Sign in to follow this  
Riddlen

My grandma is about to die of hospital

:thumbsdown: She is a reasonably healthy, active, overweight 82yo woman a month ago. Drives, shops, plays golf etc. She is fat, but hale overall. 3 weeks ago she breaks her ankle. goes to the hospital, they decide she needs a pacemaker which is fine. a week later she gets ankle surgery after a few delays cause of fluid on the lungs. 2 week after that (this past weekend) she is on life support and is about to die of pnamonia. I am not a blame doctors and hospitals guy but this is cahrazy. you shouldnt die of a broken ankle.

I am not going to try to rationalize the hospital thing, but when you are old, even simple things can kill you. There are all sorts of complications that can arise from even simple injuries like a fall. You will end up being bitter and angry if you try to understand it too much. Feel free to investigate as to whether there was some sort of malpractice, but I have dealt with this sort of thing before and (for me) it has always come back to the body just failing.

I am not going to try to rationalize the hospital thing, but when you are old, even simple things can kill you. There are all sorts of complications that can arise from even simple injuries like a fall. You will end up being bitter and angry if you try to understand it too much. Feel free to investigate as to whether there was some sort of malpractice, but I have dealt with this sort of thing before and (for me) it has always come back to the body just failing.

agreed. no one is going to sue anyone or anyhting its just seems like it escalated quickly.

I guess she couldn't survive a 1000 foot fall. :(

I am very sorry. I lost my grnadma in 2008, and all o her problems started due to a fall. She didn't even break anything, just kinda fell. She was gone pretty quickly too. Sucks ((hugs))

Medstoopid slept through class on broken ankle day. :music_guitarred:

Seriously, that sux man.

thanks and I like the medstudent tie in, thats funny stuff.

I had a friend (48 years old) whose cancer came back and he got chemo.. He developed pneumonia and died. :thumbsdown:

My 85 year old uncle bent over to pick up his hat, fell and was dead 3 weeks later. Makes one realize why so many old people move to Florida. The cold weather does some big time pruning.

The biggest issue is actually being IN THE HOSPITAL... She caught pneumonia which killed her, not the ankle... Thats why they wanted Giffords to GTFO of the hospital as quickly as possible and onto a rehab place with less chance of disease spreading...

The biggest issue is actually being IN THE HOSPITAL... She caught pneumonia which killed her, not the ankle... Thats why they wanted Giffords to GTFO of the hospital as quickly as possible and onto a rehab place with less chance of disease spreading...

Danknuggs is right. This had nothing to do with her ankle (although trauma may increase risk). Hospital acquired pneumonia is the most dangerous pneumonia as it is usually stronger than pneumonia you may catch at someplace like a school. Hospital pneumonia has usually built up a defense to antibiotics and other medicines. Old people and very young people are the most at risk of dying from it.

:thumbsdown: She is a reasonably healthy, active, overweight 82yo woman a month ago. Drives, shops, plays golf etc. She is fat, but hale overall. 3 weeks ago she breaks her ankle. goes to the hospital, they decide she needs a pacemaker which is fine. a week later she gets ankle surgery after a few delays cause of fluid on the lungs. 2 week after that (this past weekend) she is on life support and is about to die of pnamonia. I am not a blame doctors and hospitals guy but this is cahrazy. you shouldnt die of a broken ankle.

sorry for your loss. :(

T&P

Danknuggs is right. This had nothing to do with her ankle (although trauma may increase risk). Hospital acquired pneumonia is the most dangerous pneumonia as it is usually stronger than pneumonia you may catch at someplace like a school. Hospital pneumonia has usually built up a defense to antibiotics and other medicines. Old people and very young people are the most at risk of dying from it.

Therefore, the best way to kill off the population is to give them free health care. Hmmmm. That's just crazy enough to work.

Sorry to hear this.

Sorry to hear but stuff like this happens often. Like DankNuggs and Medstudent said, it'sbecause lots of deadly germs float around in the hospital and old folks are easily susceptible to them.

Don't beat yourself up over this. It's not your fault. Dammit, she is old. That's what old people do. They die.

thanks for the T&P. she passed this afternoon. it was sad, but she was old and it happens.

Very sorry for your loss.

GB and T&P

I hope my mother lives to that age !!

Shiit I don't expect to live that long.

Sorry to hear about your loss Riddlen. Pretty cool that your kids got to know their great-grandma for a bit.

thanks for the T&P. she passed this afternoon. it was sad, but she was old and it happens.

:(

Sorry about your loss Riddlen..........I was pulling for her.

Not literally of course, that would be weird.

Hospitals are very dirty places, I try not to touch anything when in them, even myself.

I was in the hospital 4 years ago because I caught a brain tumor, and they kept giving me coumadin, my whole body was red. I was so out of it I had no idea. When my brother came in he got the nurse, and they took me off that drug. I never want to be in a hospital again. The nurse just said that's what the doctor ordered. Smarten up a little bit.

Hospitals are very dirty places, I try not to touch anything when in them, even myself.

I was in the hospital 4 years ago because I caught a brain tumor,

I've heard of catching a cold, not a brain tumor.

:dunno:

It's easier than you might think, kind of like catching the ghey. :unsure:

Yeah, i'd like to play catch with someone and let someone else catch it....

Same thing happened to my Grandma a couple yrs back...she was feeeling under the weather and had a cough. Was very weak and lethargic. Some paramedics came to her house after my Mom and her sister called them....they suggested the hospital. Days later she was gone :(

My Mom and her Sister still kick themselves to this day for making that call...they both have no doubts that the hospital killed my otherwise, very healthy, beer drinking Grandma :angry: