Sign in to follow this  
yostevo

Name your signifcant sporting events/happenings you saw live

I'm going to game 7 of the Stanley cup finals and it got me thinking about the fact that I've seen some pretty significant happenings in my time. I've never had season tix to anything so all of these things were just random events. I guess I've been lucky.

Detroit Tigers

1) Justin Verlander's no-no in 2007. A sunny warm typical Tuesday vs. the Brewers and I just got the urge to snap up some tix and go. My closest friend turned me down for the game claiming some weak ass vagina excuse. I called him in the 8th inning to make sure he was watching. He will never live it down. :thumbsup: This game made you feel like a kid again.

2) July 9th 2007 Detroit vs. Boston. Curtis Granderson's absolute grand theft larceny of a Willy Mo Pena bid for a homerun. I honestly couldn't believe even though I saw it live. :shocking: Simply the greatest catch I've ever seen live or otherwise.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/media/player...b_tp400&v=2

Red Wings

1) Wings vs. Avalanche Game 4 of the Conference finals. The Wings destroyed the lanche 6-0 and this was the game where Marc Crawford went absolutely gonzo in a verbal tirade against Scotty Bowman. I was in a suite right behind this melee. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcznEjK0Zaw

Needless to say, it was one of the greatest hockey games I'll ever see until maybe:

2) 2009 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7 This story remains untold. :D

Super Bowl XL in Detroit

A local charity group was handling the program sales for the game and they needed 200 volunteers via word of mouth to work the game. The wife and I went and sold programs from the 50 yard line, lower bowl. We'd take a "break" and slam beers. Awesome environment. It doesn't get much better than that unless your home team is playing. :cry: good luck with that.

Detroit Lions

1) vs. Green Bay Packers 1993 NFC Wild card[/b] "The Sterling Sharpe catch game"

I felt physically sick after this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GfJ2-HPUh4 It's at the 2:34 mark

2) Went to the first NFL game post 9-11 in Cleveland. Ty Detmer who was just traded to the Lions from Cleveland for a 4th round pick threw 7 interceptions. It was a strange feeling to be in a crowded open stadium that day.

Pistons

1) 3/04/87 Detroit vs. Chicago. Michael Jordan drops a big fat 61 on the Stones. I believe he had 40 in the 2nd half. The most surreal basketball performance I've seen.

worth the view

2) I went to a playoff game against Indy in 2004. The budding rivalry that obviously got pretty heated. Not much else about that though. :dunno:

3) Palacevision for the clinching game of the 1990 championship when Vinny Johnson hit the shot with 00.7 on the clock. Alright so it wasn't the real thing but it was a huge crowd and ton of fun nonetheless.

They show the palace crowd at the end of the vid.

The birth of my kids. Crazy kool! :thumbsup:

Lions becomming the 1st ever team to go 0 and 16

I go to at least one baseball game a week, but nothing too exciting.

I saw Grace hit for the cycle, and Ryno made an error in the same game (which he rarely did)

Saw Palmiero's 500th HR when he was with the Rangers.

Was at the 1993 NBA Finals game 3 when it went to 3OTs..

1. Music City Miracle

2. Packers Bears...Majikowski pass from behind the line of scrimmage...or as Packer fans know it..."after further review, the Bears still suck".

3. Reggie White's last regular season game in Lambeau (against the Tennessee Oilers)

4. I can't recall which record it was...but one Ricky Henderson broke or tied at Milwaukee County Stadium...stole second and they had some ceremony and he got the base and so on.

I saw the AFC conference finals in Cleveland where Elway had "The Drive", and I think I was sitting next to the only two Broncos fans in the stadium. I also was at the bottle throwing game in Cleveland against Jacksonville, as well as the last game at Municipal Stadium before the Browns left for Baltimore where they literally tore apart the stadium after the game.

I was at the Bruins-Caps game where good friends Byron Dafoe and Olaf Kolzig squared off. Good times.

Don't go to as many baseball games as I used to, but I've always kept a mental list of significant events seen live.

I've seen a:

Triple Play (Gladden-Gagne-Hrbek)

Shutout (Allen Anderson, Frank Viola)

1-hitter (Edinson Volquez, kind of. It wasn't a complete game.)

stealing home (Dan Gladden)

Still need to see:

Cycle

No hitter :bandana:

Perfect game <_<

I was at the Snow Bowl game with the Tuck Rule. :bandana:

me too.

but we left early.

yup.

I was in the parking lot when Vinatieri hit the FG.

