caught in there. My Nephew broke his leg when he was an infant by getting it caught in between the bars. We got a changing table thing that was built into the dresser. But we ended up changing the baby all over the house. You don't even really need a changing table. Once you get good at changing diapers you can do it on a bed or couch.

I wouldn't get a used babyseat. Not because its not safe but because they get dirty after a while. The previous baby in that seat probably puked, shiit and drooled all over that seat. Not too mention the food and milk that was spilled on it.

My MIL is trying to pawn off my wife's old crib and matching furniture from when she was a baby. The focking thing has been sitting in an attic for a couple decades, that isn't safe to use is it? :doublethumbsup:

My head is spinning, help a redneck out. :thumbsdown:

Seriously, it is called a garage sale, or hope that the people who throw showers for your wife are incredibly generous. Babies are incredibly expensive and diapers and food will easily eat up that budget. All of that stuff you need can be gotten cheaply through Craigslist, garage sales, hand me downs, etc. If you buy it all new, plan on forking out several thousand dollars just to get started.

1: Keep your cack in your pants next time :thumbsdown:

2: This is wimmen work

3: Get a nanny

4: Bone the nanny

5: Take nekkid pics of the nanny

6: Start a new thread about how to let your wife know that the nanny is preggers

7: Beat up Northern Vike on general principles

8: Where the fock has Kutulu been recently? :thumbsdown:

9: Get a couple of kittens :mad:

10: Fock off :thumbsup:

Bassinette is not really necessary. We just had a crib.

I disagree on the changing table. It is helpful when you have a really messy diaper to have all of the stuff right there, you are not on your knees, and you are not worried about getting crap on the rug (those mats never cover everything). When we were done with the changing table, we threw it in the basement and that is where the kids keep their shoes and boots.

Agree on the disagree. Their pretty cheap and with wipes and diapers on the shelf below it is very convenient.

We had a bassinet (sp?) handed down from my wife's family. Since she breastfed, it was convenient to have the baby right there at first for night feedings. Otherwise, you (male) will be called upon to wake up and go fetch the baby.

Seeing as how I have no kids (thank god), the only advice I have is to either...

1) Push wifey down the stairs within the next couple of months,

or,

2) Run away, run far, far, away.

No seriously, I'm just kidding. My brother just knocked his wife up again. He has a six year old, and another on the way. He has this glassy "man I'm screwed" look in his eyes most of the time.

8: Where the fock has Kutulu been recently? :doublethumbsup:

:wave: Been on the Cape of Cod for a few. :banana:

hand held steam cleaner

Find a nice steep set of stairs.

Find a nice steep set of stairs.

not cool........

The only advice I have is find yourself a man purse to carry baby stuff in. If you are out alone nothing sucks more than carrying around that stupid pooh bag.

A crib that will ultimately convert into a toddler bed is nice.

You don't "need" a changing table. You can change a baby anywhere.

Put a baby monitor on your wife's side of your bed at your own peril. She (and probably you) will react to every "hmpf, snort, cough" through the night. If the baby needs you, you'll hear it. A baby monitor is good for nap-time when you want to be able to do something further away from the infant than one room.

Good luck controlling her spending on the unnecessary frivolous bullsh!t, though.

:wave: Been on the Cape of Cod for a few. :banana:

Too bad. :( ..I was hoping that you finally left us for good :wave:

Too bad. :cry: ..I was hoping that you finally left us for good :lol:

That day is coming. :clap:

She (and probably you) will react to every "hmpf, snort, cough" through the night. If the baby needs you, you'll hear it.

:music_guitarred: and don't forget reacting when the baby is finally quiet and hasn't made any noise, "is he all right? should we go check?"

The Car Seat:

definitely get one that's a travel-system (i.e. car seat attaches right into the stroller). You'll be surprised how much a child can/will sleep in that car seat and taking the whole car seat out to avoid waking the baby is key.

They are not a picnic to install. Your car probably has "The Latch" system and that's good because the old seatbelt w/c-clip method suxored. And seriously, bring the freakin' car seat to your local Police or Fire station. They are trained to install these things the right way, and believe me, if you've never done one before, they're a pain in the ass. It's your tax money that pays their salaries and paid for the 4 week safety course they had to take.

Yeah, yeah, I know... a real man installs his own car seats. Well, I don't buy it. Not when it comes to your kid's safety. I see tons of car seats that are flopping around and leaning on every turn/corner. There's a stat out there that something like 80% of car seats are improperly installed or no longer adhere to current safety codes... yes, car seats have a date code on them and they expire.