The guy that got us the tickets was hammered and had to work at 3am... he wanted to leave so we did.

Also, late 80s, early 90s... I was in the Boston Garden when the Bruins swept the Canadiens... Patrick Roy was pulled and it may have been the first time Boston ever swept Montreal.

I was at Game 4 of the 1988 Stanley Cup finals (the "blackout game").

The late Tom Mees of ESPN was interviewing a group of fans outside the game, and I was just out of the camera shot. :bandana:

That's all I got.. <_<

Saw the confernece finals at Staples the first two of Shaq and Kobe's 3 titles

Saw Emitt Smith break Paytons rushing record in Dallas. To this day the most disgusting sporting event I have witnessed. This was a close game with Seattle and it was ALL about Emmitt. He took his jersey off after every quarter to get a new one. His entire family came down and he was waiving to them the entire game (they sat right behind us and his wife is HOT). And all they did was feed him the ball to get this record.

Ended up losing the game and they deserved it!

Giants Packers NFC championship game in GB. Yea, that one! Overtime and 3,000 degrees below 0. But it was a blast!

Let's see if I can remember:

Patriots:

- SB 36: Patriots beat Rams. Best vacation ever. Vinatieri kick seals the deal.

- SB 39: Patriots beat Eagles. Second best vacation ever. McNabb pukes

- AFC Championship 2004: Patriots beat Colts. Manning gets picked off by Law 3 times

- Several other playoff games during the run, but I missed the Snowbowl game due to a business trip

Red Sox

- Saw Clemens win his 20th game in 1986

- Sox beat Indians 23-7 in 1999 ALDS for highest scoring game in playoff history. I had whiplash from watching the balls fly out of Fenway

- there are others, but I can't remember half of them

Celts

- 1984 playoffs - several games

Bruins

- Neely's 50 goals in 50 games

- Bruins beat Habs in Game 7 in '94

- Bruins beat Islanders in Game 5 of 83 series

me too.

but we left early.

yup.

The guy that got us the tickets was hammered and had to work at 3am... he wanted to leave so we did.

Terrible.

Terrible.

Agreed...I know several who left the Music City Miracle game and just heard the cheers.

Suckers!!!!

I was at game 7 of the DBacks/Yankees World Series in 2001. Best baseball game ever for me.

Went to the Pats/ Giants Super Bowl (it was supposed to be NE / GB!). Was in the 12th row or so just behind where Plax caught the winning TD pass. Go State.

me too.

but we left early.

yup.

I was a few feet away from missing it too. I left when they showed the replay of Brady's 'fumble." I was so disgusted, I said we should go. Even when we heard it was under review we kept going. We were about 5 feet from the gate when we heard "incomplete pass" and the crowd going nuts. He ran back to the seats and saw the rest of the game. Awesome night for football. :unsure:

oh yeah! Carlton Fisk Day at Fenway Park.

I was there when "27" was retired.

JETS monday night miracle comeback vs. the Dolphins.

Incredible game!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monday_Ni...rican_football)

I remember that! That late FG won me my fantasy game that week. At the time we had a goofy rule where 40pts given up cost your DST -15. I went into the game down by 4 with no players left and my opponent had the Dolphins DST. I ended up winning by like 5 or 6. :unsure:

When I was a kid, my mom got great seats to the Indy 500 for about ten years in a row. Paddock seats, right at the start/finish line, across from the pits, sweet. I saw lots of good stuff there including:

1. Rick Mears on fire - invisible fire (it was before they put an additive that makes the fire visible). You could feel the heat from across the track, and the stands around his pit cleared within seconds. You may remember the footage where they would use the extinguishers on him, then stop, but he would waive his hands because he was still on fire! Pretty disturbing.

2. A.J. Foyt pulled into the pits with engine trouble. They couldn't get him going again, so he gets out of the car, pushes the mechanic out of the way, grabs a wrench and just starts beating on the engine! Hilarious!

3. Closest finish ever in 1992 Al Unser Jr. beat Scott Goodyear by .043 seconds.

Also, I was at the game (I believe 1988) in Bloomington when IU beat Michigan in football. It was a nasty, cold, rainy day and when Michigan got their last posession, it started raining even harder and blowing into their faces. The crowd was cheering the rain even though we were soaked and cold. Bo Schembechler said it was "The darkest day in Michigan football history." Awesome!

Brock's record breaking steal, and he didn't hold the bag up over his head and announce "TODAY.ay.ay.ay I Am.m.m.m The greatest.est.est. est"

I saw Emmitt jump over the pile and jam his neck vs, the Broncos or bears in a preseason game. I was in the corridor buying beer.

I am probably the only one here who ever saw a homerun buy Elston Howard, from the Washington Senators, at the old Metropolitan Stadium in minneapolis. :wub:

I was at the Dolphins-Chargers 41-38 playoff game in the Orange Bowl in 1982 (the Kellen Winslow game).

I remember that! That late FG won me my fantasy game that week. At the time we had a goofy rule where 40pts given up cost your DST -15. I went into the game down by 4 with no players left and my opponent had the Dolphins DST. I ended up winning by like 5 or 6. :music_guitarred:

Yeah,

Incredible football experience. Many people left at the half and at the end of the third. But, as the JETS scored more and more people were returning to their seats. NFL films interviewed Mo Lewis about it. He said essentially ' And they were streaming back into their seats screaming J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!'

It's one of the great things about sporting events that they can provide so much suspense and tension. The place was absolutely rocking!

Also, at the end of the game Jason Taylor cried.

:wave:

I saw a combined no hitter for the braves in 93 or 94. I went to see the rocket win his 300th game in detroit on fathers day. The game ended up going 19 innings and boomer wells ended up getting the win with 7 innins of relief.

The New Orleans Saints vs Atlanta Falcons Monday Night Game, Sept 25, 2006. It was one of the most emotional events I have ever attended in my life, aside from my daughter being born and my wedding. Nothing comes close. U2 and Green Day signing "The Saints Are Coming". The "National Anthem". Team intoductions. Seeing friends I hadn't had contact with in over a year. When we blocked the punt in the first quarter, the noise made will never be matched again in that building. It was the start of a new beginning for us in many ways.

The New Orleans Saints vs Atlanta Falcons Monday Night Game, Sept 25, 2006. It was one of the most emotional events I have ever attended in my life, aside from my daughter being born and my wedding. Nothing comes close. U2 and Green Day signing "The Saints Are Coming". The "National Anthem". Team intoductions. Seeing friends I hadn't had contact with in over a year. When we blocked the punt in the first quarter, the noise made will never be matched again in that building. It was the start of a new beginning for us in many ways.

Was that the first game back? I don't remember.

Also, I think we can put that Mario vs. Reggie debate to bed. The Texans got that one right.

I forgot to add to the OP the first NFL game for the Lions played post 9-11. It was the Ty Detmer 7 interception game in Cleveland. The Browns delt him to us, and then he turns the ball over 7 times!

Weird feeling being in a stadium after the towers fell.

I forgot to add to the OP the first NFL game for the Lions played post 9-11. It was the Ty Detmer 7 interception game in Cleveland. The Browns delt him to us, and then he turns the ball over 7 times!

Weird feeling being in a stadium after the towers fell.

Been here for 8 years and don't know there is an edit button?

Been here for 8 years and don't know there is an edit button?

I've neve made a mistakes. :thumbsup:

Saw Nolan Ryan's fifth no hitter. Ironically it was against the Dodgers and broke Koufax's record.

superbowl XIX- SF/Mia

superbowl XXIV- SF/Den

been to misc other games:

ncaa sweet 16

baseball playoffs: cubs@giants, stl@giants, nym@giants, ana@giants, fla@giants

went to the tie-breaker game between padres and rockies 2 years ago

saw sharks close out nash in nash several years back

saw sharks close the avs in col.

superbowl XIX- SF/Mia

superbowl XXIV- SF/Den

been to misc other games:

ncaa sweet 16

baseball playoffs: cubs@giants, stl@giants, nym@giants, ana@giants, fla@giants

went to the tie-breaker game between padres and rockies 2 years ago

saw sharks close out nash in nash several years back

saw sharks close the avs in col.

You forgot to add saw sharks choke 17x

When I was 7 or 8, I saw some Phillies pitcher pitch a no-no. Clearly, it made a big impression.

You forgot to add saw sharks choke 17x

wasn't live.

At Islanders cup clinching game 4 vs the updstart Gretzkey and the Oilers

BEST game ever Live - hands down

1) I was at Verlander's no-no too. Still have the ticket stub(planning on framing it someday) what an unbelievable experience.

2) 1997 Lions vs Jets. Bill Parcells on the sidelines. Watched Barry break the 2,000 yard mark AND the Lions won the game to go to the playoffs. That was when the Lions were actually exciting.