When installed properly, they don't move. Take it to the Police or Fire, and watch how they level and install the seat so you know how to do it properly.

Infant Crying:

It seems simple, but we eventually figured out that the crying is usually because of 3 things:

Hungry

Soiled Diaper

Wrong Temperature (baby is too hot or too cold)

before you go nuts thinking something is terribly wrong, address those three issues.

Sleeping:

despite the temptation, it is better if you can get the child to go to sleep without always holding/rocking. If the baby learns to be put in a crib while awake but tired, it will make your life easier.

We didn't do this. It took us a looooong time to get ours to go down at bedtime and then sleep through the night.

There's nothing better than holding your new child and it's tough to resists rocking and falling asleep with them, but in the long run, you'll pay for it.

seriously, congrats KSB.

You seem like a pretty smart, level-headed guy.

This is going to be one of the most difficult and rewarding things in your life.

Your perspective on nearly everything will change once you have a child.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Who would have known that you can get solid baby advice from a club of geeks on a fantasy football website. :lol:

From the sounds of it here, I'll be skipping the whole bassinette thing, just get a crib that can turned into a toddler bed, a dresser/changing table combo (they make these now and it is only one unit) and a car seat that fits into a stroller thing-a-majig as well. All these things have multi functions. We are going focking transformers with this stuff. :wacko:

The curly bored ain't got nothing on us! :lol:

Glad to hear your getting the changing table. Those are freaking awesome, must have.

The curly bored ain't got nothing on us! :blink:

Because men tend to think about usefulness, durability, longevity, and practicality.

Women tend to think about matching stuff, buying the latest & greatest that they saw in some baby magazine or Martha Stewart's home decor, or how they can one-up their friends who recently had babies and get sh!t that is more expensive, gaudy, and completely unnecessary for meeting the basic needs of an infant who will outgrow all of that sh!t within two years.

Because men tend to think about usefulness, durability, longevity, and practicality.

Women tend to think about matching stuff, buying the latest & greatest that they saw in some baby magazine or Martha Stewart's home decor, or how they can one-up their friends who recently had babies and get sh!t that is more expensive, gaudy, and completely unnecessary for meeting the basic needs of an infant who will outgrow all of that sh!t within two years.

Speak for yourself. :wacko:

I think about the nanny bending over the changing table. :blink:

Infant Crying:

It seems simple, but we eventually figured out that the crying is usually because of 3 things:

Hungry

Soiled Diaper

Wrong Temperature (baby is too hot or too cold)

before you go nuts thinking something is terribly wrong, address those three issues.

Good info. One thing regarding the crying, it could be colic. Not all babies get it, but it can be a horrible night. Since the wife couldn't keep em quite and I couldn't sleep, I'd get up and sit on the couch with my feet propped on a coffee table and the baby laying on back on my legs. I would then kind of pump the legs (slowly) and that seemed to work...no, no gas, but for some reason it worked.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Who would have known that you can get solid baby advice from a club of geeks on a fantasy football website. :cry:

From the sounds of it here, I'll be skipping the whole bassinette thing, just get a crib that can turned into a toddler bed, a dresser/changing table combo (they make these now and it is only one unit) and a car seat that fits into a stroller thing-a-majig as well. All these things have multi functions. We are going focking transformers with this stuff. :cry:

The curly bored ain't got nothing on us! :cry:

I forget if I said this earlier, but do NOT buy a used car seat. I'm not sure you can even sell them here in AZ because the sun beats on the plastic, nevermind the fact that your baby will be sitting in some other brat's piss and shiot. Also, and maybe this is obvious from the stroller comment, but it should be the kind that snaps into a base, the base of which stays firmly attached in the car.

I travel a lot and seen in airports recently car seats with wheels and a handle; sorta a built-in stroller. I have no experience with them, but they look hella convenient. :lol:

UPDATE!@#!

Little man has arrived. 2/12/09 4:32pm. 7lbs 9oz, 21 inches long, devilishly good looks, and hung like a horse. In short, he took after his daddy. :overhead:

Everything went well. Mom and baby are fine. And we took a few tips from this thread that have seemed to work well. :thumbsup:

UPDATE!@#!

Little man has arrived. 2/12/09 4:32pm. 7lbs 9oz, 21 inches long, devilishy good looks, and hung like a horse. In short, he took after his daddy. :overhead:

Everything went well. Mom and baby are fine. And we took a few tips from this thread that have seemed to work well. :thumbsup:

Congrats. Do you know who the father is yet?